Synapse Fat Space

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Aug 2018

Anybody got anything to say about this RE. A reverb is a reverb is a reverb? Tsar is my weapon of choice along with Deep Reverb. Both great. Am on my way to buy Animus as well. Just interested in any views. Thanks :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Aug 2018

This one is different in my opinion. For me it's not my normal go-to reverb like Tsar or Deep Reverb (for big synth sounds) but something to be used for special occasions like an effect.
It's pretty cool imo. I don't use it that often but I don't regret bying it.

raymondh

25 Aug 2018

I find fat space really good for creating thick dense reverbs and it is really quick to set the decay curve. I especially like using it on drums.

Complementary to Deep Reverb.

selig
RE Developer

25 Aug 2018

I agree this is a reverb all it's own. In the past I would use an AMS reverb (NonLin2) to get a similar effect, and later an algorithm in the Lexicon 480 could achieve this effect more like what Fat Space does.

So for me, it fills a big gap in the reverb world that I've not had access to for some time now, as even in the VST world there were none that quite "got" the effect right IMO.

The typical applications are for short dense room types of reverb, especially on short percussive sounds (any sound that doesn't last long from drums/percussion to pluck sounds to any sound that cuts off quickly). The way I use it is to add it to a track that may not be standing out or quite cutting through in a mix (because it's short), and help lengthen it a bit. I work between the amount (send) and the length/curve setting so that it "extends" the sound a bit without sounding obvious or separate from the original sound. The curve control is essential here, even more than the length, in that when you can match the decay curve of the original you can add more "send" and not be as "obvious" in the mix.

There is no other reverb in Reason that accomplishes this feat so easily, and none in the VST world that does this as well as Fat Space that I'm aware of (though it may exist in some form).

In my mix world I basically need three types of reverb: the long swirling "lexicon/color" type of reverb (RV7000 works great for this IMO), the mid length "neutral" reverb like a plate or natural room (TSAR, AD480, Reverberate), and the short powerful small space reverb of which Fat Space fills the bill quite nicely (especially for denser applications).
Selig Audio, LLC

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Aug 2018

Brilliant. Thanks all. Opinions, descriptions and applications much appreciated.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

raymondh

25 Aug 2018

selig wrote:
25 Aug 2018
I agree this is a reverb all it's own. In the past I would use an AMS reverb (NonLin2) to get a similar effect, and later an algorithm in the Lexicon 480 could achieve this effect more like what Fat Space does.

So for me, it fills a big gap in the reverb world that I've not had access to for some time now, as even in the VST world there were none that quite "got" the effect right IMO.

The typical applications are for short dense room types of reverb, especially on short percussive sounds (any sound that doesn't last long from drums/percussion to pluck sounds to any sound that cuts off quickly). The way I use it is to add it to a track that may not be standing out or quite cutting through in a mix (because it's short), and help lengthen it a bit. I work between the amount (send) and the length/curve setting so that it "extends" the sound a bit without sounding obvious or separate from the original sound. The curve control is essential here, even more than the length, in that when you can match the decay curve of the original you can add more "send" and not be as "obvious" in the mix.

There is no other reverb in Reason that accomplishes this feat so easily, and none in the VST world that does this as well as Fat Space that I'm aware of (though it may exist in some form).

In my mix world I basically need three types of reverb: the long swirling "lexicon/color" type of reverb (RV7000 works great for this IMO), the mid length "neutral" reverb like a plate or natural room (TSAR, AD480, Reverberate), and the short powerful small space reverb of which Fat Space fills the bill quite nicely (especially for denser applications).
That's great advice!

Good point about it making sounds longer. A good example would be making the short Fairlight Orchestra Hit have a longer tail. I remember hearing the original sample and thinking "no way that's not how it sounds on the records". Fat reverb and a bit of compression fixes that! :)

two shoes

26 Aug 2018

I love Fat Space for drums and percussive sounds! I can't give you any kind of technical explanation why it works so in this application - I just drag the evelope shaper line around (usually down and to the left) and get sounds I like.

botnotbot

26 Aug 2018

One nice piece to note is that Fat Space is one of those rare reverbs that has a 'sync' button for the pre-delay, making it very easy to dial in the right amount when you want your pre-delay synced to tempo.

scratchnsnifff

29 Aug 2018

I haven’t noticed that many powerhouse options for reverbs in the world of Reason

That being said, both synapse reverbs are well worth the money, the fat space in particular is great for a percussion bus or for a quick reverb tail sidechained to a synth

It also has a reverse function which is great for adding on a synth and automating the on/off

If you look up reversed reverb tutorial on YouTube you’ll see why this is a fun trick to add ear candy

Yeah the fat space isn’t an all in one, but the one thing it does: works brilliantly
For the sale price, get two of them XD

Or get the fat space and the ad480 (not sure if that’s on sale right now but that’s another reverb that’s worth every penny)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
29 Aug 2018
I haven’t noticed that many powerhouse options for reverbs in the world of Reason

That being said, both synapse reverbs are well worth the money, the fat space in particular is great for a percussion bus or for a quick reverb tail sidechained to a synth

It also has a reverse function which is great for adding on a synth and automating the on/off

If you look up reversed reverb tutorial on YouTube you’ll see why this is a fun trick to add ear candy

Yeah the fat space isn’t an all in one, but the one thing it does: works brilliantly
For the sale price, get two of them XD

Or get the fat space and the ad480 (not sure if that’s on sale right now but that’s another reverb that’s worth every penny)
Thanks :). I’ve got Deep Reverb. To be honest I think I got “sale fever”. Usually happens... aaah aaah. Cheap stuff. Gotta buy. This time I made myself wait a couple of days and I actually got around to thinking that instead of buying more stuff I should just focus on the stuff I’ve got. (Nearly 200 REs...maaaan!!!). So that’s what I did and you know what? I think I’m fine :). Music is being made. Saying that, Black Friday is just around the corner. Thanks again though for the input.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Zac

29 Aug 2018

I think Selig said it all. This is always my first choice of reverb to try on drums. It really is worth trying it out to see what it can do.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2018

Scratchnsniff mentioned the ad480. I wasn’t even aware of that RE. Must’ve passed me by somehow. €19 on sale just now. How does it compare to the Softube Tsars?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Zac

29 Aug 2018

MrFigg wrote:
29 Aug 2018
Scratchnsniff mentioned the ad480. I wasn’t even aware of that RE. Must’ve passed me by somehow. €19 on sale just now. How does it compare to the Softube Tsars?
I dislike trying for a few reasons but you'd answer your questions within a few minutes of trying them...

Loque

30 Aug 2018

MrFigg wrote:
29 Aug 2018
Its a good reverb, but till now I probably did not used all its power since it is a bit weird.

TSR1 is overpriced, very clean but does not work always and sometimes it sounds boring.

I still need to explore all the reverb modes and possibilities of RV7000... Especially if you modulate it or combine it with other fx.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2018

Zac wrote:
29 Aug 2018
MrFigg wrote:
29 Aug 2018
I dislike trying for a few reasons but you'd answer your questions within a few minutes of trying them...
Hmm...well that IS true :).
Don’t like trying either.
Also...must stop buying.
...and crying.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

FLVZ

30 Aug 2018

This thread is making me want to spend money :lol:

scratchnsnifff

30 Aug 2018

MrFigg wrote:
29 Aug 2018
I like the AD better, but I have the cheaper Of the two soft tube reverb tsar series

The AD comes loaded with many useful presets

I love the dimension fader, idk something about the ad just sits right with me

It can sound big and bright, and I really don’t get that out of the small tsar, I’ll eventually get the more expensive tsar but for now I vote for the AD>tsar
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
30 Aug 2018
MrFigg wrote:
29 Aug 2018
I like the AD better, but I have the cheaper Of the two soft tube reverb tsar series

It can sound big and bright, and I really don’t get that out of the small tsar, I’ll eventually get the more expensive tsar but for now I vote for the AD>tsar
It’s the cheap Tsar I’ve got and I use it more than any other reverb I’ve got. Thanks for the AD tip. I’ll try and check it out before it goes up in price again.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

selig
RE Developer

30 Aug 2018

MrFigg wrote:
scratchnsnifff wrote:
30 Aug 2018

It’s the cheap Tsar I’ve got and I use it more than any other reverb I’ve got. Thanks for the AD tip. I’ll try and check it out before it goes up in price again.
The AD480 is my go-to for long uncolored reverb, in contrast to using long hall RV7000 settings to emulate Lexicon “color” (basically chorusing in the feedback loop). The AD can be shaped nicely too, but it’s good IMO to start with such a “clean” basic sound.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2018

selig wrote:
30 Aug 2018
MrFigg wrote:
The AD480 is my go-to for long uncolored reverb, in contrast to using long hall RV7000 settings to emulate Lexicon “color” (basically chorusing in the feedback loop). The AD can be shaped nicely too, but it’s good IMO to start with such a “clean” basic sound.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Well, without being sycophantic, I guess if you use it then that’s recommendation enough for me :). Cool
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Aug 2018

Ok. Confession time. I just looked at the RV7000 for (almost) the first time last night and well...it’s EXACTLY what I was looking for. Amazing ethereal sounds in my guitar. Especially in conjunction with Kuassa Effectors. Happy.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

31 Aug 2018

MrFigg wrote:
31 Aug 2018
Ok. Confession time. I just looked at the RV7000 for (almost) the first time last night and well...it’s EXACTLY what I was looking for. Amazing ethereal sounds in my guitar. Especially in conjunction with Kuassa Effectors. Happy.
:D i just realized I can create the "shake" sound of the Softube Springreverb with RV7000 too...
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Aug 2018

Loque wrote:
31 Aug 2018
MrFigg wrote:
31 Aug 2018
:D i just realized I can create the "shake" sound of the Softube Springreverb with RV7000 too...
I’d really like to be able to get that shimmer sound but I guess I’m going to HAVE to buy Animus. Or...?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Zac

31 Aug 2018

MrFigg wrote:
31 Aug 2018
Nice one. I really do think there's a lot of false or unnecessary prejudice in my use of devices. Just because a device is old doesn't make it any less useful than it used to be.

I think it would be interesting to introduce a bland gui scheme for all devices similar to what they have done to tobacco packaging in the UK and see how that affected my device usage :lol.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Aug 2018

Zac wrote:
31 Aug 2018
MrFigg wrote:
31 Aug 2018
Nice one. I really do think there's a lot of false or unnecessary prejudice in my use of devices. Just because a device is old doesn't make it any less useful than it used to be.

I think it would be interesting to introduce a bland gui scheme for all devices similar to what they have done to tobacco packaging in the UK and see how that affected my device usage :lol.
I think what happened was that somewhere around Reason 3 or 4 I tried the RV7000 and thought meh!!! Somewhere along the line (Reason7?) they made it better but I didn’t even check it out. But now...:)

I am also a sucker for pretty GUIs. I really need to get over that ha ha :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information