One Bit Converter by Bcase

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

MannequinRaces

21 May 2018

Looks interesting and lots of CV!

Adabler
Competition Winner

22 May 2018

This looks great, has lots of CV, audio examples and a detailed description. I still don't understand what it is. Can someone please finish this sentence: This RE is great when you want to (...................................................................).?

...add digital noise/distrortion, sidechain, limit the signals and be soft to oscillators, all in one package?

# :oops:
:reason: 12, Win10

Adabler
Competition Winner

22 May 2018

Adabler wrote:
22 May 2018
This looks great, has lots of CV, audio examples and a detailed description. I still don't understand what it is. Can someone please finish this sentence: This RE is great when you want to (...................................................................).?

...add digital noise/distrortion, sidechain, limit the signals and be soft to oscillators, all in one package?

# :oops:
Edit: to my untrained eye, this RE looks like something that would gain some attention on the forum due to its complexity. Is this just another one of whatever it is? What would be an existing alternative?

Actual edit: oh god!

Majestik Monkey

22 May 2018

@ Adabler ' What would be an existing alternative? [One bit converter ]

Any one of the two new Re's by Turn 2 on / Grainshift or Harmbode ! Harmbodes RINGMOD has a Very nice ZING ' very Musical :
Use the pair together for Wacky Races effects :lol:

IMO ' They both are very good tools !

fanatek
RE Developer

22 May 2018

Hi adabler,

You are right : this is something that never has been created to my knowledge and very hard to explain the final effect you can hear while its operation is pretty simple in fact. :roll:

The best way to understand what it does is to see that chart :
chart1.png
chart1.png (13.97 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
It shows the way the converter works.

The best usage for me is to apply it on bass signal, it adds some kind of analog subtle distortion.
But you can use it on drums and all kind of synth too. I like how it can add light distortion on Radical Keys Re for example.

My advice is to start with just moving the threshold and the increment button and to finish with resolution mode enabled while playing midi notes, all opened ears :puf_bigsmile:

And of course try all the patches and combinators that come with.
http://www.bcase.fr - Orleans FR - Ableton Live 11 Suite, Reason 11 Suite, Nektar P4

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 May 2018

I'm pretty confused by this RE.

I tried to tweak the knobs and nothing happened for the most part. Some distortion here and there, nothing special. I'll admit I didn't read the manual, but usually stuff happens when you tweak stuff.
Oh well, let's try some patches I thought, maybe that will clear things up. After all I am a retard when it comes to anything related to technical stuff.

Scrolled through the patches on a couple of drum loops. For a lot patches I couldn't hear any difference. Other sounded weird or crappy. The best patches sounded like when I tried to replace it with Saturation Knob.

Honestly I got just as good or better results with Saturation Knob and that one's for free and it's only one knob. This one is 59€ at full price with a bunch of features that doesn't seem to do anything.

Maybe someone smarter can shed some light on this device, because I don't get this one.

Adabler
Competition Winner

22 May 2018

Majestik Monkey wrote:
22 May 2018
Any one of the two new Re's by Turn 2 on / Grainshift or Harmbode ! Harmbodes RINGMOD has a Very nice ZING ' very Musical :
Use the pair together for Wacky Races effects :lol:

IMO ' They both are very good tools !
Thanks! I have not ventured much into the more creative effects yet, so I will see to to that, but this sentence really messed me up:

The result of this conversion may sound from a slight frequency exciter to a bit crushed and distorted wave.

It may? Also at first I read it as "a little crushed and distorted wave" which didn't help!

Adabler
Competition Winner

22 May 2018

fanatek wrote:
22 May 2018
You are right : this is something that never has been created to my knowledge and very hard to explain the final effect you can hear while its operation is pretty simple in fact. :roll:
Thanks you! I would love to see a video of someone taking full advantage of it's CV capabilities and other tricks!

Loque

22 May 2018

I dont think you can describe this RE by using a sound description in one direction only. Its not changing the sound directly, but rather indirectly by using an algorithm on the wave form itself independent of frequency. By modifying the wave directly it can produce subtly or more effects, ranging from low pass filtering, to exciting, bit crushing and all in a bit unpredictable way.

It has some modulating possibilities build in, eg a envelope follower, to let the fx come only on attack phase or release or straight in the sustain. The final saturation cuts a bit the peaks and adds color.

The results are highly depending on the signals you feed in. It can be harsh or warm.
Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 May 2018

Loque wrote:
22 May 2018
I dont think you can describe this RE by using a sound description in one direction only. Its not changing the sound directly, but rather indirectly by using an algorithm on the wave form itself independent of frequency. By modifying the wave directly it can produce subtly or more effects, ranging from low pass filtering, to exciting, bit crushing and all in a bit unpredictable way.

It has some modulating possibilities build in, eg a envelope follower, to let the fx come only on attack phase or release or straight in the sustain. The final saturation cuts a bit the peaks and adds color.

The results are highly depending on the signals you feed in. It can be harsh or warm.
Hmm interesting. Sounds like one needs to dive a bit deeper and experiment to fully utilize this device, which probably means this one isn't for me. I like stuff to just work fast so that I can get on with making music.
Maybe I'm better off sticking to my one trick ponies, Saturation knob, Disperser, RE2A, Crapre 2 etc.

Catblack

23 May 2018

Here's a quick 808 test using one of Peff's patches from the FSB. I bumped up the non-OBC +5db because I didn't want test just to be one where the effect sounded louder. I think that One Bit Converter really sounds amazing on an 808 kit.

If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

eusti

23 May 2018

Huh... I think this one might be too subtle for me at the moment... :P

D.

fanatek
RE Developer

23 Sep 2018

Autumn sale !
During one week only, 50% off !

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... converter/

Wind and rain so a lot of time to make music. :puf_bigsmile:
http://www.bcase.fr - Orleans FR - Ableton Live 11 Suite, Reason 11 Suite, Nektar P4

Boombastix
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2018

I have this one and Decimort. They are different, but both are top of the class IMHO. It's just that Bit One is quite fiddly and a small change of a knob changes the sound a lot sometimes. I used both in a combinator to get very close to 8-bit sampled sounds, e.g. Casio 8-bit and Mirage, from Kicks to HiHats. Note, this is not the "fake" bit crusher effect from most such plugin that give you a very harsh ringy tone, it was 95% the real deal. At $29 BitOne was OK for me. At full price, I would wait.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

aeox
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2018

I noticed this device adds stereo width with the right settings, interesting!

( i don't mean the pan knob) Think it's a bug possibly?

fanatek
RE Developer

01 Oct 2018

Hi aeox,

If your audio input is not a true mono one, then the conversion result can differ between left and right, especially the phase can differ.
As you said, with the right settings you can accentuate this phase difference, depending on your audio input signal of course.
I don't think it is a bug, it is just what the converter does.

This is exactly what the pan setting tends to generate with slightly modifying the left and right increment/decrement.

• Information