Semi modular Re?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
buddard
RE Developer

13 Jul 2018

selig wrote:
13 Jul 2018
For fun I’ve done some mockups in the past to see what this concept would look like. One issue I ran into was that the front panels will be somewhat restricted in size to accommodate the space for the jacks on the back (to keep a 1:1 relationship between the panels). This is because you need to leave additional space on the front for where the jacks will appear on the back. Options are to put an LED on the front where the jack would be, and use that LED to indicate the presence (and CV level) of cables on the back panel.
I thought along these lines as well, but my idea was to have the LEDs indicate the CV value in a bipolar manner, like we did on Resonans and CV-I/O: LED is off at 0V/disconnected, fades to red for negative values and green for positive values, and max out the LED intensity at +/- 1V.

Also, instead of the standard CV trim pots I think I would use my own knobs so that they can appear on both the front and back panels, in exactly the same place, of course. I think it's useful to be able to attenuate CV signals also on the front panel if I'm going to visualize the CV signal there.
selig wrote: I’m not 100% sure because I’ve not specifically looked into this (and am away from my computer today), but there may or may not be restrictions on the newer features of the SDK as per duplicating them on the back panel, speculating about custom displays and switchable panels here.
Both examples you mentioned are restricted, unfortunately, but not necessarily showstoppers IMO.

selig
RE Developer

13 Jul 2018

buddard wrote:
selig wrote:
13 Jul 2018
For fun I’ve done some mockups in the past to see what this concept would look like. One issue I ran into was that the front panels will be somewhat restricted in size to accommodate the space for the jacks on the back (to keep a 1:1 relationship between the panels). This is because you need to leave additional space on the front for where the jacks will appear on the back. Options are to put an LED on the front where the jack would be, and use that LED to indicate the presence (and CV level) of cables on the back panel.
I thought along these lines as well, but my idea was to have the LEDs indicate the CV value in a bipolar manner, like we did on Resonans and CV-I/O: LED is off at 0V/disconnected, fades to red for negative values and green for positive values, and max out the LED intensity at +/- 1V.

Also, instead of the standard CV trim pots I think I would use my own knobs so that they can appear on both the front and back panels, in exactly the same place, of course. I think it's useful to be able to attenuate CV signals also on the front panel if I'm going to visualize the CV signal there.
selig wrote: I’m not 100% sure because I’ve not specifically looked into this (and am away from my computer today), but there may or may not be restrictions on the newer features of the SDK as per duplicating them on the back panel, speculating about custom displays and switchable panels here.
Both examples you mentioned are restricted, unfortunately, but not necessarily showstoppers IMO.
I agree, and intended to imply that in my comments - just thinking out loud about WHY it’s not common to do so with modular synth REs. Maybe one day I’ll get around to building mine, and will definitely explore this option. And also 100% are about CV depth knobs on the front - the VERY first RE design I created was a modular synth suite which did just this! But I wasn’t totally happy with that approach and took another path instead…

Wow, 6 years ago this month… (would have to increase size to add knobs to back)
Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 4.41.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 4.41.08 PM.png (200.21 KiB) Viewed 503 times
Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 4.41.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 4.41.00 PM.png (198.98 KiB) Viewed 503 times
Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 4.40.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 4.40.52 PM.png (199.43 KiB) Viewed 503 times
Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 4.40.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 4.40.36 PM.png (140.35 KiB) Viewed 503 times

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Ahornberg

14 Jul 2018

Selig, these 4 modules look great! Are they ready for the RE-shop?

• Information