NoteSet Player RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ljekio

05 Jul 2018

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... or-filter/

Nobody noticed new player in the shop?
How useful can you see it?

I thought it would be good if he combined one device from these two: a noteset + chordset. With the new keyboard view instead of the digits of the chord steps.

Loque

05 Jul 2018

I set a note for myself... You got it?
Ok... Serious now... I am not sure what to think about this and if I need this somehow. I like the idea of changing devices, but shouldn't this work in every case for players? What do I miss about this device? What does it realy offer for me? No idea tbh...
Reason12, Win10

Bes
Competition Winner

05 Jul 2018

i have a large folder of chord progression patches that perhaps wouldnt be transferable to the patch format of a player device

i find that the addition of the player helps me get the most out of RND which i am enjoying using like a live instrument at the moment
- Certified Reason expert

Faastwalker

05 Jul 2018

Started reading the description & instantly thought about Propellerhead's own Scales & Chords Player. Then I read this;

In contrast to the Scale & Chords player, NoteSet does not use a predefined musical scale, it’s always adapting to the chords being played. The same incoming notes are corrected or filtered to different notes with each new chord.

So it's like Scales & Chords but with this difference. So could be interesting to play around with. Especially for a non player like myself. 'We don't make mistakes, we just have happy accidents'.

Loque

05 Jul 2018

Hum... That means, i could feed anything into it and it will produce a correct chord? Like a s/h LFO via CVTP or RND player?
Reason12, Win10

Catblack

05 Jul 2018

From my testing it appears that NoteSet will set the notes based on you sending the notes in any order on the note CV in, as long as the gate CV in is non zero.

I think if you send it a zero on the gate CV, it turns them all off.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Bes
Competition Winner

05 Jul 2018

Loque wrote:
05 Jul 2018
Hum... That means, i could feed anything into it and it will produce a correct chord? Like a s/h LFO via CVTP or RND player?
it does not output chords. it takes information about a chord from one source (chordset) and information about a note value from another source (CVPT or RND) and then corrects the value of the note to harmonise with the chord. whatever instrument the player is attached to plays the note only. switching the noteset player to chord thru* mode ignores the note input entirely and just feeds the instrument the original chord
- Certified Reason expert

jam-s

06 Jul 2018

I would really like for this and chordset to support PolyCV as well.

Mmj85

07 Jul 2018

jam-s wrote:
06 Jul 2018
I second this idea, if PolyCV would be possible to be implemented in the RE ChordSet and PLYR NoteSet that would be superb!

I have been using these two little devices in conjunction with each other and have found them to be very useful together!

How i see these two devices is; the ChordSet and NoteSet devices are the RE AutoTheory's Chord and Melody sections split into two devices with the ability of more customization when connection multiple devices. Fun devices for those of us that are super nerd and love the back of the Rack :)

kraftf

18 Jul 2018

Have not tried it yet.
Since I am an old ableton live user returning to reason I can tell that this reminds me of swartzonator m4l device.
Yes it’s very useful since it can harmonize any note input to a chord progression. Note input can be your own playing or from an existing midi track or from a sequencer device such as matrix.
Pretty cool I would say. The price of both together I think not bad although 20 euros would be better.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Jul 2018

Ok...I get what chordset does and it actually is something I could use. Noteset though...I’ve read the descriptions but don’t understand. Can anyone explain for me what it actually does please. I can’t get my head around it. Thanks :)

Is it mostly for playing live...like if I play a chord and mess up a note then noteset corrects the bumnote? Just an example of what it could be used for in conjunction with pcvt or chordset might help me understand. Is it like Ochen cv tuner?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

RetouchControl
RE Developer

19 Jul 2018

MrFigg wrote:
19 Jul 2018
Ok...I get what chordset does and it actually is something I could use. Noteset though...I’ve read the descriptions but don’t understand. Can anyone explain for me what it actually does please. I can’t get my head around it. Thanks :)
Try downloading this Reason song file https://www.dropbox.com/s/rz4hd2xvkgbe2 ... eason?dl=0

In this example, ChordSet is playing a simple progression via the chord CV outputs to Europa. At the same time, the chord CV outputs are connected to the NoteSet player (flip the rack to see the connections).

Press play and you'll hear 1. the chord progression and 2. a simple chromatic pattern in Matrix triggering Subtractor. The notes from the Matrix are obviously not all in tune with the progression. Now stop the transport, switch on the NoteSet player, and press play again. The notes from Matrix are now corrected to match the notes in the chords coming from ChordSet.

This is a very basic example using Matrix, but the same is true if you were to play Subtractor from a midi keyboard or from a midi clip in the sequencer. Whatever you play is corrected to match the notes in the chords.
Hope this helps.

RetouchControl
RE Developer

19 Jul 2018

jam-s wrote:
06 Jul 2018
Interesting to hear what would be the potential uses for this. Thanks.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Jul 2018

RetouchControl wrote:
19 Jul 2018
MrFigg wrote:
19 Jul 2018
Try downloading this Reason song file https://www.dropbox.com/s/rz4hd2xvkgbe2 ... eason?dl=0

In this example, ChordSet is playing a simple progression via the chord CV outputs to Europa. At the same time, the chord CV outputs are connected to the NoteSet player (flip the rack to see the connections).

Press play and you'll hear 1. the chord progression and 2. a simple chromatic pattern in Matrix triggering Subtractor. The notes from the Matrix are obviously not all in tune with the progression. Now stop the transport, switch on the NoteSet player, and press play again. The notes from Matrix are now corrected to match the notes in the chords coming from ChordSet.

This is a very basic example using Matrix, but the same is true if you were to play Subtractor from a midi keyboard or from a midi clip in the sequencer. Whatever you play is corrected to match the notes in the chords.
Hope this helps.
Got it. Awesome. Thankyou :):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jimmyklane

19 Jul 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
05 Jul 2018
Started reading the description & instantly thought about Propellerhead's own Scales & Chords Player. Then I read this;

In contrast to the Scale & Chords player, NoteSet does not use a predefined musical scale, it’s always adapting to the chords being played. The same incoming notes are corrected or filtered to different notes with each new chord.

So it's like Scales & Chords but with this difference. So could be interesting to play around with. Especially for a non player like myself. 'We don't make mistakes, we just have happy accidents'.
The thing is, that with scales & chords the real magic happens when you automate the parameters and switches. THAT is when you start getting interesting harmonic progressions. I’m a pianist and can actually just PLAY all these chords, but I’ve been using S&C lately for inspiration and then building songs by hand around anset of chord progressions.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

• Information