Mutable Instruments?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Crumbfort

20 Jun 2018

So, I've recently gotten massively hooked on eurorack. I particularly enjoy the Mutable Instruments modules (https://mutable-instruments.net/). Many of these are available for free in VCV rack (which is awesome) (https://vcvrack.com/AudibleInstruments.html) and are a complete blast to play with.

I've often wished that many of these modules were available as rack extensions (clouds, rings, elements, warps, frames, etc) and I've been wondering if anyone else shared the same interest. I would happily pay for all of these if they ever came to the reason rack (seems like a perfect fit! :puf_bigsmile: ). Would anyone else be interested? Is this a foolish dream I should cast aside? Whaddya think?
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

Undistraction

20 Jun 2018

It's not an impossibility given the recent arrival of one Eurorack developer to making REs, but I think it's such a tiny market that it probably isn't worth it for most developers.

It would be great if there were more interesting modules available as REs. Small, focused and modular. On the whole they are pretty unimaginative and pedestrian compared to the wealth of interesting Eurorack modules available. Only Lectric Panda is making interesting REs at the moment.

It's really strange how unmodular most REs are given Reason uses the rack metaphor. It's got one food in modular and one in DAW, but doesn't do either as well as it could.

Loque

20 Jun 2018

I seriously need more time to explore the VCVRack and combine it with Reason... And I would like to have them directly rather in Reason than in an external program and use vst routing...
Reason12, Win10

O1B

20 Jun 2018

If the Modules were in Reason, we could save our settings - and CV!!

The problem of trading 'hands on' control for mouse and fiddly MIDI remains.
I have Clouds - wet Reverb YES!,
Shelves - CV EQ!!
, and am ordering Ears.
Stages is my chosen multi-stage ENV, for now
- until I pick a proper LPG.

What of MI do your have/use?
Crumbfort wrote:
20 Jun 2018
So, I've recently gotten massively hooked on eurorack. I particularly enjoy the Mutable Instruments modules (https://mutable-instruments.net/). Many of these are available for free in VCV rack (which is awesome) (https://vcvrack.com/AudibleInstruments.html) and are a complete blast to play with.

I've often wished that many of these modules were available as rack extensions (clouds, rings, elements, warps, frames, etc) and I've been wondering if anyone else shared the same interest. I would happily pay for all of these if they ever came to the reason rack (seems like a perfect fit! :puf_bigsmile: ). Would anyone else be interested? Is this a foolish dream I should cast aside? Whaddya think?

kuhliloach

20 Jun 2018

I just wanted to add how much I love the Noise Engineering RE's--mainly because they are simple to use, have lots of character, and are very different sounding. I share the desire to see more Eurorack style RE's, not just because of their patchability but because they just sound cool.

fieldframe
RE Developer

20 Jun 2018

While it would be cool if Mutable Instruments started porting some of their devices to Reason, that's not the only way we could have the likes of Clouds or Braids in Reason. You may already know this, but the reason all the "Audible Instruments" modules are free in VCV Rack is that Mutable makes all their source code open-source! You can browse their Github here: https://github.com/pichenettes/eurorack

So really, anyone with the Reason SDK and a solid basis in C++ could try adapting Mutable's source to RE. There are probably a lot of things you'd have to refactor to work the way the SDK expects them to, but it would probably also vary by module.

MannequinRaces

20 Jun 2018

I’d love to see more modular instruments / effects / utilities in Reason. For this to happen please contact the manufacturers’ you’re interested in to let them know there is a market and demand for what they could offer us.

kungubu

20 Jun 2018

Well we already have Resonans rack extension with the resonators from Rings.
I would really like a module like Marbles and a dynamic gate like Streams in RE-format. Noise Engineerings REs was a really welcome addition and I really hope som more modules like that will show up - not only sound sources, but also cv-devices like a good random device, some function generator (like Stages or Maths), or some mor interesting lfos (like Batumi) and of course a lopass gate and a complex oscillator. But it doesn't seem like the RE-developers are interested in that kind of stuff.

Faastwalker

20 Jun 2018

I'd love to see more official Eurorack modules appearing as RE's. would be very happy with that.

On a side note I just noticed that Mutable Instruments modules have started appearing for Softube Modular. Modular is also currently on sale along with most of the extra modules available. Very tempting at the price;

https://www.softube.com/modular

turn2on
RE Developer

20 Jun 2018

Soon I open beta for device based partly on MI Braids..
Device start developing year ago from June 2017. Technical name Alatyr
Last edited by turn2on on 21 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.

O1B

21 Jun 2018

Braids.... or Plaits... or Braids.... either one....

Im interested! And, thanks!

turn2on wrote:
20 Jun 2018
Device start developing year ago from one 2017. Technical name Alatyr

Bumbum

21 Jun 2018

turn2on wrote:
20 Jun 2018
Device start developing year ago from one 2017. Technical name Alatyr
WOU! HUGE IF TRUE! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

dancing fool

21 Jun 2018

I'd love to see al lot of eurorack as RE in reason.
Now using reactor ,VCV ,softube modular and nord modular. But like to have that inside reason.

Crumbfort

21 Jun 2018

O1B wrote:
20 Jun 2018

What of MI do your have/use?
Hah, just Veils at the moment (I know, I know, gotta get more! hah). Maybe we need a modulargrid thread in the hardware subforum? :puf_bigsmile:
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

O1B

21 Jun 2018

Nope. No rush. No rush.
I can't pick between Veils and Blinds... help me. how'd you choose?

And about the Modulargrid section, I agree. We need one.

Crumbfort wrote:
21 Jun 2018

Hah, just Veils at the moment (I know, I know, gotta get more! hah). Maybe we need a modulargrid thread in the hardware subforum? :puf_bigsmile:

Crumbfort

28 Jun 2018

O1B wrote:
21 Jun 2018
Nope. No rush. No rush.
I can't pick between Veils and Blinds... help me. how'd you choose?

And about the Modulargrid section, I agree. We need one.

Crumbfort wrote:
21 Jun 2018

Hm, I'm certainly no eurorack expert, but I guess it depends on what you've got going for other VCAs. Veils has variable response curve controls which I really like. Blinds does polarizing. The other VCA I have my eye is the Intellijel Quad VCA. Has variable response curse and a 6db boost per vca which looks useful. I chose Veils because that's what the super nice guy helping me at the local synth shop recommended :puf_bigsmile: He definitely did not steer me wrong! Really great module.

• Information