RND Generator Randomizer from Lectric Panda

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
cognitive

29 Jun 2018

I tried RND on Eden today, one of the new UJAM REs. I was, of course, able to get pleasing rhythmic results using RND as a player for individual drum sounds, similar to the example RND Drum combinators, except with Eden instead of Kong.

But I was also able to get interesting randomized pattern-based changes triggered every few bars by using RND to drive those, starting at the C3 trigger and up on Eden. Also, by having 4 random generators in one unit, I was able (to a certain extent) to target white-key note triggers for main pattern changes and black-key note patterns for occasional fills, etc.

More grinning like Hydlide. :D

ljekio

01 Jul 2018

Another one using of RND - trigging slices of rex loops in DrRex (alt or rnd mode).
Cool :)

cognitive

01 Jul 2018

ljekio wrote:
01 Jul 2018
Another one using of RND - trigging slices of rex loops in DrRex (alt or rnd mode).
Cool :)
Yes, this works quite well.

If you want to really go crazy, hook up RND to a JammeR combinator, if you have it. That gets quite fun in terms of automating triggered loops on a macro level.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... er-module/

Undistraction

08 Jul 2018

A couple of thoughts:

1. It would be much more usable if all four channels were visible at the same time rather than only one being visible at a time.

2. Unless I'm missing something, the only options are random or alt (which sequences through each option from bottom to top). Would be great to have in addition alt-reverse, and a more intelligent random that uses up each option in the possibilities before repeating - in fact all the options on Robotic Bean's Step Note Recorder.

3. Would be great to have more control over how the alternatives are generated. It seems rather linear at the moment.

Catblack

21 Jul 2018

I hadn't noticed the update, but it's WONDERFUL!!!!

I can't believe how the CV outs useful it are. I've got one of my test tracks with a very mellow groove going with three pulses, and now I'm able to play around with different note/gate pairs.
RND.PNG
RND.PNG (8.92 KiB) Viewed 3736 times
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

kefkekeyser

02 Aug 2018

I found a bug: RND midi drops notes.
Try this: use a ReDrum and create a pattern with some 32nd note fills. Put RND above the ReDrum. Enable MIDI. You will notice that some of the 32nd notes are dropped.
And it's worse if you enable a Groove channel with 7 ticks random timing, RND will now drop even more notes.

EDIT: I have contacted Lectric Panda support, they are checking this issue (amazed by the quick response of their support team)

Libraquaricorn

21 Aug 2018

I bought this recently and kind of wish I had it available as a rack extension, as well as a player, so I could drag it into the rack and use it for modulation purposes without having to create an instrument first.... Nice device though

Loque

21 Aug 2018

Libraquaricorn wrote:
21 Aug 2018
I bought this recently and kind of wish I had it available as a rack extension, as well as a player, so I could drag it into the rack and use it for modulation purposes without having to create an instrument first.... Nice device though
With this one here you can route it anywhere to CV inputs and modulate stuff:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... layer-tap/
Reason12, Win10

Libraquaricorn

21 Aug 2018

Loque wrote:
21 Aug 2018
Libraquaricorn wrote:
21 Aug 2018
I have the player tap device as well, but I guess I haven't really grasped the full extent of what it is usefull for. RND has CV outs on its own, so my issue with it was that I could not just drag one into the rack without connecting it to an instrument device, but JUST now I found that I could put an empty combinator in the rack and then drag any player I like on top of it, so that resolves the issue elegantly :P

cognitive

10 Nov 2018

I'm working on some new trance tracks in Reason, and for sound generation, I keep going to The Legend and the Noise Engineering REs for their character. Then there's the beast called eXpanse that keeps making its way into my rack. :D

But what's really making this stuff come alive and flow musically is using RND (along with Chords and Scales) to drive certain parts. I'm using it as a (not so) secret weapon to quickly create ever evolving, yet musical soundscapes. It's working VERY well for faster moving groovy analog synth lines, but also fantastic for slower evolving pads.

IMHO, if you are doing progressive trance in Reason, you NEED this essential RE.

Catblack

10 Nov 2018

cognitive wrote:
10 Nov 2018
I'm working on some new trance tracks in Reason, and for sound generation, I keep going to The Legend and the Noise Engineering REs for their character. Then there's the beast called eXpanse that keeps making its way into my rack. :D

But what's really making this stuff come alive and flow musically is using RND (along with Chords and Scales) to drive certain parts. I'm using it as a (not so) secret weapon to quickly create ever evolving, yet musical soundscapes. It's working VERY well for faster moving groovy analog synth lines, but also fantastic for slower evolving pads.

IMHO, if you are doing progressive trance in Reason, you NEED this essential RE.
I loev using RND while I check out refills. It's good for sort of pressing the keys for me while I fiddle with the mod wheel and the combi knobs. And then I'll find something I like in there, maybe play a part over it.

I added some little blips to my Voicer (combi) test and was very happy with the results.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Wobbleburger

10 Nov 2018

Plugging RND into the PSQ is also a random wormhole!!
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

cognitive

12 Nov 2018

Wobbleburger wrote:
10 Nov 2018
Plugging RND into the PSQ is also a random wormhole!!
I'm experiencing this first hand. PSQ is becoming a wormhole for me all on its own. :shock:

dvdrtldg

19 Nov 2018

Finally grabbed this. Oh my god. It's going to take me a while to figure out how to get the best from it, but already I'm in heaven. Building a nice semi-generative krautrock type track with this and CVPT and PSQ-1684 and Korde and a few other bits & pieces. The Chronologists' Later is getting some action after a long time on the shelf, it works really well with all this Lectric Panda gear. Everyone should get hold of this RE

Bumbum

19 Nov 2018

Catblack wrote:
10 Nov 2018

I added some little blips to my Voicer (combi) test and was very happy with the results.
this sounds super nice!

kinkujin

06 Feb 2019

So, any reason to have both QNG and RND? Is it all overlap? Thanks.

seqoi

07 Feb 2019

kinkujin wrote:
06 Feb 2019
So, any reason to have both QNG and RND? Is it all overlap? Thanks.
It's not overlap!

RND is wicked brother with totally random pulses. Read it like this - with QNG (which is pattern based) you are on the safe side (musical side so to speak). With RND you are on your own weird random adventure.

kinkujin

08 Feb 2019

Thanks for the reply. I'll put it on my list then.

DecafDreams

16 Dec 2020

Quick question, can RND randomise incoming note positions (i.e. set them randomly back or forward a few ticks?) If not, what's the best RE Player to do that? (I'm looking for a real-time equivalent to the Randomize MIDI option that's in the Reason Tool Window)

Stygian Abyss

16 Dec 2020

DecafDreams wrote:
16 Dec 2020
Quick question, can RND randomise incoming note positions (i.e. set them randomly back or forward a few ticks?) If not, what's the best RE Player to do that? (I'm looking for a real-time equivalent to the Randomize MIDI option that's in the Reason Tool Window)
You can't randomize note backwards with players - and this is even more true if you play live. ;)
You can only add some random delay, and I suggest you to try Note Humanizer which does exactly this.

Faastwalker

16 Dec 2020

Libraquaricorn wrote:
21 Aug 2018
Loque wrote:
21 Aug 2018

I have the player tap device as well, but I guess I haven't really grasped the full extent of what it is usefull for. RND has CV outs on its own, so my issue with it was that I could not just drag one into the rack without connecting it to an instrument device, but JUST now I found that I could put an empty combinator in the rack and then drag any player I like on top of it, so that resolves the issue elegantly :P
Yes that is a little annoying. I guess it makes sense in the context of Reason. But I love to use the Players to control Eurorack so don't need an instrument to be loaded. But your Combinator workaround is a good idea :thumbs_up:

guitfnky

16 Dec 2020

Stygian Abyss wrote:
16 Dec 2020
DecafDreams wrote:
16 Dec 2020
You can't randomize note backwards with players - and this is even more true if you play live. ;)
You can only add some random delay, and I suggest you to try Note Humanizer which does exactly this.
that really should ONLY apply when talking about offsetting incoming notes that a user is playing. you can’t obviously move a note someone is playing now to occur before it was played, so that makes sense

there’s no reason that a Player which generates notes for you should be subject to the same limitation. you can do this already with non-Player devices like Propulsion—there’s a host of CV inputs that allow you to control whether the generated notes occur before or after the beat. it was a feature I asked for in Kompulsion and I think also in this RND device, if I recall correctly. guess it’s not something a majority of people were really interested in.

honestly, it really surprises me that we’re still waiting for someone to crack the code on a good drum sequencer with randomization, realistic velocity grooves, and properly humanized timing. we have options for the first, and at least attempts at the last, but nothing for good grooving velocities, and nothing that puts it all together into one unit. as it stands, every Player that’s meant to create drum grooves for you sounds just slightly better than terrible at creating realistic grooves. really sad.

the only plugin that scratches that itch is Rayzoon Jamstix—and it’s great, but can’t be used in Reason until they allow VST MIDI, and it’s got a fairly steep learning curve.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Stygian Abyss

17 Dec 2020

guitfnky wrote:
16 Dec 2020
Stygian Abyss wrote:
16 Dec 2020
that really should ONLY apply when talking about offsetting incoming notes that a user is playing. you can’t obviously move a note someone is playing now to occur before it was played, so that makes sense
I don't think players can guess if incoming notes are played live, read from the sequencer or generated by another player upper in the stack. I suppose they just receive a generic MIDI data stream and only can transmit it to the next player or instrument with a delay. That's the way I understand it's implemented, maybe one of our RE developers can confirm it.
guitfnky wrote:
16 Dec 2020
there’s no reason that a Player which generates notes for you should be subject to the same limitation. you can do this already with non-Player devices like Propulsion—there’s a host of CV inputs that allow you to control whether the generated notes occur before or after the beat. it was a feature I asked for in Kompulsion and I think also in this RND device, if I recall correctly. guess it’s not something a majority of people were really interested in.
Agreed, if you're talking about a player humanizing the notes it generates there's no problem, except convincing the developer to implement the feature. I was only anwering the question asked that was, if I understood it correctly, about incoming notes.
guitfnky wrote:
16 Dec 2020
the only plugin that scratches that itch is Rayzoon Jamstix—and it’s great, but can’t be used in Reason until they allow VST MIDI, and it’s got a fairly steep learning curve.
VST MIDI output can be implemented in Reason using various methods. You may be interested in this tutorial in which I explain the one I implemented.

guitfnky

17 Dec 2020

Stygian Abyss wrote:
17 Dec 2020
guitfnky wrote:
16 Dec 2020

I don't think players can guess if incoming notes are played live, read from the sequencer or generated by another player upper in the stack. I suppose they just receive a generic MIDI data stream and only can transmit it to the next player or instrument with a delay. That's the way I understand it's implemented, maybe one of our RE developers can confirm it.
guitfnky wrote:
16 Dec 2020
Agreed, if you're talking about a player humanizing the notes it generates there's no problem, except convincing the developer to implement the feature. I was only anwering the question asked that was, if I understood it correctly, about incoming notes.
guitfnky wrote:
16 Dec 2020
VST MIDI output can be implemented in Reason using various methods. You may be interested in this tutorial in which I explain the one I implemented.
ah, fair enough. I was under the impression RND did some kind of MIDI generation of its own, but it sounds like I’m wrong about that. as I recall, I was briefly very excited about the idea and as soon as I heard there was no way to do any kind of timing stuff I was looking for, I lost interest. should have familiarized myself with what it actually does before responding.

and thanks for that tutorial. I’ll check it out. 👍🏼 would be nice to actually finally get some use out of Jamstix, for once.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2020

guitfnky wrote:
16 Dec 2020

FYI: I did a couple of video's on using VST3's, Midi out etc here

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7519595

• Information