Rotor RE compared to JP combi

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2018

So ...last day of the sale. Anybody bought Rotor either now or in the past? Jiggery Pokery did a Rotary Combi which is on his site as a free download. Any comments, opinions or general musings on the RE would be greatly appreciated by me. And nope...can’t try. Working...again!!! :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

WeLoveYouToo

01 Sep 2018

yes, i REALLY like rotor.
i used to have a rotary speaker organ, but when i moved to the west coast it was just too big and heavy to bother with... this plugin really does sound better than micing my old organ... when the speaker rotates you really need a combination of close and room mics to get the levels right as it rotates, but this plugin just does what you’d end up doing in mixing automatically.
it comes with a generic organ instrument, but i use it on live organ and it makes it sound really lush in the mix.
also it works well on lots of different sounds, vocals and guitars, it’s really good as a soft textural effect.
it’s the only propellerhead effect i have ever bought that i felt was not possible to recreate by making a combinator of stock plugins.
highly highly recomended.
Last edited by WeLoveYouToo on 01 Sep 2018, edited 2 times in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2018

WeLoveYouToo wrote:
01 Sep 2018
yes, i REALLY like rotor.
i used to have a rotary speaker organ, but when i moved to the west coast it was just too big and heavy to bother with... this plugin really does sound better than micing my old organ... when the speaker rotates you really need a combination of close and room mics to get the levels right as it rotates, but this plugin just does what you’d end up doing in mixing automatically.
it comes with a generic organ instrument, but i use it on live organ and it makes it sound really lush in the mix.
also it works well on lots of different sounds, vocals and guitars, it’s really good as a soft textural effect.
it’s the only propellerhead effect i have ever bought that i felt was not possible to recreate by making a combinator of stock plugins.
highly highly recomended.
Great. Thanks :). I’d use it predominantly on guitars if I get it. Appreciated.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

01 Sep 2018

I thought this thing came with R8 or R9?!?
Reason12, Win10

eusti

01 Sep 2018

Not a traditional organ kind of guy, but I seem to recall Revival ( https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-extension/revival/ ) being praised for its effects section.

D.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2018

eusti wrote:
01 Sep 2018
Not a traditional organ kind of guy, but I seem to recall Revival ( https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-extension/revival/ ) being praised for its effects section.

D.
Hmmm. Now there’s a thing. Saying that, I’m not a traditional organ kind of guy either. I’m really in doing ambient guitar soundscapes just now and thought this could maybe add some nice textures.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

WeLoveYouToo

01 Sep 2018

https://allihoopa.com/s/zTU2mPQ1
here is a song i am working on at the moment...
first a loop of clean organ (stock traveller organ from pangea) then with rotor added, then in the mix with clean organ, then in the mix with rotor on the organ.

eusti

01 Sep 2018

MrFigg wrote:
01 Sep 2018

Hmmm. Now there’s a thing. Saying that, I’m not a traditional organ kind of guy either. I’m really in doing ambient guitar soundscapes just now and thought this could maybe add some nice textures.
Well, John (who was more active on this list a little while ago) used the Revival FX for guitar stuff a lot.

D.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2018

eusti wrote:
01 Sep 2018
MrFigg wrote:
01 Sep 2018

Well, John (who was more active on this list a little while ago) used the Revival FX for guitar stuff a lot.

D.
The more I look at the effects section the more interesting it looks. Thanks for the tip.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mbfrancis

01 Sep 2018

I own Rotor, the JP organ refill, the Selig B3 Refill, and the JP B3T RE. The Rotor presets are my go-to for organic B3 patches, every time - thick and warm. YMMV.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2018

mbfrancis wrote:
01 Sep 2018
I own Rotor, the JP organ refill, the Selig B3 Refill, and the JP B3T RE. The Rotor presets are my go-to for organic B3 patches, every time - thick and warm. YMMV.
Thanks. Have you tried Revival? The Rotary speakers in the FX section appear to have a lot of tweaking possibilities. At the moment it’s really a matter of price for me. €25 for Rotor or €79 for Revival. Best way of course would really have been the Backline Rig but I’ve unfortunately (?) bought around 80% of the REs in that rig for full price already so the savings there for the REs i might use aren’t great. Oh well...I guess I’ve got a day to think about it or just hang in til Black Friday.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mbfrancis

02 Sep 2018

MrFigg wrote:
02 Sep 2018
mbfrancis wrote:
01 Sep 2018
Thanks. Have you tried Revival? The Rotary speakers in the FX section appear to have a lot of tweaking possibilities. At the moment it’s really a matter of price for me. €25 for Rotor or €79 for Revival. Best way of course would really have been the Backline Rig but I’ve unfortunately (?) bought around 80% of the REs in that rig for full price already so the savings there for the REs i might use aren’t great. Oh well...I guess I’ve got a day to think about it or just hang in til Black Friday.
Nope haven't tried Revival, although I hear the FX section is great. Rotor is one thing, and for me it does it pretty well.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

Prints

02 Sep 2018

I want Rotor, but I’m waiting for it to be $15

selig
RE Developer

03 Sep 2018

Rotor is a fine effect, but doesn't sound exactly like any real Leslie I've recorded (and I've recorded a lot). For one, it's WAY to bright - the tweeter horn on a real Leslie really does nothing on the top 2-3 octaves (not an exaggeration). This is very similar to how guitar amps don't have much if any energy above 5 kHz and why early amp sims sounded thin and unrealistic because they didn't account for this.

I even made this suggestion to the early beta of Rotor, and they toned it down a bit (was far worse before!).

I don't think this means it isn't useful as an effect, it just means that IMO there are better "realistic" rotary effects out there.
Selig Audio, LLC

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2018

selig wrote:
03 Sep 2018
Rotor is a fine effect, but doesn't sound exactly like any real Leslie I've recorded (and I've recorded a lot). For one, it's WAY to bright - the tweeter horn on a real Leslie really does nothing on the top 2-3 octaves (not an exaggeration). This is very similar to how guitar amps don't have much if any energy above 5 kHz and why early amp sims sounded thin and unrealistic because they didn't account for this.

I even made this suggestion to the early beta of Rotor, and they toned it down a bit (was far worse before!).

I don't think this means it isn't useful as an effect, it just means that IMO there are better "realistic" rotary effects out there.
Goood :). I’ll save my €25 towards your next RE in that case. :):):). What will you that be d’you think?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

WeLoveYouToo

06 Sep 2018

selig wrote:
03 Sep 2018

that's interesting.
i never had an actual leslie, just a similar organ i got from a church sale, but one of the things i remember being frustrated with is that my recordings of it never sounded as bright and lively as it did in my recording space. not that it was the brightest organ ever made, but it had a really nice sound. the rotor effect gives me the feeling i wanted to record. i cannot attest to how good an emulation it is since i havent had that organ for so long, but maybe the brightness you mention is why i fell in love with the effect

• Information