Compressors. How many do you really need?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Noplan
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2018

Compressors. How many do you really need?
Two. One that does the work and another that looks fancy in the rack.

PhillipOrdonez

11 Oct 2018

I don't know how many, but i couldn't do it anymore with only vca units.

Kalm

16 Oct 2018

normen wrote:
10 Oct 2018
Kalm wrote:
10 Oct 2018
Man if yo want to learn the compressors, take one compressor and attempt tweaking all your necessary instances with that one only. You'll soon learn the character and reason why compressors are different, including their recovery, response times, transient detection, distortion, curves, and anything else that's not based on a ratio, attack, and release. I only use three in Reason. McDsp Moo Tube (which people either underrate or can't use), Synapse 160 emulation, and the SSL Bus Comp. I have to check out the other models but i just haven't needed anymore.
This is a great tip - for more than just compressors. You will only know WHY you might want a certain device when you experienced the limits of others.
It's how I taught myself, even after 7 years of education. . . Education won't teach you everything :geek:
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

O1B

16 Oct 2018

Three.

This is just one of them:

- True Stereo Dual Detector preserves your stereo image better than traditional linking
- Immaculate VCA: virtually no distortion, even with 20dB of gain reduction

• Information