UMPF Club Drums RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
seqoi
Posts: 384
Joined: 12 Aug 2017

Post 14 Jun 2018

It's great for someone just starting.

I'll take Redrum routed to my own templates or Kong any day over this.

Again i can totally see this being used in comvination with Drum Sequencer as an alternative. Cool.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6354
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 14 Jun 2018

exxx wrote:
13 Jun 2018
Studio One's impact is included in the 4.0 update, and each drum sound is automatically routed to an individual mixer track.

However, PH puts out Kong2 like this 99

Please separate the effector from the instrument.

It's funny to connect the entire device to use Kong's effects.
Not to digress, but have you seen the thread at KVR on Studio One 4? Whenever I hear people complaining about what Reason doesn't have and how Props botched an update, all I need to do is read that thread to remind me that people complain about all DAW's no matter what they are. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, S1 and Reason are so far apart on how they handle things, I'm thinking your request is a lost cause.
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
Carly(Poohbear)
Posts: 2551
Joined: 25 Jan 2015
Location: UK

Post 14 Jun 2018

EnochLight wrote:
13 Jun 2018
I've spent some time with it, and coupled with Drum Sequencer Player, I'm finding it a blast to use. The library included is pretty damn good, and each preset comes with a Drum Sequencer counterpart. If I had any complaint, it's that I have to advance both presets - one at a time - while browsing through. This is something that Sonic Charge's Microtonic does much better (as the drum sequencer, being "built in", advances the patterns when you change presets). Still, this thing sounds fantastic, looks great IMHO, and might just find a spot in my rack.
Surely having the Drum Seq patches separate from the Umpf patches is better? As in oh I like this Drum Seq pattern and I liked that other Umpf patch if they were as one you will end having to copy\replicate stuff over, this way you don't have to...
and if someone has written a specific pattern to a specific Umpf patch then that can be saved in a Combinator?

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 1707
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 14 Jun 2018

Looks okay & I'm looking forward to trying. But for the price it appears to be a pretty hard sell. Quite happy with Kong. There doesn't seem to be anything here to set the World on fire but it looks like fun.

Undistraction

Post 14 Jun 2018

It's strange how targeted the branding is. It seems like there is quite a lot that can be done with it, but the marketing makes it feel like it is limited in application and genre. Obviously this is a deliberate choice by PH so maybe it's going to be a VST release as well which might make more sense.

I just think the price is crazy compared to a full version upgrade.

wishMachine
Posts: 38
Joined: 12 Dec 2017

Post 14 Jun 2018

Reasonable man wrote:
13 Jun 2018
I like this concept. I have the opposite (i think) with 8 drum mix channels from the back of kong (rims/snares grouped together on one channel ...rides/crashes cymabals percussion grouped together in another , then kick, hihats etc ) ..anyway i have seperate combies with redrums in em (4 in total) for seperate drum instruments like snare then Kick etc that have extensive scope for eqing and compression . The outputs of these go into the same respective mix channels as the kong outputs (via a 14.2 mixer in each insert fx slot) then all mix channels grouped to the main drum mix channel.
Im not gonna lie to ya . Its a real DSP hog and i'm looking at this new drum machine with its inbuilt eq and compression and im thinking that this little machine can potentialy save me from alot of this wiring madness!
Its reading 89 Euro right now in the props shop but thats still too much imo
So it's not just me then, that makes me happy :)

I get you on the cpu hog front, it can be extremely painful sometimes. The kicks are usually 3-4 samples, a body, an attack, then some other parts. I tend to use Filter (what was D-Filter) and the Synapse VEQ per sample then merge them all back with a 6:2 mixer. This seems to be a decent combo and I like the applied tone of VEQ, post aggressive filtering (if 192 DB per Octave isn't aggressive filtering I have no idea what is). The snares can go up to 6 samples all with similar processing and various pan off-sets. This also means you can throw in a Thor or Malström and use it's noise generation abilities as well. I'll sometimes add the off snare in with the snare on the last 2 (5 & 6) sample slots and use a Spider C.V. splitter so that I can assign a pad to that end of the sound too.

After what you've pointed out I may have to trial this device, I'd imagine 2 of these puppies (3 max) Could cover most of the bases if the samples can be layered. Then again, I have a sneaking suspicion Basimilus Iteritas may well become my kick drum generator in the near future.
:reason: 10 :record: :refill: :ignition: :re:

User avatar
WillyOD
Posts: 255
Joined: 20 Jan 2015
Location: Left of stardust

Post 14 Jun 2018

To me the naming just feels like they will have slight "genre variations" of this RE for sale in the future. Which makes me sad.
Undistraction wrote:
14 Jun 2018
It's strange how targeted the branding is. It seems like there is quite a lot that can be done with it, but the marketing makes it feel like it is limited in application and genre. Obviously this is a deliberate choice by PH so maybe it's going to be a VST release as well which might make more sense.
You can do it, put your back into it. Check out my cool website at diippii.com.

User avatar
tiker01
Moderator
Posts: 1287
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 14 Jun 2018

WillyOD wrote:
14 Jun 2018
To me the naming just feels like they will have slight "genre variations" of this RE for sale in the future. Which makes me sad.
Undistraction wrote:
14 Jun 2018
It's strange how targeted the branding is. It seems like there is quite a lot that can be done with it, but the marketing makes it feel like it is limited in application and genre. Obviously this is a deliberate choice by PH so maybe it's going to be a VST release as well which might make more sense.
If they will do a series just like with the guitarists I hope each of them will have something unique besides GUI and samples e.g. different FX.
    
Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Ermitage
Posts: 75
Joined: 21 Apr 2018

Post 14 Jun 2018

Should've called it Squeeze.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6354
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 14 Jun 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
14 Jun 2018
EnochLight wrote:
13 Jun 2018
I've spent some time with it, and coupled with Drum Sequencer Player, I'm finding it a blast to use. The library included is pretty damn good, and each preset comes with a Drum Sequencer counterpart. If I had any complaint, it's that I have to advance both presets - one at a time - while browsing through. This is something that Sonic Charge's Microtonic does much better (as the drum sequencer, being "built in", advances the patterns when you change presets). Still, this thing sounds fantastic, looks great IMHO, and might just find a spot in my rack.
Surely having the Drum Seq patches separate from the Umpf patches is better? As in oh I like this Drum Seq pattern and I liked that other Umpf patch if they were as one you will end having to copy\replicate stuff over, this way you don't have to...
and if someone has written a specific pattern to a specific Umpf patch then that can be saved in a Combinator?
Not from an “auditioning presets” perspective - it’s clunky and a pain in the ass (compared to Microtonic or even Redrum, where the patterns are saved within the patches). Having to click between two devices? Ugh.

Maybe someone will put the effort in someday and save each one in a Combi so they can be previewed easier.

But yeah - it’s cool you can mix and match patterns to any preset kit you want. That’s literally the only plus with this setup.
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

chrischrischris
Posts: 179
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: UK

Post 14 Jun 2018

fieldframe wrote:
13 Jun 2018
chrischrischris wrote:
13 Jun 2018
Hi,

Should "UNDO" be happening every time You touch "A Pad"? This seems unnesessary.

ie Change Volume Of Pad, Click Pad To Listen to changes, Then You have to press Undo twice to revert back.
Once to "UNDO" The Pressing Of The Pad And Once to UNDO The Volume Change.

Thanks in advance

Chris
This is a gap in the SDK that really should have been addressed when 2.5 added changeable panels. The problem is that Reason doesn't differentiate between controls that change something in the current patch (like a filter cutoff) and controls that change the current view (like clicking a pad). Expanse has the same problem; changing which oscillator you're editing counts as an undoable action, when it probably shouldn't.


Ah right okay. Thanks. Yeah, The Drum Sequencer does this as well!

Anyway, I saw this, Thought it was an insta buy even at that price. Tried it. Hated it. Definitely not A Redrum 2 Or Kong 2.
I still wish that there was better functionality in existing devices but this is a step down from anything that already exists. My Opinion Of Course;)

Thanks

Chris
- Ryzen 1800X - ASUS B350M-A - 16GB Corsair c15 - Samsung Evo 960 M.2 -
- Presonus Firestudio Project - Roland DS90A - Roland DS5 - Roland RH300 -
- Privia PX160 - Trigger Finger Pro - Numark Orbit -
- Windows 10 - Reason 10.1 - RE - VST -

User avatar
buddard
RE Developer
Posts: 843
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stockholm

Post 14 Jun 2018

fieldframe wrote:
13 Jun 2018
chrischrischris wrote:
13 Jun 2018
Hi,

Should "UNDO" be happening every time You touch "A Pad"? This seems unnesessary.

ie Change Volume Of Pad, Click Pad To Listen to changes, Then You have to press Undo twice to revert back.
Once to "UNDO" The Pressing Of The Pad And Once to UNDO The Volume Change.

Thanks in advance

Chris
This is a gap in the SDK that really should have been addressed when 2.5 added changeable panels. The problem is that Reason doesn't differentiate between controls that change something in the current patch (like a filter cutoff) and controls that change the current view (like clicking a pad). Expanse has the same problem; changing which oscillator you're editing counts as an undoable action, when it probably shouldn't.
This is almost correct, but not entirely. I'll try and clarify as much as possible without overstepping the NDA.

It's true that you can make it so that properties that only affect the view are left out of the undo history.

However, the trigger pad can not be represented by such a property, since it also has to tell the DSP code to play back the corresponding sound.
Here's where the unfortunate SDK limitation comes into play. They could probably have gotten around it by skipping the visualizations on the trigger pads, but they probably decided that the usefulness of that feature outweighs the slight discomfort of having the pad presses ending up in the undo history -- I say "slight discomfort", because at least 99 times out of 100 I think you will be triggering Umpf via MIDI or CV rather than by using the trigger pads.

antic604

Post 14 Jun 2018

Some people commented that the look / design of the Ompf suggest VST is coming. Why? What's the tell signs?

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6354
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 14 Jun 2018

antic604 wrote:
14 Jun 2018
Some people commented that the look / design of the Ompf suggest VST is coming. Why? What's the tell signs?
Yeah I don't get that at all. I mean, I think it looks great - but that alone does not indicate it would be ported to a VST. Not to mention, without Reason's Drum Sequencer Player, it loses half its charm, IMHO.

I think there's just a lot of excitement since Europa VST appeared. Suddenly a lot of people think the flood gates are open for Props porting products to VST, but I just don't see that at all. YMMV.
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
QVprod
Moderator
Posts: 2515
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 14 Jun 2018

WillyOD wrote:
14 Jun 2018
To me the naming just feels like they will have slight "genre variations" of this RE for sale in the future. Which makes me sad.

tiker01 wrote:
14 Jun 2018
If they will do a series just like with the guitarists I hope each of them will have something unique besides GUI and samples e.g. different FX.
Doubtful. It'd be pointless selling genre based versions of a drum sampler that loads samples.

User avatar
Noplan
Posts: 684
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Cologne, Germany

Post 14 Jun 2018

Is UMPF a Genre?

botnotbot
Posts: 288
Joined: 26 Oct 2017

Post 14 Jun 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
14 Jun 2018
EnochLight wrote:
13 Jun 2018
I've spent some time with it, and coupled with Drum Sequencer Player, I'm finding it a blast to use. The library included is pretty damn good, and each preset comes with a Drum Sequencer counterpart. If I had any complaint, it's that I have to advance both presets - one at a time - while browsing through. This is something that Sonic Charge's Microtonic does much better (as the drum sequencer, being "built in", advances the patterns when you change presets). Still, this thing sounds fantastic, looks great IMHO, and might just find a spot in my rack.
Surely having the Drum Seq patches separate from the Umpf patches is better? As in oh I like this Drum Seq pattern and I liked that other Umpf patch if they were as one you will end having to copy\replicate stuff over, this way you don't have to...
and if someone has written a specific pattern to a specific Umpf patch then that can be saved in a Combinator?
Exactly. I think it is super commendable that Props are taking a modular approach to this new phase of sequencing in the rack. They've provided enough tools to make it work the way EnochLight wants right now -- use a Combinator.

Yes, Combinators are old school, and we all want to see an upgraded attempt from Props. They are also still, unless I'm mistaken, basically Reason-in-pre-Combinator-versions available multiple times throughout the rack. With a modulation matrix whose capabilities both extended beyond* and extended infinitely** the CV capabilities of the rack.

Could it be that they are again working on a similar coup? A new version of Reason that is able to host old versions of Reason in itself via a Combinator 2 style interface.

Anyway, plenty of old guard types grumping about this. Same people who will whine when it gets included for free in Reason 11, I expect.

Only time will tell on both accounts.

----

* in terms of parameters
** in terms of making previously CV-inaccessible parameters available to CV

User avatar
miscend
Posts: 1554
Joined: 09 Feb 2015

Post 14 Jun 2018

exxx wrote:
13 Jun 2018
Studio One's impact is included in the 4.0 update, and each drum sound is automatically routed to an individual mixer track.

However, PH puts out Kong2 like this 99

Please separate the effector from the instrument.

It's funny to connect the entire device to use Kong's effects.
If you read the Studio One 4 threads over at the other forums, many people are complaining at the inclusion of a drum machine saying it wasn't necessary when most users already have other options for drums. So at least Propellerhead's are giving their users a choice here, Kong and Redrum are already great options and many of us also have VSTs like Battery or Geist.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2465
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 14 Jun 2018

Undistraction wrote:
14 Jun 2018
I just think the price is crazy compared to a full version upgrade.
I think it's more a testament of how generous PH is with their upgrade pricing than it is any sort of indication they're making their RE instruments too pricey.

$99 is right in line with most of their other instruments.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6354
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 14 Jun 2018

I've decided to address my own primary complaint about UMPF and create Combi out of all 100 presets, along with their corresponding Drum Sequencer patterns loaded. I'll post the collection once I'm done. Makes auditioning the presets a lot funner, IMHO. :)
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

danc
Posts: 515
Joined: 14 Oct 2016

Post 14 Jun 2018

Noplan wrote:
14 Jun 2018
Is UMPF a Genre?
Don't think it's a genre... Asking the Urban Dictionary returns this...

umpf
Having strength or power.

Power, Strength, Energy, Might, Force, Potency, Ability, Excite
The car doesn't have enough umpf to get up the steep hill.
#power#strength#energy#might#force#potency#ability#excite
Creating, producing and mastering music in Reason 11 and Studio One 5 (WIndows).


User avatar
tiker01
Moderator
Posts: 1287
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 14 Jun 2018

EnochLight wrote:
14 Jun 2018
I've decided to address my own primary complaint about UMPF and create Combi out of all 100 presets, along with their corresponding Drum Sequencer patterns loaded. I'll post the collection once I'm done. Makes auditioning the presets a lot funner, IMHO. :)
Something PH should have done.

Perhaps LectricPanda could generate all the combinations?
    
Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1689
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 14 Jun 2018

Love that Panda. Does things cause he can. Genuine.

djadalaide
Posts: 217
Joined: 11 May 2018

Post 14 Jun 2018

If it comes with a free vst version i would consider buying it.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6354
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 14 Jun 2018

OK gang - here's a folder full of the 100 presets, each inside a Combi with the corresponding Drum Sequencer patterns setup. The only knob I programmed was pattern change to the first knob, so be sure to turn that fully to audition all patterns included in each preset.

Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2o57wxjcjdydh ... t.zip?dl=0

** Thanks to Reasonistas for posting the Combi skin!
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 4 guests