Steerpike's Envelope

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Jagwah

03 Oct 2018

I use this device a lot and I have never had the envelope perform the way I'm hoping, maybe I'm not understanding the purpose of it.

I tend to work with small delay repeats, like 16ths and 8ths, and I was hoping this envelope would let me shape the delayed repeats like an envelope usually would. I can't seem to get the envelope to do this.

Is this how it is supposed to function, or are my delays too small to shape, or is there something else I'm overlooking?

Thanks!!

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

03 Oct 2018

Your assessment is likely correct and your feedback times are too small, or the amp attack is too long.

The envelope is triggered by MIDI, not by the delay repeats, so the feedback of the delay needs to be long enough. e.g, if the attack time is ten seconds, but the feedback results in a series of repeats that fade to silence in three seconds, then we can predict the delay won't really be heard, as the amp volume will still only have reached ~1/3 level.

So yes, it requires careful consideration to adjust the amp envelope settings. For short delays, the usual 16ths/8ths, with low feedback amounts you'll need a short attack. With long feedback amounts you can increase the amp attack time.

Jagwah

04 Oct 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
03 Oct 2018
Your assessment is likely correct and your feedback times are too small, or the amp attack is too long.

The envelope is triggered by MIDI, not by the delay repeats, so the feedback of the delay needs to be long enough. e.g, if the attack time is ten seconds, but the feedback results in a series of repeats that fade to silence in three seconds, then we can predict the delay won't really be heard, as the amp volume will still only have reached ~1/3 level.

So yes, it requires careful consideration to adjust the amp envelope settings. For short delays, the usual 16ths/8ths, with low feedback amounts you'll need a short attack. With long feedback amounts you can increase the amp attack time.
Ah now I understand, thanks for chiming in dude.

• Information