suggestion for a utility CV device

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
electrofux

01 Aug 2018

I would like to see a CV device which helps in generating arrays of cv values and display their meaning.
Pretty much like CV-Select but simpler when it comes to wiring:

8 Channels, when folded you see only the 8 displays. When open you can set up to 8 values per channels and have a textfield next to it, to give that specific value a name and maybe a button for direct selection.

There is only a CV in and a CV out per Channel (for simplicity but could also be expanded in functionality with CV Ins for the Array items, Gate outs for the selected value etc). Depending on how many values are set up per Channel the value at the CV In picks the right value of the set up table/array, gives it out at the CV out and displays the name.

EG if you have a knob controlling the Direction of a Sequencer you can set up 5 values (probably 0,25,50,75,100,128) and name them forward, backward, random, pendulum1 pendulum2.

Currently i use either CV select or Mod Selsor for this and both take up alot of screen space and require alot of wiring with additional devices to make it work. My projects end up having more overhead for displaying and selecting specific values than the actual funtion i want to create. So it would help tons and provide much better overview if such a device would exist.

Loque

01 Aug 2018

Lolth and Miranda have 4 areas which can be labled.
Reason12, Win10

electrofux

01 Aug 2018

Loque wrote:
01 Aug 2018
But those two dont do what i am asking for at all? I think i have 90% of all CV devices but i allways find myself wiring up numerous amounts of SelectCV-CVx8 combis just to have a knob display a certain value in a meaningfull way. Thats why i am suggesting.

Loque

01 Aug 2018

electrofux wrote:
01 Aug 2018
Loque wrote:
01 Aug 2018
But those two dont do what i am asking for at all? I think i have 90% of all CV devices but i allways find myself wiring up numerous amounts of SelectCV-CVx8 combis just to have a knob display a certain value in a meaningfull way. Thats why i am suggesting.
AFAIR they generate values which you asked for.
Reason12, Win10

electrofux

01 Aug 2018

Loque wrote:
01 Aug 2018
electrofux wrote:
01 Aug 2018

AFAIR they generate values which you asked for.
I asked for a slight bit more ;-)

Let's say you have a Combinator Patch and in there sits a modpanel and one of the knobs controls the synced Decay time of an envelope. Now you might only want to select between 1/16ths, 1/8th and 1/4th. With a normal CV connection it is hard to find the right value. With the device i suggested you could define 3 values which match the three sync speeds and then the connected knob would only switch between these three.
You can do this with modselsor and a CVx8 but this is quite heavy for one knob only.

The next thing is you want to control lets say the filtertype of a Filter via CV. You plug the knob into the Filtertype CV In, so far so good. But while turning the knob you have no idea what type you are currently choosing. So labeled fields would be a huge comfort point.
You get labels in CV Select but you have to open the device, you also need another CVx8, it is still only for one knob and to make it switch between less than 8 options you need to scale the CV value more.

Loque

01 Aug 2018

What you are asking is what me and lot of other ppl want for a Combinator update - tooltip values and limits based on type and definable low and high limits, like a synced delay with 4 states of 10 showing the right values... Yea, we can dream on. Not possible for RE to do this automatically, well at least not so easy.

You can try this one, maybe it helps: https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... y-utility/
Reason12, Win10

electrofux

01 Aug 2018

Well, you can already do this with a combination of devices. Like i said CV Select8 or ModSelsor in combination with CVx8. But these devices clutter up your your project when you need more than a few knobs. And they add alot of overhead when they start to add up. I mean you can add 8 ModSelsors and 8 CVx8 to a project and it is already starting to eat up dsp and it adds 16 devices which could easily be one lighter device sitting on top of a modepanel.

I am not sure about the labeling thing. Might be that it is not possible as i envision it but the table of values certainly is and i doubt it is hard to do. It is just not very attractive and mostly for the heavy cv users.

Btw i wouldnt mind the tooltips thing though my suggestion is aiming for the opposite direction. I am using the Modpanel to remotify complex Combinators in a central place, so tooltips dont help me alot as i try to stay away from the mouse as good as i can.

I also dont need low and high limits first and foremost, i want to pick a couple of values from all values.

I have Pepins Display and it helps out in many cases but not when you want to pick specific parameter values.

The simplest form i have in mind is 8 displays like in Pepins. Then you open the device and under each display are 8 Knobs, 8 Indicators/Buttons, 8 Textfields and 1 parameter to define how many of the 8 you want to use. You set up the 1-8 values and name them. You then place it ontop of Modpanel and connect 8 knobs to it and the target CV-In (8 ins and outs on the back) and off you go.

electrofux

04 Aug 2018

What i also often miss is an 8 Channel AD Envelope and a device that takes two inputs and converts them to octave -1-8 and note 1-12 and outputs the corresponding note (maybe with selectable scale).
Also a simple 8x8 8x16 padmatrix would be nice to have. But that is just me.

Edit: I found that Hamus ModSlewer can be used as a multi Channel Envelope in some way.

• Information