Gating recorded drums, SSL v G8 RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Dabbler

23 Sep 2018

For those who record drums with mics at home. Or deal with samples of such. Basically sampled audio.

Do you get transient taming with the SSl Console gate that you are happy with?

Do any if yous use the https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... amic-gate/?

I think I want to remove the "hair" from my tracks. The spikes you see in the attached picture, from something I recorded yesterday in by basement.

It sounds ok to me, but, don't those high peaks restrict the potential overall volume level of the track, if say I wanted to make it like annoyingly loud?

I've never used that G8 RE so I hate to get it to find it does nothing the SSl can't do.

I think I want the functionallity you see at 2:50 in the video here https://musictechstudent.co.uk/music-te ... nt-gating/

thoughts?
Attachments
Snare hair.PNG
Snare hair.PNG (6.44 KiB) Viewed 448 times

Loque

23 Sep 2018

Not sure if a Gate is what you are looking for. What frequencies are the spikes? Maybe an EQ or multiband compressor or limiter is better here. If it belongs to the sound, a multiband transient Shaper would do the job.
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

23 Sep 2018

Subtle saturation is the classic treatment for extreme or "spiky" transients, originally by recording slightly hot to analog tape and more recently by just about any saturation technique out there, from guitar pedals to plugins (tastes vary, so try different approaches to find the one that works for you).

You can be much more subtle with saturation on peaks than just about any other approach IMO.

BTW, gating is the opposite of what you're looking for, as it will affect the LOWEST levels, not the HIGHEST.
Selig Audio, LLC

Dabbler

23 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
23 Sep 2018
Not sure if a Gate is what you are looking for. What frequencies are the spikes? Maybe an EQ or multiband compressor or limiter is better here. If it belongs to the sound, a multiband transient Shaper would do the job.
This attachment shows the frequency analysis from Audacity.

I have compression on the track going into Reason.

Thanks Loque
Attachments
Snare hair Frequency Analysis.PNG
Snare hair Frequency Analysis.PNG (45.49 KiB) Viewed 422 times

Dabbler

23 Sep 2018

selig wrote:
23 Sep 2018
Subtle saturation is the classic treatment for extreme or "spiky" transients, originally by recording slightly hot to analog tape and more recently by just about any saturation technique out there, from guitar pedals to plugins (tastes vary, so try different approaches to find the one that works for you).

You can be much more subtle with saturation on peaks than just about any other approach IMO.

BTW, gating is the opposite of what you're looking for, as it will affect the LOWEST levels, not the HIGHEST.
So saturation as an insert effect?

• Information