LaunchBox FX Processor

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Loque

26 Jun 2018

EnochLight wrote:
26 Jun 2018
antic604 wrote:
26 Jun 2018
My biggest "disappointment" was you can't drag the modules around to reorder them, but that's obvious once you realise it's just an RE limited by current SDK.
Serious question: are effect device re-ordering not allowed under the current RE SDK? It can be done in plenty of current RE's... :o
I am not sure if dragging panels is allowed. The most RE that support some kind of routing, just "drag" the text within a control imo. But maybe the devs just did not figgured out yet how to move/drag panels, like it is done in Europa for the FX.
Reason12, Win10

antic604

26 Jun 2018

EnochLight wrote:
26 Jun 2018
antic604 wrote:
26 Jun 2018
My biggest "disappointment" was you can't drag the modules around to reorder them, but that's obvious once you realise it's just an RE limited by current SDK.
Serious question: are effect device re-ordering not allowed under the current RE SDK? It can be done in plenty of current RE's... :o
You can re-order them by selecting modules from pop-up menu. But you can't by simply dragging one on top of another, so that the 2nd device moves to the right and makes spece for the 1st to jump in its place :)

Like this:

selig
RE Developer

26 Jun 2018

antic604 wrote:I think you're taking it too far guys - it was (I think) meant to be a "simple" channel strip device, like Scheps Channel and Neutron, where signal goes left to right and that's it. If you now want to route different signals to / from different modules and send control voltages to parameters, then wouldn't it be much easier to just have the modules as a separate slim REs (like kHs effects), that you could stack & connect the way you want? If there were 4 sockets per module on the back, then they'd already have to be taken by stereo in/out pairs going in and out of each module, so that would have to be extended to 6 or 8 total, which would get very messy.

Instead, maybe a separate 4-8 CV global inputs could be added and in the empty space on the right hand of the rack a mod-matrix would let you choose which CV controls which parameter? This way you could actually change the order of the devices, but still maintain the connections?
Sorry, but it can’t work that way (the “change the order” part). There are five modules for each slot (and you chose one), not five devices and five slots total. Check out the way the Combinator Programmer accesses each module and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

You could assign a CV to a device in a slot, but it wouldn’t automatically translate to a module in another slot unless you re-assigned it manually to that other module/slot.

The idea of a CV matrix would make sense, but you would be “hard wiring” to the specific module in the specific slot. Still, not a bad solution IMO!

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

26 Jun 2018

EnochLight wrote:
antic604 wrote:
26 Jun 2018
The REs that do this use a Custom Display (thinking Grain/Europa) to do the “drag to new order”. The controls for the FX themselves don’t move, and you only "see" one FX at a time with that approach.

Selig Audio, LLC

antic604

26 Jun 2018

Loque wrote:
26 Jun 2018
It would be simpler, yes. But i guess most ppl here (including me) like the idea of different rack devices and connections or creating more modular approaches within one device...
Sure, that's where Props should come in and add vertical rack slots for devices like those 500 or Eurorack modules, that we could easily connect to each other or other devices. We already have half-rack devices, why not 1/6th rack devices? :)

This RE - no matter how great on its own! - just "fakes" the concept. For example, if I wanted to use its EQ on bass and Compressor on drum buss, I'd simply put two instances with just the required modules on either channel, rather than route cables through single instance's break out audio sockets to get that result. But sure, if Red Rock is willing to add them, then great! I'm only saying (I think) it wasn't the plan for this device.

antic604

26 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
26 Jun 2018
Sorry, but it can’t work that way (the “change the order” part).
That's exactly my point! :)

selig
RE Developer

26 Jun 2018

antic604 wrote:
26 Jun 2018
Loque wrote:
26 Jun 2018
It would be simpler, yes. But i guess most ppl here (including me) like the idea of different rack devices and connections or creating more modular approaches within one device...
Sure, that's where Props should come in and add vertical rack slots for devices like those 500 or Eurorack modules, that we could easily connect to each other or other devices. We already have half-rack devices, why not 1/6th rack devices? :)

This RE - no matter how great on its own! - just "fakes" the concept. For example, if I wanted to use its EQ on bass and Compressor on drum buss, I'd simply put two instances with just the required modules on either channel, rather than route cables through single instance's break out audio sockets to get that result. But sure, if Red Rock is willing to add them, then great! I'm only saying (I think) it wasn't the plan for this device.
Well, it "fakes" the concept by using a new feature of the SDK which has not widely been adopted and has been much requested: swapping panels. So it's "faking" only as much as Thor is "faking".

What would be required to be added to the SDK is a whole new format as you describe, which would allow resetting individual modules to their defaults, dragging/dropping modules, dragging to new orders like you can already do in the Rack, and adding individual modules from the store to your mini-rack.

I would actually prefer a more open format as I've suggested for YEARS now, that has up two rows of modules, a mod matrix for audio AND CV, Global assignable controls like Thor (but more) and a foldable rack/matrix. Basically Thor as a modular rack system, able to build FX chains, Synths, or channel strips.

Like this (From 2011):
Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 10.30.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 10.30.31 AM.png (563.58 KiB) Viewed 2111 times
Selig Audio, LLC

antic604

26 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
26 Jun 2018
Now that would be something! :o

seqoi

26 Jun 2018

I am gobsmacked by this incredible set of tools.

Amazing!!

aeox
Competition Winner

26 Jun 2018

Tested it out on a trial account.

I'd love to have that preamp(s) as a single module :P

danc

26 Jun 2018

The overall emphasis in this thread is focused on the LOOK and FEEL of this RE - and like everyone else I congratulate Red Rock Sound for pushing the envelope graphically.

However.. I don't buy FX to look at them. Well - some people might, but if it sounds dire, then it doesn't matter how good looking it is. It's not a beauty contest.... it's a sound contest first and foremost. We are actually making music here!

So - How does it sound for people? Does it actually give you something that you can't do elsewhere? I have HUNDREDS of really good EQ, compressors, de-essers etc. Some look terrible - but if they give me the sound I'm after, then I use them.

WHY BUY THIS ONE? Other than a new and fresh GUI?
Check my Soundcloud:

mind2069

26 Jun 2018

Personally I don't like this kind of layout, I would prefer the single 1 space ( like the Mclass limiter) format for each device.

Lets say you what to use only one, it look awful and takes to much space.

But congrats anyway on this release and for pushing the RE UI limits

wendylou

26 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
26 Jun 2018
I would actually prefer a more open format as I've suggested for YEARS now, that has up two rows of modules, a mod matrix for audio AND CV, Global assignable controls like Thor (but more) and a foldable rack/matrix. Basically Thor as a modular rack system, able to build FX chains, Synths, or channel strips.

Like this (From 2011):
I missed seeing this in 2011. Nice :puf_smile:
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

seqoi

27 Jun 2018

After some more testing i noticed some filtering issues like some comb filtering with some of the FXs. Very noticeable if you stack two of them.

Also on desser when i am moving Frequency i am noticing zippering noise. Not showstopper but weird.

Parametric EQ just by inserting even when all knobs are Off or 0 - is cutting way too much of low end. Try it on kick. Just insert Parametric EQ and low end is gone. How come beta did not noticed this? It removed everything up to 100hz.

I need to test more and will post findings.

Red Rock

27 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
25 Jun 2018
I'm not hearing much difference between Peak and RMS in the 543 comp. This is typically an obvious control change in other compressors, such as the SSL channel comp. Is something else going on here?
Yes, there is a bug. Will be fixed in the update.
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Parametric EQ with everything in middle position is lacking low end. Feels like a bug.
seqoi wrote:
27 Jun 2018

Parametric EQ just by inserting even when all knobs are Off or 0 - is cutting way too much of low end. Try it on kick. Just insert Parametric EQ and low end is gone. How come beta did not noticed this? It removed everything up to 100hz.
selig wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Parametric EQ with everything in middle position is lacking low end. Feels like a bug.
Good catch, probably not intended (could be because this version doesn't have a "sub" band EQ?):
Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 1.44.37 PM.png

UPDATE - top end drop off comes from the graphic EQs inline with the default settings. Here's just the parametric EQ default settings:
(note that the bypassed level should be -30 dBFS)
Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 1.46.14 PM.png
Yes, a small typo in the code. Will be fixed in the update
P.S. Selig, tell me how do you shoot the frequency response from RE? If this is not secret :)

Red Rock

27 Jun 2018

seqoi wrote:
27 Jun 2018

Sorry, the problem is not quite clear, can you tell us in more detail?

P.S. I appeal to the users of Reason and not only.
Our supportmail is empty.
It is very difficult for us to help you promptly,
searching messages on forums, facebook, etc.
Please report errors to the mail. This will greatly speed up the work.
Thanks.

Red Rock

27 Jun 2018

future-bit wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Downloaded, but it does not work in Reason 9.5. Only in Reason 10 Lite.
it is built on SDK 3, in the store you will be offered an upgrade to Reason 10 before buying.

You have Reason 10 Lite, so you could buy it.

eusti

27 Jun 2018

Red Rock wrote:
27 Jun 2018

Thanks.
Here's the address: support@redrocksound.ru

D.

Red Rock

27 Jun 2018

eusti wrote:
27 Jun 2018
Red Rock wrote:
27 Jun 2018

Thanks.
Here's the address: support@redrocksound.ru

D.
;) :thumbs_up:

selig
RE Developer

27 Jun 2018

Red Rock wrote:
selig wrote:
25 Jun 2018
I'm not hearing much difference between Peak and RMS in the 543 comp. This is typically an obvious control change in other compressors, such as the SSL channel comp. Is something else going on here?
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
25 Jun 2018
seqoi wrote:
27 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Good catch, probably not intended (could be because this version doesn't have a "sub" band EQ?):
Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 1.44.37 PM.png

UPDATE - top end drop off comes from the graphic EQs inline with the default settings. Here's just the parametric EQ default settings:
(note that the bypassed level should be -30 dBFS)
Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 1.46.14 PM.png
P.S. Selig, tell me how do you shoot the frequency response from RE? If this is not secret :)
No secret at all, always happy to share - I use FuzzMeasure, which is Mac only. I’m sure there are other options, the key IMO is finding one that uses the swept sine method.
:)

Selig Audio, LLC

scratchnsnifff

27 Jun 2018

rcbuse wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Can anyone report on how this handles automation ? Are there limitations on device numbers or placement ?
I may be late on this, but I assume it handles automation just like Thor or grain. The software sees the module and you are automating module 1 parameter.

Similar to grains oscillator/sample engine

It seems like Reason just recognizes a given set of parameters for each section.

Makes me wonder if there is the same amount of knobs/faders in each module
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

seqoi

27 Jun 2018

Red Rock wrote:
27 Jun 2018
seqoi wrote:
27 Jun 2018

Thanks.
There's no more details to it then what i said. Read again. Parametric EQ just by inserting even when all knobs are set to Off or 0db - is cutting way too much of low end. Try it on kick. - if you try it you will hear.

Add 808 kick to Redrum and then load Parametric EQ. I am speaking about this one (PARAMETRIC EQ module based on classic from the ’80s, four-band Parametric Equalizer with ROCK BAND (shelf boost from 2.5 to 40kHz). Following its predecessors, the Parametric EQ provides unparalleled transparency and top end presence while maintaining the true natural sound behind the mix.)

It will cut low end. Even if everything is at initial position it simply cut ow low end like there is some hidden hipass filter.

But i see you later confirmed this is some sort of bug? Right?

I was not aware you have support email sorry. I will write to your email.

Keep up the good work! I love your products!!

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
27 Jun 2018
Red Rock wrote:

No secret at all, always happy to share - I use FuzzMeasure, which is Mac only. I’m sure there are other options, the key IMO is finding one that uses the swept sine method.

I looked a while back and there isn't really anything like Fuzz Measure for Windows OS :(

Red Rock

27 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
27 Jun 2018
Red Rock wrote:

Thanks! I will try it

Red Rock

27 Jun 2018

seqoi wrote:
27 Jun 2018
Red Rock wrote:
27 Jun 2018

Thanks.
There's no more details to it then what i said. Read again. Parametric EQ just by inserting even when all knobs are set to Off or 0db - is cutting way too much of low end. Try it on kick. - if you try it you will hear.

Add 808 kick to Redrum and then load Parametric EQ. I am speaking about this one (PARAMETRIC EQ module based on classic from the ’80s, four-band Parametric Equalizer with ROCK BAND (shelf boost from 2.5 to 40kHz). Following its predecessors, the Parametric EQ provides unparalleled transparency and top end presence while maintaining the true natural sound behind the mix.)

It will cut low end. Even if everything is at initial position it simply cut ow low end like there is some hidden hipass filter.

But i see you later confirmed this is some sort of bug? Right?

I was not aware you have support email sorry. I will write to your email.

Keep up the good work! I love your products!!
I confused questions. I meant this:
"After some more testing i noticed some filtering issues like some comb filtering with some of the FXs. Very noticeable if you stack two of them."

• Information