ReSwitcher

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 2094
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

Post 17 Sep 2018

Really surprised it was so long before anyone saw the necessity for this but it's a super useful RE!

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... -selector/

One audio feed in, 4 out. Great for guitarists especially, as you can set up channel switching without having to automate a tonne of controls. I suppose this also functions like 4 send effects as well, which is kinda neat! I'm sure someone will find a use for that :)
Enjoy!

http://www.paulortizmusic.com

2017 MBP | 16GB | Steinberg UR44 | Reason 10.4 | Cubase Pro 10.5

User avatar
QVprod
Posts: 2264
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 17 Sep 2018

Actually JP put out a RE similar to this not too long after they opened the sdk for developers. https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... -splitter/

that said, ReSwitcher does seem easier to operate for switching at first glance.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 5644
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 17 Sep 2018

Nice and includes a Gain stage. There are a few ways how you can do audio splitting in Reason stock or with other RE. This thing is another one, and maybe the A/B/C/D _switching_ is quite interesting here and there, to allow control of the signal flow to specific different targets by a modulation. This could be quite difficult to recreate with other devices.
:reason: 10, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
dioxide
Posts: 1105
Joined: 15 Jul 2015

Post 17 Sep 2018

This looks great. Exactly what I needed for the way I used to play live, but I have other uses for this. The simplicity makes it better than other options for me.


User avatar
dioxide
Posts: 1105
Joined: 15 Jul 2015

Post 17 Sep 2018

gullum wrote:
17 Sep 2018
pongasoft has similar devices https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... ts-switch/
As far as I recall this is a merger. The ReSwitcher is a splitter.

Marc64
Posts: 518
Joined: 24 Jan 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 19 Sep 2018


More stuff at http://kentvalden.se

User avatar
turn2on
Posts: 206
Joined: 13 Mar 2015

Post 19 Sep 2018

Hi Mark64, it’s not the same.
ReSwitcher have not only Enable/Disable buttons (in Multi mode) as Glitch. It also have Main mode - where you can switch only one active output at one time (step switcher) and it’s very useful in many directions

Also ReSwitcher include FadeIn/FadeOut for switching outputs

User avatar
geronimo
Posts: 365
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: France

Post 20 Sep 2018

turn2on wrote:
19 Sep 2018
Also ReSwitcher include FadeIn/FadeOut for switching outputs
Where are this controls, please ?

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 5644
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 20 Sep 2018

Marc64 wrote:
19 Sep 2018
Can't you do similar in Glitch?
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... ch-effect/
You mean with the fx output? This could already be done with the 14:4 Mixer.
:reason: 10, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
turn2on
Posts: 206
Joined: 13 Mar 2015

Post 20 Sep 2018

geronimo wrote:
20 Sep 2018
turn2on wrote:
19 Sep 2018
Also ReSwitcher include FadeIn/FadeOut for switching outputs
Where are this controls, please ?
FadeIn, FadeOut have default minimal size if you switch any channels AorBorCorD, or turn On/Off ABCD in multi mode.
Minimal size is not configurable in ReSwitcher but it is a 33ms (comfort for any kind of signal clicks). Why you interesting in Fade In/Out control? Its absolutely technical part to decline any clicks at moment of switching. Without it - you can listen every time of switching - big clicks (how signal break). Fades used with minimal size crossfade zero point at start of the switching if you connected to ABCD and if disconnected too.

S1GNL
Posts: 79
Joined: 31 Jan 2018

Post 20 Sep 2018

Handy!

You can recreate it with one audio merger/splitter, one 6:2 mixer and the programmer

User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 2094
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

Post 20 Sep 2018

Oh yeah well aware that it can be created using two (or three or four) devices but I'm a one job = one device kinda guy, and a switcher is a pretty fundamental part of any modular system, nevermind the guitar applications!

In fact, this would be great in a modular setup as you could have up to 4 different filter types and then switch between them to create a customisable multi-mode filter. The only thing really missing is the ability to label the outputs. Then you could label them up something like Clean, Crunch, Rhythm and Lead for guitar, or LP12, LP24, BP, HP or whatever for a filter setup. Still, a really handy device in its current form!
Enjoy!

http://www.paulortizmusic.com

2017 MBP | 16GB | Steinberg UR44 | Reason 10.4 | Cubase Pro 10.5

User avatar
geronimo
Posts: 365
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: France

Post 20 Sep 2018

turn2on wrote:
20 Sep 2018
Why you interesting in Fade In/Out control? Its absolutely technical part to decline any clicks at moment of switching.
I just asked the question because I built a Combinator as in your video with a Dr. Octo Rex, a Mix 14: 2, a Reswitcher and one Pulsar Dual LFO.
The LFO is connected to the CV1 of the Combinator to control the A / B / C / D change of the Reswitcher.
And sometimes, after changing A / B / C / D, the audio signal of a channel is frozen. I thought it could come from a fade out setting.

User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 2094
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

Post 20 Sep 2018

turn2on wrote:
20 Sep 2018
geronimo wrote:
20 Sep 2018


Where are this controls, please ?
FadeIn, FadeOut have default minimal size if you switch any channels AorBorCorD, or turn On/Off ABCD in multi mode.
Minimal size is not configurable in ReSwitcher but it is a 33ms (comfort for any kind of signal clicks). Why you interesting in Fade In/Out control? Its absolutely technical part to decline any clicks at moment of switching. Without it - you can listen every time of switching - big clicks (how signal break). Fades used with minimal size crossfade zero point at start of the switching if you connected to ABCD and if disconnected too.
Yeah I had meant to comment that the switching is really nice and smooth! No clicks or pops but also no noticeable lag. Perhaps a switch at the back with two or three cross fade times would be a good idea for an update but as it stands it works really well right now.
Enjoy!

http://www.paulortizmusic.com

2017 MBP | 16GB | Steinberg UR44 | Reason 10.4 | Cubase Pro 10.5

User avatar
turn2on
Posts: 206
Joined: 13 Mar 2015

Post 20 Sep 2018

Im trying now to test about what you say.
Idea of switcher - hot-switch around ABCD, but not fast as FW-RW-FW-RW loop as it can be used with LFO.
There can be really problem of summing fades but its not real bug - its sum if we talk about same things.

But I can not replicate any frozen channel situations.

If set faster LFO rate, you can listen sum of fades that can be listened as gates / dropouts of signal at the moment of switching.
First, try to change DrREX to any synth with long pressed note when you switching (because rex loops have rhythms and harder to understand whats really going on).

For Pulsar - in NON Tempo-Synced mode you can listen changes from 4.0 Hz and upper (with Level =100%).
For Tempo-synced mode - upper than 1/4 (with Level = 100%).
And its really listened as drop-outs because you have sum of fades.

Now you know that its not a bug, just a fades drop-outs at fast LFO. And you can have it only if use very fast changes as example FW-RW-FW-RW loops...
With many tests, lower fades can create aggressive clicks and its break main idea of smooth switching.. We build it more for static use and switches around 1/4 bar of sequence. More faster switches can have dropouts of signal. Now you know why.
Its not high priority but point for future (about fades control).

User avatar
geronimo
Posts: 365
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: France

Post 20 Sep 2018

OK, I understand .

User avatar
turn2on
Posts: 206
Joined: 13 Mar 2015

Post 03 Oct 2018

We just add in new update of ReSwitcher - custom text labels to channels ABCD for faster recognize what devices is connected to ReSwitcher channels

Image

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... -selector/

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 5644
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 03 Oct 2018

Nice. That is a good addition.
:reason: 10, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
dioxide
Posts: 1105
Joined: 15 Jul 2015

Post 01 May 2019

Just a thing I noticed in this device, which I think is a mistake or graphic bug. When the device is folded it shows a Reason effects On/Off/Bypass switch, but this appears to only be a graphic, you can't actually interact with it. I think it should be removed as it isn't actually functional.

User avatar
turn2on
Posts: 206
Joined: 13 Mar 2015

Post 04 May 2019

Hi. Yes it GUI bug from early stage when devivce must be effect unit (all effects use bypass). Now it helper utility. Sorry for bug, at near time we fix it.

User avatar
dioxide
Posts: 1105
Joined: 15 Jul 2015

Post 04 May 2019

turn2on wrote:
04 May 2019
Hi. Yes it GUI bug from early stage when devivce must be effect unit (all effects use bypass). Now it helper utility. Sorry for bug, at near time we fix it.
Thanks for the response! It isn't a big deal bug-wise, but it confused me and will confuse others I think. Good to hear a fix is planned. Thanks.

User avatar
turn2on
Posts: 206
Joined: 13 Mar 2015

Post 14 May 2019

v.1.0.2 now released (GUI bug fix in folded mode)
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... -selector/

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 5644
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 14 May 2019

Thanks for the update!
:reason: 10, Win10 64Bit.

OverneathTheSkyBridg
Posts: 241
Joined: 15 Jan 2016

Post 16 May 2019

Never knew about this device til I saw this thread. The labeled knobs definitely sold me on it. Buying this when I get home!

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest