Blamsoft Distributor.....Awesome!!!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
jimmyklane

25 May 2018

Distributor Patches.zip
(46.33 KiB) Downloaded 172 times

Hey everybody. I just got Blamsoft's Distributor and I wish I'd had it earlier. So easy to create more movement within a patch by chaining devices instead of just one. Admittedly, the patch I'm sharing here is a complete brute-force approach....8 Europa devices with two simple saw wave oscillators each, but panned in the stereo field like you can do with the old Oberheims.

If you've got Reason 10 and the Blamsoft Distributor, here is a simple patch that you can build upon. As it stands, it's a great classic polysynth pad sound. A little modulated reverb and you've got a really classic "carpet" to any song...

Here's the patch: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cuudh6mmg0jky ... s.cmb?dl=0

If you don't have Reason 10 or the Distributor RE, this patch wont work for you, but if you DO have the RE and are on an earlier version, please let me know and I'll recreate this patch using something like Thor or Subtractor!
Last edited by jimmyklane on 06 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

Loque

25 May 2018

Nothing to add except, get the Bundle for only 29.
Reason12, Win10

Catblack

25 May 2018

This patch sounds great. I find that testing something like your patch here with DJ Dark's Dual Arp patches is sonic gold to my ears. Thanks!
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

jimmyklane

25 May 2018

Loque wrote:
25 May 2018
I actually got Distributor first, and then ended up with the II bundle for $25....so I paid $34, but I think it was worth it. When I get new instruments or plugins, whatever, I like to explore them one by one to really get a handle on them. I use CV all the time for very simple tasks like modulation of EMIs but I have really never gotten a great handle on advanced techniques and I’m just now exploring things like the MIDI-CV converter. Distributor is special to me because it allows the concept of “voice cards” to be explored inside of Reason.

If you open up (especially vintage) an analog polysynth you’ll see multiple identical circuits, and being analog, they are not REALLY identical. The modern polysynths are mostly created with firm digital control over tuning, but when the tuning is not under that control or components drift over the years, you’ll get the same sort of results that I’ve tried to reproduce a bit in the patch example.

It’s still a digital replication of an analog phenomenon, but it does sound fairly organic and has a pleasing quality since I’ve done what I could to reproduce some instability within each device as well as altering the tuning and pan of each “voice card” randomly.

Hope those of you that can use it enjoy playing around and I’d really love to have your derivative patches posted here in this thread!

-Jim

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

jimmyklane

25 May 2018

Catblack wrote:
25 May 2018
This patch sounds great. I find that testing something like your patch here with DJ Dark's Dual Arp patches is sonic gold to my ears. Thanks!
Thanks! I’ll have to check out those patches for the dual arp. It’s a player that I pretty much never use because I most often use an arp on monosynth lines.

Loque

25 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
25 May 2018
Loque wrote:
25 May 2018
I actually got Distributor first, and then ended up with the II bundle for $25....so I paid $34, but I think it was worth it. When I get new instruments or plugins, whatever, I like to explore them one by one to really get a handle on them. I use CV all the time for very simple tasks like modulation of EMIs but I have really never gotten a great handle on advanced techniques and I’m just now exploring things like the MIDI-CV converter. Distributor is special to me because it allows the concept of “voice cards” to be explored inside of Reason.

If you open up (especially vintage) an analog polysynth you’ll see multiple identical circuits, and being analog, they are not REALLY identical. The modern polysynths are mostly created with firm digital control over tuning, but when the tuning is not under that control or components drift over the years, you’ll get the same sort of results that I’ve tried to reproduce a bit in the patch example.

It’s still a digital replication of an analog phenomenon, but it does sound fairly organic and has a pleasing quality since I’ve done what I could to reproduce some instability within each device as well as altering the tuning and pan of each “voice card” randomly.

Hope those of you that can use it enjoy playing around and I’d really love to have your derivative patches posted here in this thread!

-Jim
You checked out the refill of Blamsoft on their homepage for Polymodular? And i am sure, you already noticed that Movement is an LFO and an Oscialtor, which waveform can be manupilated quite free...

That devices are must-haves...The filter is great too!
Reason12, Win10

jimmyklane

25 May 2018

Loque wrote:
25 May 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
25 May 2018

-Jim
You checked out the refill of Blamsoft on their homepage for Polymodular? And i am sure, you already noticed that Movement is an LFO and an Oscialtor, which waveform can be manupilated quite free...

That devices are must-haves...The filter is great too!
Yeah, I bought distributor first, and five minutes later bought the “Polymodular II” set of RE’s

Catblack

25 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
25 May 2018
Hey everybody. I just got Blamsoft's Distributor and I wish I'd had it earlier. So easy to create more movement within a patch by chaining devices instead of just one. Admittedly, the patch I'm sharing here is a complete brute-force approach....8 Europa devices with two simple saw wave oscillators each, but panned in the stereo field like you can do with the old Oberheims.

If you've got Reason 10 and the Blamsoft Distributor, here is a simple patch that you can build upon. As it stands, it's a great classic polysynth pad sound. A little modulated reverb and you've got a really classic "carpet" to any song...

If you don't have Reason 10 or the Distributor RE, this patch wont work for you, but if you DO have the RE and are on an earlier version, please let me know and I'll recreate this patch using something like Thor or Subtractor!
If you are just picking up Polymodular, and into analog, check out Hydlide's Complex patch.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

jimmyklane

25 May 2018

Catblack wrote:
25 May 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
25 May 2018

If you are just picking up Polymodular, and into analog, check out Hydlide's Complex patch.
I have a disgustingly large Stable of analog synthesizers....I’ll check it out

Ejectzero

28 May 2018

Awesome! Glad your enjoying it, will check the patch out when I knock off at work!

jimmyklane

28 May 2018

Ejectzero wrote:
28 May 2018
Awesome! Glad your enjoying it, will check the patch out when I knock off at work!
It’s very basic, but can be the starting point for many more complex patches since the synths are already set up for you

jimmyklane

06 Jun 2018

Here is another fairly simple patch. It contains an IR from one of my reverbs as well, and I’ve got the combinator set up to control the reverb as well as if it’s modulated or not. Experiment and post derivative patches here if you can!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ro6kq80r5rvv7 ... n.cmb?dl=0

jimmyklane

06 Jun 2018

Zipped files attached so you don't have to deal with my dropbox:
Distributor Patches.zip
(46.33 KiB) Downloaded 155 times

bxbrkrz

06 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
06 Jun 2018
Zipped files attached so you don't have to deal with my dropbox:

Distributor Patches.zip
Thank you! :thumbs_up:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

groggy1

09 Jun 2018

Hey, really appreciate this post! Just bought Distributor after reading this thread.

For some reason, I had always thought Distributor was useful to make a poly-synth out of a bunch of mono-synths.
But I didn't realize it could also be used to add a lot of motion to a mono pattern (e.g. an arp sequence).

After buying it, I was making some pretty cool arp patterns within minutes! Just hooked up Distributor to output to two separate synths (each with different types of pluck sounds). And then added a Dual-Arp Player, and started jamming!

jimmyklane

09 Jun 2018

groggy1 wrote:
09 Jun 2018
Hey, really appreciate this post! Just bought Distributor after reading this thread.

For some reason, I had always thought Distributor was useful to make a poly-synth out of a bunch of mono-synths.
But I didn't realize it could also be used to add a lot of motion to a mono pattern (e.g. an arp sequence).

After buying it, I was making some pretty cool arp patterns within minutes! Just hooked up Distributor to output to two separate synths (each with different types of pluck sounds). And then added a Dual-Arp Player, and started jamming!
Nice! Sounds like you came up with something unique in comparison to what my simple patches do. My goal was to emulate the old analog Oberheim synth VCA structure but you came up with a creative use right away

dvdrtldg

10 Jun 2018

Loving the 8-Voice Saws patch, but what I don't understand is that when I swap over another instrument for one of the Europas, it plays on every note whether Distributor is triggering it or not. Huh...?

Loque

11 Jun 2018

dvdrtldg wrote:
10 Jun 2018
Loving the 8-Voice Saws patch, but what I don't understand is that when I swap over another instrument for one of the Europas, it plays on every note whether Distributor is triggering it or not. Huh...?
I didn't tried the patch yet, but this usually happens if you have the setup in a Combinator and the synth receives notes. Disable Receive Notes in the Combinator programmer for this synth or "play" just the Distributor.
Reason12, Win10

dvdrtldg

11 Jun 2018

Loque wrote:
11 Jun 2018
dvdrtldg wrote:
10 Jun 2018
I didn't tried the patch yet, but this usually happens if you have the setup in a Combinator and the synth receives notes. Disable Receive Notes in the Combinator programmer for this synth or "play" just the Distributor.
lol I JUST realised what I'd done and came in here to delete my post before anyone saw what a dummy I am

challism

14 Jun 2018

dvdrtldg wrote:
11 Jun 2018
Loque wrote:
11 Jun 2018

lol I JUST realised what I'd done and came in here to delete my post before anyone saw what a dummy I am
LMAO! You sound like me!

I love playing with Distributor. I always get so many different results from experimenting with it. And now throwing the players into the mix.... wow!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

bullt

30 Apr 2020

I am not an expert,
but It wouldn´t be better the charlotte RE than the distributor to split chords to the EMIs, because this include envelopes?

moneykube

30 Apr 2020

jimmyklane wrote:
06 Jun 2018
Here is another fairly simple patch. It contains an IR from one of my reverbs as well, and I’ve got the combinator set up to control the reverb as well as if it’s modulated or not. Experiment and post derivative patches here if you can!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ro6kq80r5rvv7 ... n.cmb?dl=0
ir is not contained sadly
Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 10.20.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 10.20.20 PM.png (51.93 KiB) Viewed 2694 times
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

bullt

30 Apr 2020

bullt wrote:
30 Apr 2020
I am not an expert,
but It wouldn´t be better the charlotte RE than the distributor to split chords to the EMIs, because this include envelopes?

Feature: Distributor Charlotte
Integrated Envelope No Yes
Random Gates Yes No
8 voices Yes Yes
Dual Voice Yes No
Wiring Quite a lot (6 cables per voice) Minimal (3 cables per voice)

what are dual and quad voices?

Do you consider envelopes an important thing?

NDKay

11 Jul 2020

bullt wrote:
30 Apr 2020

what are dual and quad voices?

Do you consider envelopes an important thing?
Dual Voice means a note you play ( one note) will activate two of the voices, quad will activate 4. Unison will play all 8 voices.
And in the "Order" section you can set different start points or even go random. (Its fun ;-) )

Envelopes are important when you are working with "single OSC" Modules like MODRACK VCO or VO-1 Viking Oscillator.
While when working with "Full Synths" like thor or monotone aso its not "that" important because they have amp envelopes.
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

• Information