DoubleComb Comb Filter [already in PropShop]

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
turn2on
RE Developer

04 Jul 2018

DoubleComb Comb Filter

Introducing a new Comb filter with positive/negative morphing in Rack Extension format.
Comb filters usually reshape waveforms, ending upwith a signal that resembles a comb shape.
Comb filters create copies of signal and work as a delay and filter at same time. Small delays between copies of the signal create phase offsets and the sum of them builds peaks. Filter Frequency sets the length between these peaks. Resonance sets the strength of resonant peaks at the cutoff frequency. As result, you have newly shaped waveform named as the Comb filter line.
Actual standards of Comb filters have selections of Positive and Negative modes. Positive and Negative modes have peaks at 0Hz. Classical Comb filters normally use selected positive or negative modes, but we allow morphing of these modes at the same time. The device includes two individual Comb filters with customizable settings which you can morph between.

DoubleComb rack extension is also interesting because it includes:

- Biggest range of frequencies (from 20Hz to 25kHz) in Reason devices and Rack Extensions;

- Exclusive double-side engine: Positive and Negative modes with morphing;

- Neutral sum mode of peaks (50% of Positive/Negative morphing)
With DoubleComb you can really do more then you can do with other classic Comb filters.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... mb-filter/

Loque

04 Jul 2018

Nice one. Good to have a positive and negative at once in one device.
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

04 Jul 2018

Looks like a nice and focused device! Glad to see the English product description is clear and fluent too.

wishMachine

05 Jul 2018

I love you guys (turn2on)! You keep coming up with the weird stuff that's actually useful!
:reason: 10 :record: :refill: :ignition: :re:

Despondo
Competition Winner

05 Jul 2018

EdGrip wrote:
04 Jul 2018
Glad to see the English product description is clear and fluent too.
Thanks...I helped them out on editing and grammar. :-)

Faastwalker

05 Jul 2018

ReasonExperts video. This thing sounds very cool to me. Very interesting & bonkers affect. I like it a lot;

Catblack

05 Jul 2018

I've been having a lot of fun running DoubleComb through stuff. It's like an effect I never knew I wanted until it existed. Stellar work, Turn2On!
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Electric-Metal

06 Jul 2018

Catblack wrote:
05 Jul 2018
I've been having a lot of fun running DoubleComb through stuff. It's like an effect I never knew I wanted until it existed. Stellar work, Turn2On!
+1
This device feeds all my Combfiltering needs which I didn't even know about.
:D
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

Marc64

06 Jul 2018

I have a hard time understanding comb filters. What is the actual practical use of it :?:

Ostermilk

06 Jul 2018

Marc64 wrote:
06 Jul 2018
I have a hard time understanding comb filters. What is the actual practical use of it :?:
For £8? To FSU, of course!

:puf_bigsmile:

antic604

06 Jul 2018

Ostermilk wrote:
06 Jul 2018
Marc64 wrote:
06 Jul 2018
For £8? To FSU, of course!

:puf_bigsmile:
That convinced me! Purchased :)

Loque

06 Jul 2018

Marc64 wrote:
06 Jul 2018
AFAIK they were created to filter specific things in broadcasting. I don't care, if it sounds interesting. Having positive and negative at the same time is good. I often use comb filter to make a sound whhoooomb or more metallic /percussion like.
Reason12, Win10

turn2on
RE Developer

06 Jul 2018

To understand comb filtering at start better to try it with classic stable waveforms (sine).
After you know character of how it work in range of freq/res, you know it can sound as:
- acoustic echo simulation
- freezed ""ttrrrr" repeats (basically Comb filter - is copies of signal with various delays).
- flanger
- some reverberation / room acoustics
- its classical live effect, using with drums recordings. Engineers work with it as with sum of multi-miking a drum kit (mics on various distance)
- effect use phase cancellation of sum for copies and also some time its can be used as filter or may be partly as phaser too
- doubling of signal to amp frequnecies
- haas effect
- jet aircraft effect
ect..

SoundOnSound:
A less severe form of comb filtering occurs when the outputs from two microphones set up at different distances from a sound source are combined — a situation familiar to anyone who has miked up a drum kit, for example. Because the more distant mic receives less level than the close mic, the depth of the filtering isn't as pronounced as in our flanger example, but it can still compromise the overall sound. That's why some engineers take great care to adjust the track delays in their DAWs to ensure that the waveforms from each drum mic align precisely. When layering drum or bass sounds, it's particularly important to ensure that the first waveform peak of each is aligned and that both peaks are positive or both negative. If they go in different directions, the low frequencies will be very obviously affected, resulting in a less punchy sound.
Comb filters can be changed slowly over time to produce the following digital audio effects - Phasing, Flanging, Chorus, Leslie. This fxs is a time modulation delays.
Flanger is near to comb filter but have another sound.

Comb is most intresting filter type, because it sound more complex and hybrid to incoming signal. Changes can be small and totally have big difference with main signal.
Two characters of Comb filters + and -. Using them in mix can be more interesting and practical when use morphing.
You know how sound phasers, flangers, but now you can know how sound the comb filter.

Freq changes work as filter, but Resonance working more as Delay Feedback for each copy of signal with own delay time - its one of easy scheme to understand, but naturally we can talk deeper and more complex. Combfilter can self-oscillate signal and produce pitch sound by changing the delay time.

MirrorEyEs

12 Jul 2018

Any chance you could include a lag feature like Synchronous. I find it helps when doing the old skool Jungle trick, of a bar long, triangle frequency sweep of a drum break.

Quite specific/niche I know :lol:
Reason 12 - Horrible plastic M-Audio Oxygen 49 and a battered pair of Sony MDR V6 cans

turn2on
RE Developer

12 Apr 2023

MirrorEyEs wrote:
12 Jul 2018
Any chance you could include a lag feature like Synchronous. I find it helps when doing the old skool Jungle trick, of a bar long, triangle frequency sweep of a drum break.

Quite specific/niche I know :lol:
Sorry, know.. too late. I skipped this post years ago and not answer to it..
This is why better write to us emails, that we cant skip.

Yes trick is known for Comb Filter.
And this is more territory for Filter Frequency Modulation, not just a CombFilter functional. Pulsar can more modulation possibilities, than 2U CombFilter compact device :thumbup:

- Just create Pulsar
- Set waveform "Sawtooth"
- Send CV to DblComb Frequency CV In
- Control LAG at the Pulsars LFO knob "LAG".
LAG Mod.png
LAG Mod.png (291.26 KiB) Viewed 789 times
Last edited by turn2on on 12 Apr 2023, edited 6 times in total.

turn2on
RE Developer

12 Apr 2023

DoubleComb / Update 1.1.0:

- New additional NOTE mode. Selects Notes (linked to frequency) for Positive & Negative peaks filters.
- Comb Filter Keytrack. In NOTE mode, filter receives incoming notes and change selected Note of the Negative & Positive peaks filters at the same time. Special display shows actual octave and note shifts, when filter recieves incoming notes.

https://reasonstudios.com/shop/rack-ext ... mb-filter/

_andreypetr_

12 Apr 2023

Genius in action, thanks!

challism

20 Apr 2023

Thanks for continuing to update your devices. Great product support!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

• Information