Disperser CV??

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
BillyRayRansom

21 Sep 2018

This may be a weird question but is it possible to use the cv connections on the disperser to control (for example) a saturation plugin? The way the tool hones in on specific frequencies labeling them by key makes me wonder if I can use that part of the device to control another effect? So for example if I wanted to only add saturation to a specific frequency as designated by disperser I could do so. Is this even possible? All help is appreciated thank you.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Loque

21 Sep 2018

Dispersers' CV are input only, so you can use them to control Disperser.

But nobody will stop you, if you want to use the same CV signal to control Disperser and any other devices. That is why spider/merger were created.

And yes, you can do a lot fo weird stuff in Reason with frequency band splitting, manipulating each band and so on...I recommend to specify your idea clear so we can help you. And keep it easy for the start, or you will get lost easily.
Reason12, Win10

BillyRayRansom

21 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:Dispersers' CV are input only, so you can use them to control Disperser.

But nobody will stop you, if you want to use the same CV signal to control Disperser and any other devices. That is why spider/merger were created.

And yes, you can do a lot fo weird stuff in Reason with frequency band splitting, manipulating each band and so on...I recommend to specify your idea clear so we can help you. And keep it easy for the start, or you will get lost easily.
Ahhh input only thanks for that. Yea I've been using multiband saturation for a while and thought it would be nice to some way use the GUI of the disperser (which shows freq AND note value) to saturate specific frequencies of an audio source. Seligs color eq kind of does what I want, I'm just not ready for that purchase not to mention I already own disperser.

Loque

21 Sep 2018

BillyRayRansom wrote:
21 Sep 2018
Loque wrote:Dispersers' CV are input only, so you can use them to control Disperser.

Ahhh input only thanks for that. Yea I've been using multiband saturation for a while and thought it would be nice to some way use the GUI of the disperser (which shows freq AND note value) to saturate specific frequencies of an audio source. Seligs color eq kind of does what I want, I'm just not ready for that purchase not to mention I already own disperser.

You can start with the Reason Stereo Imager for simple Multiband. It has a dedicated output for the Low or the Hi band on the backside. You can cascade it to have multiple frequency bands.

You can also check out several Rack Extensions for that. There also some free ones, like the one from AirRaid Audio:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... -splitter/

Here in the forum you can find a free device checker, so you can get all free devices, so you do not need to start purchasing while you are in expermination phase.

There also free Mid/Side splitters and stuff like that. Have fun.
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

21 Sep 2018

BillyRayRansom wrote:…So for example if I wanted to only add saturation to a specific frequency as designated by disperser I could do so. Is this even possible? All help is appreciated thank you.

If all you want is to “add saturation to a specific frequency” just use Pulveriser, with a band pass filter set to come BEFORE the “dirt” section.

If you want them both set to the same frequency, put them both in a combinator and control both frequency knobs with a Combi Rotary.

Note that Disperser is not quantized to pitch - for example, in the screen shot on the store page it shows 200 Hz and G3, while G3 is ACTUALLY 195.9977 Hz. So I’m guessing the display is simply showing the closest chromatic pitch, not the scale/key/note that you’re actually tuned to. Make sense?

But you don’t need Disperser for the effect you described, if I’m understanding what you’re asking. Unless what you want to do is saturate before or after Disperser?
[emoji3]

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

BillyRayRansom

23 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
BillyRayRansom wrote:
21 Sep 2018

You can start with the Reason Stereo Imager for simple Multiband. It has a dedicated output for the Low or the Hi band on the backside. You can cascade it to have multiple frequency bands.

You can also check out several Rack Extensions for that. There also some free ones, like the one from AirRaid Audio:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... -splitter/

Here in the forum you can find a free device checker, so you can get all free devices, so you do not need to start purchasing while you are in expermination phase.

There also free Mid/Side splitters and stuff like that. Have fun.
Im on it thanks Loque

BillyRayRansom

23 Sep 2018

selig wrote:
BillyRayRansom wrote:…So for example if I wanted to only add saturation to a specific frequency as designated by disperser I could do so. Is this even possible? All help is appreciated thank you.

If all you want is to “add saturation to a specific frequency” just use Pulveriser, with a band pass filter set to come BEFORE the “dirt” section.

If you want them both set to the same frequency, put them both in a combinator and control both frequency knobs with a Combi Rotary.

Note that Disperser is not quantized to pitch - for example, in the screen shot on the store page it shows 200 Hz and G3, while G3 is ACTUALLY 195.9977 Hz. So I’m guessing the display is simply showing the closest chromatic pitch, not the scale/key/note that you’re actually tuned to. Make sense?

But you don’t need Disperser for the effect you described, if I’m understanding what you’re asking. Unless what you want to do is saturate before or after Disperser?
[emoji3]

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Wow good info about the Disperser note read out. The pulveriser idea sounds pretty close i will try it asap. Never really wanted to actually use the disperser effect... just find a way to cv its freq slider to control another device but to no avail. Guess i may have to invest in that color eq[emoji6] to accurately zero in with out a reference chart 🧐 thanks guys

• Information