Steerpike delay update

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ejanuska

03 Aug 2018

I saw a post on FB that the Steerpike delay is going to get a version update.
Does anybody know if it's a paid or free upgrade?

aeox
Competition Winner

03 Aug 2018

Just bought the thing! Free I hope!

aeox
Competition Winner

03 Aug 2018

It's paid update :/

Loque

03 Aug 2018

Wat? Link?

Sry, trying to install a new computer and disabled a lot of spy things...actually cannot open facebook - yeah, baby!

Edit:
Ok...got fakboog loading (still very ugly, ok, its ugly all the time) and JP says, free for V2 owners for a short time...
Reason12, Win10

Exowildebeest

03 Aug 2018

JP says: "A first look at Steerpike BBD Delay Ensemble v3. Working on some final final changes ;) Two new delay modes (Delayed Cross Stereo and Delayed Ping-Pong), New FX Filter with true feedback loop option and envelope triggering, with an additional extra strong mint Distortion, an onboard reverb, Moar LFOs, new Tap position!

Coming soon! :)"

I'm excited - looks like JP's experience with Animus reverb influenced this update.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

03 Aug 2018

aeox wrote:
03 Aug 2018
You'll be fine, I promise. It'll be free from v2 for a few weeks. Hoping it'll be ready start of September.

The new delayed modes are seriously useful, especially for Ping-Pong, while the FX Filter gives it a lot more depth and creative sound design.

eusti

03 Aug 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
03 Aug 2018
aeox wrote:
03 Aug 2018
You'll be fine, I promise. It'll be free from v2 for a few weeks. Hoping it'll be ready start of September.

The new delayed modes are seriously useful, especially for Ping-Pong, while the FX Filter gives it a lot more depth and creative sound design.
Nice!!! :)

D.

Catblack

03 Aug 2018

aeox wrote:
03 Aug 2018
Free update from v2 for a limited time.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

motuscott

03 Aug 2018

All hail the Poke!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Faastwalker

04 Aug 2018

I think it will be time to finally buy Steerpike when the new version is released. I've got all the other JP effects RE's. Amazing stuff.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

15 Aug 2018

I'm still looking to wrap this up this week.

But I keep tweaking and doing—as my coder amusingly but accurately pointed out to me just this morning—a "one more wafer-thin mint" job on it. :mrgreen:

I decided the other day that the new stereo serial modes are too good not to have the inverse routing for ping-pong to cross-stereo, and ping-pong to, uh, ping-pong. Arguably less useful than the stereo to stereo or stereo to ping-pong, which is really bloody useful, but they could be quite interesting for creative offset weirdness, so I figured why the heck not, as we almost certainly won't get the chance to dev any more on this device after this cycle: it's certainly now where I always intended it to be as the thoroughbred creative delay device.

One of the best uses of these new modes is that, finally, we have a native stereo reverse delay feedback, where previously it could only be mono via Feedback Mode or by using another delay device. Now you can simply set Channels 1 and 2 to a long reverse time in a Stereo Serial mode, and let one of the serial pair handle adding feedback with shorter non-reversed delay times. Dial the reverb up a bit and it's all rather dreamy.

And it's original, bespoke BBD code, so we can do things the "IDT" type delays can't do, like, filtered feedback loops. :)

Loque

15 Aug 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
15 Aug 2018
I'm still looking to wrap this up this week.

But I keep tweaking and doing—as my coder amusingly but accurately pointed out to me just this morning—a "one more wafer-thin mint" job on it. :mrgreen:

I decided the other day that the new stereo serial modes are too good not to have the inverse routing for ping-pong to cross-stereo, and ping-pong to, uh, ping-pong. Arguably less useful than the stereo to stereo or stereo to ping-pong, which is really bloody useful, but they could be quite interesting for creative offset weirdness, so I figured why the heck not, as we almost certainly won't get the chance to dev any more on this device after this cycle: it's certainly now where I always intended it to be as the thoroughbred creative delay device.

One of the best uses of these new modes is that, finally, we have a native stereo reverse delay feedback, where previously it could only be mono via Feedback Mode or by using another delay device. Now you can simply set Channels 1 and 2 to a long reverse time in a Stereo Serial mode, and let one of the serial pair handle adding feedback with shorter non-reversed delay times. Dial the reverb up a bit and it's all rather dreamy.

And it's original, bespoke BBD code, so we can do things the "IDT" type delays can't do, like, filtered feedback loops. :)
There is no useless internal routing as long as i have a break out to manipulate it externally. In that case even a stereo->stereo can make sense...i guess... ;)

But really...we are waiting...
F5.gif
F5.gif (672.58 KiB) Viewed 2282 times
Reason12, Win10

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

15 Aug 2018

Loque wrote:
15 Aug 2018
There is no useless internal routing as long as i have a break out to manipulate it externally. In that case even a stereo->stereo can make sense...i guess... ;)

But really...we are waiting...

[/quote]

Save your keypresses, but soon... soon!. ;)

But actually you mentioned breakout, and that was the other big thing I wanted to do in v3, and if I've not properly mentioned it before, here's the skinny.

In v1, because reasons, we couldn't do a "proper" breakout. Our tap out/tap in was via the feedback loop. This wasn't useless, exactly but, frankly, it was hard to work with and not as useful as a true breakout would have been :D . So in v3 one of the key things was reconfiguring that entire side of it. So we've happily can I report we've reorganised the topology somewhat to make a true breakout mode, and this isn't returned to the feedback loop, and now acts, hopefully, as one might expect, as an "insert". Also, it now defaults to this new Breakout mode, so any old stuff with the old mode will need to be manually switched back with the new button (you can see it on the front in the bottom right).

Because, in terms of level, it can be so dangerously different, they're on an entirely different set of Tap level knobs too, so these default to max, as it's normally pretty safe, whereas the old mode still defaults to zero, in case one accidentally switches mode at the wrong time.

In testing, I've done that multiple times, and I know not to do it! :lol:

Loque

15 Aug 2018

Hum.... Not in the feedback loop... Hum... As an insert fx... Hum...

Not sure what you mean. I thought it IS the interesting thing to get between the feedback loop... Well, i will see or hear...
Reason12, Win10

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

15 Aug 2018

Loque wrote:
15 Aug 2018

Not sure what you mean. I thought it IS the interesting thing to get between the feedback loop... Well, i will see or hear...
Ah, I think I might see your confusion, and maybe my use of "insert" is perhaps something of a misnomer, but that's effectively what it is in basic terms.

In Steerpike 1 both the tap out and tap in are within the feedback loop. While this is, indeed, "interesting", it can quickly cause massive build-up of gain (it's also why it's best to avoid high filter resonance with long feedback times with our new FX Filter in "Feedback Loop" position, it gets nuts, fast). So I doubt many use people the taps, ever.

Your confusion arises, I suspect, from looking at the back of The Echo. The flow diagram there implies that it's doing something it actually is not doing at all: the breakout input isn't returned to the feedback loop. It's acting moreorless as an external insert effect chain between the inside of the feedback loop and the main outs. So while the Outs are tapped from the feedback loop, the Ins are not. Thus the external breakout signal only ever goes through the feedback loop once, and so doesn't typically suffer from excessive gain from multiple iterations of feedback.

So by coincidence our original mode is doing what it looks like The Echo is doing schematically. But our new Breakout mode functions how the breakout jacks of The Echo actually work, and is vastly most useable I suspect for most of my wonderful Steerpikers, e.g, you can now whack a Scream4 in there, happy as you like, and not risk blowing your speakers, your next door neighbours speakers, and the speakers of both Houses of Parliament, in four different countries, across three continents.

With an IDT delay device, you can't do either of these modes, as they can't direct audio into or, crucially, tap out from the feedback loop. The most they could do is a common-or-garden send/return into and out of the entire pre-fabbed delay module.

So if you want The Echo-style breakout behaviour, then it's Steerpike 3's new Breakout Mode you need. If you want to tap the audio out of the feedback loop and also return it to the feedback loop, with all the borderline uncontrollable lunacy that provides in spades (as you imply you want in your quote above, and since lunacy is my raison d'être I'm always willing to keep supplying it in copious amounts), then it was Steerpike's original Feedback Loop (FL) Mode you needed all along, in which case going forward just turn the Tap Flow button back to "FL" mode.

It's a nice choice to have ;)

Loque

15 Aug 2018

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I think, i need to hear the difference. I remember it was kinda hard to control the volum in Steerpike and yes, it was one reason i did not used it much - always was wondering what exactly was happening and needed time to fine adjust everything. I am curious how the difference now will sound. Cant wait to put some frequency shifters, amps and stuff on it and maybe i gonna do it left and right a bit different :-D
Reason12, Win10

Emian

19 Aug 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
15 Aug 2018
Loque wrote:
15 Aug 2018

Ah, I think I might see your confusion, and maybe my use of "insert" is perhaps something of a misnomer, but that's effectively what it is in basic terms.

In Steerpike 1 both the tap out and tap in are within the feedback loop. While this is, indeed, "interesting", it can quickly cause massive build-up of gain (it's also why it's best to avoid high filter resonance with long feedback times with our new FX Filter in "Feedback Loop" position, it gets nuts, fast). So I doubt many use people the taps, ever.

Your confusion arises, I suspect, from looking at the back of The Echo. The flow diagram there implies that it's doing something it actually is not doing at all: the breakout input isn't returned to the feedback loop. It's acting moreorless as an external insert effect chain between the inside of the feedback loop and the main outs. So while the Outs are tapped from the feedback loop, the Ins are not. Thus the external breakout signal only ever goes through the feedback loop once, and so doesn't typically suffer from excessive gain from multiple iterations of feedback.

So by coincidence our original mode is doing what it looks like The Echo is doing schematically. But our new Breakout mode functions how the breakout jacks of The Echo actually work, and is vastly most useable I suspect for most of my wonderful Steerpikers, e.g, you can now whack a Scream4 in there, happy as you like, and not risk blowing your speakers, your next door neighbours speakers, and the speakers of both Houses of Parliament, in four different countries, across three continents.

With an IDT delay device, you can't do either of these modes, as they can't direct audio into or, crucially, tap out from the feedback loop. The most they could do is a common-or-garden send/return into and out of the entire pre-fabbed delay module.

So if you want The Echo-style breakout behaviour, then it's Steerpike 3's new Breakout Mode you need. If you want to tap the audio out of the feedback loop and also return it to the feedback loop, with all the borderline uncontrollable lunacy that provides in spades (as you imply you want in your quote above, and since lunacy is my raison d'être I'm always willing to keep supplying it in copious amounts), then it was Steerpike's original Feedback Loop (FL) Mode you needed all along, in which case going forward just turn the Tap Flow button back to "FL" mode.

It's a nice choice to have ;)
after reading this i can't wait till it's out JP ! it'll probably be the delay to end all other delays :)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

Loque

20 Aug 2018

Submitted...

Reason12, Win10

dhruan

23 Aug 2018

soundcloud.com/armsgrade

Loque

23 Aug 2018

Huuuurrrraaaayyyy!!!