Reveal Sound Spire (ReSpire) update 1.0.6 is out

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
EnochLight

21 May 2018

This update includes:

• LFO/Stepper rate modulation in SYNC mode
• Osc wave selection modulation
• Glide parameter modulation
• New modulation source: Random unipolar, Constant 10% and 50%
• New presets
• Fixed LFO desync problem

Sale Price: $/€ 89.00*
Reg Price $/€ 189.00
*May Madness Sale: $100/€100 off on ReSpire! Until 1 June

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... d-respire/
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

antic604

21 May 2018

Still not convinced :D

lakinlakin

21 May 2018

antic604 wrote:
21 May 2018
Me too (and I bought it). Still no pop up menus. What a shame.

Loque

21 May 2018

lakinlakin wrote:
21 May 2018
antic604 wrote:
21 May 2018
Maybe they did not recognized, that SDK3 is now out ;)
Reason12, Win10

joeyluck

21 May 2018

Loque wrote:
21 May 2018
lakinlakin wrote:
21 May 2018

Maybe they did not recognized, that SDK3 is now out ;)
Well they are certainly at least aware of SDK 2.5 (which introduced switchable panels and pop-up menus), and ReSpire was initially released prior to that. I believe their thinking is that they want to be sure to not leave anybody behind as they roll out updates and iron out any remaining bugs that pop up. I believe you would have to be on Reason 8 to not be able to use REs made with SDK 2.5 or higher? There is still plenty of room for CPU performance improvements. 1.0.4 was much better than the initial release, but it could certainly be better. They have hinted at wanting to rework things with the newer SDK eventually.

theshoemaker

21 May 2018

It's still a good RE if you bought it at 59 bucks from introductory. The workflow is awkward but the I really like the oscillators. And the presets, besides being drown in Reverb are good for inspiration, if you want to do EDM. Besides that, I'd prefer Europa
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

chk071

21 May 2018

I can only comment on the VST, which is one of my favorite soft synths, and, people probably already grow tired of my notorious recommendations in forums. :D They also had some issues with CPU usage, so, they rewrote the core, and released a 1.1 version of it, which cut the CPU use in half or 1/3. It's really quite moderate now as VST, so, i hope they manage something similar with the RE version.
:reason: :rebirth:

jimmyklane

21 May 2018

theshoemaker wrote:
21 May 2018
It's still a good RE if you bought it at 59 bucks from introductory. The workflow is awkward but the I really like the oscillators. And the presets, besides being drown in Reverb are good for inspiration, if you want to do EDM. Besides that, I'd prefer Europa
So what is in respire that I can’t get in either hardware or in Reasons stock instruments (10.1)?
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

fotizimo

21 May 2018

I have been using ReSpire more and more these days, and I am working with a fairly limited CPU SurfacePro4 machine (i7 +8GB ram). I did a VST versus RE test a month or so back, and came out thinking they were fairly similar in terms of performance. Your mileage may vary, but I am using it a lot more these days. When I first bought it, I could barely play any of the preset pads as chords, but for most part now, it is much more tame. The VST is pretty taxing as well, so lets not give the impression it is a super efficient instrument and the RE version is garbage.

I wouldn't have a problem buying it at discount, but not at full price.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

EdGrip

21 May 2018

Have they fixed the thing yet where the ADSR faders don't line up with the mouse pointer?

EnochLight

21 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
21 May 2018
So what is in respire that I can’t get in either hardware or in Reasons stock instruments (10.1)?
From hardware? How about as many as your computer can handle. From Reason's stock instruments (10.1)? Reason doesn't come with a stock virtual analog that has the power Spire has. Thor would be the closest, but Spire is just in an entire league of its own, IMHO (and I say that lovingly, as Thor is still a fantastic VA even 11 years after it was released).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jimmyklane

21 May 2018

EnochLight wrote:
21 May 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
21 May 2018
From hardware? How about as many as your computer can handle. From Reason's stock instruments (10.1)? Reason doesn't come with a stock virtual analog that has the power Spire has. Thor would be the closest, but Spire is just in an entire league of its own, IMHO (and I say that lovingly, as Thor is still a fantastic VA even 11 years after it was released).
I kind of have a “thing” for hardware synths and especially samplers. Europa and Grain have given me endless hours of sampling fun!!! I’ll have to go to the prop shop after my demo of The Legend is complete. That’s a very authentic Moog sound....it just sounds “right”

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

EnochLight

21 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
21 May 2018
I kind of have a “thing” for hardware synths and especially samplers. Europa and Grain have given me endless hours of sampling fun!!! I’ll have to go to the prop shop after my demo of The Legend is complete. That’s a very authentic Moog sound....it just sounds “right”
Oh The Legend is fantastic, and probably one of the best Moog emulations out there in Rack Extensions, IMHO. Spire can do some Moog as well, but The Legend does it right. Spire is more of an "all around" virtual analog.

theshoemaker

22 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
21 May 2018
EnochLight wrote:
21 May 2018

Europa and Grain are fantastic. Fast results and a lot of room for EASY exploration and customization. Grain is so simple and still wonderfull to explore. Just throw a random sound you recorded and start patching. I got a "stringish" sound from a baby talking.

theshoemaker

22 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
21 May 2018
theshoemaker wrote:
21 May 2018
Honestly I can't tell whats in ReSpire that you can't get from Thor or any other Synth. I don't think in terms of what I can get or not. I don't like the Thor workflow even if it's a very powerfull synth. I love the Antidote workflow, Europa, Grain, Parsec, Nostrom, kHZ one (which I trialed but don't own). I also love the eXpanse workflow even it is very predated for me by Europa. With ReSpire i just like how I can manipulate and modulate the oscialtors with the modifiers. Even if the rest is ugly "Workflow kind of view". Still I don't use it often.

EdGrip

22 May 2018

If you like the Legend, have a demo of Repro.

miscend

22 May 2018

theshoemaker wrote:
22 May 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
21 May 2018

Honestly I can't tell whats in ReSpire that you can't get from Thor or any other Synth. I don't think in terms of what I can get or not. I don't like the Thor workflow even if it's a very powerfull synth. I love the Antidote workflow, Europa, Grain, Parsec, Nostrom, kHZ one (which I trialed but don't own). I also love the eXpanse workflow even it is very predated for me by Europa. With ReSpire i just like how I can manipulate and modulate the oscialtors with the modifiers. Even if the rest is ugly "Workflow kind of view". Still I don't use it often.
In terms of features? It’s got different filter types to the other synths. Different effects including a Juno/Jupiter chorus and built in OTT like comp that is a major part of the sound. It’s got a cool and fun to use step modulator. The wavetable implementation is more fully featured than Thor but not as well specified as Europa or Serum.

Truthfully the main consideration is it’s a very different sound to Thor or stock Reason stuff, it’s much closer to the Access Virus kind of sound. But also it’s own thing with very punchy envelopes and an overall timbre that sounds exceptional in a mix. It just sits well and doesn’t require too much processing. When you trial synths like Spire you shouldn’t just make patches. You should also see how it holds up when when multitracked in the kind of music you make.

I now appreciate why Spire with its obvious flaws became popular so quickly in VST circles. It sounds good and makes life easier come mix time. It’s a very similar achievement to Sylenth1, which is another synth that came out of nowhere to achieve cult status.

Workflow is a PITA in Reason. I use the VST demo to make patches then convert. I don’t see how they can move to the new SDK without pissing off some customers still on Reason 7.

madmacman

22 May 2018

miscend wrote:
22 May 2018
Workflow is a PITA in Reason. I use the VST demo to make patches then convert. I don’t see how they can move to the new SDK without pissing off some customers still on Reason 7.
Yes, maybe that's why they keep alive the crossgrade minus full introductory price ($59) every now and then. I finally did it. Also because of some "independence" having VST/AU now.

eusti

22 May 2018

madmacman wrote:
22 May 2018
miscend wrote:
22 May 2018
Yes, maybe that's why they keep alive the crossgrade minus full introductory price ($59) every now and then. I finally did it. Also because of some "independence" having VST/AU now.
How did you go about the cross grade? I might be interested at some point... Please share!

D.

madmacman

22 May 2018

eusti wrote:
22 May 2018
madmacman wrote:
22 May 2018

How did you go about the cross grade? I might be interested at some point... Please share!

D.
I'm not entirely sure. But I contacted their support and sent them a proof of purchase from Props store (€59). Then I got a coupon for their online store. At that time they explicitly offered this crossgrade option.

At first I skipped it (last year). But during the "57 year Sputnik (or Gagarin?)" sale, they sent me a mail and kindly asked if I'm still willing to switch by using the coupon. So I ended up in paying $132 minus $59. In the end I didn't lose money.

Worth a try to contact their support! :)

eusti

22 May 2018

madmacman wrote:
22 May 2018
eusti wrote:
22 May 2018

D.
I'm not entirely sure. But I contacted their support and sent them a proof of purchase from Props store (€59). Then I got a coupon for their online store. At that time they explicitly offered this crossgrade option.

At first I skipped it (last year). But during the "57 year Sputnik (or Gagarin?)" sale, they sent me a mail and kindly asked if I'm still willing to switch by using the coupon. So I ended up in paying $132 minus $59. In the end I didn't lose money.

Worth a try to contact their support! :)
Ah, ok. I guess I’ll wait until there’s a sale on the VST version, then contact them. Thank you for explaining!

D.

jimmyklane

22 May 2018

EdGrip wrote:
22 May 2018
If you like the Legend, have a demo of Repro.
I own Repro 1/5. I have retired my Sequential Pro One...which admittedly was sick with intermittent issues, but they sound pretty much identical, even with very high resonance.

I also own several Moog synths, although not an original Minimoog. The Legend really has done an excellent job at getting that special something that makes a Moog a Moog. The caveat is that I pretty much don’t use resonance on Moog filters because of the huge drop in bass response, and high resonance is where lesser digital filters fall on their face.

chimp_spanner

22 May 2018

Well I have largely ignored ReSpire for a while on account of the CPU usage being ridiculously high. I'm not sure if they've actually addressed it or not but going through the patches now it seems to be a lot more usable. There are still some major issues with patch levelling. Going through bass patches I'm alternating between a whisper and clipping. So please, invest a little time into fixing this for a future version! I also don't think too much of the interface in its current state. But, the presets are sounding great and if the processor usage is down as it seems to be, I could definitely use this in my tracks.

*Edit: scratch that. Still getting mega CPU spikes. Try playing an arpeggio with SY 50 Fantasies. Not cool.

eXode

22 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
22 May 2018
I also own several Moog synths, although not an original Minimoog. The Legend really has done an excellent job at getting that special something that makes a Moog a Moog. The caveat is that I pretty much don’t use resonance on Moog filters because of the huge drop in bass response, and high resonance is where lesser digital filters fall on their face.
Thread O/T: If your CPU is up for it, and If you like to make your own patches, you really should give VK-2 a go.

danc

22 May 2018

miscend wrote:
22 May 2018
Truthfully the main consideration is it’s a very different sound to Thor or stock Reason stuff, it’s much closer to the Access Virus kind of sound. But also it’s own thing with very punchy envelopes and an overall timbre that sounds exceptional in a mix. It just sits well and doesn’t require too much processing. When you trial synths like Spire you shouldn’t just make patches. You should also see how it holds up when when multitracked in the kind of music you make.
Totally agree - for me Respire has a sound that just works in my mixes as well. I generally use it when I want a tough as nails bass sound, with a lot of sub-thump and a good mid and upper range alongside it. It can do much more than that... but I know I can rely on it for big low-end!

Trying to compare or say you can replace it with something else isn't fair. I would seriously struggle to get Thor to match it. Whereas Thor can do other things that I wouldn't try in Respire.
Check my Soundcloud:

• Information