What are your fav RE EQ and why!!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Ixus

10 Aug 2018

Greetings!

I'd like to hear what eq's you prefer, for different tasks or just in general. So far I haven't bought a single eq and was interested in getting one. I've trialed the lunchbox one which seemed nice but I spent far too little time with it to say for sure what i think.

I believe next up on my trial list is the Selig one. Pretty expensive but trying is free :)

If I were to get just 1 which would you reccomend?

Thanks and cheers! :redface:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

10 Aug 2018

GQ-7: My go-to EQ. Has just enough features for my taste. Looks good. Easy to use. Lots of filter slope options. Something like this should be the stock EQ instead of the crappy MClass one.

FRG-EEE Equalizer: I only use this on drums. I don't know why but for me boosting the low and high end works better compared to using other EQs. Maybe it's "magic". I don't know and I don't care, all I know is it just works.

Carve EQ Ducker: Not an EQ but I put it in the same category since it's about removing frequencies. I use this so I don't have to EQ as much. Very useful and higly underrated RE imo. I use it in almost every project.
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 11 Aug 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

10 Aug 2018

Still GQ-7....also for filtering. Its so damn handy and easy.

If i did not own it now, i would give Seligs EQ a go and maybe Rob Papens. I already tried Robs and it is quite ok, but as usual a bit clunky. Did not tried Seligs yet.

For coloring EQs there might be some options, but none i would realy, realy, recommend to buy.
Reason12, Win10

joeyluck

10 Aug 2018

Out of Rack Extensions, one of my favorites is Kuassa's EVE-MP5

I had actually never used a Pultec EQ prior to trialing Softube's Tube-Tech, and then ultimately getting the MP5, which had identical results for me (in terms of the EQ section) at a fraction of the price.

Aside from using Reason's EQ in the Mixer, I like using the MP5 for its simplicity, and its different approach. It's easy for me to get great results. It's a limited amount of knobs and the boost and attenuation work wonderfully. I use it on many things including vocals, bass, strings, etc. and on the master.

RPEQ by Rob Papen is another that I really like. The "Air" feature has come in handy for me.

Ixus

10 Aug 2018

Thanks for replies!

GQ-7 has very nice score on the shop page, i should test it too!
EVE-MP5 looks very cool too, I've been using the MClass since i started with Reason and use the SSL for low and high pass stuff.

The GQ-7 is in that mix bundle which go on sale from time to time, maybe wait for that to get some extra stuff as well for maximum bang for buck!

Loque

10 Aug 2018

Ixus wrote:
10 Aug 2018
Thanks for replies!

GQ-7 has very nice score on the shop page, i should test it too!
EVE-MP5 looks very cool too, I've been using the MClass since i started with Reason and use the SSL for low and high pass stuff.

The GQ-7 is in that mix bundle which go on sale from time to time, maybe wait for that to get some extra stuff as well for maximum bang for buck!
Yes, check out the bundles on sales. The Rig bundle and maybe also the Synapse bundle...Please note, that GQ-7 is a clean EQ, no color added.
Reason12, Win10

tibah

10 Aug 2018

EVE series, because simplicity. MP5 for *magic*.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

10 Aug 2018

Ixus wrote:
10 Aug 2018
Check out the Synapse RE Collection if you're open to buying other good stuff as well. That's an great deal with some amazing REs. GQ-7 is included.

Ixus

10 Aug 2018

DIdn't know about that bundle , thanks!

I'll keep an eye out for tasty deals :)

two shoes

10 Aug 2018

i'd also recommend getting the Synapse RE bundle when it goes on sale for 149. Antidote is a great synth with some cool unison features and if there's a better moog softsynth than the Legend on the market I haven't heard it. none of the Synapse stuff is useless either - in addition to those two synths and GQ-7 (which is a very safe bet for a corrective eq) you get a couple of usable reverbs, a compressor that works well on drums, and a few other goodies. Synapse is right up there with Blamsoft and Lectric Panda as one of the better RE devs imo.

aeox
Competition Winner

10 Aug 2018

GQ-7 is the only EQ you really need. Seligs Coloring EQ is awesome too, I don't own it though(too poor!). I think it doesn't get enough credit because of the GUI and graphical display is a bit clunky and the display is aliased (for lack of a better word) Just not appealing to use, which most people care more about than the actual functionality of a device.

aeox
Competition Winner

10 Aug 2018

two shoes wrote:
10 Aug 2018
i'd also recommend getting the Synapse RE bundle when it goes on sale for 149. Antidote is a great synth with some cool unison features and if there's a better moog softsynth than the Legend on the market I haven't heard it.
Ah you haven't heard VK-2 :)

edit: Well, it's not a minimoog clone though. SO the comparison doesn't make sense, my bad.

antic604

10 Aug 2018

Another vote for GQ7 (and Synapse Collection - even at $199 it's a steal!)

Selig's Colouring EQ seems like a great choice, but I can't get past the GUI...

Also this combo is an interesting choice:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... equaliser/
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... -analyzer/

Hauser+Quaid

10 Aug 2018

Aaaand yet another GQ-7 vote. Sometimes I wish it had more bands, but 99% of the time it does the trick. And that other 1% of the time I just add another one after it ;)

I also use the Kuassa Eve AT4 occasionally. Really enjoy it!

dvdrtldg

10 Aug 2018

Check out RE3Q from Red Rock Sound, it's magic for high end boost. Also Softube's Trident, a character EQ that saturates beautifully. It's a bit pricey and CPU intensive but definitely worth it

Apart from those two, Synapse GQ7 and Kuassa MP5 end up in pretty much everything I do

Jmax

10 Aug 2018

Another vote for the GQ7 - simplicity, visual, knobs and nice big slopes.

For quick jobs I always enjoy

Kuassa AT4
kHs 3 Band EQ (nice little visual)

aeox
Competition Winner

10 Aug 2018

dvdrtldg wrote:
10 Aug 2018
Check out RE3Q from Red Rock Sound, it's magic for high end boost. Also Softube's Trident, a character EQ that saturates beautifully. It's a bit pricey and CPU intensive but definitely worth it

Apart from those two, Synapse GQ7 and Kuassa MP5 end up in pretty much everything I do
That RE3Q "magic" is saturation ;)

cognitive

11 Aug 2018

I like GQ-7, and easily understand why it’s a favorite. An incredibly high quality RE.

But my personal preference, I tend to use Selig’s Coloring EQ more often now. Love the saturation options, and now find a multi-band compressor to be unnecessary for my mixes.

Undistraction

11 Aug 2018

+1 on the GQ-7

Loque

11 Aug 2018

Since a few ppl mentioned magic and color, I throw in my 2 cents. Synapse EQ is magic on bass channels and busses. Tridents saturation is similar to the Saturation Knob, but due to its design with interacting frequency bands pretty interesting - not sure if someone can hear it.
Softube Tube Tech EQ is very musical. Also the SSL is very musical, but often too limited.
Reason12, Win10

Mr. Watts

11 Aug 2018

My absolute favorite EQ would have to be the Kuassa EVE MP-5. Such a great sounding "character" EQ to have in the master chain. You can really get the low end dialed in by boosting and attenuating as needed, and using the Dip at 200khz. The AT-4 is also nice, I use it a lot on vocals with the "Lead Vocals" preset and adjusting to taste. I've heard great things about the AT-1 as well. I think everyone could use the MP-5 in their arsenal however.

My second favorite is the GQ-7. Just an awesome and good looking surgical EQ with a good amount of useful presets.

moalla

11 Aug 2018

Redrocks RE3Q for synthvoices and as ecxiter/saturtion EQ
Trident A-Range amazing for guitars and female voices
Eve MP-5 for mastering and dynamics

most other EQ´s are sounding harsh, or unusable, the comparison between the Reason SSL Mixer EQ and Synapse GQ-7 offering, how cheap the SSL Mixer sounds.

As Api550 emulation i really like the Overloud EQ550, it´s sounds a little bit nicer than GQ-7, but it´s VST
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

Zac

11 Aug 2018

moalla wrote:
11 Aug 2018
Redrocks RE3Q for synthvoices and as ecxiter/saturtion EQ
Trident A-Range amazing for guitars and female voices
Eve MP-5 for mastering and dynamics

most other EQ´s are sounding harsh, or unusable, the comparison between the Reason SSL Mixer EQ and Synapse GQ-7 offering, how cheap the SSL Mixer sounds.

As Api550 emulation i really like the Overloud EQ550, it´s sounds a little bit nicer than GQ-7, but it´s VST
Really? Ive been reading this thread with interest as the EQ i use most is the SSL. I just find it so easy and convenient. I'm not a big one for surgical EQ, perhaps because I'm not a proficient enough mixer, so most often the ssl can do what I'm after. One minor frustration is that the low band eq (blue) doesn't go below 200Hz.

The other eq i use most often is the GQ7 but sometimes still go for the MClass just out of habit.

moalla

11 Aug 2018

yeah that´s my opinion, there is such a big mass of EQ´s you could use. The SSL emulation isn´t bad at all with light settings, but it´s not ass good like the SSL master comp. I also own the EMI TG12345 and Scheps73, the Emi is with light settings a really nice mastering EQ and the saturtion/overdrive of the Scheps are different to the Trident capabilities. But i must say, before i bought my Eve Audio SC205 Monitors i couldn´t hear the differences so clearly, and Monitors like the KH120 are also a half step ahead Adam/EVE etc.(before i ve used Yamaha nx e400 also more than okay for the price) if your mixing with M-audio or JBl budget activespeakers it´s more or less impossible to realize headroom and other propertys of a EQ i must say. Headphones for final mastering are less usable i ve learned, after i had give away the yamahas and tried to mix with beyerdynamics DT770 and often it sounds dull cause i pull down heigths to much, in comparison the ath m50x lacks a little bit in midrange. okay but i must say, i am a real sound fetischist :P
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

Zac

11 Aug 2018

moalla wrote:
11 Aug 2018
yeah that´s my opinion, there is such a big mass of EQ´s you could use. The SSL emulation isn´t bad at all with light settings, but it´s not ass good like the SSL master comp. I also own the EMI TG12345 and Scheps73, the Emi is with light settings a really nice mastering EQ and the saturtion/overdrive of the Scheps are different to the Trident capabilities. But i must say, before i bought my Eve Audio SC205 Monitors i couldn´t hear the differences so clearly, and Monitors like the KH120 are also a half step ahead Adam/EVE etc.(before i ve used Yamaha nx e400 also more than okay for the price) if your mixing with M-audio or JBl budget activespeakers it´s more or less impossible to realize headroom and other propertys of a EQ i must say. Headphones for final mastering are less usable i ve learned, after i had give away the yamahas and tried to mix with beyerdynamics DT770 and often it sounds dull cause i pull down heigths to much, in comparison the ath m50x lacks a little bit in midrange. okay but i must say, i am a real sound fetischist :P
Interesting. I use dt770 250ohm and recently got sonarworks reference 4 and now use their system wide correction algorithm for these headphones. I still can't say how flat or reproducible on other systems this algorithm's influence will be but i will say my old songs do sound horribly dull in the high end with this correction on.

• Information