KRON and SPEM

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
KirkMarkarian

24 Jul 2018

Two REs that I overlooked. I just got 'em both, and they are just both insanely useful.

First, SPEM. A lot of people know KRON is awesome, but SPEM solved an issue for me that I needed fixed, and it also added a ton of extra functionality.

I needed a volume control device that can be triggered via gate, and when that gate is triggered, it turns the volume on or off. Nope, I don't want to place an entire mixer into my combinator to do that. Nope, don't wanna use Alligator. I wanted a simple mixing device that does just enough. A simple trigger gate. Sure, there might be a few, and yeah, you can probably do it with Thor. No, that's not how I want to work. I want a designated device. Picky picky me.

So, I test this SPEM device, and lo and behold, it does exactly what I want. It also does a wide variety of other things that go above and beyond.

1. Main volume control in AND out
2. Gain in
3. Dry/wet level out pre main volume out
4. 4 separate channels to mix extra effects in and out - not mixer channels.
5. CV volume control for each of the 4 channels AND the main out

Earlier, I had created a glitching combinator that does glitch like how I want it to be, basing my results off of Max/MSP apps Cconfin, 2020 Beat Machine, and djrone. Less granular, more stutter and gate, but not boom-boom music stutter and gating - microsound stutter and gating. I can also add in granular and bitrate devices if/when necessary.

As a side note, the only delay that I have (and I have approximately 8 delays) that accurately emulates the Max/MSP delay is the kHs delay. A cheap thing that is clear and doesn't do the analog round-off at the end. Also, when I switch the timing via CV, there is less pitch-shifting going on. I was looking for a delay that sounds like Max/MSP, and that's pretty close. Also, it's got the Boss DD7 delay pedal vibe, where you can get the stutter effect less pitch-shift. I don't play guitar, but I like that effect.

Now I can remove the Ochen K. Glitch RE, and replace it with finer control using SPEM. I control SPEM with KRON

KRON is the LFO machine I should have gotten years ago. It's got lots outputs, lots of inputs, lots of ways to control CV that go way beyond any of the LFOs I've purchased in the past. It modulates the modulators in so many ways, I am at a loss to express the amount of happiness this device provides. In and of itself, it is a modular device. I'm able to control glitching audio much in the way I have using Max/MSP apps. Clicks and cuts, pops, smears, repeats, and very atypical versions thereof. It's important to me to be able to do such a thing, and now I can. Another brick sealing me into the Reason environment :D

So, thanks to both Bcase and Alien Seed. Damn fine devices. Useful when you're breaking away from the typical.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

24 Jul 2018

They are both excellent devices....

ExianNYC

24 Jul 2018

KirkMarkarian wrote:
24 Jul 2018
Two REs that I overlooked. I just got 'em both, and they are just both insanely useful.

So, thanks to both Bcase and Alien Seed. Damn fine devices. Useful when you're breaking away from the typical.
What a beautiful, detailed appreciation. It helps me and others see the many potential uses of these devices. Thanks!

I am finding Reason to be a more fun, musical and inspiring modular environment than Reaktor or the Nord Modular Demo or VCV.

As a single instrument, Aalto still reigns, at least in my world. But when I want to sprawl, I like doing it in Reason.

jimmyklane

25 Jul 2018

ExianNYC wrote:
24 Jul 2018
KirkMarkarian wrote:
24 Jul 2018

What a beautiful, detailed appreciation. It helps me and others see the many potential uses of these devices. Thanks!

I am finding Reason to be a more fun, musical and inspiring modular environment than Reaktor or the Nord Modular Demo or VCV.

As a single instrument, Aalto still reigns, at least in my world. But when I want to sprawl, I like doing it in Reason.
As an aside, I STILL use the Nord Modular demo as sample fodder. I’ve found that while not pretty or super inspiring in its lack of immediacy it does allow a lot of control and once you sample it you get over the monophonic nature of its architecture.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

MannequinRaces

25 Jul 2018

Thanks for brining SPEM to my attention, it sort of flew under my radar. If it can change channels without noticeable audio pop and glitches (the unwanted kind) this might be really useful! I already have KRON, love it but need to spend way more time with it.

KirkMarkarian

25 Jul 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
25 Jul 2018
Thanks for brining SPEM to my attention, it sort of flew under my radar. If it can change channels without noticeable audio pop and glitches (the unwanted kind) this might be really useful! I already have KRON, love it but need to spend way more time with it.
Hard to say, I haven't used it in that manner - I'm using it to harness 4 delays of varying lengths to do a stutter/gate thing. I'm using KRON to turn the channels' volume CV on and off. Nothing clicky/poppy coming from that, so far :D

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2018

There are a couple of things that I really like about spem and I will hold my hand up that I did beta test this from the beginning and it was a really good dev who discussed and listened to suggestions. I remember when it was 2 separate devices... anyway enough of memory lane.

Love the fact you can see peak in and out, I remember the early days when I use put on an EQ with a bit of gain thinking that EQ has made all the difference when in fact it was just an increase in db... DOH!!!!! Spem makes that checking nice and quick.

and the 2nd reason is being able to switch it from Serial to parallel on the fly..... there have been a couple of times when I have flipped the switch and though oh wow that's a nice sound now....

PoohBear

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
T&T's viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909
My Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

dpcoffin

25 Jul 2018

Umm…link to SPEM? There's no sign of that name at the Prop shop, and google's only heard of it in this post.

KirkMarkarian

26 Jul 2018

dpcoffin wrote:
25 Jul 2018
Umm…link to SPEM? There's no sign of that name at the Prop shop, and google's only heard of it in this post.
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... cts-mixer/

dpcoffin

26 Jul 2018

Thank you.

• Information