Why is there no guitar FX pedalboard style RE?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
sublunar

27 Jun 2018

Am I the only one that often wants a guitar effect pedalboard in reason? Give me a phaser, delay, overdrive, etc. Most of the time when I slap an effect on a track, I'm hoping for it to be like the guitar effect version and most of the time the effect just isn't close enough to satisfy. Maybe it's because I'm primarily a guitarist that I prefer the stompbox implementations?

Surely this would be an easy slam dunk for one of the established devs to knock out.

Apparently Waves makes something like this already called GTR Stomp. But I'm still baffled why this never existed before VSTs were a thing in Reason. The rack effects just aren't the same -and that goes for both physical rack effects and the Reason version.

I would rather pay an RE dev for an RE than someone like Waves for their VST.

To be honest, I was actually really excited about VSTs in reason but ever since going through the process I've decided that I genuinely dislike the VST experience and as a result I've ditched em all, except for my drum VST. Reason's RE's are too good and too easy to buy/install to waste time with VSTs.

esselfortium

27 Jun 2018

Have you tried Kuassa's Efektor series?
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

EdGrip

27 Jun 2018

Kuassa get it right, particularly their fuzz and distortion pedals.

Loque

27 Jun 2018

Yea, if you want guitar stuff, Kuassa is the first answer. They also have some refills with combinations of the fx to mimic specific guitar sounds.
Reason12, Win10

motuscott

27 Jun 2018

OD and DST pedals in parallel through Vermillion with a touch of Tsar Vintage Digital Snare (Slightly tweaked, secret family formula) gets me there, but what do I know?

Nothin’, and less everyday
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Boombastix
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2018

Synapse Phaser 90 is a stomp-box model if I remember correctly.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

eusti

27 Jun 2018

There is actually a pedal board FX out there. I remember when a bunch of us here were trying to help to shape it...
p1ag3e21js1c4819r7o6nbr1juma.png.10000x10000_q85.png
p1ag3e21js1c4819r7o6nbr1juma.png.10000x10000_q85.png (314.31 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... dal-board/

From the product page:

"The Natural Selection:Pedal Board is a comprehensive modular board of effects. With 6 slots with 8 effects each, the NS:Pedal-Board will be the natural choice for any source.
Product details

The Natural Selection:Pedal Board is a comprehensive semi-modular multi-effect stomp box.

Boasting 6 slots, with 8 FX types each, the NSPB comes packed with tone sculpting tools.

Featuring a modular signal path, the NSPB comes equipped with drag-and-drop signal flow. Clicking and dragging the module on the far right display will instantly rearrange the module signal path.

From compression to distortion, the NSPB has every tool you need to evolve your sound.
FX Modules:

Compressor
Distortion
Overdrive
Wah-Wah
Lowpass
3-Band EQ
Delay
Chorus"

Unfortunately I seem not able to locate the old thread about it... :(

D.

turn2on
RE Developer

27 Jun 2018

If this pedalboard include selectable slots for types of fx, main problem to add CV,
So one fx can include 3 knobs, another -6.
It possible to use max CV 1-10 as example per slot.

When I have idea to create pedalboard fx, and start work on it I create Cronus.
But stop with 3 time mod fx and anw without slots.

I create many years ago thread about new standard rack device - pedalboard for RE and re with pedal sizes for it.
But today we have only long 1-10U devices in rack.
It possible but really it’s question of visualization.
But it possible and second question in it - quality of fx and enough space for controls.

I dream about rack Reason native pedalboard with built in routings for new pedal fx style size devices,
as also I think time to create with euro modular size devices in rack with also own rack stock device in Reason.

It’s 2 main features for Reason updates for me.
If pedalboard - that support insert any fx you need from another devs!

Ahornberg

27 Jun 2018

Take a look at NI GuitarRig ... looks like the Reason Rack ... the Reason Rack itself IS the pedalboard :thumbs_up:

MannequinRaces

28 Jun 2018

As a guitar player (mostly electric) I have zero interest in pedalboard guitar REs. The Kuassa stuff is good but nothing beats hardware pedals and a nice amp breaking up. I know that's not realistic for some people (live in an apartment and no other way to record, etc.) but for me I'll always love the real tangible stuff that I can feel and that isn't ones and zeros in a computer.

Ahornberg

28 Jun 2018

I think the OP wants something that looks like this

Reason has all that stuff, some built in, some as REs, they only look different.

Dabbler

28 Jun 2018

are any of these controllable from a real piece of hardware on the floor?

Ahornberg

28 Jun 2018

Dabbler wrote:
28 Jun 2018
are any of these controllable from a real piece of hardware on the floor?
All the controllers listed here https://www.sweetwater.com/c513--Foot__ ... ontrollers should do the job.

Marco Raaphorst

28 Jun 2018

The Kuassa stuff is great. Have't tried their Modulatio RE but Overdrive, Distortion and Fuzz are great.

sublunar

28 Jun 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
28 Jun 2018
As a guitar player (mostly electric) I have zero interest in pedalboard guitar REs. The Kuassa stuff is good but nothing beats hardware pedals and a nice amp breaking up. I know that's not realistic for some people (live in an apartment and no other way to record, etc.) but for me I'll always love the real tangible stuff that I can feel and that isn't ones and zeros in a computer.
I completely agree with what you're saying and that's actually sorta where I'm coming from. When I want to effect something tangible, I throw my pedalboard at it. I start connecting stompboxes. This is usually in the experimentation/writing phase and not so much the recording phase.

I find myself wanting to do this in Reason all the time. I want to throw virtual stompboxes at instruments/recordings in the rack! There's lots of good effects in RE format, but none of the ones I've used have a close feel/flavor of the universally accepted stompbox version. I find myself trying to make the available effects feel like a stompbox and just not really digging the results.

The natural selection pedalboard, which I somehow missed previously, looks to me like a half-finished attempt. The shop page for it doesn't inspire confidence as it doesn't look like they put much effort into showcasing it. Maybe I'm judging a book by its cover but...

The Kuassa stuff is pretty close to what I'm going for. The prices feel a little steep, though. If they offered a discounted bundle I'd probably settle with that. But due to the cost of multiple rack versions of the same effects I own physical versions of it's too tempting to just commit the effect to the recording at the time. It's just that sometimes I'd like to have the riff recorded mostly clean and play around with effects in post. But I also want to throw stompboxes at the virtual instruments inside of Reason, too.

So I guess if i wasn't such a cheapskate the Kuassa stuff would probably be a sufficient approximation.

sublunar

28 Jun 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
28 Jun 2018
I think the OP wants something that looks like this

Reason has all that stuff, some built in, some as REs, they only look different.
Basically yeah, the bottom half of the image anyway. But most of the stuff doesn't sound/feel/behave (IMO) like the stompbox version.

But again, it looks like Kuassa does actually handle this pretty well. I guess my problem with them has always just been my own cheapskate-ness.

jimmyklane

28 Jun 2018

sublunar wrote:
28 Jun 2018
MannequinRaces wrote:
28 Jun 2018
I completely agree with what you're saying and that's actually sorta where I'm coming from. When I want to effect something tangible, I throw my pedalboard at it. I start connecting stompboxes. This is usually in the experimentation/writing phase and not so much the recording phase.

I find myself wanting to do this in Reason all the time. I want to throw virtual stompboxes at instruments/recordings in the rack! There's lots of good effects in RE format, but none of the ones I've used have a close feel/flavor of the universally accepted stompbox version. I find myself trying to make the available effects feel like a stompbox and just not really digging the results.

The natural selection pedalboard, which I somehow missed previously, looks to me like a half-finished attempt. The shop page for it doesn't inspire confidence as it doesn't look like they put much effort into showcasing it. Maybe I'm judging a book by its cover but...

The Kuassa stuff is pretty close to what I'm going for. The prices feel a little steep, though. If they offered a discounted bundle I'd probably settle with that. But due to the cost of multiple rack versions of the same effects I own physical versions of it's too tempting to just commit the effect to the recording at the time. It's just that sometimes I'd like to have the riff recorded mostly clean and play around with effects in post. But I also want to throw stompboxes at the virtual instruments inside of Reason, too.

So I guess if i wasn't such a cheapskate the Kuassa stuff would probably be a sufficient approximation.
Have you tried reamping your tracks out to your pedals and/or amp? I do this ALL the time, as I’ve got several Strymon, Eventide, Meris and other pedals that really add something different from my rack effects.

In general, I still think hardware excelled at some things.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

normen

28 Jun 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
27 Jun 2018
Take a look at NI GuitarRig ... looks like the Reason Rack ... the Reason Rack itself IS the pedalboard :thumbs_up:
This.

Marco Raaphorst

28 Jun 2018

normen wrote:
28 Jun 2018
Ahornberg wrote:
27 Jun 2018
This.
That.

MannequinRaces

28 Jun 2018

sublunar wrote:
28 Jun 2018
More than likely all of their stuff will be on sale the next big sale or maybe even a special deal of the week in the future. If you're patient deals can be had. I know it is nice to be able to record clean and use different effects anytime you want but committing a sound to 'tape' can also be a good thing in getting a song / idea down quickly and not having to much about with it later (except for the basics like level, pan, compression, reverb, etc.).

Loque

29 Jun 2018

This design reminds me on pedal boards:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... nthesizer/

There are also a few RE fx devices modeled for this and there are some hidden beauties with some guitar freak gimmicks like Revival Drawbar Synth.
Reason12, Win10

• Information