What are your fav RE EQ and why!!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Ixus

24 Aug 2018

Sale is here and the MP5 is at 35 eur, I think im gonna grab it!

Edit: I did! and the Cerberus Bass amp as a bday gift for myself :puf_wink:

dvdrtldg

25 Aug 2018

tallguy wrote:
21 Aug 2018
GQ-7 for surgery.
A lot of people say this but I often find myself wishing that GQ7 could go narrower. It's a great EQ, but when I need truly fine "surgical" work, I reach for something else

gullum

25 Aug 2018

I use tub tec for most drums bass and guitars, I used to use GQ-7 on most things but now use RPEQ more it has more options and can go super narrow

selig
RE Developer

25 Aug 2018

gullum wrote:I use tub tec for most drums bass and guitars, I used to use GQ-7 on most things but now use RPEQ more it has more options and can go super narrow
FWIW, GQ7 and Rob Pappen are almost exactly the same width at their most narrow, though RP has more cut @ 20 dB vs 15 dB for GQ7.

Sorry if “tooting my own horn” offends anyone, but…
If you want more options, the most narrow cuts by a LONG shot, and the most cut/boost amount, there’s only ColoringEQ which was specifically designed to go beyond other available EQs in as many ways as possible. ;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

minilog

26 Aug 2018

I find it pretty fascinating that I rely on the MCLASS so much even with so many RE's and plugins. I think the reason is because I mix as I move along in the creative production process and I don't want to screw around with a clunky GUI loaded with bells and whistles just because I want to remove a weird spike from a hi hat. This straightforward functionality ends up lending itself to other applications and then the whole rack is filled with that nasty stale yellow color. I'd like to have a metallic looking RE which I will dub "The Sniper" to target a resonant spike even if it is just a one band device with a few knobs. Make it happen Turn2on!

madmacman

26 Aug 2018

@selig: While we are at it (narrow cuts)

I recently stumbled across an idea with the MClass EQ: I can increase the effect for deeper cuts (by losing a little narrowness) if I set Parameters 1 & 2 to identical values.

Plain wrong approach? Or totally valid?

selig
RE Developer

26 Aug 2018

minilog wrote:
26 Aug 2018
I find it pretty fascinating that I rely on the MCLASS so much even with so many RE's and plugins. I think the reason is because I mix as I move along in the creative production process and I don't want to screw around with a clunky GUI loaded with bells and whistles just because I want to remove a weird spike from a hi hat. This straightforward functionality ends up lending itself to other applications and then the whole rack is filled with that nasty stale yellow color. I'd like to have a metallic looking RE which I will dub "The Sniper" to target a resonant spike even if it is just a one band device with a few knobs. Make it happen Turn2on!
I rely on the SSL for the same reasons, with the additional reason that it's already "there" for every sound in my mix (plus I learned that EQ so long ago it's second nature to me now), and you don't need to add it or go to the rack to adjust it.

It's the classic "channel EQ" IMO in that it works for a majority of the applications for which you may need EQ. For the rest, that's when "bells and whistles" come in extremely handy! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

26 Aug 2018

madmacman wrote:
26 Aug 2018
@selig: While we are at it (narrow cuts)

I recently stumbled across an idea with the MClass EQ: I can increase the effect for deeper cuts (by losing a little narrowness) if I set Parameters 1 & 2 to identical values.

Plain wrong approach? Or totally valid?
Totally valid, especially with digital EQs that have exact values for their bands. It's valid for analog EQs too, but easier to get the full double cut with digital EQs since the frequency values are precise.

Here's what it looks like with the MClass EQ:
Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 8.24.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 8.24.42 AM.png (147.76 KiB) Viewed 608 times

Doubling the bands doubles the cut depth (from -18dB to -36dB in this example), and multiplies the width by around 1.5 (from 4.4 semitones to 6.9 semitones in this example).
Selig Audio, LLC

madmacman

26 Aug 2018

Great! Thank you very much for your thorough answer! I have put it (including diagram) into my personal Reason-notebook. :)

• Information