Aquios X4 Workstation ROM is on sale

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Michaellos

05 Jun 2018

So, Aquios X4 Workstation ROM is 19 bucks at the moment. https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... ation-rom/ Is it worth ? Does anybody work with it, any opinions, impressions ?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2018

Well, thanks to you I just instant bought it despite saying I wouldn’t buy any more stuff. Thanks 😂
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jimmyklane

05 Jun 2018

$119 to $19? That's one heck of a price-drop!!!
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

Loque

05 Jun 2018

I won't make the same mistake as I did with Aeon. Here I can remember, that i had only bad words in my mind while I trialed it... I skip this.
Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2018

I haven't tried this one, but I own Hydronexious which I hardly ever use.

Judging from the demos of Aquios I can tell this RE most likely isn't for me. Personally I'd rather spend money on other synths. Except for some Skrock synths I have a hard time with most sample based synths. They just don't sound as good to me.
Legend, FM4, Parsec, Noise Engineering synths, Expanse, Zero. I prefer the sound of all of these over Hydronexious at least.

But hey if you like the sound of Aquios, go for it. But I personally wouldn't buy it just because it's cheap.
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 05 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Michaellos

05 Jun 2018

Loque wrote:
05 Jun 2018
I won't make the same mistake as I did with Aeon. Here I can remember, that i had only bad words in my mind while I trialed it... I skip this.
Well, I guess Aquios X4 is not bad, I remember as I trialed it last April - it has some really nice patches. I think it sounds better than Hydronexius, which was a kind of instant buy at that time and which I have used not so much. So, I'm trying to realize, do I really need this, since I have some great Re's and Vst's. Of course, it should't be purchased just because it's cheap at the moment.

FLVZ

06 Jun 2018

Loque wrote:
05 Jun 2018
I don't think this is a fair comparison, AX4 is a good instrument quite deep, the patches are layered so you have far more flexibility than with the AEON stuff. At this price, no regrets will be made, I think this instrument would be great for a song starter or finisher. I tried to resist but think I'll have to jump on this offer, I managed to keep away from May madness so I can feel good about my self control for that :lol: .

Loque

06 Jun 2018

Flavolous wrote:
06 Jun 2018
Loque wrote:
05 Jun 2018
I don't think this is a fair comparison, AX4 is a good instrument quite deep, the patches are layered so you have far more flexibility than with the AEON stuff. At this price, no regrets will be made, I think this instrument would be great for a song starter or finisher. I tried to resist but think I'll have to jump on this offer, I managed to keep away from May madness so I can feel good about my self control for that :lol: .
Feel free to report your experience after you purchased. Mine was through the test phase like "mehhh, sounds thin...cheap...old...no thanks".
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2018

Loque wrote:
06 Jun 2018
Flavolous wrote:
06 Jun 2018

Feel free to report your experience after you purchased. Mine was through the test phase like "mehhh, sounds thin...cheap...old...no thanks".
I agree...Aeon was total crap. Really awful. Saying that, Hydronexius was pretty cool for €19 and so is Aquios. I know I only bought them ‘cos they were cheap. (Call it a sickness if you will). But if you look at them as refills or whatever they’re pretty good....for €19 in any case 😂
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

FLVZ

07 Jun 2018

Loque wrote:
06 Jun 2018

To be honest if someone was looking for something thin, cheap and old sounding this is probably not the RE I'd recommend for them, but I think you can make anything sound thin cheap and old as well as make anything sound wide, rich and modern. I decided to film myself cycling through some settings so you can come to your own conclusions. I quite like the instrument, I can imagine it featuring in most projects because of the diverse pallet of sounds available.

01:00 Bells
05:15 Brass
10:20 Plucks
11:22 Strings
14:20 Polysynths
15:30 Pianos & Keys
16:40 Choirs

Boombastix
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2018

Can it do anything that AIR Xpand2 cannot?

After all, Xpand lets you pick any sound you want to layer up, 4 in total, and a huge amount of sounds to mix and match it has.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

cytasis

08 Jun 2018

I bought it for 19 bucks and iam very happy with this thing. It doesnt sound cheap or weak for me and it all depends of course, when you know how to make the stereo field wider its no problem at all.
Layering sounds with aquios is also possible (why not) and you even get the sound you want (layering with reason stock devices works very well:), but you have a good base and start point.
Even for athmosphere and so on, its normal to tweak the instrument to fit well in the mix, why do people always complain that an instrument must blast them away on its own with every patches in the soundbank? I really love to tweak things and thats why iam using reason, when i want fast mixes i get me bunch of samplebanks, they´re "pre-mixed"^^.

I like it and i will get hydronexius as well in a sale, but now iam feeded for a while:)

jimmyklane

08 Jun 2018

cytasis wrote:
08 Jun 2018
Even for athmosphere and so on, its normal to tweak the instrument to fit well in the mix, why do people always complain that an instrument must blast them away on its own with every patches in the soundbank?
THIS is a very valid point. That absolutely huge powerful, sizzling 12-voice supersaw patch that sounds so damn impressive is going to clog your mix, sucking up bandwidth and volume as well as most likely sound flat and sort of “dual mono” as it’s spread wide. You’ll have to HP it to let your bass and kick through, and possibly LP it to allow for your melody and topline to come through, and by now you’ve pared it way back.

As you may have read, I’ve got a personal issue with ROMplers....they are preset machines for the most part and with preset waves (as opposed to live modeled VA oscillators) you are limited to what the developer gives you. If you really like ROMplers, I submit that you’ll LOVE a sampler. Picking up something like an Akai S6000 or Emu E4XT (they sell for peanuts now, and we’re originally thousands of dollars) will give you way more options and possibilities than NNXT or NN19, and you can use any waveform(s) you want to craft a sound. The newest samplers don’t color your sound at all so you can bring them back (most have a SPDIF or even ADAT option) into the computer and apply whatever VST effects you want to get any sound you can imagine.

I know I can sometimes sound like a broken record: “go buy a sampler, you’ll thank me later” etc etc.... however if you’re considering Workstation software like this I think you’re better served in building your own pallete of sound(s) from your own sources. it’s not just the hardware synths that I sample, I sample stuff like Grain, Europa, uHe’s Repro, Makstrom, and Thor all the time....

Well, there’s my $0.02, do with it what you will, but a single piece of hardware can make a ton of difference in your workflow and therefore provide some inspiration for your music!

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

cytasis

08 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
08 Jun 2018
cytasis wrote:
08 Jun 2018
Even for athmosphere and so on, its normal to tweak the instrument to fit well in the mix, why do people always complain that an instrument must blast them away on its own with every patches in the soundbank?
Well, there’s my $0.02, do with it what you will, but a single piece of hardware can make a ton of difference in your workflow and therefore provide some inspiration for your music!
Sure, it all depends and when you know what youre doing i think you can get most out of this "sampler workstation". You have a bit of flexibility with that, more than with only samples as .wav.
And for the Inpsiration thing, i get my inspiration from all kinds of music, hardware or software based, it doesnt matter for me:), But i get your point, Playing with hardware samplers are always fun too!! and i think i get my one or 5 in the future :D

United South

08 Jun 2018

Boombastix wrote:
08 Jun 2018

After all, Xpand lets you pick any sound you want to layer up, 4 in total, and a huge amount of sounds to mix and match it has.
Xpand2 sounds cheap to me so I deleted it off my computer,imo this Re sounds a lot better.

United South

08 Jun 2018

Flavolous wrote:
07 Jun 2018
Loque wrote:
06 Jun 2018

To be honest if someone was looking for something thin, cheap and old sounding this is probably not the RE I'd recommend for them, but I think you can make anything sound thin cheap and old as well as make anything sound wide, rich and modern. I decided to film myself cycling through some settings so you can come to your own conclusions. I quite like the instrument, I can imagine it featuring in most projects because of the diverse pallet of sounds available.

As hip hop heads we are looking for quality and realistic sounding instruments for our productions from Romplers. Most people on this forum are EDM producers so they're looking for some super saw synth to make a wobble,so they don't see the power in both of DNA Labs RE.

I bought a ton of synths that don't get used ie Expanse,Avenger,Harmor vst and got more in Komplete Massive,FM8 etc.. I will never listen to an EDM producer again about synths or Romplers because what we need are so different. I need realistic bass and brass for soulful tracks they don't. I need nice trap arp sounds they don't. I need gritty keys and synths they don't.

This really is a good Re for hip hop, R n B, soul or trap producers but you're looking for the next 2 oscillator super saw synth to make a wobble this is not for you.

jimmyklane

08 Jun 2018

United South wrote:
08 Jun 2018
Flavolous wrote:
07 Jun 2018

As hip hop heads we are looking for quality and realistic sounding instruments for our productions from Romplers. Most people on this forum are EDM producers so they're looking for some super saw synth to make a wobble,so they don't see the power in both of DNA Labs RE.

I bought a ton of synths that don't get used ie Expanse,Avenger,Harmor vst and got more in Komplete Massive,FM8 etc.. I will never listen to an EDM producer again about synths or Romplers because what we need are so different. I need realistic bass and brass for soulful tracks they don't. I need nice trap arp sounds they don't. I need gritty keys and synths they don't.

This really is a good Re for hip hop, R n B, soul or trap producers but you're looking for the next 2 oscillator super saw synth to make a wobble this is not for you.
I’ve provided tracks for hip hop producers for years. I get what you’re saying about “realistic” sounds. It’s why I own a room full of samplers. An example would be the Ensoniq used by Kanye West, or the MPC used by lots and lots of hip hop producers. The SP-1200 with its grit and grime, or the EMU with all of the sample RAM needed for strings, brass, bass, and leads all in the same box.

I know some producers like the Roland JV/JD boxes, which are ROMplers, but I am simply of the opinion that you can be more creative with a real sampler than you can with ANY ROMpler.

My music now isn’t about supersaws or any of that rehashed and recycled crap....I make original sounds from scratch for every track. What a ROMpler DOES do for you is allow you to dial up a quick sound and use it for when inspiration strikes....which of course is why I’ve got a few thousand patches saved for my samplers, and hundreds of floppies for the SP.

I respect your opinion, but my own workflow is used by rap producers as well....still using hardware to create mega-hit beats and tracks

QVprod

08 Jun 2018

United South wrote:
08 Jun 2018
Boombastix wrote:
08 Jun 2018

Xpand2 sounds cheap to me so I deleted it off my computer,imo this Re sounds a lot better.
What? Xpand2! is amazing. You gotta layer to get the most out of it though that's what the 4 slots are for. Most of the presets seem to only use one slot for some reason though so if you're not one who layers sounds then I can see how the potential of Xpand2 can be missed. The sonic potential is pretty much equal to this RE but with the benefit of being able to choose what sounds go into which of the 4 slots which is a drawback of Aquios.
United South wrote:
08 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
08 Jun 2018

I’ve provided tracks for hip hop producers for years. I get what you’re saying about “realistic” sounds. It’s why I own a room full of samplers. An example would be the Ensoniq used by Kanye West, or the MPC used by lots and lots of hip hop producers. The SP-1200 with its grit and grime, or the EMU with all of the sample RAM needed for strings, brass, bass, and leads all in the same box.

I know some producers like the Roland JV/JD boxes, which are ROMplers, but I am simply of the opinion that you can be more creative with a real sampler than you can with ANY ROMpler.

My music now isn’t about supersaws or any of that rehashed and recycled crap....I make original sounds from scratch for every track. What a ROMpler DOES do for you is allow you to dial up a quick sound and use it for when inspiration strikes....which of course is why I’ve got a few thousand patches saved for my samplers, and hundreds of floppies for the SP.

I respect your opinion, but my own workflow is used by rap producers as well....still using hardware to create mega-hit beats and tracks
I think there's an overall balance. Romplers such as the Roland JV stuff actually have quite a bit of sound design capabilities. You're not just locked into presets. Synths are useful for getting... well synth sounds that often don't sounds as great from romplers. Plus more control of tweaking the sound. Sampler for doing creative things in general...ie... chopping, resynthesizing...etc... I personally see little purpose in hardware samplers nowadays outside of personal preference, but there are occasions where I might throw something into an NNXT or Kontakt.

United South

08 Jun 2018

QVprod wrote:
08 Jun 2018
United South wrote:
08 Jun 2018

What? Xpand2! is amazing. You gotta layer to get the most out of it though that's what the 4 slots are for. Most of the presets seem to only use one slot for some reason though so if you're not one who layers sounds then I can see how the potential of Xpand2 can be missed. The sonic potential is pretty much equal to this RE but with the benefit of being able to choose what sounds go into which of the 4 slots which is a drawback of Aquios.
United South wrote:
08 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
08 Jun 2018

I think there's an overall balance. Romplers such as the Roland JV stuff actually have quite a bit of sound design capabilities. You're not just locked into presets. Synths are useful for getting... well synth sounds that often don't sounds as great from romplers. Plus more control of tweaking the sound. Sampler for doing creative things in general...ie... chopping, resynthesizing...etc... I personally see little purpose in hardware samplers nowadays outside of personal preference, but there are occasions where I might throw something into an NNXT or Kontakt.
I feel you on Xpand2 but it just didn't excite me enough to keep it. With a dwindling HD and with the choices of keeping Komplete ultimate 11,Heatup2,Halion 6 package, along with both DNA Labs Re and all the trap refills I let it go,I think I paid 1$ for it and it sounded like it to me. So Xpand2 was expendable and the lessor of all of those imo so it had to go.

I agree with you about hardware samplers though.

United South

08 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
08 Jun 2018
United South wrote:
08 Jun 2018

I'm lost what's your point? Are you agreeing that you use "ROMplers" as well like me?

Regarding using 20 year old samplers I agree it's up to the User to create hits on software or hardware,but it's a fact software is more flexible with sample editing. I can't even give old samplers the win for their grit on samples anymore because the gap between hardware and software are closing. IMO people who still use hardware samplers only like working hard and hate change. Hardware samplers can do nothing better than software samplers period.

jimmyklane

08 Jun 2018

United South wrote:
08 Jun 2018

I'm lost what's your point? Are you agreeing that you use "ROMplers" as well like me?

NO. I don’t own any. I dislike them.

Regarding using 20 year old samplers I agree it's up to the User to create hits on software or hardware,but it's a fact software is more flexible with sample editing. I can't even give old samplers the win for their grit on samples anymore because the gap between hardware and software are closing. IMO people who still use hardware samplers only like working hard and hate change. Hardware samplers can do nothing better than software samplers period.
You can disagree with me all you want dude, but while software has gone leaps and bounds forward in creating VA synths that sound analog, it hasn’t come CLOSE in reproducing “vintage digital”. Software samplers don’t have a sound, period. I’ve got all the toys: Morgana, Decimort2, Decimator, all sorts of sample rate and bit reduction plugins. I own Kontakt, and it’s great for scoring when I need big, clean string arrangements. The fact remains that for having a unique and distinctive sound software samplers simply don’t cut it. It could be done....but nobody has put the resources into it.

I get that you’ve invested your money into software and really really want to believe it’s as good as hardware, but I’m sorry I just don’t think you’re correct in your assessment.

United South

08 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
08 Jun 2018
United South wrote:
08 Jun 2018

NO. I don’t own any. I dislike them.

You can disagree with me all you want dude, but while software has gone leaps and bounds forward in creating VA synths that sound analog, it hasn’t come CLOSE in reproducing “vintage digital”. Software samplers don’t have a sound, period. I’ve got all the toys: Morgana, Decimort2, Decimator, all sorts of sample rate and bit reduction plugins. I own Kontakt, and it’s great for scoring when I need big, clean string arrangements. The fact remains that for having a unique and distinctive sound software samplers simply don’t cut it. It could be done....but nobody has put the resources into it.

I get that you’ve invested your money into software and really really want to believe it’s as good as hardware, but I’m sorry I just don’t think you’re correct in your assessment.
Straight bullsheit lol if we're are talking hardware synths maybe but you mentioned hardware samplers though and it's a fact that Decimort2 can recreate the 12 bit grit and more for digital samplers or close enough to the point nobody gives a sheit. It's won awards for it so I will believe the old school legends and professionals instead of some dude who thinks he is holding on to some secret sound.

You wasted your money imo on those relics that can't compete with software period,you can keep lying to yourself about all you want.

jimmyklane

08 Jun 2018

United South wrote:
08 Jun 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
08 Jun 2018

Straight bullsheit lol if we're are talking hardware synths maybe but you mentioned hardware samplers though and it's a fact that Decimort2 can recreate the 12 bit grit and more for digital samplers or close enough to the point nobody gives a sheit. It's won awards for it so I will believe the old school legends and professionals instead of some dude who thinks he is holding on to some secret sound.

You wasted your money imo on those relics that can't compete with software period,you can keep lying to yourself about all you want.
Congratulations. You’ve been promoted to my block list.

United South

08 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
08 Jun 2018
United South wrote:
08 Jun 2018

Congratulations. You’ve been promoted to my block list.
Wow having a friendly debate about music gear and dude gets pissed???

jimmyklane

08 Jun 2018

United South wrote:
08 Jun 2018

You wasted your money imo on those relics that can't compete with software period,you can keep lying to yourself about all you want

Nothing that friendly about what you’re saying here friend. You’ve told me that I’ve wasted years of time and tens of thousands of dollars buying my instruments. In addition, you were attempting to tear me down, but only really gave the opinion that “software samplers are easier to use”. I’ll say FOR YOU. I’m willing to bet that I can make a drum kit quicker on my MPC than you can in Kong. I chop and loop my samples BY EAR, and they never click or pop. You just don’t hear loop-points in my sounds.

THAT SAID...

Decimort 2 is fantastic. It’s got an EPS preset....that sounds NOTHING LIKE a real EPS.... I’ve even taken a few hours trying to tweak it to get as close as possible. It’s grimy, but it’s not THE SAME.

I’ve got a huge room full of classic synths (poly and mono) and classic samplers. I also still use a mixer and outboard effects. I do this because I owned and operated a proper commercial facility here in Chicago. The instruments were part of the draw, as was the console and the vibe of the place. I kept almost everything when I sold the studio....it was the client book that made me the money, not the gear.

In any case, I can respect you if you’re making good music with tools I wouldn’t use. HOWEVER I ask you not to be a harass and tell me I’ve “wasted my money”...I’ve made 10x what all these synths and gear cost by using it for clients’ music.

I’d love to hear your music? I’m sure you’re an excellent musician and producer and just got rubbed the wrong way by me coming in here with all my talk of hardware.
Last edited by QVprod on 08 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response was accidentally included in quote

• Information