PSQ-1684 Rack Extension Appreciation Thread

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
VariableX

17 Sep 2018

shamelessly copied artotaku! but thats the best form of flattery :)

artotaku

17 Sep 2018

fretshot7 wrote:
17 Sep 2018

At least you cleverly disguised it by using a different CV analyzer scope color ;)
But it´s really cool what you did!

artotaku

17 Sep 2018

msbevel wrote:
14 Sep 2018
Dude this is amazing. I have the PSQ but I don't fully understand it yet.
Thanks! If you have any questions about the video feel free to ask.

VariableX

17 Sep 2018

artotaku wrote:
17 Sep 2018
fretshot7 wrote:
17 Sep 2018

At least you cleverly disguised it by using a different CV analyzer scope color ;)
But it´s really cool what you did!
thanks! it was really hard, especially when you dont really know what you are doing, but slowly I started to understand your posts and got there in the end ( kinda )
It was a great learning process, thanks for sharing your wisdom in this thread :thumbs_up:

rcbuse
RE Developer

17 Sep 2018

I'm always amazed at what people are doing with PSQ. Taking things so much further than I would have imagined.

Bumbum

17 Sep 2018

is it ok to capture short pulse from PSQ with Shape and then loop it forever? i feel strange when i do this.

rcbuse
RE Developer

17 Sep 2018

Bumbum wrote:
17 Sep 2018
is it ok to capture short pulse from PSQ with Shape and then loop it forever? i feel strange when i do this.
Panda Approves

Loque

17 Sep 2018

Bumbum wrote:
17 Sep 2018
How can we help you with your feelings if you use what you have?
Reason12, Win10

VariableX

19 Sep 2018

I joined two PSQs together and used the first for drums ( Umpf loaded with reason stock samples ) and the second PSQ for running some VK-2 synths... i used all the techniques ive learned from this thread :)

FLVZ

19 Sep 2018

fretshot7 wrote:
19 Sep 2018
I joined two PSQs together and used the first for drums ( Umpf loaded with reason stock samples ) and the second PSQ for running some VK-2 synths... i used all the techniques ive learned from this thread :)

Excellent stuff dude! Would love to hear a slowed down version of this with added long reverb to vk2. I wanna hear vk2 weep :lol:

VariableX

19 Sep 2018

Flavolous wrote:
19 Sep 2018
fretshot7 wrote:
19 Sep 2018

Excellent stuff dude! Would love to hear a slowed down version of this with added long reverb to vk2. I wanna hear vk2 weep :lol:
Thanks! and thanks for taking the time to look :)
I'll have a think about how to slow it down and add reverb to the VK-2 parts :idea:

rcbuse
RE Developer

24 Sep 2018

Not sure how many users had a copy of PSQ v1, but found this tonight and thought it was pretty funny where it started
PSQ1684v1.png
PSQ1684v1.png (409.83 KiB) Viewed 3289 times

FLVZ

03 Oct 2018

rcbuse wrote:
24 Sep 2018
Not sure how many users had a copy of PSQ v1, but found this tonight and thought it was pretty funny where it started

PSQ1684v1.png
PSQ started going to the gym and became vegan :puf_bigsmile:

artotaku

02 Nov 2018

Quick Tip - Use PSQ-1684 as quantized trigger for drums sounds (clap and snare fills).

Just watched this (great live performance btw)

where Kink is hammering on the Korg LPD8 pads to improvise a snare fill which seems to be quantized to 16th notes.

Now lets do that (at least technically) in Reason. Grab a Kong and the weapon of choice PSQ-1684 and...

- Pad 1 - 4 on Kong are used to trigger pads 8 - 12 where I placed clap and snare samples
- Gate out 1 - 4 are routed to CV1 - CV4 in of PSQ
- In Mod Matrix CV1 - 4 modulate the division of P1 - P4
- Grid out 1 - 4 are routed to Gate in 8 - 12 of Kong

Triggers are quantized to 16th notes. When holding the Kong pad, gate keeps triggering in 16th steps.

Ofc this can be done with Thor but it has only one sequencer. You´d need four Thors to do that.

Faastwalker

05 Nov 2018

Bumbum wrote:
17 Sep 2018
Shape is bloody awesome as well. I don't think I've used it for a while though (too many RE's!! :shock:).

I'd forgotten about the capture input. time to fire it up again & have a play with that I think ;)

VariableX

05 Nov 2018

haha i got shape too and have no idea what it does or how to use it... maybe if someone makes a cool song with shape and psq-1684 i can copy
it 😀..... artotaku?

artotaku

05 Nov 2018

fretshot7 wrote:
05 Nov 2018
haha i got shape too and have no idea what it does or how to use it... maybe if someone makes a cool song with shape and psq-1684 i can copy
it 😀..... artotaku?
I don´t own Shape but when looking at it seems that it is more aimed for doing weird modulations on sound (e. g. filter, volume on synths etc.) rather than sequencing stuff.
In that context you´d actually use PSQ-1684 to trigger the Shape envelope with a Pulse while Shape is connected to CV inputs on some synths to modulate some parameters.
What´s actually cool with Shape it has a one shot trigger, so if you want to trigger a modulated fx only once for a fill fx or similar in a live scenario.

But possibilities are endless. To contradict what I said above you could even go crazy and build a song with multple Shapes using them as a sequencer
since nothing hinders you creating pulse signals with it.

ejanuska

05 Nov 2018

The PSQ-1684 is great because its flexible.
It can be a drum machine, a pattern sequencer/selector, a waveform generator.
In a combinator the possibilities explode.
It can be random, it can be linear.
It's just so nice to stay in the rack and tweak it instead of going back and forth to the sequencer.

I just couldn't help gushing about my favorite RE. If you don't have one you're missing out.

dvdrtldg

05 Nov 2018

ejanuska wrote:
05 Nov 2018
How do you use it as a waveform generator?

kungubu

06 Nov 2018

dvdrtldg wrote:
05 Nov 2018
ejanuska wrote:
05 Nov 2018
How do you use it as a waveform generator?
Any sequencer can generate a waveform. If you loop a couple of cv-values you get a stepped waveform that could be used as a lfo, an envelope, or a semi random sample and hold. If you crank up the speed to max and don't make the sequence to long you cold even listen to it if you convert the cv to audio (in thor for example).

cognitive

12 Nov 2018

Thanks everyone for some great examples and discussion. This has been very helpful in helping me come to grips with PSQ. This RE is insanely powerful and I'm really enjoying the creative aspects of it.

And thanks to Lectric Panda for some amazing REs. Consider me a fan of your work.

cognitive

14 Nov 2018

theshoemaker wrote:
23 Jul 2018
What I really would like to see is pattern switches for PSQ
That would be a really good add for switching PSQ scenes using the same instruments.

In the meantime, I did find a workaround that sort of emulates this on a limited basis. I run multiple sequencer outputs (S1 - S8) from PSQ into one or more instances of Robotic Bean's free CV channel switcher, depending on how many instruments I'm driving with one PSQ.

https://shop.propellerheads.com/rack-ex ... cv-switch/

Because each sequencer S1-S8 in PSQ can be set up with different parameters, pulse generators, quantizers, etc, there's a lot of scene-like variation that can be done with this method, and it's easy to set up even for melodic instruments because Robotic Bean was kind enough to gives both gate and CV for each channel. You can even daisy-chain multiple CV switchers for easy 1-button mass scene switching for multiple PSQ/CV switcher/instrument chains.

Bonus points for Robotic Bean, the Select CV Switch can snap channel changes to beats or measures to keep switches in time with the music.

artotaku

15 Nov 2018

cognitive wrote:
14 Nov 2018
theshoemaker wrote:
23 Jul 2018
What I really would like to see is pattern switches for PSQ
That would be a really good add for switching PSQ scenes using the same instruments.

In the meantime, I did find a workaround that sort of emulates this on a limited basis. I run multiple sequencer outputs (S1 - S8) from PSQ into one or more instances of Robotic Bean's free CV channel switcher, depending on how many instruments I'm driving with one PSQ.

Because each sequencer S1-S8 in PSQ can be set up with different parameters, pulse generators, quantizers, etc, there's a lot of scene-like variation that can be done with this method, and it's easy to set up even for melodic instruments because Robotic Bean was kind enough to gives both gate and CV for each channel. You can even daisy-chain multiple CV switchers for easy 1-button mass scene switching for multiple PSQ/CV switcher/instrument chains.

Bonus points for Robotic Bean, the Select CV Switch can snap channel changes to beats or measures to keep switches in time with the music.
It would be handy if the CV switch could be switched off when the select value is set to -1 (like other Reason stock pattern devices). Unfortunetly the value range is from 0 to 7.

cognitive

15 Nov 2018

artotaku wrote:
15 Nov 2018
cognitive wrote:
14 Nov 2018

It would be handy if the CV switch could be switched off when the select value is set to -1 (like other Reason stock pattern devices). Unfortunetly the value range is from 0 to 7.
True. It would be good to be able to use all 8 channels and just one automation lane for CV channel switching AND an "off" setting instead of having to separately automate "RUN" on the PSQ. My solution is that I reserve channel 1 on the switcher as an empty CV input. It reduces the number of possible "active" scenes to 7, but my sequencer timeline is less cluttered.

artotaku

23 Nov 2018

It is so simple and effective but not that obvious. Did you know that you could apply some ongoing variations to the volume of your drums or any other instruments by modulating the velocity by the shift register value?

Here´s the routing:
Instead of using the shift register pulse use its value as a source in the mod matrix to modulate the velocity of the sequencer. You need to reduce the sequencers velocity value a bit otherwise you won´t notice it.

Btw if you route the shift register value to any CV out you can get get some interesting (stepped) curves like an LFO.

• Information