Spektrum Signal Monitor

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
raccoonboy

24 May 2018

Can you get an accurate readout of certain frequencies on this thing? Like if I hover my mouse over a certain part of the spectrum will it tell me? Or do you just have to estimate with the few frequencies given at the top.

aeox
Competition Winner

24 May 2018

There is no exact readout

Loque

24 May 2018

You get more accuracy by CPU usage. I would look for this in the vst world.

I dunno what are your exact needs. I liked the khs eq (forgot it's name) because I can edit semi tones,also Rob Papen and Seligs EQ can do this AFAIK,but Rob Papens vst does not work in Reason so you need to use the RE.
Reason12, Win10

raccoonboy

26 May 2018

Loque wrote:
24 May 2018

I dunno what are your exact needs. I liked the khs eq (forgot it's name) because I can edit semi tones,also Rob Papen and Seligs EQ can do this AFAIK,but Rob Papens vst does not work in Reason so you need to use the RE.
(Reason 8 user here, but have Live and Reaper, so can use VSTs too.)

I recently bought Welsh's synth cookbook. He recommends Freakoscope, but it doesn't work on my Mac. I found one called VertexDSP MultiInspector. Downloaded the trial version, seems to do the trick, although there are no readouts, it does say there are on the website, so I assume that the paid version has these. I'm awaiting reply, but still looking for more options.

I'm not really sure what type of spectrum analyser it is to be fair. It's FFT but I know there are different types. I basically need the thing for harmonic analysis. So the ability to pause the input and zoom in etc.. It needs to be nice and clear so I can separate the harmonics. If you think any of the ones you listed above will do this, please let me know.

Loque

26 May 2018

raccoonboy wrote:
26 May 2018
Loque wrote:
24 May 2018

I recently bought Welsh's synth cookbook. He recommends Freakoscope, but it doesn't work on my Mac. I found one called VertexDSP MultiInspector. Downloaded the trial version, seems to do the trick, although there are no readouts, it does say there are on the website, so I assume that the paid version has these. I'm awaiting reply, but still looking for more options.

I'm not really sure what type of spectrum analyser it is to be fair. It's FFT but I know there are different types. I basically need the thing for harmonic analysis. So the ability to pause the input and zoom in etc.. It needs to be nice and clear so I can separate the harmonics. If you think any of the ones you listed above will do this, please let me know.
If you like it fance, try this one: http://www.kvraudio.com/product/sound-r ... ygon-audio

This is the one from Kilohearts, which also shows semitons and stuff: https://kilohearts.com/products/carve_eq

If you are looking into "musical" eqs, this might be interesting. I got it for free, but you need to pay now: https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/ ... equivocate

I whish there were more devices that show the note and not only the frequency. Maybe there are some, but i expect them to be expensive... The things above i got for free or very cheap.
Reason12, Win10

raccoonboy

26 May 2018

Loque wrote:
26 May 2018
raccoonboy wrote:
26 May 2018

If you like it fance, try this one: http://www.kvraudio.com/product/sound-r ... ygon-audio

This is the one from Kilohearts, which also shows semitons and stuff: https://kilohearts.com/products/carve_eq

If you are looking into "musical" eqs, this might be interesting. I got it for free, but you need to pay now: https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/ ... equivocate

I whish there were more devices that show the note and not only the frequency. Maybe there are some, but i expect them to be expensive... The things above i got for free or very cheap.
Thanks, these looks cool n all, but are a bit too complicated for my needs and seem to be more about sound shaping, than analysing. Hopefully VertexDSP will get back to my email soon and confirm what I need.

raccoonboy

26 May 2018

Loque wrote:
26 May 2018
I whish there were more devices that show the note and not only the frequency.
word

raccoonboy

26 May 2018

Okay. So I'm having a trial go of the colouringEQ by Selig. It's pretty great. I've not actually been using it for what I intended, ended up making some patches with it and they sounded great.

Spectrum analysis-wise it would be nice if it was possible to zoom in on the grid to see higher frequencies more closely for example, but there really isn't much room left on the device so I don't see that happening.

Wondering, is it possible to make adjustments NOT in semi-tones? I know this is kind of the point, and I would usually use it this way, I'm just curious. I know you can adjust the all frequencies, but can you do them individually, I tried holding shift but no joy.

selig
RE Developer

26 May 2018

raccoonboy wrote:Okay. So I'm having a trial go of the colouringEQ by Selig. It's pretty great. I've not actually been using it for what I intended, ended up making some patches with it and they sounded great.

Spectrum analysis-wise it would be nice if it was possible to zoom in on the grid to see higher frequencies more closely for example, but there really isn't much room left on the device so I don't see that happening.

Wondering, is it possible to make adjustments NOT in semi-tones? I know this is kind of the point, and I would usually use it this way, I'm just curious. I know you can adjust the all frequencies, but can you do them individually, I tried holding shift but no joy.
Zoom to see for what purpose (what examples for this functionality)?

There is a fine tune control, giving a total of +12,000 possible frequencies - should be enough for most work! ;)

And again, to what end do you need to adjust finer than semitone on individual bands? First of all, you’d need to be using very narrow boosts/cuts to even hear such resolution, and if that’s your job there are better EQs (not musical) for that job I’m sure! But I’m still interested in use cases for such a feature, just in case there’s things it SHOULD do but cannot do because of this limitation.

(Side note: Subtractor’s Filter has 127 semitone steps, and no one has yet to ask for finer resolution there - not that it’s the same thing, just that it’s very uncommon to need multiple bands of super fine tuning EQs!)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information