Update for RX950 Classic AD/DA Converter

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
riemac

17 Jul 2018

The RX950 Classic AD/DA Converter has been updated in the shop today with improved audio model (better high-end frequency response).

I've just updated, but wish I hadn't. The high-end is now way to much for me.
Please implement an switch on the back for backwards compatibility!

Loque

17 Jul 2018

riemac wrote:
17 Jul 2018
The RX950 Classic AD/DA Converter has been updated in the shop today with improved audio model (better high-end frequency response).

Yea, i thought comments like this will come. It might be not the best idea to change the sound, even if it is a bug...
Reason12, Win10

Adabler
Competition Winner

17 Jul 2018

Turns out, if you subscribe to an RE that gets an update, it will be deleted from your subscription. Yay!
:reason: 12, Win10

KirkMarkarian

17 Jul 2018

riemac wrote:
17 Jul 2018
Yes, please? The difference is quite noticeable, and seems to have taken away the magic that it once had. May we have a switch to put it back to where it was?

aeox
Competition Winner

17 Jul 2018

"better high-end frequency response" is not a good thing for this product. When using the input gain, the high frequencies become way too dense, taking up too much headroom and resulting in an imbalanced sound that is brittle. Before, you could just increase the input gain and be done with it, no need for after EQ or anything to "fix" it. Yea there is a filter on the device, I don't like the sound of it very much so I have to use external EQ to "Fix" the high frequencies.
I think it was perfect the way it was!

I think to switch between the two is a good idea. The new audio model can be turned on when you actually need a great high frequency boost.

joeyluck

18 Jul 2018

riemac wrote:
17 Jul 2018

Where do you have the Audio Bandwidth set? Have you tried lower levels for that parameter?

LarsK

18 Jul 2018

riemac wrote:
17 Jul 2018

Thanks for the heads up.
Currently using a few of these in a deep house track - will wait for a possible fix before updating.

riemac

18 Jul 2018

LarsK wrote:
18 Jul 2018
riemac wrote:
17 Jul 2018

Thanks for the heads up.
Currently using a few of these in a deep house track - will wait for a possible fix before updating.
Same as me, I currently use it on a Deep House Track as well. After the update there is so much high-end that it doesn‘t fit into the genre Deep any more. Even turning down the Bit Rate doesn‘t help.

EdGrip

18 Jul 2018

There's a GS thread about the RX950, where posters said they felt it had a muted high end compared to the real thing: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product ... ter-2.html

It could be the dev was taking this criticism on board and trying to refine the sound for more realism. Hopefully MD has a real S950 or two for reference.

I really like this device - I'm a bit worried about hitting "sync all" now.

riemac

18 Jul 2018

EdGrip wrote:
18 Jul 2018
There's a GS thread about the RX950, where posters said they felt it had a muted high end compared to the real thing: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product ... ter-2.html

It could be the dev was taking this criticism on board and trying to refine the sound for more realism. Hopefully MD has a real S950 or two for reference.

I really like this device - I'm a bit worried about hitting "sync all" now.
Yes, I felt that the high-end was a little muted as well befor. But it fitted the the warm and oldschool
vipe. And in comparison the high-end is now way to much, this can not be realistic.
Last edited by riemac on 18 Jul 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Marco Raaphorst

18 Jul 2018

A button for the new high end would be better imo. I do miss the old sound with less high end which I liked a lot.

Btw this RE is out of phase. So a phase button would also be nice as for an update.

nickb523
RE Developer

18 Jul 2018

A button would definitely be better. Labelling the new button "High Boost" would make much more sense. :)

Marco Raaphorst

18 Jul 2018

nickb523 wrote:
18 Jul 2018
A button would definitely be better. Labelling the new button "High Boost" would make much more sense. :)
I agree. And a phase reverse button.

Faastwalker

18 Jul 2018

Thanks for the heads up. Will not upgrade yet. I agree that a button to switch between original & new version sounds like the way forward to keep everyone happy.

hurricane
Competition Winner

18 Jul 2018

The developer is awfully quiet. And I was about to buy this.

Oh well, there are other options:

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... istortion/
Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 9.43.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 9.43.35 PM.png (437.9 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
https://soniccharge.com/permut8

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 9.42.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 9.42.46 PM.png (593.3 KiB) Viewed 2866 times

http://d16.pl/decimort2
Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 9.45.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 9.45.32 PM.png (689.18 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

aeox
Competition Winner

18 Jul 2018

There is this thing too.. I haven't even trialed it yet though

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... converter/

joeyluck

18 Jul 2018

hurricane wrote:
18 Jul 2018
You were about to buy it? Did you come around? :puf_smile: I remember you making the same sales pitch before with Decimort. viewtopic.php?p=383440#p383440 And people answered you then. I have both. They are not the same. And the other plugins are quite different as well.

It's only been a day. Just yesterday Along with the RE, they also updated the VST/AU, as well as introduced the plugin in AAX, VST3, AUv3 for iOS and added NKS support. https://www.mathieudemange.fr/press-rel ... -1-update/ They are a two person operation. Give them a little bit of time :puf_smile:

joeyluck

19 Jul 2018

aeox wrote:
18 Jul 2018
There is this thing too.. I haven't even trialed it yet though

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... converter/
When people post suggestions of alternatives (plugins I like though!) but that aren't close to being the same, and in this case, before someone has even tried the other plugin...and doing so within a day of an update before hearing from the developer...I wonder what the point is. It's quite a bit (pun definitely intended) off topic :P

aeox
Competition Winner

19 Jul 2018

joeyluck wrote:
19 Jul 2018
It's quite a bit--

You answered your own question right there. They all share that in common.

Threads get off topic on this forum all the time. Derailment is another thing though. Let's try not to..

hurricane
Competition Winner

19 Jul 2018

joeyluck wrote:
18 Jul 2018
hurricane wrote:
18 Jul 2018
You were about to buy it? Did you come around? :puf_smile:
Yup! Because I'm in the beginning of a hardware phase (thanks jimmyklane) , and I'm wondering what all the fuss is regarding the old samplers, and I like having backup RE versions of certain devices in case I'm ever in a position where I'm without my VSTs and the only music making app I have access to is Reason. Also, this device's sound supposedly can't be replicated by Decimort (I'm curious and I'd like to give that a test - and my trial is over). And also because it's only $19.

I use Decimort in Logic - it's great! But I use it to make things sound lofi, not really to emulate the sonic characteristics of old samplers. But that's something I am currently researching. So as I was researching these things I found other options, like Tal-Sampler, Morgana, Nomad Factory's Garbage, XLNs Retro Color can do this too, and there are a few Reaktor bit crushers.

A little pressure won't hurt - I'm curious to see how Mr Demange handles this (I believe he is a friend of Reasontalk, right?) ;)
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

19 Jul 2018

hurricane wrote:
19 Jul 2018
joeyluck wrote:
18 Jul 2018

You were about to buy it? Did you come around? :puf_smile:
Yup! Because I'm in the beginning of a hardware phase (thanks jimmyklane) , and I'm wondering what all the fuss is regarding the old samplers, and I like having backup RE versions of certain devices in case I'm ever in a position where I'm without my VSTs and the only music making app I have access to is Reason. Also, this device's sound supposedly can't be replicated by Decimort (I'm curious and I'd like to give that a test - and my trial is over). And also because it's only $19.

I use Decimort in Logic - it's great! But I use it to make things sound lofi, not really to emulate the sonic characteristics of old samplers. But that's something I am currently researching. So as I was researching these things I found other options, like Tal-Sampler, Morgana, Nomad Factory's Garbage, XLNs Retro Color can do this too, and there are a few Reaktor bit crushers.

A little pressure won't hurt - I'm curious to see how Mr Demange handles this (I believe he is a friend of Reasontalk, right?) ;)
Yeah I'm a fan of many of these plugins. And each one for me has it's place. Grit, degradation, retro coloring, etc. can have so many uses and can work magic and behave in different ways on different things. Great IMO to have a toolbox of them. Just the same as compressors, EQs, reverbs, etc. Some people may want the most accurate emulation of a particular model. Others may just want to have any emulation of that type. And then others may just want any type of that effect. And then folks may fall in love with certain plugins for different reasons; maybe it's nostalgia and accuracy...maybe it's not...maybe it's something else that just clicks for them.

Mr. Demange is certainly very friendly :) He did an interview with us and a couple competitions. But not as active in the forums though... I was under the assumption that folks who have real concerns with the update have sent emails?

inphonik
RE Developer

19 Jul 2018

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback after the release of the RX950 1.1 update!

We've received a lot of messages about the audio model improvement that introduced a consequent change compared to the previous version. We understand that it can be an important issue for our users who were satisfied with the initial audio model. The 1.1 update was meant to bring a more accurate high-frequency response, as reported by some users and as measured by our own further comparisons with our S950 reference hardware.

We realize that changing the audio model of an existing product can cause a lot of trouble for our users, and we are sorry for that.

To fix this, we'll be implementing a toggle-switch for choosing between the old audio model and the new one, to be released as an upcoming 1.1.1 free update.

Thank you for your continuous support.

With kind regards,

Mathieu

jimmyklane

19 Jul 2018

The “bandwidth” setting on the original Akai DOES go up to 19,200Hz, and you can get very crisp detail from it. I loved the original RX950, because you pretty much always sample at 10kHz or less if you can get away with it. It’s nice to see the dev implementing a switch so it won’t break peoples projects...but the truth is that it sounds closer to reality. Lots of drums have a pass through that unit, just to clip them a little before sending them to a drum machine.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

aeox
Competition Winner

19 Jul 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
19 Jul 2018
The “bandwidth” setting on the original Akai DOES go up to 19,200Hz, and you can get very crisp detail from it. I loved the original RX950, because you pretty much always sample at 10kHz or less if you can get away with it. It’s nice to see the dev implementing a switch so it won’t break peoples projects...but the truth is that it sounds closer to reality. Lots of drums have a pass through that unit, just to clip them a little before sending them to a drum machine.
I'm surprised you didn't notice something sounding different after doing the song for the challenge. :P

jimmyklane

19 Jul 2018

aeox wrote:
19 Jul 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
19 Jul 2018
I'm surprised you didn't notice something sounding different after doing the song for the challenge. :P
Truth time: I haven’t used it for quite some time....instead it made me go out and buy an S950 (my newest sampler)...I took a quick listen to that demo track and did notice that the distortion I dialed in was much harsher.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

• Information