pre calculation Sample rate drum machine request..

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Re8et
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2018

I feel like the closest RE to the Opal is the Okeh bit synthesizer, or the Ed60 (also the Linndrum and Cz1), Sure it could be possible to trick the sound in post with any bitcrusher, but i feel the result would be quite different from the sound of this machine...

What do you think, wouldn't it be interesting emulation to have as a RE?

Wonder what the random button does...

here's more details
https://blog.bela.io/2018/03/27/opal-rh ... -dmx-krew/

Loque

01 Jul 2018

I expect lots of ppl rage about aliasing sound on such a drum machine ;)
Reason12, Win10

jimmyklane

01 Jul 2018

That aliasing and grunge is an absolutely essential part of my drum sound. Didn’t know about this machine, thanks for introducing me to it!
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

Re8et
Competition Winner

07 Jul 2018

I love that sounds like...

jimmyklane

07 Jul 2018

Re8et wrote:
07 Jul 2018
I love that sounds like...
Pick up an Akai S950 or Ensoniq EPS, or if you’ve got the money, an emu SP1200.....there is a VST called Morgana that is an Ensoniq Mirage copy, but I think it’s a touch extreme for drums in many cases.

It’s got to be done on a PER VOICE level however, with the only exceptions being drum machines where you have individual outputs that you could tack on something like Decimort to each individual sound. If it’s on a mixed output it won’t sound the same at all.

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

Re8et
Competition Winner

08 Jul 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
07 Jul 2018

Pick up an Akai S950 or Ensoniq EPS, or if you’ve got the money, an emu SP1200.....there is a VST called Morgana that is an Ensoniq Mirage copy, but I think it’s a touch extreme for drums in many cases.

It’s got to be done on a PER VOICE level however, with the only exceptions being drum machines where you have individual outputs that you could tack on something like Decimort to each individual sound. If it’s on a mixed output it won’t sound the same at all.
I have sold my Ensoniq EPS last summer, all my floopies were failing, included the one with the OS...
I knew it had to be serviced but I had no wish to invest more money into it... also I had just got Reason 9
and I really need a good Keyboard-controller not sucking 400W from my wall :?
I am building a drum-machine on my own, it has been in the work by some time now, it's based on
a Casio SK-1, it can save just one sample at a time, it's not really multivoice, but here I got...
If I'm in need to torque some sound it's my weapon of choice!

MarkTarlton

08 Jul 2018

Re8et wrote:
08 Jul 2018
you are one of the first persons I have seen discuss power, and honestly I was happy to see someone else that understood power consumption, and we won't even go into clean power.... I was working at the record plant in sausalto, ca years ago, and the lead tech mentioned to me how misunderstood electricity is in the united states, by most all the studios he worked at here(he was from the bbc and knew his shit). at the time I didn't think much of it, but after years of working in studios, including building a few of my own, I learned that knowing every piece of gears wattage consumption from the lights, fans, heaters(they suck the juice!) and of course music gear is mandatory/required information. if you don't know than you are taking a chance at hurting your gear and risking danger.

a simple equation I use is for every 100 watts it's equal to about 1 amp. If I am in a house that has a 20 amp circuit, I try and max out at 16 amps per circuit, so I leave 20% leeway. it's been a challenge for most of my audio life :)

jimmyklane

08 Jul 2018

MarkTarlton wrote:
08 Jul 2018
Re8et wrote:
08 Jul 2018
you are one of the first persons I have seen discuss power, and honestly I was happy to see someone else that understood power consumption, and we won't even go into clean power.... I was working at the record plant in sausalto, ca years ago, and the lead tech mentioned to me how misunderstood electricity is in the united states, by most all the studios he worked at here(he was from the bbc and knew his shit). at the time I didn't think much of it, but after years of working in studios, including building a few of my own, I learned that knowing every piece of gears wattage consumption from the lights, fans, heaters(they suck the juice!) and of course music gear is mandatory/required information. if you don't know than you are taking a chance at hurting your gear and risking danger.

a simple equation I use is for every 100 watts it's equal to about 1 amp. If I am in a house that has a 20 amp circuit, I try and max out at 16 amps per circuit, so I leave 20% leeway. it's been a challenge for most of my audio life :)
I am fortunate to have a lot of gear left over from my studio. I’ve got 3 Furman 1800 power conditioners that help to regulate voltage and smooth out surges and brownouts. They have saved my gear multiple times. Even the cheap thyristor-based surge boxes should be mandatory for anyone with ANY outboard.

My EPS can cook an egg on the heat sink. I’ve rebuilt the power supply because the original was drawing more current than it should and causing odd sampling issues. As it stands, it still draws a steady 64 watts of power using 5.4 Amps with very steady 120V. I’m positive that without my power conditioners I’d have a lot more problems than I do already with a room full of synths and rack gear.

Regarding the keyboard controller, I love the polyphonic aftertouch of the Ensoniq. The keybed is also quite nice. If Reason supported PolyAT (like every single other freaking DAW!) I’d be really really pleased. As it stands I can still generate channel AT from it if I wish. The only downside is that when controlling outside MIDI it doesn’t seem to interpolate the 128 levels of 7-bit MIDI, and the supposedly 14-bit pitchbend steps in semitones if I move it too slowly!!! That’s what I get for using a 30 y/o sampler as my main keyboard though.

• Information