Step sequencer with probabilistic movement/step direction.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
tarmoog

25 Jun 2018

Is there a rack extension or other ways to accomplish this kind of probabilistic step sequencer?

Explanation here:

Normal sequencer step (like inside Thor) moves from step 1 to next one and so on 2,3,4,5.... on every received clock pulse (might have option for reverse, pendulum..)
What I am looking for is to set probabilities to decide movement direction or jump to another step on every received clock pulse.

Like step 1 could have 33% probability to move to step 2, 33% to jump step 3 and 34% to jump to step X (or even have a chance stay on same step without jumping anywhere) on received clock pulse. User should have control over probability and jump destination. 8 step sequencer would be just fine.

Why this would be useful? I give couple examples (heavily into generative music)
Example 1: Drum sequencer has 8 patterns and you can control these with cv inside combinator, you could send gate pulse from drum sequencer to probabilistic sequencer everytime pattern finish playing and probabilities would decide to next pattern to play.

Example 2: You could program automatic chord harmony paths with Scales and Chords player. Just decide what chords sounds best after another and probabilistic sequencer would take care of rest.

buddard
RE Developer

25 Jun 2018

tarmoog wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Is there a rack extension or other ways to accomplish this kind of probabilistic step sequencer?

Explanation here:

Normal sequencer step (like inside Thor) moves from step 1 to next one and so on 2,3,4,5.... on every received clock pulse (might have option for reverse, pendulum..)
What I am looking for is to set probabilities to decide movement direction or jump to another step on every received clock pulse.

Like step 1 could have 33% probability to move to step 2, 33% to jump step 3 and 34% to jump to step X (or even have a chance stay on same step without jumping anywhere) on received clock pulse. User should have control over probability and jump destination. 8 step sequencer would be just fine.

Why this would be useful? I give couple examples (heavily into generative music)
Example 1: Drum sequencer has 8 patterns and you can control these with cv inside combinator, you could send gate pulse from drum sequencer to probabilistic sequencer everytime pattern finish playing and probabilities would decide to next pattern to play.

Example 2: You could program automatic chord harmony paths with Scales and Chords player. Just decide what chords sounds best after another and probabilistic sequencer would take care of rest.
Our Step Note Recorder works like this in the Brownian mode: There's a 50% chance that the playhead goes to the right, a 25% chance that it goes to the left, and a 25% chance that it stays on the current step.

I think that most/all of the Lectric Panda sequencers also have something similar, but they call it Walk instead.

tarmoog

25 Jun 2018

Almost but not exactly what I am looking for. Would be better if there was also possibility to make a jump to another step than neighbour steps.

Closest result I got was with 8 different thor step sequencers in random step mode and make amount of note values and amount steps to control "roughly" probabilities of current step.

Then glue them all together with Robotic Bean Select CV Switch and split note output cv into CV of destination and CV in of Select CV Switch. :) And thanks for making this nice CV tool free.

buddard
RE Developer

25 Jun 2018

Step also has a Position CV input, that advances 32 steps per "volt", i e 0.03125 V per step (with wrap-around if you're using fewer than 32 steps). So if you have an external random generator you can randomize the playhead position more freely using that.

selig
RE Developer

25 Jun 2018

tarmoog wrote:Is there a rack extension or other ways to accomplish this kind of probabilistic step sequencer?

Explanation here:

As much as I like Thor, I don’t think this is something that Thor (or any other Reason device) can address. I can definitely appreciate how something like this could be really useful for generative music!

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

electrofux

26 Jun 2018

However you can use a thor for each step and decide which one to trigger. Each gate on a Super Thor Sequencer gambles (randomre needed) the next position. Possibly by selecting one of the 8 slots in SelectCVRE.
Those type of sequencers come with alot of side problems like resetting etc. but i think it is doable. Thor or StepNoterecorder plus a ton of other modules especially ModSelsor from Hamu. A hard to understand device but pretty ingenius in its functionality for Sequencers. And you need a ModPanel to bring it all together on singe surface otherwise it becomes a mess.

Edit: It is quite coplicated though on further thougt. On each step you need to add or deduct a number of steps to the current Position to determine the next position. So the Position value lets say from StepNote Recorder has to be added to another value (-7 to 0 to 7) which could be done whitch a couple of Maths Modules. I recently used them and it was hard to get my head around the CV ranges (0-1) and the numbers i wanted to add and deduct, actually i wanted to multiply and that was the reason of confusion. You might just be able to add the values via Thor- not sure though.
But the problem i see is the selection of the "jump" value via probability. I mean there is RandomRe but this just generates a number/gate but in this case the probabilities of the different jump values need to add up to 100% right? I am not sure how one can set that up in the cv environment.

The only thing is see is setting up a mod selsor and feed its inputs with a number of values like 2 times +1 and 1 time -1 and 1 time +2 and then you generate a random number wich selects a slot. So in the end you have a 50% chance of going forward one step and 25% chance of going back one step and 25% chance to go forward two steps. There are i think 24 Slots on the Mod Selsor which is the limiting factor and usability of course.

• Information