steorize Mono in Reason without ozone imager?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
aminionarris

18 Jun 2018

Hi Guys,

i try to stereoize some Monosounds. For now i use the free vst Ozone imager. If i use 5 or more in one track, my cpu on Macbook say bye bye.
So im looking for an other way. Do Reason allready include the possibility or do someone know a good RE?

Rhank you in advance.

Martin

Ahornberg

18 Jun 2018

maybe this https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-extension/restereo/ could be an option
but a simple short delay on one of the stereo channels should do the trick

I usually widen mono sound by using FX sends, e.g. The Echo with ping pong delays, reverb of all kinds and of course the Rotor RE.

aminionarris

18 Jun 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
18 Jun 2018
maybe this https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-extension/restereo/ could be an option
but a simple short delay on one of the stereo channels should do the trick

I usually widen mono sound by using FX sends, e.g. The Echo with ping pong delays, reverb of all kinds and of course the Rotor RE.
Thanks for your fast response. I tried some trials but nothing reach the quality of the imager, i got a very clean MS Signal from Ozone (Polar Level _I_). I tried to get the Haas Effect as you say with some delay, and it works "ok" but not so good as ozone :/.

Ahornberg

18 Jun 2018

What about putting Ozone Imager on a send in the mixer or on the master bus?
Then you only need one device, not 5 or more.

Voyager

18 Jun 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
18 Jun 2018

What about putting Ozone Imager on a send in the mixer or on the master bus?
Then you only need one device, not 5 or more.

He may want different parameters for each tracks.

selig
RE Developer

18 Jun 2018

In this case the best approach is probably to bounce to "stereo" audio - sorry I don't have a better solution!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Ahornberg

18 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
18 Jun 2018
In this case the best approach is probably to bounce to "stereo" audio - sorry I don't have a better solution!
:)
true

normen

18 Jun 2018

Will all the sounds play by themselves? Otherwise a good way to make single mono tracks stereo is to have them play alongside each other and pan them in the stereo field :) Having two different synths or guitars play the same line panned hard left/right REALLY makes things wide.

antic604

18 Jun 2018

aminionarris wrote:
18 Jun 2018
Hi Guys,

i try to stereoize some Monosounds. For now i use the free vst Ozone imager. If i use 5 or more in one track, my cpu on Macbook say bye bye.
So im looking for an other way. Do Reason allready include the possibility or do someone know a good RE?

Rhank you in advance.

Martin
How are you producing the mono sounds? If they come out from an instrument, then you can put a Spider after the instrument and route two copies of the audio to L and R inputs in the Mix Channel. I don't know WHY you'd want to do it to just the sound itself, rather than adding some spatial effects, but it can be done.

jayhosking

18 Jun 2018

There are a lot of different ways to produce a stereo sound, and simply artificially widening the sound without any other processing isn't always pleasant sounding, especially when used on multiple tracks. Have you considered balancing with use of stereo delay, tight stereo reverbs, chorus, or phaser?

But if you're just looking for a stereo widener, I've found this VST to be useful (and it's free): https://polyversemusic.com/products/wider/

antic604

18 Jun 2018

jayhosking wrote:
18 Jun 2018
But if you're just looking for a stereo widener, I've found this VST to be useful (and it's free): https://polyversemusic.com/products/wider/
But won't that only work for stereo audio? I mean even the name suggests to make stuff "wider", as in it's already "wide" :D
EDIT: Ok, it appears to also work on mono signal :)

You can use https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... hs-stereo/ for FREE that does the same, probably at the fraction of CPU

campbejo
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2018

Best way I've found is the old unison effect. Set it to 4 voices, detune between 0 and 5 and dry/wet about half way or less, this gives a stereo effect without affecting the source too much. Obviously it reduces volume and you'll lose a bit of high end but thats to be expected and it's easy enough to add a high shelf if needed.

C//AZM

19 Jun 2018

Try this old school method;
Route the mono sound through a spider into two channels, pan them L & R. Use polar to modulate the pitch of one side up and down a tiny amount (a few cents in each direction) and put a simple delay on one side while also slowly modulating the delay time a few milliseconds (approx10 to 30 ms). The time difference+panning creates fake stereo to a degree and the slight independent modulation on pitch and time reduces obvious comb filtering that you get when two identical waves become out-of-phase. The pitch modulation furthers the illusion of two separate performances. The pitch and time modulations work better when they're modulating slowly and at different, non tempo synched rates.

C//AZM

19 Jun 2018

Oh, and I would stay away from heavy low end stereoizing on anything that's going to end up on vinyl.

aminionarris

19 Jun 2018

Thanks a lot for all your ideas.

After trying different things, i ll be stay on the Haas effect with delay. To get Stereo was not the problem. The clean sound of Ozone Imager after Haas Effect and Widening is outstanding but i will leave vst cause of performance. So i set some combinator patches (Delay, Stereoimager, Splitter, Linemixer) to get close to ozone :).

Thread can be closed if possible.

Greatings Martin

RobC

19 Jun 2018

You take your mono sound, duplicate it, add milliseconds of delay to the duplicate, and invert either left or right channel of the duplicate. Around 30 ms usually doesn't make things sound overly weird. Using Reason's delay, this is the most efficient way.

EDIT: Works best with very varied sounds, such as vocals, and doesn't affect the mid/sum "mono channel". You can use a crossfader to set dry/wet amount and delay time to taste.

Why close a good thread?!

LarsK

19 Jun 2018

aminionarris wrote:
18 Jun 2018
Hi Guys,

Rhank you in advance.

Martin
Perhaps take a look at Brainworx Stereomaker (VST though) https://www.brainworx.audio/products/br ... maker.html - not clogging up my system but ymmv.

• Information