Synapse phasers advice

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Aug 2018

Straight to the point. I've got a couple of phasers already inc. Uhbik Phaser and Kuassa. I've got nearly everything by Synapse and love their REs. Now both their 70s phaser and the Analogue phaser are on sale. I've not got the opportunity to try them. Do either of those bring anything new to the phaser table, are they much different in character to each other or "is a phaser a phaser a phaser"? Anyone advise. Both are not an option if my children are to eat this week :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

24 Aug 2018

I dont think most end-consumers will hear a difference. I did not tried them out deeply, but some say the Ninety has a really good sound. Best is, try for yourself.

If you do not own much from Synapse, get their bundle at 129,- which is moar than cheap.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Aug 2018

Loque wrote:
24 Aug 2018
I dont think most end-consumers will hear a difference. I did not tried them out deeply, but some say the Ninety has a really good sound. Best is, try for yourself.

If you do not own much from Synapse, get their bundle at 129,- which is moar than cheap.
Thanks. Got everything except the phasers and legend. Think I’ll just go for shimmerverb this time around :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

scratchnsnifff

24 Aug 2018

I use the synapse phaser all the time I think that it depends on how many poles the phaser is set to. For example the phaser In expanse sounds very different than the uhbik phaser. But for the most part they both sound similar

I do recommend the synapse phaser because it can be set to 0 modulation which lets it be used as a make shift filter
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Aug 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
24 Aug 2018
I use the synapse phaser all the time I think that it depends on how many poles the phaser is set to. For example the phaser In expanse sounds very different than the uhbik phaser. But for the most part they both sound similar

I do recommend the synapse phaser because it can be set to 0 modulation which lets it be used as a make shift filter
Cool. Which one? Ha ha :). 90 or Analogue?

Edit: Just saw it man. The analogue. Thanks for the input.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

scratchnsnifff

24 Aug 2018

MrFigg wrote:
24 Aug 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
24 Aug 2018

Analog! It’s my most used phaser. Second best imo would be the air raid audio effects
(By the way distillery is only 40$!!!!)
But back to the main point. The synapse analog phaser is one of their many great sounding effects. Also it’s worth mentioning that I have many phasers (almost all of them in the shop) and the synapse is my favorite. It’s sinple and as I stated before is one of the best due to its ability to have no modulation which makes it like a filter :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Aug 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
24 Aug 2018
MrFigg wrote:
24 Aug 2018

Analog! It’s my most used phaser. Second best imo would be the air raid audio effects
But back to the main point. The synapse analog phaser is one of their many great sounding effects. Also it’s worth mentioning that I have many phasers (almost all of them in the shop) and the synapse is my favorite. It’s sinple and as I stated before is one of the best due to its ability to have no modulation which makes it like a filter :)
And it’s so cheap just now. I really do wish that I hadn’t bought so many Synapse REs for full price over the years but I guess it’s just to accept things and move on. I really am torn between getting the phaser or getting the shimmerverb. I’m a sucker for Harold Budd and Brian Eno.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

scratchnsnifff

24 Aug 2018

MrFigg wrote:
24 Aug 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
24 Aug 2018

And it’s so cheap just now. I really do wish that I hadn’t bought so many Synapse REs for full price over the years but I guess it’s just to accept things and move on. I really am torn between getting the phaser or getting the shimmerverb. I’m a sucker for Harold Budd and Brian Eno.
Don’t get me thinking about that now! Hahaha
I literally bought kompulsion and torsion two days ago

I totally forgot that they did a summer sale!

Also I wish I could get a list of how much Iv spent in that shop. My girlfriend would have my head haha

At the rate in which I buy from the PH store, I feel like they should send me a Christmas card and bottle of wine or vodka. I’d take a yearly dinner as well, I’d love to sit down with the Reason developers and earnest :p

Libraquaricorn

25 Aug 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
24 Aug 2018
Also I wish I could get a list of how much Iv spent in that shop. My girlfriend would have my head haha
But you can. Go to your account and click your way in to "Orders" and you can see all the cash you've spent in the shop. Add it all together if you dare :twisted:

raymondh

25 Aug 2018

IMO, Model 90 shines above the others. I don't know why, but it's the only phaser I reach for now.
To me it sounds a bit less "comby" and "metalic" and a bit smoother. Reminds me of the Smallstone.

Loque

31 Aug 2018

I tried today to achieve a special sound which forced me to try several phasers and i came across T2 again after a long time where a lot of dust was on this device. After cleaning it, i must say it is a very good phaser with lots of features and tweakabilities. So its worth checking out if you are looking for phaser alternatives
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... t2-phaser/

But i am not sure if the dev is still active, because the website is off.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Aug 2018

Loque wrote:
31 Aug 2018
I tried today to achieve a special sound which forced me to try several phasers and i came across T2 again after a long time where a lot of dust was on this device. After cleaning it, i must say it is a very good phaser with lots of features and tweakabilities. So its worth checking out if you are looking for phaser alternatives
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... t2-phaser/

But i am not sure if the dev is still active, because the website is off.
Thanks Loque. I got it a while back. Decided to pass on the Synapse phasers. Don’t think I need any more :). The dual chorus looks good for €9 but I’ve got the TAL VST (free) and it pretty much does the job.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

selig
RE Developer

31 Aug 2018

MrFigg wrote:I’m a sucker for Harold Budd and Brian Eno.
If you don’t already know, the RV7000 is great for this type of music (what I primarily compose myself).

Try the following settings:

Decay: 100 or more (115 range is nice)
HF Damp: 0-32
Hi EQ: 0 (default)
Mix: 50% (or more if you want to drown in reverb!)

Algorithm: Hall
Size: 39.4 (max)
Diffusion: 127
Room Shape: Four
ER/Late: 0-50%
ER Level: 0.0dB
Predelay: 0-20ms
Mod Amount: IMPORTANT: use as much as you can stand! This parameter is the key to the “Lexicon” wobbly reverb sound. Definitely start well above the default of 16%, try 30-50% or higher depending on the source.

Piano, Rhodes, and guitar all sound great with this.

Also try a phaser (or chorus or flanger) in front of the reverb for an even more swirly sound, if you can stand it. ;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Aug 2018

selig wrote:
31 Aug 2018
MrFigg wrote:I’m a sucker for Harold Budd and Brian Eno.
If you don’t already know, the RV7000 is great for this type of music (what I primarily compose myself).

Try the following settings:

Decay: 100 or more (115 range is nice)
HF Damp: 0-32
Hi EQ: 0 (default)
Mix: 50% (or more if you want to drown in reverb!)

Algorithm: Hall
Size: 39.4 (max)
Diffusion: 127
Room Shape: Four
ER/Late: 0-50%
ER Level: 0.0dB
Predelay: 0-20ms
Mod Amount: IMPORTANT: use as much as you can stand! This parameter is the key to the “Lexicon” wobbly reverb sound. Definitely start well above the default of 16%, try 30-50% or higher depending on the source.

Piano, Rhodes, and guitar all sound great with this.

Also try a phaser (or chorus or flanger) in front of the reverb for an even more swirly sound, if you can stand it. ;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Excellent man :). Exactly what I made last night...combi with chorus then flanger then RV7K. Awesome. Very Cocteaus.
For the record, I've been playing with Animus for the last hour and it is now my alltime favourite RE EVER!!!
Some of the patches though?!?!?! DSP to red alert with the push of one key on the keyboard. What's with that I wonder?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information