LaunchBox FX Processor

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
eusti

25 Jun 2018

miscend wrote:
25 Jun 2018
The response in this thread says alot. But I for one am glad that Redrock are still making Rack Extensions. I'm guessing these are all modelled on the API modules which is pretty cool because we dont have an API emulation in Reason. I just wonder how the additional modules will work, will it be like some sort of paid content updates like DLC in videogames?
Interesting question... I'm not sure if that would be possible... Maybe something like different updates from the main RE? It would definitely work if all new additions were added in paid / free updates...

D.

selig
RE Developer

25 Jun 2018

Hey Red Rock, this looks really cool!

Any chance to add separate audio in/out for more flexibility? This would allow using the rack more like a real 500 series rack, or building parallel/serial routing of certain modules (parallel compression with serial de-essing, for example). PLUS, side chain inputs for the compressors?

Been wanting something like this for some time - can’t wait to see what other modules you come up with.

And to echo others, why not create a dual module version in a single space format (like the hardware options from Empirical Labs and others), which could be based on individual modules for a lower price? This would allow folks to get only the modules they want!

Congrats on the new RE.
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

chimp_spanner

25 Jun 2018

Yeah it's really great! I've long thought that vertical modules would work in the rack just fine. Actually imagined something a bit like a Combinator, that's just a holder for a horizontal rack. That plus some Eurorack modules...is there ever a day I don't ask for these?

The answer is no. No there is not.

Well done guys! Love this RE.

eusti

25 Jun 2018

Definitely love the new grounds this RE is breaking! Well done!

Here's one nitpicking thingie and a question....
Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 11.13.30.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 11.13.30.png (262.83 KiB) Viewed 2257 times
First the nitpicking: If it unit would ask for a power supply (right red circle) wouldn't it look more like this:
boss-sy-300-guitar-synthesizer-back.jpg
boss-sy-300-guitar-synthesizer-back.jpg (67.2 KiB) Viewed 2257 times
Obviously not a critical thing... ;)

Second: The big area with no CV... Could we get some of those? Not sure if possible, but it could make sense to label them CV inputs A, B, C, D for units 1, 2, 3 , 4 & 5 (left to right)... That way people wouldn't get confused where the CV is going... Obviously I have no clue if that is feasible programming wise and all...

I guess, it always comes to down to us people wanting more, more and more! ;)

D.

QVprod

25 Jun 2018

This is impressive! Never expected to see this. Game changer, especially if separate audio outs can be set in the future for parallel use.

Red Rock

25 Jun 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 Jun 2018
I'm glad Red Rock are still making REs. I've got some of there REs and I quite like them.

Maybe these effects are awesome but I'm not really a fan of the "all in one" approach. I'd rather put my own chain of favorite effects.
Why not seperate them into different REs? Maybe sell them as a bundle if someone wants to buy all of them for a cheaper price?

I'm a little curious about the "Colorizer" though, but I don't want to pay for 5 other effects that I'm not interested in.
Thank you. I remember your music that participated in the Red70 Song Challenge. I like this song:)
Yes, I think we will be releasing some modules separately.

Exowildebeest

25 Jun 2018

Reminds me of Audiothing Vinylstrip. Switchable panels, nice (y)

Knowing Red Rock, I expect the DSP quality of the FX to be excellent.

selig
RE Developer

25 Jun 2018

One more suggestion: a better default starting point.
As it is now, the default patch and device reset give you five graphic EQs. Would rather see a variety of modules greet me, which would also better show off the device IMO!

[EDIT: I'm not hearing much difference between Peak and RMS in the 543 comp. This is typically an obvious control change in other compressors, such as the SSL channel comp. Is something else going on here?]
Selig Audio, LLC

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2018

Red Rock wrote:
25 Jun 2018
TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 Jun 2018
I'm glad Red Rock are still making REs. I've got some of there REs and I quite like them.

Maybe these effects are awesome but I'm not really a fan of the "all in one" approach. I'd rather put my own chain of favorite effects.
Why not seperate them into different REs? Maybe sell them as a bundle if someone wants to buy all of them for a cheaper price?

I'm a little curious about the "Colorizer" though, but I don't want to pay for 5 other effects that I'm not interested in.
Thank you. I remember your music that participated in the Red70 Song Challenge. I like this song:)
Yes, I think we will be releasing some modules separately.
Awesome :thumbs_up:

Red Rock

25 Jun 2018

antic604 wrote:
25 Jun 2018

I don't think people are interested in how it compares to VSTs (sorry if it's just me :)), but rather in how you achieved that Eurorack modularity - can you easily drag & drop the modules around? How do you add the modules? How (if at all) can we adjust the routing between modules? Is this only the beginning and will there be more, with sound generators, envelopes, LFOs, filters?
I'll probably record a video demonstration of a more detailed review of this device. Thanks for the idea.
This device is designed only for effects modules :)

I understand what you mean, but it's incredibly difficult to make a modular synthesizer in RE. And in the current realities and possibilities this will not look like a real analog eurorack device.
It is also not possible to use the CV cables on the front panel.
antic604 wrote:
25 Jun 2018
I'm assuming - since we've heard nothing about API changes - this just "fakes" the Eurorack, by simply displaying different bitmaps (probably generated on the fly) depending on the setup.
API - It's an incredibly legendary company in the world of sound recording
Please, be enlightened :)
https://www.apiaudio.com/about.php

Red Rock

25 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
25 Jun 2018
As it is now, the default patch and device reset give you five graphic EQs. Would rather see a variety of modules greet me, which would also better show off the device IMO!
Yes, thanks. It should not have been like this. On the idea it should be an empty box. We'll fix it in the update.

selig
RE Developer

25 Jun 2018

Red Rock wrote:
25 Jun 2018
selig wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Yes, thanks. It should not have been like this. On the idea it should be an empty box. We'll fix it in the update.
Can you check this out for me (I added this to the above post after you replied, sorry!)
"I'm not hearing much difference between Peak and RMS in the 543 comp. This is typically an obvious control change in other compressors, such as the SSL channel comp. Is something else going on here, or am I missing something about the other settings I should be aware of?"
Selig Audio, LLC

Red Rock

25 Jun 2018

miscend wrote:
25 Jun 2018
The response in this thread says alot. But I for one am glad that Redrock are still making Rack Extensions. I'm guessing these are all modelled on the API modules which is pretty cool because we dont have an API emulation in Reason. I just wonder how the additional modules will work, will it be like some sort of paid content updates like DLC in videogames?
New modules will be added with updates. But you can not choose a one module for download, you will get them all.
Last edited by Red Rock on 25 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

25 Jun 2018

Red Rock wrote:
25 Jun 2018
miscend wrote:
25 Jun 2018
New modules will be added with updates. But you can not choose a module for download, you will get them all.
would you consider enlightening us further and releasing each module in this form factor:
Selig Audio, LLC

Kalm

25 Jun 2018

I just saw this image just now in the reason shop. . . . no you didn't. . .
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Red Rock

25 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Hey Red Rock, this looks really cool!
Thank you:)
selig wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Any chance to add separate audio in/out for more flexibility? This would allow using the rack more like a real 500 series rack, or building parallel/serial routing of certain modules (parallel compression with serial de-essing, for example). PLUS, side chain inputs for the compressors?

There were such thoughts, but we refused this at the development stage. But maybe we'll come back to this later and add it to the update.

selig wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Been wanting something like this for some time - can’t wait to see what other modules you come up with.
So far we have not thought about what will be next :) There are several ideas.

selig wrote:
25 Jun 2018
And to echo others, why not create a dual module version in a single space format (like the hardware options from Empirical Labs and others), which could be based on individual modules for a lower price? This would allow folks to get only the modules they want!
Yes, we will release some modules separately.
By the way, we already have one :)
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... equalizer/

Red Rock

25 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Red Rock wrote:
25 Jun 2018

Can you check this out for me (I added this to the above post after you replied, sorry!)
"I'm not hearing much difference between Peak and RMS in the 543 comp. This is typically an obvious control change in other compressors, such as the SSL channel comp. Is something else going on here, or am I missing something about the other settings I should be aware of?"
Should work properly :) I will definitely check this and write you an answer later.

Red Rock

25 Jun 2018

eusti wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Definitely love the new grounds this RE is breaking! Well done!

Here's one nitpicking thingie and a question....

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 11.13.30.png

First the nitpicking: If it unit would ask for a power supply (right red circle) wouldn't it look more like this:

boss-sy-300-guitar-synthesizer-back.jpg

Obviously not a critical thing... ;)

Second: The big area with no CV... Could we get some of those? Not sure if possible, but it could make sense to label them CV inputs A, B, C, D for units 1, 2, 3 , 4 & 5 (left to right)... That way people wouldn't get confused where the CV is going... Obviously I have no clue if that is feasible programming wise and all...

I guess, it always comes to down to us people wanting more, more and more! ;)

D.
This device requires a lot of electricity, so such a thick power cable :)

Red Rock

25 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Red Rock wrote:
25 Jun 2018

New modules will be added with updates. But you can not choose a module for download, you will get them all.
would you consider enlightening us further and releasing each module in this form factor:
Thanks for the idea. We will think about it. But I'll tell you frankly, I'm afraid to remember those days when we worked on 2D GUI for this device.

bxbrkrz

25 Jun 2018

I LOVE the community. What a beautiful sight. Thx Red Rock! :o :thumbs_up:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

antic604

25 Jun 2018

QVprod wrote:
25 Jun 2018
This is impressive! Never expected to see this. Game changer, especially if separate audio outs can be set in the future for parallel use.
Don't get your hope up - it's not a real modular system, it's an RE with exchangeable panels, sort of like Thor is. So you won't be able to purchase single modules, you can't drag the modules around, there will be no oscillators or LFOs, no 3rd party stuff, no inter-modular routing, no adding of 2nd or 3rd row, etc. If you're using VSTs it's an idea similar to Scheps Channel or Neutron, but in a RE format and disguised to look like modular rack :)

BTW I'm not saying this to criticise the dev here, because the idea and execution is post on! It's just that in order to get proper functionality, Props would need to add support for Eurorack (or 500) modules to the SDK
Last edited by antic604 on 25 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Red Rock

25 Jun 2018

bxbrkrz wrote:
25 Jun 2018
I LOVE the community. What a beautiful sight. Thx Red Rock! :o :thumbs_up:
:thumbs_up: :puf_smile:

Marco Raaphorst

25 Jun 2018

Parametric EQ with everything in middle position is lacking low end. Feels like a bug.

Loque

25 Jun 2018

finally someone used the idea of switchable modules for a RE.Looks very good, well done. Soundwise i have to test it at some point...
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

25 Jun 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Parametric EQ with everything in middle position is lacking low end. Feels like a bug.
Good catch, probably not intended (could be because this version doesn't have a "sub" band EQ?):
Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 1.44.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 1.44.37 PM.png (142.68 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
UPDATE - top end drop off comes from the graphic EQs inline with the default settings. Here's just the parametric EQ default settings:
(note that the bypassed level should be -30 dBFS)
Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 1.46.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 1.46.14 PM.png (152.63 KiB) Viewed 2121 times
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information