Predator RE vs. Predator 1

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Matt van K

15 Aug 2018

Hello,

I need a litte bit help. To bad that both are not available like Europa so i need some thoughts about.

1. I like the GUI of the VST Version
2. The RE has intresting connections
3. Second hand price of P1 VST

Please do not talk about P2. It´s not the same magic as P1 for me.

;)

Loque

15 Aug 2018

I guess soundwise they are the same. GUIs of Rob Papen are always fiddly, the VST versions too - they might just a little bit clearer - resizing is not possible. The back of RE is thumbs up in Rob Papen devices, you can also use it as FX units. This is only possible with VST version of P2, where he delivers an extra device.

If pricing is something for you, you might remember, that if you own 3 RE from Rob, you can upgrade quite cheap to Explorer Bundle - and just wait a short time, and you get Version 5 of it (there also might be a auto upgrade included atm, dunno).
Reason12, Win10

scratchnsnifff

15 Aug 2018

I can’t speak for the vst version (Iv been wanting explorer for a while just haven’t had the money)

But the Re version is powerful and capeable of sooooo many sounds

The FM and PM modulators are something to take note of as one appears to be linear (pm) and the PM is how most of reasons FM synths handle their growling tones

It’s not bad on CPU and even has the option for oversampling

If you like presets, predator Re comes with thousands
I guess my main point is that if you like the first version of predator vst, you will be right at home with the Re counterpart

The sound of predator Re seems to be the same as the vst in every respect
Hope this helps(go for it)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

joeyluck

15 Aug 2018

I like the RE for the CV connections and for everything being on one panel.
I remember Rob himself at some point saying that was something he appreciated about the RE version.
REs now can support switchable panels, but not sure I'd want them to update it...

It may have even been working in the confines of the early RE format that inspired Papen when making Go2? Which BTW is awesome and is being received very well by folks, and particularly those using the VST who are finding a new appreciate of having everything on one panel.

tumar

15 Aug 2018

VST version is obviously much more versatile, you can use it with any DAW you want.
RE version sounds very good; it can be used as effect device (i.e fantastic trance gate called "Gator"!) or vocoder. In my opinion - one huge advantage: I love to use its sequencer to run other synths. OK, I know, it's arpeggiator, but quite programmable. You can send 4 different sequencer parametres as CV to other synths - or other Predators. Put one Predator as main sequencer to Combinator, add few other synths, wire it all up with CV and make huge, complex sequences hitting just one key on your midi keyboard :)
Ask Rob Papen for crossgrade options.

dvdrtldg

15 Aug 2018

tumar wrote:
15 Aug 2018
I love to use its sequencer to run other synths. OK, I know, it's arpeggiator, but quite programmable. You can send 4 different sequencer parametres as CV to other synths - or other Predators. Put one Predator as main sequencer to Combinator, add few other synths, wire it all up with CV and make huge, complex sequences hitting just one key on your midi keyboard :)
Ask Rob Papen for crossgrade options.
Going to try this today. Predator is one of my under-used synths, I've never gotten to like the fiddly GUI. But this trick with the sequencer sounds nice

Arrant
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2018

Soundwise they are identical as far as I can tell. However the Predator RE actually has a few more features than the VST version:
- Audio inputs
- Improved reverb algorithm
- Unison can be used with arpeggiator

The VST has a better GUI and some kind of preset morphing.
It's no longer in sale, but you get it when you purchase the more expensive Predator 2 (which for some reason doesn't have the same magic for me either, although it has a ton more features).

Which all means that the RE version is the one to get IMO.

• Information