UMPF Club Drums RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

16 Jun 2018

danc wrote:
16 Jun 2018
esselfortium wrote:
16 Jun 2018

Try the S and M buttons ( :oops: ), in green next to the drum lanes' assigned notes.
Yes - I want to automate them. How do you do that???

PoohBear

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
T&T's viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909
My Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

BradfordMoeller

17 Jun 2018

It seems fantastic, but I am having the same issue that I have with the Drum Sequencer; it seems really strange to have only 8 slots for sounds. If both this, as well as the Drum Sequencer had 16, this would have been an instant purchase from me.
:reason:)))

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

17 Jun 2018

BradfordMoeller wrote:
17 Jun 2018
It seems fantastic, but I am having the same issue that I have with the Drum Sequencer; it seems really strange to have only 8 slots for sounds. If both this, as well as the Drum Sequencer had 16, this would have been an instant purchase from me.
What am I missing here, what is wrong with running 2 instances of each device to get you to your 16 slots?

danc

17 Jun 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
17 Jun 2018
What am I missing here, what is wrong with running 2 instances of each device to get you to your 16 slots?
Two issues - say I'm creating a drum pattern, I have to refer back and forth with to 2 different devices and add the notes in line with each one. Not a serious issue - but not ideal... And the second point... when it comes to automating which pattern is playing, I have to automate both and ensure that I trigger each one in sync. Just annoying to be honest. Especially... when all that was required was a scroll bar with some extra slots. Some REs allow you to sync two or more devices together... so that if you trigger a pattern with one, the other follows... but Drum Sequencer doesn't seem to have that option.

I am often going over 8. I know some people argue that "most people don't use more than 8, so it's designed for the majority". I'm glad it is... but then the majority could have never scrolled the list and bingo - we are all happy!
Last edited by danc on 17 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Check my Soundcloud:

jlgrimes

17 Jun 2018

Looks great. I hope their samplers get an GUI update like this.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

17 Jun 2018

danc wrote:
17 Jun 2018
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
17 Jun 2018
Two issues - say I'm creating a drum pattern, I have to refer back and forth with to 2 different devices and add the notes in line with each one. Not a serious issue - but not ideal... And the second point... when it comes to automating which pattern is playing, I have to automate both and ensure that I trigger each one in sync. Just annoying to be honest. Especially... when all that was required was a scroll bar with some extra slots. Some REs allow you to sync two or more devices together... so that if you trigger a pattern with one, the other follows... but Drum Sequencer doesn't seem to have that option.

I am often going over 8. I know some people argue that "most people don't use more than 8, so it's designed for the majority". I'm glad it is... but then the majority could have never scrolled the list and bingo - we are all happy!
With regards to the first issue I would say it's better having 2 devices as you can see all the lanes at the same time if you had to scroll then surely you will be scrolling back and forth to get things in line.

Writing to the main Seq., yep I can see that one being a pain and I like the idea that they should have allowed to daisy chain the devices together (pattern out, pattern in CV).

A workaround (yep another workaround) is to use the CV8x4 and CV select switch to control the pattern selection, this could be use to control as many Drum Seq patterns as you want and then just writing to once to the main Seq. to select the pattern.

groggy1

24 Jun 2018

Ok, I tried it out today, and here's my thoughts...

This actually solves a problem for me (albeit a small one). I only use Kong to load samples only, I never used the other generators. But one thing that always annoyed me is that each time I drag a new sample into the Kong pad, it reset some vital parameters (like % velocity sensitivity). Now, I could avoid this in Kong by opening up the little sample area on the bottom, and using the OPEN button to open a new sample instead. BUT, it was so much nicer to just drag samples onto the pads. ...And I just got used to it: Each time I loaded a new sample, I went and fixed-up all the parameters that got reset.

Now, with Umpf, it lets me drag new samples in, but doesn't reset all of the various params associated with the sample. EXACTLY what I wanted!

Um, I would have liked getting that small fix for less than $100, that's for sure. :)

Anyway, overall, Umpf does exactly what I want: A bank of samples to trigger, and wonderful of-course in-conjunction with the Drum Player.

One more thought: It's SOOO nice to be able to create a Combinator with Drum Player and Umpf saved into it. And I have Microtoniq, which I really only use for kick drum - so very easy to save that into the Combinator too, and use gate on one of the slots to trigger it. I use a Mixer to sum the output from Umph and Microtoniq. And since I have a mixer, what a GREAT way to setup Send-effects of Reverb and Delay. So all-in-all, it's just SOOO wonderful to get this all setup in a Combinator and save it with my favorite VST Reverb, etc. ****We seriously are spoiled in Reason.****

jlgrimes

24 Jun 2018

Ejectzero wrote:
15 Jun 2018
I wish Props would've focussed on updating and modifying the core reason products. Instead of a new drum computer, update Redrum and Kong and release in R11 and also release in VST format. I haven't even gotten through all the drum and loop supply refills upon updating to R10 on release day.
I also wish we could see a Thor 2 /Subtractor 2 / Malstrom 2 with a more modern interface.
All those half rack units also need to improve. I hope I am not wrong in this, but they just sound cheap these days.

Sorry for the rant..

I hope though this is a sign on what's in store for Reason 11.

Uumf + Drum sequencer is almost close to a Redrum 2.

Probably with GUI enhancements, I can see them using this technology for Redrum 2.

Even the UMFF sampler, I can see them kind of revamping NN19 to give it a built in Wave editor with some decent effects.

Drum sequencer is a breath of fresh air as I am learning it more. If it did more than 16 steps, this would have blown alot of stuff out of water but Im guessing it is limited maybe because they are trying to redo the Rack concept to probably give wider views of GUIs and maybe even some type of Rack zooming concept.

mind2069

24 Jun 2018

Here's my thougths

Very good looking, actually my fave GUI from PH

Enhancements I would make

- mute solo buttons more visible

- Break ins, I mean we are so close since the break outs are already there, would be nice to process a line with outer effects and come back in for the final mix.

- If no break ins, at least put a reverb, compressor, and 2 or 3 bands parametric eq in the effects section, most of the time the snare will use another reverb than lets say the kick.

cognitive

24 Jun 2018

I'm enjoying Umpf in conjunction with the Drum Sequencer. I find it very inspirational.

It's a nice change and has a streamlining effect on my usual workflow. I'm building a new catalog of dance tracks and I can use the boost.

I will add that the included Umpf presets (including new Drum Sequencer patches) are already giving me a lot of new song ideas. Many of the grooves and sounds feel very current, like what I'm hearing in the LA scene right now. Props to the Props on that.

I, too, would like to see longer patterns and additional sample/trigger slots, but I'm still able to seriously get a groove on with what's there and can always add devices in a combinator if I really need to do do so.

Price is a little stiff, but in time saved and added inspiration, I think it will be worth it.

Data_Shrine

24 Jun 2018

EnochLight wrote:
16 Jun 2018
Data_Shrine wrote:
16 Jun 2018
My 1st thoughts are.. pretty high price for a sample player with some effects.
It's not just a sample player, though - it's also a sampler. You also get the new Drum Sequencer Player included.
But isn't Redrum also a sampler ? We can record audio directly in it. I already got the Drum Seq when it was free.

Biolumin3sc3nt

24 Jun 2018

cognitive wrote:
24 Jun 2018
I'm enjoying Umpf in conjunction with the Drum Sequencer. I find it very inspirational.

It's a nice change and has a streamlining effect on my usual workflow. I'm building a new catalog of dance tracks and I can use the boost.

I will add that the included Umpf presets (including new Drum Sequencer patches) are already giving me a lot of new song ideas. Many of the grooves and sounds feel very current, like what I'm hearing in the LA scene right now. Props to the Props on that.

I, too, would like to see longer patterns and additional sample/trigger slots, but I'm still able to seriously get a groove on with what's there and can always add devices in a combinator if I really need to do do so.

Price is a little stiff, but in time saved and added inspiration, I think it will be worth it.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Quick inspiration, and nice samps are sometimes more useful and thought provoking than tweaking things forever. This is where i feel UMPF strongly excels at. Sometimes ya just wanna "Get er' Done" and go with the vibe. I probably would have bought it, but there were so many flash sales/ summer sales I was easily overwhelmed.

jlgrimes

25 Jun 2018

Umpf needs a better name though.

It is only a 4 letter word and I am having a hard time spelling it.

I keep spelling either UMFF or umph

cognitive

25 Jun 2018

Wow, that was fun.

In just a couple of hours this afternoon, I used Drum Sequencer and UMPF to slap together the rhythmic foundations for an hour-long live dance music set. I have all the core devices set up including a dozen Drum Sequencer/UMPF combinators, and have basic placeholder pattern change automation drawn out for all of them, plus automated crossfades and other transitions to move from song to song.

There is quite a bit of work left to make it all "musical" with better more varied grooves and kits, as well as additional melodic instruments and sounds. Plus, I plan on leaving space and controls for live keyboard and DJ-type performance.

But sometimes half the battle of a daunting task (an hour's worth of new music) is just getting started. Having a framework on which to hang that hour's worth of music in such a short time is pretty darned cool. My typical workflow has always been song by song, so it's fun that UMPF inspired me to try a different approach.

VariableX

26 Jun 2018

I like UMPF but cant justify dropping $135 (aus) on it especially since I am very new to Reason and have already dropped a fortune on Reason itself and the May madness sales.
But something just dawned on me, its a bit cheeky but I can save off all the drum patterns and use them even after the trial period is over? Which is kinda like a nice little freebee :-)

PinkSlime

26 Jun 2018

The saturation is great on this one. I spent the weekend mapping fav redrum+kong patches to umpf. The reverb and subtle randomization also add spice. I am not big on the compressor as little goes too far for my taste. But the saturation at 17%-20% (transistor) and 50% dry wet is really excellent on most material

antic604

26 Jun 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
16 Jun 2018
Thanks for this, but I hate inconsistencies like that in any program... :(

If there's an option to do something, it should be available in every place you'd conceivably think to look for it, not just in one... It's similar to using Combinator to control some things or the fact, that automation sometimes moves the sliders / knobs and sometimes doesn't.

EnochLight

26 Jun 2018

antic604 wrote:
26 Jun 2018
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
16 Jun 2018

If there's an option to do something, it should be available in every place you'd conceivably think to look for it, not just in one... It's similar to using Combinator to control some things or the fact, that automation sometimes moves the sliders / knobs and sometimes doesn't.
Alas, we've been working with Reason "work arounds" for 18 years. It's sort of par for the course. :D
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

26 Jun 2018

antic604 wrote:
26 Jun 2018
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
16 Jun 2018

Automation always moves the control, as does the Combinator.
CV never moves the control, it moves the "parameter" behind the control.
Selig Audio, LLC

antic604

26 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
26 Jun 2018
Automation always moves the control, as does the Combinator.
Right! That was something that caught me off guard - when I was applying Pulsar LFO to Subtractor's filter directly (via CV cables) it wouldn't move, but when done via Combi's programmer it would. I could never wrap my head around this :D

I wish it would be possible to add "rings" around parameters to show the modulation that's happening "behind the scenes" in relation to currently set value, like many VSTs do or how Bitwig does it:

Muzicpro

28 Jun 2018

I’m demoing Umpf and last week just upgraded to Reason 10. I was able to download the new Drum Sequencer for free regardless of if I wind up buying Umpf or not.
Dave
LA based producer/Mixer
4 Room studio with tuned (by Bob Hodas) Control Room
Logic X, DP9, PT11, Reason 10, Apogee, NEVE, API
http://dbwproductions.com
http://facebook.com/dbwproductions

jimmyklane

28 Jun 2018

Does this really matter for somebody that owns Maschine and it’s huge library (and add-ons) of incredible content???

More and more I suspect that it doesn’t really matter as long as you’re able to make big, powerful drums when called upon to do so...
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

bik44

29 Jun 2018

Here is Geist 2 promo https://www.jrrshop.com/fxpansion-geist which is good alternative I think [emoji3]

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

EnochLight

29 Jun 2018

bik44 wrote:
29 Jun 2018
Here is Geist 2 promo https://www.jrrshop.com/fxpansion-geist which is good alternative I think [emoji3]

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk
That's so weird... UMPF looks much, much better than Geist 2, IMHO. I had to squint just to see Geist's GUI/UX. I never thought I'd see the day where Rack Extensions look noticeably better than VST! :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

bik44

29 Jun 2018

EnochLight wrote:
29 Jun 2018

That's so weird... UMPF looks much, much better than Geist 2, IMHO. I had to squint just to see Geist's GUI/UX. I never thought I'd see the day where Rack Extensions look noticeably better than VST! :lol:
Oh, you're right. Additionally, this interface works badly. It seems to me that it is written in java. Do not waste time and do not install it. I dumped after two hours :)

• Information