I have been a GUI snob

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2018

I have a number of Khs REs. Some free and some bought on sale. I have always looked at them and thought "boring" based on the GUI and never given them much of a chance. Well today I fired up their Delay and their Stereo and well...I can now say I have been mistaken. Perfect for what I needed just when I needed it. I have been a GUI snob but have, today, now learned a lesson. That's it. Have a fine day.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

FLVZ

06 Sep 2018

My name is Kai, I have a GUI snobbery problem. I just want you to know you're not alone in this battle Mr Figg. Last week I bought the Ad480, which previously I refused to even listen to the sound examples because the GUI just didnt look that appealing for a reverb, but upon actually trying the reverb, I just had to buy it, it was performing miracles on some of my mixes!

It must be said though, there are certain GUIs I just struggle to embrace because of how I work. For example I will almost always prefer synths like VK2/MonoPoly/Px7 over ones like eXpanse & Predator. Theres usually just too much going on with the latter synths and also so many hidden features, but I attribute that to the steep learning curve and also my lack of time or motivation to commit to learning everything inside out. Instant gratification is a problem for this generation ey?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2018

Kai...can I ask. What other reverbs, if any, do you have? Does the ad480 do anything that they don’t? Interested to hear. And glad I’m not alone :).

Edit: You know what man. Don’t even answer that. I really don’t want a reason to buy another reverb. Ha ha. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Ixus

06 Sep 2018

Haha! I have a few but never tried them... Guess im a bit of a snob aswell. I shall use them in my next project.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2018

Ixus wrote:
06 Sep 2018
Haha! I have a few but never tried them... Guess im a bit of a snob aswell. I shall use them in my next project.
The tape stop is actually pretty good. Looks like a tape 😂😂😂
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

O1B

06 Sep 2018

My name is O1B and I too am a GUI snob.

But, I LIKE the KH-1 system. (I want em on the touch bar)
I too prefer PX7/MPoly/VK-1 over heavy visualizations.
And, I ain’t changing.

.... Uhbik’s are excellent GUIs as well...
My Real World Tools now resemble them (just arrived):
0A56EAB0-5606-4502-A5DF-593684088F71.jpeg
0A56EAB0-5606-4502-A5DF-593684088F71.jpeg (142.62 KiB) Viewed 3521 times
A Word for Cwejman on GUIs and Design:

EdGrip

06 Sep 2018

I still can't entertain Papen synths because of the GUIs.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2018

EdGrip wrote:
06 Sep 2018
Strangely enough I haven’t been able to get on board with any Rob Papen stuff and not just because of the GUIs. Maybe I should be quiet about that though for fear of starting something. Another day another thread.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

antic604

06 Sep 2018

I'm on a record already for admitting that I'll choose between - comparable, ofc - REs to buy based on how they look, because I like my rack varied, vibrant and colourful. To the point that I refuse to purchase bland looking REs (like Zero), despite knowing full well they're awesome otherwise :(

It's one of Reason's strengths, so I'm not sure why more devs don't play to it - like all the Skrock's synths are black & gray. Either make bold use of colours (Jiggery-Pokery, Kuassa, Rob Papen, Prop's own devices, etc.) or develop your own, recognisable style and stick to it (Panda, Selig, Synapse, kHs, etc.).

Also, for this very reason I never collapse my devices or channels to 1-unit lines :o

I just love how Reason looks! <3

jimmyklane

06 Sep 2018

If you think about it in a certain type of way: we are ALL GUI-Snobs just for choosing Reason. To my line of thinking, it’s the only “pretty” DAW. Everything else is just sort of form follows function type design
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

EdGrip

06 Sep 2018

I dunno. Live 10 is very pretty in a very different way.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2018

I don't care if I'm a GUI snob.

GUI matters. There are plenty of perfectly good sounding REs that I hardly ever use or will never buy because of the GUI.

Loque

06 Sep 2018

EdGrip wrote:
06 Sep 2018
Agree. But the biggest problem for me is, my fingers are too big and i cant put them between two knobs :-)
Reason12, Win10

Marco Raaphorst

06 Sep 2018

a gui can be handy but it has nothing to do with sound.

it is often pure eye candy.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
06 Sep 2018

That’s my point man :):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

aeox
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2018

Yea I think we all are in some ways.. Still, the most important thing for me will always be the sound/function. So I won't be buying something just because it looks cool but will definitely buy something with a horrendous GUI as long as it does what I need it to do.

Marco Raaphorst

06 Sep 2018

MrFigg wrote:
06 Sep 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
06 Sep 2018

That’s my point man :):):)
sorry :D

Ixus

06 Sep 2018

What GUI acctually can provide for some, me atleast, is inspiration. Pulling up that nice looking RE can be pretty sweet if you like the looks.
A bit silly maybe but who dont want to have nice looking things around you eh!?

Marco Raaphorst

06 Sep 2018

Ixus wrote:
06 Sep 2018
What GUI acctually can provide for some, me atleast, is inspiration. Pulling up that nice looking RE can be pretty sweet if you like the looks.
A bit silly maybe but who dont want to have nice looking things around you eh!?
I disagree. I judge things not by how they look. Eye candy is really a easy marketing trick but it doesn't work for me. It's all about sound for to me.

Ixus

06 Sep 2018

Well if something doesnt sound good I will not use it either. But if u have a good sounding looker at hand then that does the trick for me ;)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2018

I have also bought REs which both look and sound crap. Aeon anyone?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

selig
RE Developer

06 Sep 2018

antic604 wrote:
06 Sep 2018
It's one of Reason's strengths, so I'm not sure why more devs don't play to it - like all the Skrock's synths are black & gray. Either make bold use of colours (Jiggery-Pokery, Kuassa, Rob Papen, Prop's own devices, etc.) or develop your own, recognisable style and stick to it (Panda, Selig, Synapse, kHs, etc.).
I guess I (Selig Audio) should actually be somewhere between the two schools - three of my first four devices share a "look", but there are three others that do not (two of which are quite colorful). And if you could see what's in the pipe line, you'd probably put me much closer to the former than the latter…

I suffered from this "problem" with the early McDSP products, eventually "giving in" and checking them out (Filter Bank, Compressor Bank, etc) only to find they because my instant "go to" plugins from that day forward. Was a good lesson to learn, that when folks listen to your music they cannot "see" what your tools look like. Sure, I like to be inspired when I work like the next guy, but now I get inspired MORE by the music I can make (and the ease at which I can make it) rather than how cool my tools look.

Obviously, the best of both worlds is great; tools that look good AND sound good. But long before I thought about the look of the tools, I remember coming to the realization I would rather listen to great performances on a crappy format than great recordings of crappy performances. And FWIW, I never judged hardware as much by looks as I do software. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Adabler
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2018

MrFigg wrote:
06 Sep 2018
The tape stop is actually pretty good. Looks like a tape 😂😂😂
adorbs.JPG
adorbs.JPG (12.01 KiB) Viewed 3289 times
khz keepin' it real!

I often put it in the rack just for the looks!
:reason: 12, Win10

hurricane
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2018

I am seriously considering buying this mainly because I like the way it looks (and it's cheap).

equila.png
equila.png (190.71 KiB) Viewed 3260 times

I also prefer hot girls. But they're not cheap.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

antic604

06 Sep 2018

hurricane wrote:
06 Sep 2018
I am seriously considering buying this mainly because I like the way it looks (and it's cheap).
Lol, I saw this earlier today and was tempted to get it for the same reasong :oops: :lol:

• Information