Skrock's EUR9 synths

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
antic604

08 Aug 2018

I see that they have a sale (permanent, it seems?) on most of their synths. Reading through some topics I hear people praise their sound & presets, but complain about them being IDTs which means they're limited in what you can really "synthesize". Now personally I'm more of a preset guy, ie. I'll take a preset, tweak it and add external effects to make it my own, so I don't care that much. I also have more than few "deep" synths if I ever needed to get more sound design-ey.

So, my question is - out of all that they have (Poltergeist, Pulse, Tectronic, Kraft, Nautilus2 in particular caught my eye, due to more modern GUIs) which 2-max 3 would you recommend me getting, for basses, pads and leads in psychedelic trance music like this:

FLVZ

08 Aug 2018

antic604 wrote:
08 Aug 2018
I see that they have a sale (permanent, it seems?) on most of their synths. Reading through some topics I hear people praise their sound & presets, but complain about them being IDTs which means they're limited in what you can really "synthesize". Now personally I'm more of a preset guy, ie. I'll take a preset, tweak it and add external effects to make it my own, so I don't care that much. I also have more than few "deep" synths if I ever needed to get more sound design-ey.

So, my question is - out of all that they have (Poltergeist, Pulse, Tectronic, Kraft, Nautilus2 in particular caught my eye, due to more modern GUIs) which 2-max 3 would you recommend me getting, for basses, pads and leads in psychedelic trance music like this:

Kraft is their best Synth for me. The effects section is super fun, but thats based on my own experimental approach to music! The whole synth overall I got on with better than the others I have, so the GUI also stood out for me for usability.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 Aug 2018

Kraft is my favourite and I did do a lot presets for that one... :D

Solaris 5 and Orbis are others I really like...

I do have most of them and they all have their part to play in my rack...

As for being IDT, people are being a little silly over that, wack them in a combinator and you have 8 CV knobs to play with, use an EMI and you can play with them all... Look at the CV option on the back of ReSpire....... Say no more.... :D

PoohBear

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
T&T's viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909
My Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

Namyo85

08 Aug 2018

At the moment I'm checking out Poltergeist and Tectonic, they are rather good, however, what's going on with their website? www.skrockmusic.com Looks like a hackers got in and deleted nearly everything! There's no manuals for anything apart from Pulse and there's only 2 synths mentioned on the site. :(

joeyluck

08 Aug 2018

Some corrections :)

Firstly, they are not "IDTs." The IDT (Instrument Development Toolkit) is something that is used to make Rack Extensions. It's the equivalent of saying "Skrock makes Instrument Development Toolkits"

Secondly, CV found directly on a device is different than assigning CV via Combinator (which is limited and more like automation). Same goes for assigning CV to a VST device (not the same).

That said, developers of Rack Extensions made with the IDT can add more CV connections to the device. As an example, Skrock added some CV connections to Solar 5.

And lastly, yes these and others are sampled-based synths, but that is certainly not something new and not specific to the synths made with the IDT.

So yeah, not sure at this point the reason for anybody to turn their nose up at a synth based on the toolkit used to make it. If you want a synth with more CV connections, there are plenty out there and you can certainly request more connections regardless of how the synth is made. You can of course still base your buying decisions on CV connections and/or sample-based synthesis, but that really has much less to do with the IDT and how people associate it. Hope that helps :)

Of the Skrock synths, Solar 5 is my favorite and might be a great fit for what you are looking for. I also like Iridium which gets less attention.

jayhosking

08 Aug 2018

Kraft is my favourite, and Solaris 5 is also good. I’m not a huge fan of the others, but these two sound good, and Kraft is quite a well-designed unit, if you ever do want to do some sound designing. All that said, I have hardly used the presets on Kraft, but can attest to some good stuff in the Solaris 5 patches.

scratchnsnifff

08 Aug 2018

Poltergeists is one of his best. As well as kraft

And if you get Solaris or solar 5 what ever it’s called. You’ll have his best work in my opinion

The other synths are still good, but you can achieve the same types of sounds having those 3

Poltergeist is a bit unique as it has the modern IDT functions like the frequency shifter and granular effects I think it has a few CVs as well? Or maybe I’m thinking of that new dual synth
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

moneykube

08 Aug 2018

Namyo85 wrote:
08 Aug 2018
At the moment I'm checking out Poltergeist and Tectonic, they are rather good, however, what's going on with their website? www.skrockmusic.com Looks like a hackers got in and deleted nearly everything! There's no manuals for anything apart from Pulse and there's only 2 synths mentioned on the site. :(
I wondered about the web site as well... went looking to see if there was anything to say how many patches Tectonic comes with.... was curious... but I have a bunch of their synths already
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

dvdrtldg

08 Aug 2018

joeyluck wrote:
08 Aug 2018
Of the Skrock synths, Solar 5 is my favorite and might be a great fit for what you are looking for. I also like Iridium which gets less attention.
+1 for Iridium, it's a beast and quite unique

My top three would be Iridium, Kraft, Solar 5

hurricane
Competition Winner

08 Aug 2018

I'm a big fan of Pulse for it's simple layout (I'm not into complex sound design) and its fantastic Roland-y glossy 80s sound.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

antic604

09 Aug 2018

Thanks @all for your feedback! I've checked some of them last night and so far Poltergeist sticks out the most as sounding 'different'

Faastwalker

09 Aug 2018

Anyone use Thermal? That's an interesting looking device.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-extension/thermal/

Karim
Competition Winner

14 Aug 2018

One word! The demo is pure DOPE! :o
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

theshoemaker

16 Aug 2018

And they are so good to REndomize ... Love them for the price tag.

I'd be very interested in a collab/feature with Skrock to offer a discount for owners of his products, as they are a good fit for my tool.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

qn5

16 Aug 2018

I've made SO MUCH music with these things. Love em.
QN5 MUSIC
qn5.com

Namyo85

18 Aug 2018

moneykube wrote:
08 Aug 2018
I wondered about the web site as well... went looking to see if there was anything to say how many patches Tectonic comes with.... was curious... but I have a bunch of their synths already
Looks like the site is a work in progress, details for Tectonic have appeared now.

moneykube

20 Aug 2018

bought it but still haven't checked the patches... bought go to and rnd
as well
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

ltbrunt00

20 Aug 2018

I love the sound of Solaris, Kraft is pretty nice to. I would love to have VST versions of theses. Depending on the day I don't always have time to spend hours making patches from scratch and these devices provide some instant gratification with minor tweaks hear and there.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

dustmoses

24 Aug 2018

I own a bunch of these. None are bad but I usually only reach for Kraft (their best) and Poltergeist because they offer something besides basic subtractive and wavetable synthesis in terms of sounds.

• Information