LaunchBox FX Processor

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MannequinRaces

25 Jun 2018

This is very cool to see! I hope the Props work on the SDK to allow this type of thing to be more realistic (vertical individual devices that can be reordered, etc.). Given the limitations though this RE looks fantastic!

future-bit

25 Jun 2018

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

tibah

25 Jun 2018

Great concept and, at least from the looks of it, implementation. Now if you get the API 2500 in I'm all sold! :D Maybe also reverb and delays for the future. All the best with this release!

QVprod

25 Jun 2018

antic604 wrote:
25 Jun 2018
QVprod wrote:
25 Jun 2018
This is impressive! Never expected to see this. Game changer, especially if separate audio outs can be set in the future for parallel use.
Don't get your hope up - it's not a real modular system, it's an RE with exchangeable panels, sort of like Thor is. So you won't be able to purchase single modules, you can't drag the modules around, there will be no oscillators or LFOs, no 3rd party stuff, no inter-modular routing, no adding of 2nd or 3rd row, etc. If you're using VSTs it's an idea similar to Scheps Channel or Neutron, but in a RE format and disguised to look like modular rack :)

BTW I'm not saying this to criticise the dev here, because the idea and execution is post on! It's just that in order to get proper functionality, Props would need to add support for Eurorack (or 500) modules to the SDK
You seem to have a misunderstanding of what this device is representative of. It's not supposed to be a modular eurorack or a synth. It's an emulation of a 500 series Lunchbox

These are specifically built for audio processing (EQs, Compressors, Preamps..etc) and not LFOs, oscillators or any other synth based devices. It's a mixing/recording tool. I only mentioned separate audio outputs for individual modules (unnecessary but still cool) which is how most 500 series racks work. As plenty of fx RE have separate outputs, I don't see that being impossible for this RE. The way this RE currently works though is more similar to Slate VMR, Which again is still cool.

Exowildebeest

25 Jun 2018

future-bit wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Downloaded, but it does not work in Reason 9.5. Only in Reason 10 Lite.
That should be noted on the Shop page imo. Currently it's left to the developers to do that, but it would be better if Propellerheads did this, in a uniform way.

Also another little thing: the shop images for this RE are overcompressed low-res JPEGs. Doesn't do the device justice!

aeox
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2018

Red Rock wrote:
25 Jun 2018
selig wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Hey Red Rock, this looks really cool!
Thank you:)
selig wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Any chance to add separate audio in/out for more flexibility? This would allow using the rack more like a real 500 series rack, or building parallel/serial routing of certain modules (parallel compression with serial de-essing, for example). PLUS, side chain inputs for the compressors?

There were such thoughts, but we refused this at the development stage. But maybe we'll come back to this later and add it to the update.

selig wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Been wanting something like this for some time - can’t wait to see what other modules you come up with.
So far we have not thought about what will be next :) There are several ideas.

selig wrote:
25 Jun 2018
And to echo others, why not create a dual module version in a single space format (like the hardware options from Empirical Labs and others), which could be based on individual modules for a lower price? This would allow folks to get only the modules they want!
Yes, we will release some modules separately.
By the way, we already have one :)
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... equalizer/
I own that single EQ and it cost just as much as the whole Launch Box :D (sale though obviously)

aeox
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2018

I'm going to have to check this out when I get R11 next year. Looking forward to it!
Last edited by aeox on 26 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

25 Jun 2018

Loving having the API graphic EQ for guitars - instant guitar sounds, just pick a band and boost a little on one guitar, pick another for another guitar, and you can get great separation between tracks (also good for synths), just like with the real deal!

What about an API 550a and/or 550b EQ?

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

jam-s

25 Jun 2018

antic604 wrote:
25 Jun 2018
I don't think people are interested in how it compares to VSTs (sorry if it's just me :)), but rather in how you achieved that Eurorack modularity - can you easily drag & drop the modules around? How do you add the modules? How (if at all) can we adjust the routing between modules? Is this only the beginning and will there be more, with sound generators, envelopes, LFOs, filters?

I'm assuming - since we've heard nothing about API changes - this just "fakes" the Eurorack, by simply displaying different bitmaps (probably generated on the fly) depending on the setup.

Wish Props really supported such rack formats and allowed devs to provide such vertical modules that we could mix & match to create real modular setups!
Yes, it certainly looks like an Eurorack style rack, but it's more like a single multi-fx rack extension with exchangeable panels (just like Thor or Kong). Thus, I suppose, only red rock will be able to add new "modules" to this RE/Rack (from a business POV most likely as paid upgrades).

strangers
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2018

I'm still on 9.5 but I'm glad to see something like this finally hit the RE market. I'm still a nerd for chaining together my own racks or even fully taking advantage of the SSL. There's also plenty of times I reach for things like Neutron 2 or Omni Channel out of sheer convenience to have my go-to tools in one place without having to flip between them. A solid channel strip can save a lot of time. Going to have to check this out whenever I have a good reason to upgrade to a newer version.

jimmyklane

25 Jun 2018

antic604 wrote:
25 Jun 2018
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... processor/

Red Rock Sound presents a new form-factor for the Rack Extensions - rack in the rack. A complete solution for any audio signal type, whether it be drums, vocals or a synthesizer.... The Launchbox is imitation of the legendary 500-series format. All supported modules can be placed in a random order in a single compact box.

At the moment the Launchbox supports 6 modules (2 compressors, 2 equalizers, De-esser and Colorizer), but this is not the limit, the product line will be countinuosly updated.
:o
Now THIS excites me! If the modules sound great then this is an instant buy for me. My little 8-Slot 500 Rack is one of the more inspiring pieces of gear that I own inasmuch as I use it unconventionally...putting modules in the “wrong” order, patching feedback paths, etc. the Eventide DDL-500 is why I got into it in the first place. For me it’s one of the more epic pieces of effect kit that I own, with everything being controllable and having a send/return feedback path similar to The Echo. Putting a compressor or EQ...or even a preamp...into the path makes for super creative sounds.

I’m going home tonight and trying this RE!!!
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

Loque

26 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Now THIS excites me! If the modules sound great then this is an instant buy for me. My little 8-Slot 500 Rack is one of the more inspiring pieces of gear that I own inasmuch as I use it unconventionally...putting modules in the “wrong” order, patching feedback paths, etc. the Eventide DDL-500 is why I got into it in the first place. For me it’s one of the more epic pieces of effect kit that I own, with everything being controllable and having a send/return feedback path similar to The Echo. Putting a compressor or EQ...or even a preamp...into the path makes for super creative sounds.

I’m going home tonight and trying this RE!!!
As soon as this device as breakouts, you can create/manipulate feedbacks. Or does this RE has some feedback control and routing/splitting options?
Reason12, Win10

antic604

26 Jun 2018

QVprod wrote:
25 Jun 2018
You seem to have a misunderstanding of what this device is representative of. It's not supposed to be a modular eurorack or a synth. It's an emulation of a 500 series Lunchbox
Indeed, I thought you were excited about the "modular" aspect of it, so I misunderstood you. For me, the fact that it emulates "a 500 series Lunchbox" does literally nothing, so that's why :)
Last edited by antic604 on 26 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.

antic604

26 Jun 2018

Loque wrote:
26 Jun 2018
As soon as this device as breakouts, you can create/manipulate feedbacks. Or does this RE has some feedback control and routing/splitting options?
No, nothing of the sort. At least not yet :(

My biggest "disappointment" was you can't drag the modules around to reorder them, but that's obvious once you realise it's just an RE limited by current SDK. I really hope Props do take notice and allow for 500- or Eurorack-style separate modules. Obviously small form-factor modules make the low-res nature of the Rack even more apparent, but I'm sure they're working at least on that. :thumbs_up:

Marco Raaphorst

26 Jun 2018

I have always wanted a more modular Reason. The Props designing smaller devices so you can create your own devices.

Maybe this gives them some ideas. But I would take this a lot further, every module should have a backpanel with audio and CV I am sure that's not possible right now in the SDK.

Loque

26 Jun 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
26 Jun 2018
I have always wanted a more modular Reason. The Props designing smaller devices so you can create your own devices.

Maybe this gives them some ideas. But I would take this a lot further, every module should have a backpanel with audio and CV I am sure that's not possible right now in the SDK.
Agree to more modular systems. Exchanging a filter or the order of the oscillator rendering in VCV with envelops for each oscillator BEFORE the note-controlled filter makes me horny :lol: I whish i could do this in Reason. Maybe they integrate VCV native and add polyphony support. That would make cry with joy...
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

26 Jun 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:I have always wanted a more modular Reason. The Props designing smaller devices so you can create your own devices.

I can’t think of any reasons the SDK would limit adding audio I/O and CV for the back panel, like I’ve done with the ColoringEQ. The limitations would be the same as with a hardware version, which is the jacks would “belong” to the slot rather than to the device “in” the slot. CV would have to be generic for each slot, so not sure how it could be implemented on the front. The Combinator approach will work for CV control in the mean time.

Personally I’m hoping for audio I/O and side chain inputs (for compressors) with a future update.

Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

26 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
26 Jun 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:I have always wanted a more modular Reason. The Props designing smaller devices so you can create your own devices.

I can’t think of any reasons the SDK would limit adding audio I/O and CV for the back panel, like I’ve done with the ColoringEQ. The limitations would be the same as with a hardware version, which is the jacks would “belong” to the slot rather than to the device “in” the slot. CV would have to be generic for each slot, so not sure how it could be implemented on the front. The Combinator approach will work for CV control in the mean time.

Personally I’m hoping for audio I/O and side chain inputs (for compressors) with a future update.

Ok then that sounds great!

A better backchannel is a must for this RE as well as solving the EQ bug (low end rolloff)

Ixus

26 Jun 2018

Looks really cool im going to have to give this a try!

PinkSlime

26 Jun 2018

Really positively surprised with this device. I tried it out+bought, the api eq, de-esser and glue comp are great. I have to test the saturation a bit more. Looking forward to the added modules. I would hope for a FET and CLA compressor, an hp/lp filter, some more saturation/transistor/distortion modules and any eq they feel like implementing. The modules already included are value

chimp_spanner

26 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
26 Jun 2018

I imagine each slot having 4 CV inputs. And then each module having up to 4 key parameters locked to those inputs (and indicated somehow on the interface, even just a little number on the pot or next to the parameter label). I think that'd do fine! Reaktor Blocks is an interesting case to look to for a possible solution, in that every block has modulation inputs A and B, and then you just decide what you want to modulate. Not total control but realistically I don't think we'd need to go overboard with modulation here. What are the chances of wanting to modulate *all* parameters of a compressor with CV?

eusti

26 Jun 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
26 Jun 2018
selig wrote:
26 Jun 2018

I imagine each slot having 4 CV inputs. And then each module having up to 4 key parameters locked to those inputs (and indicated somehow on the interface, even just a little number on the pot or next to the parameter label). I think that'd do fine! Reaktor Blocks is an interesting case to look to for a possible solution, in that every block has modulation inputs A and B, and then you just decide what you want to modulate. Not total control but realistically I don't think we'd need to go overboard with modulation here. What are the chances of wanting to modulate *all* parameters of a compressor with CV?
I agree. I'm excited to see something like this in RE format... Pushing the boundaries quite a bit, especially graphically! Nice! But now I want to see stuff that makes it especially Reason-like: CV and separate audio ins/ outs for the modules! :)

D.

antic604

26 Jun 2018

I think you're taking it too far guys - it was (I think) meant to be a "simple" channel strip device, like Scheps Channel and Neutron, where signal goes left to right and that's it. If you now want to route different signals to / from different modules and send control voltages to parameters, then wouldn't it be much easier to just have the modules as a separate slim REs (like kHs effects), that you could stack & connect the way you want? If there were 4 sockets per module on the back, then they'd already have to be taken by stereo in/out pairs going in and out of each module, so that would have to be extended to 6 or 8 total, which would get very messy.

Instead, maybe a separate 4-8 CV global inputs could be added and in the empty space on the right hand of the rack a mod-matrix would let you choose which CV controls which parameter? This way you could actually change the order of the devices, but still maintain the connections?

Loque

26 Jun 2018

antic604 wrote:
26 Jun 2018
I think you're taking it too far guys - it was (I think) meant to be a "simple" channel strip device, like Scheps Channel and Neutron, where signal goes left to right and that's it. If you now want to route different signals to / from different modules and send control voltages to parameters, then wouldn't it be much easier to just have the modules as a separate slim REs (like kHs effects), that you could stack & connect the way you want? If there were 4 sockets per module on the back, then they'd already have to be taken by stereo in/out pairs going in and out of each module, so that would have to be extended to 6 or 8 total, which would get very messy.

Instead, maybe a separate 4-8 CV global inputs could be added and in the empty space on the right hand of the rack a mod-matrix would let you choose which CV controls which parameter? This way you could actually change the order of the devices, but still maintain the connections?
It would be simpler, yes. But i guess most ppl here (including me) like the idea of different rack devices and connections or creating more modular approaches within one device...
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

26 Jun 2018

antic604 wrote:
26 Jun 2018
My biggest "disappointment" was you can't drag the modules around to reorder them, but that's obvious once you realise it's just an RE limited by current SDK.
Serious question: are effect device re-ordering not allowed under the current RE SDK? It can be done in plenty of current RE's... :o
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information