PSQ-1684 Rack Extension Appreciation Thread

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
artotaku

25 Jul 2018

rcbuse wrote:
24 Jul 2018
artotaku wrote:
24 Jul 2018

Thanks. Tried that some minutes ago. It works if Reset is set to 16. However, I typically have Reset to off since when Reset is reached it makes a hearable not pleasing effect if the width is nearly 100 for long notes.
Instead of using the global reset, you could use a clock divider on another pulse that triggers every 16 and use that in the mod matrix to trigger the first pulses reset.
Ah, didn´t know that you can reset pulses individually via mod matrix.
So thanks emilng and you for helping me out.

Here´s what it sounds like for inspiration (P1 triggers clap sound)

rcbuse
RE Developer

25 Jul 2018

artotaku wrote:
25 Jul 2018

Hell, I don't even remember what can be done in here and I have to read the manual

artotaku

25 Jul 2018

rcbuse wrote:
25 Jul 2018
artotaku wrote:
25 Jul 2018

Hell, I don't even remember what can be done in here and I have to read the manual
lol
I read the manual when I had no clue. Now I have some clue but don´t remember what I read in the manual ;-)

Catblack

25 Jul 2018

artotaku wrote:
25 Jul 2018
rcbuse wrote:
24 Jul 2018

Instead of using the global reset, you could use a clock divider on another pulse that triggers every 16 and use that in the mod matrix to trigger the first pulses reset.

I know it's a pretty simple setup, but would you mind sharing the PSQ patch? I can't quite see what you've got the matrix set to and I'm pretty sure I can figure out what you've got it routed to on the back.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

artotaku

26 Jul 2018

Catblack wrote:
25 Jul 2018
artotaku wrote:
25 Jul 2018

I know it's a pretty simple setup, but would you mind sharing the PSQ patch? I can't quite see what you've got the matrix set to and I'm pretty sure I can figure out what you've got it routed to on the back.
Sure. Pulse P1 CV out is connected to the Redrum with the clap sample.
PSQ-1684-clap-fill-patch.zip
(2.45 KiB) Downloaded 162 times

Catblack

26 Jul 2018

artotaku wrote:
26 Jul 2018
Catblack wrote:
25 Jul 2018

Sure. Pulse P1 CV out is connected to the Redrum with the clap sample.
PSQ-1684-clap-fill-patch.zip
Thanks for that! (I was forgetting to set pulse 1 delay!)

Damn.

artotaku

28 Jul 2018

Next exercise:

Code: Select all

....x.......xxxx
With max. 2 pulses and no global reset.
Is there a shift register pattern with excactly that?
Last edited by artotaku on 28 Jul 2018, edited 1 time in total.

rcbuse
RE Developer

28 Jul 2018

artotaku wrote:
28 Jul 2018
Next exercise:

...x.......xxxx
While your original request was an interesting exercise, using just the pulse sections to create specific patterns is kind of a pain in the ass.
If you want specific patterns like that, I would suggest dedicating a whole PSQ instance to that, and using the sequencer section to generate gates. PSQs can be chained together for such purposes.

Set the slave PSQs to sync:Tempo or they will follow transport like the first.
Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 12.45.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 12.45.05 PM.png (62.39 KiB) Viewed 4756 times

artotaku

28 Jul 2018

rcbuse wrote:
28 Jul 2018
artotaku wrote:
28 Jul 2018
Next exercise:

....x.......xxxx
While your original request was an interesting exercise, using just the pulse sections to create specific patterns is kind of a pain in the ass.
If you want specific patterns like that, I would suggest dedicating a whole PSQ instance to that, and using the sequencer section to generate gates. PSQs can be chained together for such purposes.

Set the slave PSQs to sync:Tempo or they will follow transport like the first.

Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 12.45.05 PM.png
Yeah, it eats up pulses. Breaking my own rule here I ended up using 3 pulses.

psq-1684-clap-fill.png
psq-1684-clap-fill.png (232.53 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
If anybody is interested here is the patch:

PSQ-1684-clap-fill2.zip
(2.49 KiB) Downloaded 171 times

xylyx

29 Jul 2018

artotaku wrote:
22 Jul 2018
Voices are switched on/off with a Newtrol which is automated from Reason main sequencer.
Maybe I'm missing something obvious or I am doing things differently but how did you set up the newtrol in the demo video? I know there is a toggle out CV connection but I was expecting a CV in for each channel that allowed the gate for each to be turned on or off...

artotaku

29 Jul 2018

xylyx wrote:
29 Jul 2018
artotaku wrote:
22 Jul 2018
Voices are switched on/off with a Newtrol which is automated from Reason main sequencer.
Maybe I'm missing something obvious or I am doing things differently but how did you set up the newtrol in the demo video? I know there is a toggle out CV connection but I was expecting a CV in for each channel that allowed the gate for each to be turned on or off...
It´s not very obvious in the video.
A Toggle out of the Newtrol is connected to a Select CV Input of a Select CV Switch. The CV/Gate out of PSQ-1684 is connected to the CV/Gate Input 8 of the Select CV Switch.
So the Newtrol Toggle switches from CV/Gate Input of the Select CV Switch from 1 to 8.
I did it that way since it allows me switching on/off a channel in a quantized way (4/4 or 1/4) which is handy in a live jam.

xylyx

29 Jul 2018

artotaku wrote:
29 Jul 2018
xylyx wrote:
29 Jul 2018

It´s not very obvious in the video.
A Toggle out of the Newtrol is connected to a Select CV Input of a Select CV Switch. The CV/Gate out of PSQ-1684 is connected to the CV/Gate Input 8 of the Select CV Switch.
So the Newtrol Toggle switches from CV/Gate Input of the Select CV Switch from 1 to 8.
I did it that way since it allows me switching on/off a channel in a quantized way (4/4 or 1/4) which is handy in a live jam.
Thanks for that, I am able to see how to use these tools to suit my needs now.

Bumbum

29 Jul 2018

One question came to my mind, is it possible to tap in/ record manually pulse and then pulse would be repeated/looped by psq and manipulated by other pulse options(like chaos/delay)?
And how about note sequence, would be possible to play in with midi controller wanted notes to the sequencer/quatizer? Same way like in step note recorder

Jay Bird

29 Jul 2018

I love the PSQ. I have been mostly using it to sequence drums and percussion. I have been using varying amounts of randomization though the sequencer part, chaos, and automation on the euclidean function, shift register, and DP density. It gives great control over the degree and areas of randomization. Provides percussion that is much more interesting than standard loops. I just threw up a track in the music section of the forum with the subject "Trippy New age/World" where this technique was employed.

Jay Bird

29 Jul 2018

Bumbum wrote:
29 Jul 2018
One question came to my mind, is it possible to tap in/ record manually pulse and then pulse would be repeated/looped by psq and manipulated by other pulse options(like chaos/delay)?
And how about note sequence, would be possible to play in with midi controller wanted notes to the sequencer/quatizer? Same way like in step note recorder
The PSQ cannot do this type of stuff.

artotaku

12 Aug 2018

Challenge Sunday.
PSQ-1684 is all about chaos and generative sequences but what about doing a longer "traditional" cheesy melody phrase with varying note lengths?
So I borrowed the melody of a remix I did for !Cube - Blip Blop Memories which is eight bars long and thought about a way how put that into PSQ.
This is what I came up with, all sequencing of all instruments done with one PSQ instance.

The trick is to let each step control its own note length which reduces the amount of steps of such a long phrase greatly so it fits into a 32 step sequencer. The note length is controlled by modulating the pulse generator´s division value by the Aux value of each step (via Mod Matrix).

KirkMarkarian

12 Aug 2018

artotaku wrote:
12 Aug 2018
Artotaku - well done! PSQ is a great addition to Reason :D

Bumbum

14 Aug 2018

artotaku wrote:
12 Aug 2018
Challenge Sunday.
PSQ-1684 is all about chaos and generative sequences but what about doing a longer "traditional" cheesy melody phrase with varying note lengths?
So I borrowed the melody of a remix I did for !Cube - Blip Blop Memories which is eight bars long and thought about a way how put that into PSQ.
This is what I came up with, all sequencing of all instruments done with one PSQ instance.

The trick is to let each step control its own note length which reduces the amount of steps of such a long phrase greatly so it fits into a 32 step sequencer. The note length is controlled by modulating the pulse generator´s division value by the Aux value of each step (via Mod Matrix).
impressive how you tame the psq! thanks for describing that note length trick,have to try that.

i am fan of really slow n wonky drum grooves, i wanted change/modulate the time between drum pattern triggers. so I modulate a1 pulse speed via combinator (psq matrix is not precise enough for this) and trigger thor step seq (1shot) that plays bassdrum and snare samples from kong.

artotaku

17 Aug 2018

KirkMarkarian wrote:
12 Aug 2018
artotaku wrote:
12 Aug 2018
Artotaku - well done! PSQ is a great addition to Reason :D
Thanks!

artotaku

17 Aug 2018

Bumbum wrote:
14 Aug 2018
artotaku wrote:
12 Aug 2018
Challenge Sunday.

impressive how you tame the psq! thanks for describing that note length trick,have to try that.

i am fan of really slow n wonky drum grooves, i wanted change/modulate the time between drum pattern triggers. so I modulate a1 pulse speed via combinator (psq matrix is not precise enough for this) and trigger thor step seq (1shot) that plays bassdrum and snare samples from kong.
I also had some issues with modulating the time division in way that I got the result I wanted. Unfortunately, you cannot check the exact result value since the Time Div value cannot be routed to a CV output.
I had to dial in the Aux value until it fitted a 1/4 or 1/8 note. I also had to reset the pulse after 2 bars with another pulse generator (P2) so it was in sync again.
So, if the melody has note lengths that overlap a bar or more you have to set the reset trigger to the appropriate value.

seqoi

21 Aug 2018

artotaku wrote:
12 Aug 2018

Amazing. Well done.,

artotaku

25 Aug 2018

CV nerdism ahead! This time I wanted to create an interesting rhythm for a chord progression stab that I can change on the fly by tweaking various parameters. The idea is to switch between an euclidean and a bread and butter time division rhythm with a bit of shift register bits and chaos flavor. I don´t want to mix both rhythms - I want them to be applied sequentially and this by only sacrifying two pulses.

So, how to build the switch? We will use a pulse for that. On high signal the euclidian rhythm is applied and on low signal the time division is applied. The cool thing about this is that if you change the pulse width you can alter the duration on how long both rhythms are applied.

The problem is that with the low signal part of a pulse you cannot modulate any value. The solution - use a quantizer or sequencer to convert the low to a high signal.

The setup:
- Pulse A1 is the ryhthm generator
- Pulse A2 is the switch. The high value of the pulse controls the time division value of A1. The low value of the shift register bits controls the euclidean density of A1
- A2 pulse is routed to quantizer Q2 via CV1 out as a negative value. The quantizer offsets the value to positive. Now pulse A2 signal is inverted and routed to CV1 in!
- [Edit] Found a better solution which makes CV routing obsolete: A2 pulse modulates the pulse of a sequencer (e. g. S8) with a negative value -100 while the pulse is modulated with a constant value of 100. This inverts the A2 pulse signal. The inverted pulse from S8 then modulates a parameter of A1.
psq-1684-pulse-massacre-mod-matrix.png
psq-1684-pulse-massacre-mod-matrix.png (1.43 KiB) Viewed 4205 times
In the video I switch between different patches to show rhythm variation, also visualized by CV analyzer.

FLVZ

31 Aug 2018

This thread got me intrigued in the capabilities of PSQ. So I thought I'd download the trial and play around with it in combination with VK2, my mind was blown, instabuy! Now I can press randomise and just sit there for hours listening to VK2 roar at me :lol: Would be interesting if there was gate CV for each oscillator on VK2 though...

Loque

31 Aug 2018

Flavolous wrote:
31 Aug 2018
Would be interesting if there was gate CV for each oscillator on VK2 though...
Send the gate to the Mixer slots through a Combinator. With Janitor you can smooth the gate to simulate an envelope or just use envelope generator which gets your gate as a trigger.
Reason12, Win10

Catblack

31 Aug 2018

Flavolous wrote:
31 Aug 2018
This thread got me intrigued in the capabilities of PSQ. So I thought I'd download the trial and play around with it in combination with VK2, my mind was blown, instabuy! Now I can press randomise and just sit there for hours listening to VK2 roar at me :lol: Would be interesting if there was gate CV for each oscillator on VK2 though...

I followed your routing a bit. Instant fun, thanks!

Damn.

• Information