ColoringEQ Tutorial 01: basic applications

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
selig
RE Developer

26 May 2018

Hi all, here is the first in a series of tutorial videos showing some basic applications for the ColoringEQ.

Selig Audio, LLC

eusti

26 May 2018

Cool! Thanks for this, Giles! :)

D.

Loque

26 May 2018

Nice, thanks!

The mix sounds pretty clean. All EQing done with the EQs we have seen?
Reason12, Win10

MannequinRaces

26 May 2018

I’ve had the chance to play around more with ColoringEQ and I’m liking it a lot! Thanks for the video showing your use of it Giles. Looking forward to more videos. Also cool to see you in the flesh. Don’t think I’ve seen a video of you before!

jimmyklane

26 May 2018

selig wrote:
26 May 2018
Hi all, here is the first in a series of tutorial videos showing some basic applications for the ColoringEQ.

Nice video! I have some technical questions for you regarding your video, I'm going to PM you and when you have a moment to reply I'd be really grateful!!! As you know I'm attempting to create a series, and I would very much like them to be as polished as my mixes and songs....currently they are rank amateur!

Again, I think this is a great video, and a solid selling/marketing solution for you as well, showing real-world use cases.
well done!
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

selig
RE Developer

26 May 2018

Loque wrote:
26 May 2018
Nice, thanks!

Yes, just checking I see two tracks with HPF from the SSL (the African perc loop "Baga Gine" and the lower harmony played on Ngoni). Otherwise no other EQs.
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

26 May 2018

selig wrote:
26 May 2018
Loque wrote:
26 May 2018
Nice, thanks!

Yes, just checking I see two tracks with HPF from the SSL (the African perc loop "Baga Gine" and the lower harmony played on Ngoni). Otherwise no other EQs.
Thx for the answer. Somehow I feel my mixes and mixing skills are still too bad to take advantage of your EQ. I got to give it a ride, when i can close my self away for one or two days...
Reason12, Win10

amcjen

26 May 2018

Really good intro to the new EQ Giles! These videos are super helpful to get a handle on how and where the RE should be used.

And looks like you're settled into LIC now too, great view. :)

selig
RE Developer

27 May 2018

amcjen wrote:Really good intro to the new EQ Giles! These videos are super helpful to get a handle on how and where the RE should be used.

And looks like you're settled into LIC now too, great view. :)
Just got my acoustic treatments up last week, now shooting a video to demonstrate the effect it has on the sound of the room. The space is basically a classic worst case scenario, almost a perfect cube. It’s 9 x 9.5 x 10.25 feet! The upside is that the room modes are obvious, the downside is they are more difficult to ever hope to eliminate. But they can be tamed and controlled to some degree and I have some nice graphics to illustrate the before/after effect of the treatments.
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

27 May 2018

Loque wrote:
selig wrote:
26 May 2018
Thx for the answer. Somehow I feel my mixes and mixing skills are still too bad to take advantage of your EQ. I got to give it a ride, when i can close my self away for one or two days...
I designed the EQ to be a great general purpose EQ and to compliment the SSL EQ. Meaning, the SSL EQ is great/quick for a lot of simple things, and the ColoringEQ can handle all the rest (including even more simple things like Tilt EQ and super wide/smooth curves, to more narrow curves and notches than you’ll likely ever need!

Hope you find it useful.

Selig Audio, LLC

Ostermilk

27 May 2018

This video is great!

A nice and up close bit of time with our ol' pal Giles.

Anyone that owns this RE already knows how much it makes you rethink how to use an EQ as a creative tool as well as out of necessity. I'm looking forward to the progression through these tutorials (being as this is labelled Tutorial 01.)

The one thing that comes across in this one though, is how cool it is to get to see something of the man and the introduction of his new habitat!

No pressure Selig, but this looks to me to become something of an unmissable series.

Fantastic share.

tanni

27 May 2018

Im searching for an EQ specially for increasing and sweetening Frequencies in a really nice, mellow and smooth way. Like an analog pultec or so....is this EQ able to do so ?
So, coloringEQ isnt an emulation from something or ? Can I get the same results as for example with softube plugins, maybe like the pultec ones ?
cutting Frequencies is often not the problem, but I find increasing sound often something like harsh with plugins.

Exowildebeest

27 May 2018

Best EQ I've ever used :) Easy enough to understand, despite its deep features. That's not to say you shouldn't do more tutorials, they're a pleasure to watch :)

Bumbum

27 May 2018

this is really cool tutorial! now its reallllly tempting to buy this......

selig
RE Developer

27 May 2018

tanni wrote:
27 May 2018
Im searching for an EQ specially for increasing and sweetening Frequencies in a really nice, mellow and smooth way. Like an analog pultec or so....is this EQ able to do so ?
So, coloringEQ isnt an emulation from something or ? Can I get the same results as for example with softube plugins, maybe like the pultec ones ?
cutting Frequencies is often not the problem, but I find increasing sound often something like harsh with plugins.
I can say "yes it can do this" (and I DO believe that it CAN), but better still you should try it yourself and see if it's right for you.

As for broad sweetening, the shelf EQs at their default settings are incredibly smooth and gentle. You can also try the parallel EQ combinators (ala "Kush" EQs) for even more subtle processing - this is not the same thing as EQ'ing a parallel channel, it's how the EQ bands are routed (parallel vs the traditional and far more common serial EQ routing).

Also note the vintage asymmetrical parametric types (1 & 2) have very wide boosts and more narrow cuts - even wider boosts by reducing Q into the negative range, up to an extreme 8-10 octave wide boost (nearly the entire spectrum). While a boost this wide isn't strictly necessary, when adding saturation it can be nice to have this option.

And while it's not trying to be a direct emulation of any one EQ, there are some presets for Pultec, SSL, and Neve EQs using their basic shapes as starting points (in the folder appropriately named "Starting Points").

Happy to answer any specific question that may arise as you give this EQ a spin!
Selig Audio, LLC

tanni

27 May 2018

selig wrote:
27 May 2018

Happy to answer any specific question that may arise as you give this EQ a spin!

Many thanks for your detailed answer. I will try the EQ out.

C//AZM

29 May 2018

This is really cool!!
I love that you're expressing the pitches in note names and frequency. That tune button is great as is the addition of resonance at the "knee". What a cool and useful tool. This is going to be a hit all over the place. I'm sure the other format aficionada will love this thing. Did I read somewhere that you have odd/even order harmonic control? was this in the saturation control or...?
Question please;
What controls the pitch in the note control section? In other words, how can I attenuate, or add gain to, say an A and later a B, then other notes accurately using the note control?

selig
RE Developer

29 May 2018

C//AZM wrote:This is really cool!!
I love that you're expressing the pitches in note names and frequency. That tune button is great as is the addition of resonance at the "knee". What a cool and useful tool. This is going to be a hit all over the place. I'm sure the other format aficionada will love this thing. Did I read somewhere that you have odd/even order harmonic control? was this in the saturation control or...?
Question please;
What controls the pitch in the note control section? In other words, how can I attenuate, or add gain to, say an A and later a B, then other notes accurately using the note control?
The Harmonics control is a cross fader between odd (default) and even harmonics). Odd harmonics sound best much of the time, but the option to blend between them is something I’ve always wanted (and wasn’t as easy as I had hoped - many thanks to those who suggested solutions during beta testing!).

Pitch is controlled either by CV Note/Gate data or by MIDI from the sequencer or a MIDI keyboard/controller.

Set the Tune control to E:64 on any band you want to control, and it will then respond accurately to any note input. So if you play an A above middle C, the frequency will be 440 Hz.

Gain can be controlled by velocity if desired, and is scaled by velocity according to the “Velocity” control on the back panel. For example, if you set gain to +12 dB, then a velocity of 127 will give you +12 dB, a velocity of 64 will give you +6 dB, and a velocity of 32 will give you +3 dB. In this mode (when the Gate button is engaged in the Note Control section) you will not hear any EQ until a note is received either via CV or MIDI input.

Make sense?

Selig Audio, LLC

normen

29 May 2018

Great video, thanks!

Just want to throw in that Coloring EQ is so cool that I‘ll need so much time for it that I can‘t afford to spend that amount of time at the moment :)

Ostermilk

02 Jun 2018

normen wrote:
29 May 2018

Just want to throw in that Coloring EQ is so cool that I‘ll need so much time for it that I can‘t afford to spend that amount of time at the moment :)
You may be wise there.

I just made some time to dig around and spent the best part of this week, finding out that this thing is pretty limitless in its possiblities.

normen

03 Jun 2018

Ostermilk wrote:
02 Jun 2018
normen wrote:
29 May 2018

You may be wise there.

I just made some time to dig around and spent the best part of this week, finding out that this thing is pretty limitless in its possiblities.
Dude you have no idea, I have a whole guitar Amp only based on ColoringEQ in a Combi - but the control is just too fine, it feels like always taking a step half the length of the remaining distance ;)

selig
RE Developer

03 Jun 2018

Tutorial #2 is up:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7507293
Selig Audio, LLC

jimmyklane

03 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
03 Jun 2018
Tutorial #2 is up:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7507293
You’re doing nice work here with these tutorials and I sincerely hope that you’re getting a boost to your sales because of all the effort you’re putting in.

I’m planning on getting it into the rack next week after finishing the build-out for my second desk.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

selig
RE Developer

03 Jun 2018

normen wrote:
03 Jun 2018
Ostermilk wrote:
02 Jun 2018

You may be wise there.

Dude you have no idea, I have a whole guitar Amp only based on ColoringEQ in a Combi - but the control is just too fine, it feels like always taking a step half the length of the remaining distance ;)
Hey - would love to see what you're up to! Sounds intriguing, certainly nothing I expected from the ColoringEQ. Am particularly interested in understanding the "control is just too fine" statement in an effort to see if any changes/improvements could be made in that area.
Selig Audio, LLC

normen

03 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
03 Jun 2018
normen wrote:
03 Jun 2018

Hey - would love to see what you're up to! Sounds intriguing, certainly nothing I expected from the ColoringEQ. Am particularly interested in understanding the "control is just too fine" statement in an effort to see if any changes/improvements could be made in that area.
Nah, I mean the control I have over the distortion / cruch / whatever you want to call it with the combi. I can‘t yet decide on how to map it to usable controls. Anyway thats what I mean with too few time ;)

• Information