Super Audio Cart RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Pepin

07 Aug 2018

Received a reply--no discount :puf_unhappy:
Still an great library, but worth keeping in mind if you're debating RE vs Kontakt format

buddard
RE Developer

10 Aug 2018

They made a video!

Gosh

12 Sep 2018

I see that an update is available (1.0.1) but no release notes have been published. Has anybody updated and can comment on the changes? Since the Kontakt version has so many great patches I am really hoping for more presets for the RE.

HeavyViper

12 Sep 2018

I got a call to cook up a few combinators for it a while back, so I'd imagine there will be some new presets in there for sure.
Sound Designer and Composer :reason: FM+PSG Chip Sorcerer
https://heavyviper.bandcamp.com

buddard
RE Developer

12 Sep 2018

Gosh wrote:
12 Sep 2018
I see that an update is available (1.0.1) but no release notes have been published. Has anybody updated and can comment on the changes? Since the Kontakt version has so many great patches I am really hoping for more presets for the RE.
The changes are:
  • Some faulty loop points were corrected
  • Around 80 new combinator patches were added

Gosh

12 Sep 2018

thanks for your helpful answers, much appreciated

strangers
Competition Winner

12 Sep 2018

The update is 5.2 GB. That's one hefty update for a fix and combinator patches.

HeavyViper

12 Sep 2018

Pretty sure that if an RE gets updated then the entire thing needs to be downloaded again, across the board. Not exactly a patch, more of a "new billboard sticker over the old one" thing. :V
Sound Designer and Composer :reason: FM+PSG Chip Sorcerer
https://heavyviper.bandcamp.com

strangers
Competition Winner

12 Sep 2018

HeavyViper wrote:
12 Sep 2018
Pretty sure that if an RE gets updated then the entire thing needs to be downloaded again, across the board. Not exactly a patch, more of a "new billboard sticker over the old one" thing. :V
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know that's how the updates work for RE's.

MannequinRaces

15 Sep 2018

Bummed out I passed on the 50% off sale that happened when this was Deal of the Week. Really hoping it goes on sale during Thanksgiving / Christmas / New Year.

reddust

27 Feb 2019

EDIT: I have bought Super Audio Cart yesterday after watching some videos and listening to the demos at home so I will be able to answer the questions myself soon, I let the original question though in case someone has this same doubt in the future and we can answer it and save some writing :)

---

Hi,

I've seen Super Audio Cart is now available as a Rent-To-Own RE and also included into the Rewards Products, so I'm thinking of buying it through one of these two modes, but I wanted to ask here first if somebody has used this Rack Extension enough to tell if it's worth buying...

I'm doing some songs for a new project where computer and chiptune sounds will be main part of my sound, but I don't want it to sound too much like a Lo-Fi thing, so I've seen in the official video from Impact Works that adding some effects and modules one can get a much richer and modern sound out of this RE.

So my question about getting quality sounds out of this RE is kind of answered but what I would like to know - and here is where I need some answer from anybody that has used this RE for a while - is if this RE offers me some advantage worth the buy, like unique sounds I won't be able to reproduce by tweaking some synths I already own, like Thor, Malström or Parsec2... or at least save me a lot of time editing those sounds to get to the same point.

Wobbleburger

28 Feb 2019

I'm curious why this isn't available for subscription.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

strangers
Competition Winner

28 Feb 2019

reddust wrote:
27 Feb 2019
EDIT: I have bought Super Audio Cart yesterday after watching some videos and listening to the demos at home so I will be able to answer the questions myself soon, I let the original question though in case someone has this same doubt in the future and we can answer it and save some writing :)

---

Hi,

I've seen Super Audio Cart is now available as a Rent-To-Own RE and also included into the Rewards Products, so I'm thinking of buying it through one of these two modes, but I wanted to ask here first if somebody has used this Rack Extension enough to tell if it's worth buying...

I'm doing some songs for a new project where computer and chiptune sounds will be main part of my sound, but I don't want it to sound too much like a Lo-Fi thing, so I've seen in the official video from Impact Works that adding some effects and modules one can get a much richer and modern sound out of this RE.

So my question about getting quality sounds out of this RE is kind of answered but what I would like to know - and here is where I need some answer from anybody that has used this RE for a while - is if this RE offers me some advantage worth the buy, like unique sounds I won't be able to reproduce by tweaking some synths I already own, like Thor, Malström or Parsec2... or at least save me a lot of time editing those sounds to get to the same point.
This is one of my favorite RE's. No need to worry about being too lo-fi. The filter section makes this RE very versatile for all types of sounds. Even the drum sounds are great and heavily varied just by using the filters. I'm no sound designer by any means but I'm more productive with this RE than 90% of the synths I have. I'm sure you can whip up similar sounds with Thor or Parsec 2. The kicker for me was how quickly I can knock out the sounds I'm looking for without even needing to throw in extra effects. Then again I'm primarily a guitarist. My goal for everything is getting the best base sound before even bothering with effects so my opinion may be a little unusual compared to the electronic world.

Like I said, I'm not a sound designer by any means. This RE was attactive to me since it's quick and to the point. I'm all about workflow. Even if Thor or Parsec are more than capable of doing the same thing, I'm more inclined to roll with the device that gets me the results I want faster. Anyway, good luck with the RE. Your question reminded me I have a few songs using this RE that I never finished.

reddust

01 Mar 2019

Wobbleburger wrote:
28 Feb 2019
I'm curious why this isn't available for subscription.
Actually I find it to be a Rent-To-Own product better, because you can rent it similar to a subscription and when you have paid the whole amount it's yours forever and you stop paying for it. You can also cancel this kind of payment in the middle of the process but I don't know if you can restart it at a later point keeping the payed amount in your account or if you have to pay all over from the start, that would be interesting to know.

Bad thing is that the price is fixed to 9 euros/dollars per month, so if you buy three or four plugins as a rent-to-own product you will have a much higher monthly fee than using a subscription. But you're right, it is weird that this product is available as a rent-to-own but not in a subscription, I guess this is a decision by ISW, I'd say Propellerheads would be interested to offers as many products as possible in every different option, or so I think :)

reddust

01 Mar 2019

strangers wrote:
28 Feb 2019
This is one of my favorite RE's. No need to worry about being too lo-fi. The filter section makes this RE very versatile for all types of sounds. Even the drum sounds are great and heavily varied just by using the filters. I'm no sound designer by any means but I'm more productive with this RE than 90% of the synths I have. I'm sure you can whip up similar sounds with Thor or Parsec 2. The kicker for me was how quickly I can knock out the sounds I'm looking for without even needing to throw in extra effects. Then again I'm primarily a guitarist. My goal for everything is getting the best base sound before even bothering with effects so my opinion may be a little unusual compared to the electronic world.

Like I said, I'm not a sound designer by any means. This RE was attactive to me since it's quick and to the point. I'm all about workflow. Even if Thor or Parsec are more than capable of doing the same thing, I'm more inclined to roll with the device that gets me the results I want faster. Anyway, good luck with the RE. Your question reminded me I have a few songs using this RE that I never finished.
Nice to hear that, I've been making music mainly with guitars, bass and drums most of my life too, so I guess I am also a kind of musician who prefers to get quick to the point instead of spending much time tweaking a synth or a chain of effects. And that's also one of the main reasons that made me purchase this RE, because it seems to offer almost everything I need from it directly in its interface.

That arpeggiator with the possibility to change the pitch, pan, velocity... and up to 32 steps seems like a very useful feature. And the drum kits sound already very interesting in the demos. I hope I can get to know it better this weekend, seems like a tool I could get some good uses soon.

reddust

04 Mar 2019

I've been testing Super Audio Cart last weekend and I am very happy I purchased it. It has really pretty decent sounds and I have seen in the presets how much you can do with the arpeggiator and looks like I'm going to have a lot of fun with it, I'm glad I found it :)

MannequinRaces

05 May 2019

Disappointed there aren’t more drum combis / patches. Other than that it sounds great!

Hydrosonic

05 May 2019

Last Month, I decided to treat myself to a secondhand at a reasonable price - Twisted Electrons TherapSid (MK1) It sounds so damn dirty, I think the 6581 Sid Chip in mine is either naturally Dirty or its on its way out of this world. But I do have to say I love how it disintigrates into a dark dark crunch when the filter is swept into the low end.

Anyway I have also been in search of more Retro Chiptune Synths, but to satisfy my needs I purchased Super Audio Cart while it has been on tthe weekly Deal. Which is lucky as I decided to Trial it 2 weeks ago with a chance of it dropping in the May Madness. My luck it did :) I don't usually go in for Romplers, more of a Synth guy, but there was no way I'd get to buy all those Consoles/Computers to mess about with them. So this was a no brainer deal for me :)

And the TherapSid has that lovely Filter input just to drive Super Audio Cart into real crunch :ugeek:

And resampling the drum hits and SFX into my OctaTrack for more audio mangling and sequencing is going to keep me happy for a long time to come. All those lovely conditional / % triggers, I can't wait

sleep1979

05 May 2019

MrFigg wrote:
09 Jul 2018
P'elle wrote:
09 Jul 2018
How is this ideal for hip hop and EDM? Is video game nostalgia about to be the next big wave? Perhaps they have seen the future.
Without trying to sound negative I don’t really get how (based purely on the description) it’s ideal for anything. That’s just my opinion of course.
Its only good for super mario

• Information