Reveal Sound Spire (ReSpire) update 1.0.6 is out

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
seqoi

23 May 2018

eXode wrote:
22 May 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
22 May 2018
I also own several Moog synths, although not an original Minimoog. The Legend really has done an excellent job at getting that special something that makes a Moog a Moog. The caveat is that I pretty much don’t use resonance on Moog filters because of the huge drop in bass response, and high resonance is where lesser digital filters fall on their face.
Thread O/T: If your CPU is up for it, and If you like to make your own patches, you really should give VK-2 a go.
I love ReSpire. Very good effortless sound. Actually VK-2 and ReSpire are my most loved synth. VK-2 for gooey vintage sounds, ReSpire for modern harsh sounds.

Possibly Legend in between.

IMO people who does not hear difference between VK-2, ReSpire versus Thor should not care that much. To me difference is huge. Not that Thor is bad it is not it is great. I still use Subtractor for basses. It's just like these synths are kinda like color palette tools when you are picturing.

LarsK

11 Jun 2018

Seeing the current sale is ending soon - does Re-Spire sound anything like the VST? Thanks.

riemac

11 Jun 2018

LarsK wrote:
11 Jun 2018
Seeing the current sale is ending soon - does Re-Spire sound anything like the VST? Thanks.
It sounds exactly the same as the VST

ravisoni

11 Jun 2018

Respire isn't just a synth. It's an 8-bar DAW, replete with sub bass, bass, Melody and drums in a single patch. Some of those damn presets...
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

EnochLight

11 Jun 2018

LarsK wrote:
11 Jun 2018
There is NO difference in sound. They’re identical. The only difference is the GUI in Reason’s rack (the effects and mod section is different).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

chk071

12 Jan 2019

Here's a little heads up from the Reveal Sound KVR support forum on the development of the RE, and VST version of Spire, from the developers: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 4#p7282354

Apart from that, version 2 of Spire will probably see a lot of other improvements and additions: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 9#p6059639
Some long-term plans:

- Extended preset browser
- Custom wave loading
- Granular sampler OSC mode
- Vowel OSC mode
- New reverberator's types
- New shaper's types
- Filter with Drive Parameter
:reason: :rebirth:

EnochLight

12 Jan 2019

chk071 wrote:
12 Jan 2019
Here's a little heads up from the Reveal Sound KVR support forum on the development of the RE, and VST version of Spire, from the developers: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 4#p7282354

Apart from that, version 2 of Spire will probably see a lot of other improvements and additions: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 9#p6059639
Some long-term plans:

- Extended preset browser
- Custom wave loading
- Granular sampler OSC mode
- Vowel OSC mode
- New reverberator's types
- New shaper's types
- Filter with Drive Parameter
Thanks for posting this info, chk071 . We've all long thought that Reveal Sound abandoned the RE, so it's nice to see an official statement from them that they still plan to update it (though I won't hold my breath as to how long that will take)... :lol: :lol: :lol:

For anyone interested, the important takeaway as of the 12th of January, 2019 is:
We chose an alternative path and decided to rewrite the code from scratch again, taking into account the Reason limitations. This process is not at all simple, and upon completion, we will get Spire 2.0 and ReSpire 2.0, where both platforms will get greater performance and new features.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jam-s

12 Jan 2019

I really hope they also include the GFX resize (viewtopic.php?p=331686#p331686, make the knobs smaller!) in the 2.0 version.

seqoi

12 Jan 2019

ReSpire - big modern sound in no time - highly recommended

chk071

12 Jan 2019

@EnochLight: It will surely take some time until v2 is being released (i wouldn't count on it before end of this year, or next year). I'm sure it'll be a nice update though. :) As far as i know, they deinitely plan to implement wavetable oscillators, e.g., with the ability to import waveforms or wavetables. I really hope they improve the (otherwise great) filters as well. I love the character of the filters, but, the resonant behavior could be better. They're typical digital/soft synths filter. I think Dune 3 set the bar a bit higher in terms of filters in such a synth, so, i'm sure Reveal Sound want to improve on that as well.
:reason: :rebirth:

scratchnsnifff

13 Jan 2019

This makes me so happy!
I love that reveal is sticking to their original promise of making spire as friendly as the vst. If People who liked that re do of the GUI could please voice your cause to reveal while they are early in development that would be cool.
But if not that’s fine too. What kind of features will spire 2 have? Cross modulation via PM/FM/AM?
Probably user wavetables and some crazy effect filters? I’m going to hope that it has bend modes if spire 2 has all these key features I think it will be the best Re around if they do it right :) spire is right up there with serum even though it doesn’t have as much user input for customization. But at the end of the day it’s a powerhouse of a synth
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

EnochLight

13 Jan 2019

chk071 wrote:
12 Jan 2019
@EnochLight: It will surely take some time until v2 is being released (i wouldn't count on it before end of this year, or next year).
I totally hear that. I'm convinced Reveal Sound is actually 1 person doing 100% of the coding, otherwise it wouldn't take so long to update (both the VST as well as the RE). Or maybe it's 2 or 3 people with a lot of other things to do at the same time? :lol:
chk071 wrote:
12 Jan 2019
I'm sure it'll be a nice update though. :) As far as i know, they deinitely plan to implement wavetable oscillators, e.g., with the ability to import waveforms or wavetables. I really hope they improve the (otherwise great) filters as well. I love the character of the filters, but, the resonant behavior could be better. They're typical digital/soft synths filter. I think Dune 3 set the bar a bit higher in terms of filters in such a synth, so, i'm sure Reveal Sound want to improve on that as well.
Dune 3 is absolutely sublime, so they'll certainly need to step it up. Looking forward to where they take Spire in 2020-2021.

scratchnsnifff

13 Jan 2019

EnochLight wrote:
13 Jan 2019
chk071 wrote:
12 Jan 2019
@EnochLight: It will surely take some time until v2 is being released (i wouldn't count on it before end of this year, or next year).
Dune 3 is absolutely sublime, so they'll certainly need to step it up. Looking forward to where they take Spire in 2020-2021.
do you think they will add various modifiers like warp modes in serum????
idk what else could be added but i know that I'm dying to see

do you know of any forums where there is a spire 2 feature request thread? i couldn't seem to find anything except for the keywords Spire..(ultra sonic super dooper mega house Genre desctructo pack) 2
and a bunch of other preset packs

scratchnsnifff

13 Jan 2019

jam-s wrote:
12 Jan 2019
I really hope they also include the GFX resize (viewtopic.php?p=331686#p331686, make the knobs smaller!) in the 2.0 version.
i would assume something like this is in their to do list.
i would imagine if they are redoing the synth then it would be wise on their part to make everything laid out in one large synth, but with the menus. that mock up is a perfect look for ReSpire.

iv talked with them many times about how thats the one thorn in my side, and they did seem to like the idea but I'm assuming it would be hard to redesign everything.

buuuuuuttt if they are taking a look at all the code anyways, then it would be logical to guess that GUI work will be on the table.
also I'm confused and will have to read the post again. are they making an entirely new synth or building on their current one?

EnochLight

15 Jan 2019

scratchnsnifff wrote:
13 Jan 2019
do you know of any forums where there is a spire 2 feature request thread? i couldn't seem to find anything except for the keywords Spire..(ultra sonic super dooper mega house Genre desctructo pack) 2
and a bunch of other preset packs
Reveal Sound has an actual forum over at KVR. That said, they only usually post when they're promoting their sales for soundpacks and Spire discounts. Getting them to discuss Spire development is like pulling teeth:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforu ... 9486826dec

Any posts by vega555 is basically Reveal Sound. Likely the only person that works there. :lol: :puf_bigsmile:

Here's the actual Spire (VST) feature request thread started by the dev himself. He hasn't responded in that thread for almost a year:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... &start=195

two shoes

19 Jan 2019

i'm just glad to see they're still working on this - when i asked them about any future plans for Respire they were very noncommital.

two shoes

19 Jan 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
22 May 2018
Well I have largely ignored ReSpire for a while on account of the CPU usage being ridiculously high. I'm not sure if they've actually addressed it or not but going through the patches now it seems to be a lot more usable. There are still some major issues with patch levelling. Going through bass patches I'm alternating between a whisper and clipping. So please, invest a little time into fixing this for a future version! I also don't think too much of the interface in its current state. But, the presets are sounding great and if the processor usage is down as it seems to be, I could definitely use this in my tracks.

*Edit: scratch that. Still getting mega CPU spikes. Try playing an arpeggio with SY 50 Fantasies. Not cool.
This... I found two or three of what I was pretty sure were bugs within the first couple hours of playing with this, even aside from the ridiculous cpu usage. When I asked them if they had any plans to fix the cpu usage or the remaining bugs they said they weren't aware of any bugs or cpu problems.

seqoi

23 Jan 2019

two shoes wrote:
19 Jan 2019
chimp_spanner wrote:
22 May 2018
Well I have largely ignored ReSpire for a while on account of the CPU usage being ridiculously high. I'm not sure if they've actually addressed it or not but going through the patches now it seems to be a lot more usable. There are still some major issues with patch levelling. Going through bass patches I'm alternating between a whisper and clipping. So please, invest a little time into fixing this for a future version! I also don't think too much of the interface in its current state. But, the presets are sounding great and if the processor usage is down as it seems to be, I could definitely use this in my tracks.

*Edit: scratch that. Still getting mega CPU spikes. Try playing an arpeggio with SY 50 Fantasies. Not cool.
This... I found two or three of what I was pretty sure were bugs within the first couple hours of playing with this, even aside from the ridiculous cpu usage. When I asked them if they had any plans to fix the cpu usage or the remaining bugs they said they weren't aware of any bugs or cpu problems.
It's simple. When you run into CPU issues you simply decrease polphony in RE version. RE version of Spire indeed use much much larger CPU portion then same version with same number of polyphony on VST version (yes i checked and it's really simple to check).

I am not finding that as a showstopper and i still prefer RE version. Workflow thing. But i can easily see someone preferring VST version for better CPU usage and larger GUI.

zoidkirb

24 Jan 2019

My wishlist for the RE is simple, I just want drop down/pop up menus for each window item. Scrolling thru values especially in the mod matrix is a show stopper for me.

dioxide

15 Aug 2023

Fantastic sounding synth that's desperately in need of a Master Volume control. Does it really not have this? The preset patch volumes are all over the place.

raymondh

15 Aug 2023

Nice to see this thread again.

When using Reason as a plug-in with Reaper DAW, it's great for being able to use DSP-intensive synths like this one (and Viking 2), can run many instances of them in RRP inside Reaper without issue.

dusan.cani

17 Aug 2023

dioxide wrote:
15 Aug 2023
Fantastic sounding synth that's desperately in need of a Master Volume control. Does it really not have this?
It does have it, but it is not directly accessible, you have to dig in into the context menu:

spire-volume.PNG
spire-volume.PNG (25.77 KiB) Viewed 1901 times

dioxide

17 Aug 2023

Ah thank you. I couldn't find it.

• Information