Is everyone buying the Umpf Club Drums?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
antic604

07 Sep 2018

I take it that the "Popular right now" section of the Props' shop is dynamically reflecting what people are buying and for few weeks now Umpf is always at the top. Further positions vary, but Umpf stays there:

popular.png
popular.png (174.46 KiB) Viewed 2107 times

Are people really buying it like crazy, or what?! :shock:

My only issue with this RE was (is) the price - current Eur49 would've been fair as a standard and at -50% during the sale I'd get it as well.

Loque

07 Sep 2018

No, not interested. I have enough of drum stuff and can create my own with the synths and plugins i have. And yes, maybe for 25€ i would add it for that moment, i just want to browse for some stuff...maybe...
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2018

€25. Yeah!! Otherwise nah!!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Ahornberg

07 Sep 2018

maybe because you get the Drum Sequencer for free

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
07 Sep 2018
And that’s why it maybe should be cheaper for those who’ve already got the Drum Sequencer (even if you got the Drum Sequencer free with R10 ha ha).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Ahornberg

07 Sep 2018

MrFigg wrote:
07 Sep 2018
Ahornberg wrote:
07 Sep 2018
And that’s why it maybe should be cheaper for those who’ve already got the Drum Sequencer (even if you got the Drum Sequencer free with R10 ha ha).
maybe both will be part of Reason 11 like Radical Piano and Synchronous

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
07 Sep 2018
MrFigg wrote:
07 Sep 2018

maybe both will be part of Reason 11 like Radical Piano and Synchronous
Yup. Bought them too...full price :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

friday

07 Sep 2018

I bought it with the full price. Nice tool to shape your kick drums, but the high price has occupied me to this days. The actual price is fair, 99 was to high fu * * Why can I always not wait :-)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2018

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. If you don’t need it now then just wait. Example: Rigs 3: “Special crossgrade price for those with another Rig.” Nice I thought. About a month later €50 cheaper. As the Sex Pistols once asked...”Do you ever get the feeling you’ve been cheated?” :):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Ahornberg

07 Sep 2018

MrFigg wrote:
07 Sep 2018
If you don’t need it now then just wait.
That's true for everything in the shop.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
07 Sep 2018
MrFigg wrote:
07 Sep 2018
That’s my point man :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mcatalao
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2018

I have it and i like it.

Don't let the name fool you. The umpf can be used on everything else. I find it a great tool with these new drum refills they put on R10, and the rhythms generated by the drum sequencer work really great with it.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
07 Sep 2018
MrFigg wrote:
07 Sep 2018
Yeah... I've bought Isotope Ozone and Neutron and then upgraded just to know i could have bought it in an audiodeluxe promo 40% off some weeks ago. So that's true for everything in the world.

I wouldn't have mastered 10 assorted songs and 2 cd's for clients with it though... and no i didn't needed it badly because i had Ozone 7 and Neutron 1 and i already mixed and mastered everything easily with all the other stuff i had in reason. Still, the more tools you have the better.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2018

PS.: 49 € is fair. I guess 99 might be a bit overpriced but tbh, you'd take a lot longer to have similar results with any other device on reason, IMHO.

scratchnsnifff

07 Sep 2018

I got it when it came out, I love the chop section. Very fun for making percussion loops, and the compression in it has a great sound. It sounds more like a transient shaper. Which makes it more useful for EDM genres
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

KirkMarkarian

07 Sep 2018

I got it for $49, and I love it. 18 years ago, I synthesized a bunch of drum and percussion samples, used to use them in redrum, but haven't in a long while. Popped 'em in UMPF and got me the abstract beats I was looking for by pairing it with Kompulsion. The chop effect puts out the right amount of glitch, and the compressor is so easy to use. Everything on it is designed to make designing rhythmic patterns that actually sound good "easy". Wonderful sound-shaping effects, and quick, effective sample manipulation.

Wishes:

I wish the compressor and other effects worked on the individual outs, mainly so I would be able to use the UMPF all by itself pre Master Channel.

My other long-range wish is for some sort of variation of the Grain synth engine built into the individual drum channels. Just the "Long Grain" portion.

I imagine looping granular stretching of melodic sounds paired with the effects of both the individual channels and the chop/delay/verb and compressor. UMPF can make ambient and other types of music depending on the samples used. I'd like to be able to expand upon it's already great engine, and have an all-in-one sample mangling monster.

The issue with UMPF is that most are not seeing it as anything more than a drum sample playback machine. It's great on all audio material. Pair it with a sequencer like the Reason drum sequencer, or Kompulsion and you'll be in generative music heaven.

riemac

07 Sep 2018

Can somebody please tell me, if it is possible with Umph to vary the length of the playback of a drum sample by changing the note length in the sequencer? For example if I want every 4th open HH to play longer than the others.

Ahornberg

07 Sep 2018

riemac wrote:
07 Sep 2018
Can somebody please tell me, if it is possible with Umph to vary the length of the playback of a drum sample by changing the note length in the sequencer? For example if I want every 4th open HH to play longer than the others.
No, but the closed HH cuts the open HH. But both Kong and Redrum work the same way.
If you take a look at the envelope, there's no sustain parameter, only a hold value that determines the length of the sound.
But you can automate the hold parameter to change the length of the sound (although this is not an intuitive way to set the note length).

ast3rix

07 Sep 2018

I bought it when it was on sale. It’s cool it’s much better than using the nnxt to part out drums and gives you basic control over sound quality. I am rather bias when it comes to drums thou, I can’t live without my MPC.

KirkMarkarian

07 Sep 2018

ast3rix wrote:
07 Sep 2018
I bought it when it was on sale. It’s cool it’s much better than using the nnxt to part out drums and gives you basic control over sound quality. I am rather bias when it comes to drums thou, I can’t live without my MPC.
Absolutely! I forgot to mention that - the UMPF (to me) is like the MPC that I hoped Kong would be. Don't get me wrong, I use Kong all the time, its synths are fantastic, albeit a little same-y after a while. I find the UMPF to be how I imagined an MPC would be for most people. Like, I fell into it right away, it's easy to use, and can make a TON of music on it's own. For me, it has the vibe that I wish more REs would have. Less of a "it can do this or that", and more "I wanna touch it, wanna use it". Europa has that vibe down as well. Can do a bunch of great stuff and the interface screams "TOUCH ME". :D

riemac

07 Sep 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
07 Sep 2018
riemac wrote:
07 Sep 2018
No, but the closed HH cuts the open HH. But both Kong and Redrum work the same way.
If you take a look at the envelope, there's no sustain parameter, only a hold value that determines the length of the sound.
But you can automate the hold parameter to change the length of the sound (although this is not an intuitive way to set the note length).
To bad, but thanks for the confirmation. Are you shure that you can automate the hold or the release? If I remember my trial correctly this wasn't possible.

Ahornberg

07 Sep 2018

riemac wrote:
07 Sep 2018
Ahornberg wrote:
07 Sep 2018

To bad, but thanks for the confirmation. Are you shure that you can automate the hold or the release? If I remember my trial correctly this wasn't possible.
You can automate it by hitting record and moving the hold point or by inserting the automation line in the sequencer.
You can not automate it by right clicking in the hold value. I think that's what you tried during your trial period.

Nielsen

09 Sep 2018

I'm trying to warm up to this device, and I'm currently using it in a track that is shaping up nicely, partly thanks to a great kick shaped by Umpf. That's the "issue" though. Rack Extension trials make it into a new production and then I suddenly feel attached to a device I haven't really paused to scrutinize against other options already at my disposal. That said, I'm going to use the whole trial period before making up my mind on this one, so maybe I'll grab it at Black Friday.

Hydrosonic

09 Sep 2018

For me it's just a glorified Sample pack, with a sample playback plugin. It offers nothing that I can't do in other DAWs such as Ableton or Studio One. Sure the samples are nice, but like I say I can live with out it, not worth $99 or $49 PH would have been better selling this at $49 and reducing it to $25 in the sales, I would have bought it for anything less than $35 but even at $49 I am not interested in it.

Faastwalker

12 Sep 2018

I've not tried it yet. I wasn't all that interested when I saw it. I should give it a TRY I guess.

• Information