Question about the possibility of a Macro Player device.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
OverneathTheSkyBridg

30 Aug 2018

We've seen the requests for a more advanced Combinator before. My question for developers: Is it possible to give people this functionality through a player device?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Loque

30 Aug 2018

No.

Players are Midi notes (Note, Gate) only.

I would like to see that aswell. A dvice, that can control other devices to randomize them or to cover them like a Combinator. PRobably more usaces are conceivable.
Reason12, Win10

scratchnsnifff

30 Aug 2018

Yeah I feel like they would have to make a combinator SDK, something that can look at a synth and see all of its automatable parameters

Have a macro system
Have everything the combinator has, but more
But idk how likely that would be, I don’t see there being much else to do to the combinator.

More matrix slots per device, knobs/buttons, velocity as a source, random as a source, text input to sequencer, right click (to a housed device) and route to rotary.

I feel like there’s only so many places you could go with the design of the combinator maybe it could have a built in modulator or something or maybe even a sub oscillator

But in my opinion I think keeping the combinator as a macro system/out of the box modulation system works best

This is not to say that I wouldn’t like to see 3rd party combinators, I just think it makes more sense to fix what’s there and add the few needed features.

Then move to other feature requests and pressing issues :)
But that’s just me
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

selig
RE Developer

30 Aug 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:Yeah I feel like they would have to make a combinator SDK, something that can look at a synth and see all of its automatable parameters…
Wow, I’ve never thought of that or heard anyone else mention it before. But that’s an AWESOME idea.

There is a device SDK, a simplified instrument SDK, and now a Player SDK.

Why not a Combinator SDK (and a Sequencer and Mixer SDK in the long run).

A Combinator SDK would essentially let devs create custom Combinators. This would allow obvious things like a dev designing a Combinator specifically for their own devices, as well as creative panel designs for task specific controls (multi-FX Combis, Drum Combis, Synth Combis, Mastering Combis, etc).

Additionally, one could expanding on the programmer section adding different ways to map panel controls to device controls (something I’ve proposed for years).

All in all, something that would not only be potentially cool and useful, but also take care of all the varied “Combinator II” requests!
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

househoppin09

30 Aug 2018

Yeah, no kidding! That would be a dream come true. Can we convince people to transition away from making "Combinator 2" requests in favor of making "Combinator SDK" requests? :)

OverneathTheSkyBridg

30 Aug 2018

I like the idea of a Combinator SDK. Another way to go about it could involve building Macros right into the Sequencer Track. Possibly something that can pop up on the bottom like the Regroove Mixer does, and have all the options for creating your own Macro setup on a per Sequencer track basis. Have it saveable as a patch as well. :) It could allow you to do a lot more from the Sequencer and have common functions available to you without having to switch back and forth to the rack all the time.

scratchnsnifff

31 Aug 2018

selig wrote:
30 Aug 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:Yeah I feel like they would have to make a combinator SDK, something that can look at a synth and see all of its automatable parameters…
Wow, I’ve never thought of that or heard anyone else mention it before. But that’s an AWESOME idea.

There is a device SDK, a simplified instrument SDK, and now a Player SDK.

Why not a Combinator SDK (and a Sequencer and Mixer SDK in the long run).

A Combinator SDK would essentially let devs create custom Combinators. This would allow obvious things like a dev designing a Combinator specifically for their own devices, as well as creative panel designs for task specific controls (multi-FX Combis, Drum Combis, Synth Combis, Mastering Combis, etc).

Additionally, one could expanding on the programmer section adding different ways to map panel controls to device controls (something I’ve proposed for years).

All in all, something that would not only be potentially cool and useful, but also take care of all the varied “Combinator II” requests!
:)

Now I do partially agree, I just don’t know if I’m convinced that there are a lot of places to go with.

I’d love a combi that had a randomize all function and an option to setup how many matrix slots, how many knobs etc.

Now if they did do this, as stated before. They would absolutely need to implement all the features of the current one + more
I gusss my issue is that I personally can’t think of what else could come of an entire sdk for that device.

That is not to say that someone like yourself couldn’t come up with out of the box ideas :p
It’s not you... it’s me!

Haha but in all honesty I’d welcome the concept as long as the props themselves make their own version while also releasing the sdk alongside a couple of other things (think of how they did 10.1, it worked out nicely)

With all of this being said, what do you think some crazy features for a macro system could entail? I’d like to see a drag and drop routing system like massive. Or also have the rings around the knobs so you can see the modulation amounts/rates

scratchnsnifff

31 Aug 2018

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
30 Aug 2018
I like the idea of a Combinator SDK. Another way to go about it could involve building Macros right into the Sequencer Track. Possibly something that can pop up on the bottom like the Regroove Mixer does, and have all the options for creating your own Macro setup on a per Sequencer track basis. Have it saveable as a patch as well. :) It could allow you to do a lot more from the Sequencer and have common functions available to you without having to switch back and forth to the rack all the time.
I love this idea, because I believe we shouldn’t have any limitation with modulation inside of a modular type of ecosystem

A FB friend told me ableton has a nice macro system that almost rivals the combinator. Idk if it works like that though

But yeah the ability to have as many rotaries,buttons and matrix slots
Now that I think of it, I wonder if it would be possible to have a rotary movement turned into a CV source

For example.
Creating an automation clip and the movement of what ever rotary could be turned into a CV. Out

OverneathTheSkyBridg

31 Aug 2018

[/quote]

I love this idea, because I believe we shouldn’t have any limitation with modulation inside of a modular type of ecosystem

A FB friend told me ableton has a nice macro system that almost rivals the combinator. Idk if it works like that though

But yeah the ability to have as many rotaries,buttons and matrix slots
Now that I think of it, I wonder if it would be possible to have a rotary movement turned into a CV source

For example.
Creating an automation clip and the movement of what ever rotary could be turned into a CV. Out[/quote]

Yeah I was thinking of Renoise's macro system when I wrote that but Ableton's is a lot like that as well. As for a CV out I think you could easily do that by directing a macro at a device like that free 8 channel CV generator and do it that way. I'd envision a macro system that operates on a higher level than the rack.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

selig
RE Developer

31 Aug 2018

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:I like the idea of a Combinator SDK. Another way to go about it could involve building Macros right into the Sequencer Track. Possibly something that can pop up on the bottom like the Regroove Mixer does, and have all the options for creating your own Macro setup on a per Sequencer track basis. Have it saveable as a patch as well. [emoji3] It could allow you to do a lot more from the Sequencer and have common functions available to you without having to switch back and forth to the rack all the time.
This would be pretty different from the combinator approach, the main difference being you could only address one device at a time with this approach. We really need both…

Selig Audio, LLC

groggy1

01 Sep 2018

selig wrote:
31 Aug 2018
OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:I like the idea of a Combinator SDK. Another way to go about it could involve building Macros right into the Sequencer Track. Possibly something that can pop up on the bottom like the Regroove Mixer does, and have all the options for creating your own Macro setup on a per Sequencer track basis. Have it saveable as a patch as well. [emoji3] It could allow you to do a lot more from the Sequencer and have common functions available to you without having to switch back and forth to the rack all the time.
This would be pretty different from the combinator approach, the main difference being you could only address one device at a time with this approach. We really need both…

I like the idea too. If the goal is to help create a ton of combinator “wrappers” for every vst/re that best exposes an ideal set of controls, then is the best way:
A) dev implements combinator sdk api?
B) reason let’s users do the Params mapping’s to knobs, pick devices knobs, etc - and then save it into some shareable patch?

I think (a) could lead to better/advanced ux (like having ui in combinator to pick oscillator), but (b) would cover more synths (like native instruments who seem unlikely to jump on the reason bandwagon)

michal22

02 Sep 2018

It will be great. Why should we have only one combinator? After all, there can be various combinators - specialized for specific tasks. I also have a lot of ideas for different combinators.
I subscribe to this idea with all my heart.
Besides, I think that giving developers the largest possible part of the cake will be a good solution and good for Reason. Propellerhead should direct all efforts to develop the program and the SDK, and leave the creation of the tool to external companies. That's my opinion. It is also worth using the integrated Reason environment compared to other DAWs and make an advantage of it.
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

• Information