No, I do not regret anything....or?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Posts: 737
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 24 Sep 2018

I know this topic had probably been covered but I’m interested in hearing. I’ve bought a LOT of REs since their introduction and, yeah, there’s a few I regret. Well...more that I wish I’d used my cash on something else. I’m not out after slating any particular developers just saying what didn’t work for me. In any case, here’s a few I could have done without...what about you?

Aeon bundle
DNA Labs Hydronexius and Aquios
Uhbik Tremelo
KHs Trance Gate

...and well that’s pretty much it. Really thought there’d be more considering the amount I’ve got :).

Edit: Oh...I sometimes get a bit sad when I see stuff I’ve bought full price bundled in rigs or whatever. Or stuff included free in Reason updates (Rad Piano, Synchronous) but I guess it’s just to accept and move on with my life.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 4200
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 24 Sep 2018

Aeon sux heavily, good they left the shop. DNA never used. I own nothing from uhbik.

But the trance gate is pretty cool. Good for some quick gating if you need it. Not sure if i had payed the full price, but in the bundle it was ok.

I bought a few i never used till now... And probably have too many... But i sometimes just like to play around. And sometimes I just think, now I take this, and try that, and the results are pretty unexpected. That keeps it interesting. I just tried to get a pad out of Loquelic, ended with a sick slow rythmic AM Sound, put it into grain and got lost for 2h in total... Was awsome...sometimes this is just fun. Probably not the best if you need to make money with music.
:reason: 10, Win10 64Bit.

MrFigg
Posts: 737
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 24 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
24 Sep 2018
got lost for 2h in total... Was awsome...sometimes this is just fun.
Ha ha. Yeah. I do that all the time. And yeah, Trance Gate is ok really. :)

User avatar
Iapetus 9
Posts: 140
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 24 Sep 2018

I don't regret any of my RE purchases, because I tested them all thoroughly until the trial was up, and then decided if I was going to miss em enough to buy. I don't mess with IDT romplers, but I'd still buy a fistful of RE's if they were updated to include sample import. Now that I think about it, the one RE that I bought on impulse sale (kHs One) is the "one" RE I use the least. I don't regret the purchase, but the Legend just became my balls phat bass maker.
38L > 51D every time.

User avatar
demt
Posts: 735
Joined: 16 Sep 2016

Post 24 Sep 2018

i was like getting so carried away so i switched to hardware and now spend months on a single synth instead of days/hours fliting from bargain to essential.
its like still their in the morning instead of a menu.Some how ive got to spend sum time on europa sounds so good.
neutron; tb3; triggerfingerpro;3korg volca keys fm drums; kaos pad 3;zaquencer; akai mpk mini;2 zmx mixers; midiplus interface; behringer umc souncard, arturia drumbrute
hear scince reason 2.5

Resonator
Posts: 263
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: New York

Post 24 Sep 2018

No regrets over the past 6 years with all of my RE purchases. They’re all still as useful as the day I bought them, and some have even got better with added features. I still prefer REs over VSTs, though it’s nice to have that option when something is not available as a RE.

User avatar
kuhliloach
Posts: 564
Joined: 09 Dec 2015

Post 24 Sep 2018

Ha since you mentioned the Uhbik-T-- There are two funny things about Tremolos in Reason. One is spelling it wrong and doing a search for "Tremelo". The other is how deceptively simple it is to build a tremolo using factory tools. In fact it's such an important lesson a new Reason installation should not launch until the user proves they can build a tremolo.

MrFigg
Posts: 737
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 25 Sep 2018

Ha ha. Someone in the mods dept. changed my title of this thread from “ Non, Je ne regrette rien”. I only had that as the title because I thought everyone (nearly) would recognize the Edith Piaf song title. Oh well. Now it’s been translated. Thanks :):):). Ha ha.

MrFigg
Posts: 737
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 25 Sep 2018

kuhliloach wrote:
24 Sep 2018
Ha since you mentioned the Uhbik-T-- There are two funny things about Tremolos in Reason. One is spelling it wrong and doing a search for "Tremelo". The other is how deceptively simple it is to build a tremolo using factory tools. In fact it's such an important lesson a new Reason installation should not launch until the user proves they can build a tremolo.
Ha ha ha. Sorry :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremelo

User avatar
dvdrtldg
Posts: 1061
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 25 Sep 2018

I have way too many REs but every now and then I deliberately pull one or two out that have been gathering dust, and force myself to do something with them. It's usually worth the effort, and helps to keep buyer's remorse at bay

EdGrip
Posts: 1283
Joined: 03 Jun 2016

Post 25 Sep 2018

I almost bought Trance Gate, but then realised just in time you can do the same thing with an Alligator and a Matrix (saved in a combi for future use, of course!)

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 4200
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 25 Sep 2018

EdGrip wrote:
25 Sep 2018
I almost bought Trance Gate, but then realised just in time you can do the same thing with an Alligator and a Matrix (saved in a combi for future use, of course!)
Yep, you can do gating in 100 ways. This khs thing is the quickest imo for simple gating, pumping or "side-chaining". I found Alligator always cumbersome - maybe a "view" for the pattern would help a lot.
:reason: 10, Win10 64Bit.

EdGrip
Posts: 1283
Joined: 03 Jun 2016

Post 25 Sep 2018

Yeah, I don't really use the internal patterns. I like to be able to see the pattern, hence the Matrix. (Or Redrum, if you prefer)

In general I seem to have got away with not making regrettable RE purchases, although I confess I never seem to reach for the Skrock synths or JP's Titan delay. (Soz man, I just don't get on with the interface.)

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1091
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 25 Sep 2018

I've had my longest dry spell with Reason ever. Turgid and infrequent. Then i realised i wasn't experimenting as i used to. I had all these devices and was barely scratching the surface of any of them.

Open that old RE and experiment the hell out of it :puf_bigsmile:

MrFigg
Posts: 737
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 25 Sep 2018

Zac wrote:
25 Sep 2018
I've had my longest dry spell with Reason ever. Turgid and infrequent. Then i realised i wasn't experimenting as i used to. I had all these devices and was barely scratching the surface of any of them.

Open that old RE and experiment the hell out of it :puf_bigsmile:
The Zac is back to attack the rack. :):):)

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1091
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 25 Sep 2018

MrFigg wrote:
25 Sep 2018
Zac wrote:
25 Sep 2018
I've had my longest dry spell with Reason ever. Turgid and infrequent. Then i realised i wasn't experimenting as i used to. I had all these devices and was barely scratching the surface of any of them.

Open that old RE and experiment the hell out of it :puf_bigsmile:
The Zac is back to attack the rack. :):):)
That's nice, appreciated. Maybe, hopefully. I think i got hung up on trying songwriting with so many new great devices rather than getting dug into those great devices one by one. Choice overload. My latest file is just Kong (utilising the r10 drum sounds) and Europa. It's a great synth.

User avatar
kuhliloach
Posts: 564
Joined: 09 Dec 2015

Post 25 Sep 2018

MrFigg wrote:
25 Sep 2018
kuhliloach wrote:
24 Sep 2018
Ha since you mentioned the Uhbik-T-- There are two funny things about Tremolos in Reason. One is spelling it wrong and doing a search for "Tremelo". The other is how deceptively simple it is to build a tremolo using factory tools. In fact it's such an important lesson a new Reason installation should not launch until the user proves they can build a tremolo.
Ha ha ha. Sorry :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremelo
But seriously... I was working with a producer a while back. They asked for a tremolo and I spelled it wrong in the search, and didn't realize at that time how easy it is to make one. Fail. Later that evening I was facepalming.

Resonator
Posts: 263
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: New York

Post 25 Sep 2018

Image

User avatar
Social Exodus
Posts: 257
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Location: The wilds of North Idaho

Post 27 Sep 2018

Never look back.

Never.
To Reason is Divine! :reason:(v10) :re:(Too many to count) :refill:(A few choice items)

User avatar
mbfrancis
Posts: 575
Joined: 02 Feb 2015

Post 27 Sep 2018

Trance Gate is pretty cool, I've had some cool ideas come out of it. Super quick gating and I use it for odd times.

I don't use the FXpansion compressors.

User avatar
dvdrtldg
Posts: 1061
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 28 Sep 2018

I've got a few that I rarely use, but every now and then I'll take one out for a spin, just to make sure I'm getting my money's worth. Even Uhbik T and those terrible Heavyocity AEON instruments have seen some decent action

Probably the only RE I'd sell if I could would be Le Space. It's not a bad delay unit, but I've just never gotten to like the UI - and also I've got a million other delays

There are a few utility REs that had their day but have now been superseded by better devices - PSDN envelope generator, BZR-1 signal generator, VMG-01 sample delay (this is taken care of in the box now, yes?), the Quadelectra CV mod devices

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 457
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 28 Sep 2018

Another vote for Hydronexius. I want my money back on this one.

The AEON REs tarnished the Heavyocity name for me.

And I regretted Predator RE for the longest time until I permanently attached a Juno chorus to its output and now it really shines. Papen's synths are like Propellerhead's synths - too dull and up-the-middle for me, but the Juno chorus makes it sound fantastic.

MrFigg
Posts: 737
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 29 Sep 2018

hurricane wrote:
28 Sep 2018
Another vote for Hydronexius. I want my money back on this one.

The AEON REs tarnished the Heavyocity name for me.

And I regretted Predator RE for the longest time until I permanently attached a Juno chorus to its output and now it really shines. Papen's synths are like Propellerhead's synths - too dull and up-the-middle for me, but the Juno chorus makes it sound fantastic.
I got a few Rob Papen REs and honestly hardly look at them. Glad I got them bundled. Anything Juno rocks :). I think nearly everything across the two DNA Labs romplers sounds essentially the same...and it’s a pretty boring “the same”.

MrFigg
Posts: 737
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 29 Sep 2018

That there with Hydronexius...I felt it was a pretty cynical move putting it on sale for €19 and then bringing out Hydronexius 2 about a month later ( also costing €19) but charging all those that bought the first one €15 to upgrade. Yeah. Sure they’re cheap but like I already said, they’re pretty boring and I personally could’ve used my money to buy a much better refill instead. That said, I always had the chance to try first but sale fever got the better of me again.

User avatar
gullum
Posts: 301
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Faroe Islands

Post 29 Sep 2018

I don't regret buying any but I have many RE's and there are a ton of them I never use
Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX,CME xKey 25,Millennium MPS-600 Jackson, Yamaha, Harley Benton, Marline Guitars/Bass's
https://www.facebook.com/humanrestored
http://soundcloud.com/humanrestored

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Ottostrom and 1 guest