HarmBode [inharmonic frequency shifter] - now in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
turn2on
RE Developer

15 May 2018

HarmBode

Intro price discounted to 40%! Up to 1st June! (now $15.00, later $25.00)

Introducing a variation of a legendary analog frequency shifter. HARMBODE shifts the spectrum of a signal by a fixed amount. BODE (TM) Shifter is not a pitch-shitfer, but allows you to shift inharmonics in Hz. Sometimes it can sound like a ring modulator effect, but with HARMBODE it is possible to get an upshifted and downshifted signal. With some settings you can hear the effect known as "Barberpole flanger" as well as a 90 degree phase shifter. The original analog Bode 735 Freq Shifter (TM) was designed by Harold Bode in the 1960’s and was also used in the Moog (TM) modular system. HARMBODE attempts to reproduce this Bode freq shifter (TM) in Reason Rack Extension format. Today Freq shifters popular in world of guitar pedals and modular synths, in world of software synths and FXs. Try the legendary freq shifter in your Reason rack today!

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... y-shifter/

Loque

15 May 2018

Nice one. Could be awesome if you put it into The Echo Break out and modulate the parameters...Or just on one side with low amount changes....
Reason12, Win10

Wickline

15 May 2018

Loque wrote:Nice one. Could be awesome if you put it into The Echo Break out and modulate the parameters...Or just on one side with low amount changes....
That does sound very interesting....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

C//AZM

15 May 2018

Just a friendly heads up. There's a typo in this sentence --- BODE (TM) Shifter is not a pitch-shitfer... It's also on the props website.

Looks great, Looking forward to trying it out.

EdGrip

15 May 2018

If Turn2On would like any of us to write / copy-edit / proof read any of their product releases, I'm sure they just need to ask.

C//AZM

15 May 2018

This wasn't meant as an offense.
If I make a Typo on the lit for a product that I'm selling, then I always welcome the friendly word.
Happens all the time on CD covers and in song credits. I consider this to be a community and with most communities its "all hands on deck", and everyone is expected to help because the success of anyone is a success to us all... Not for criticism but for typos and the like. Grammar issues matter a lot to some very prudish people and especially those typos which inadvertently have "naughty" words in them.

Loque

15 May 2018

C//AZM wrote:
15 May 2018
If I make a Typo on the lit for a product that I'm selling, then I always welcome the friendly word.
Happens all the time on CD covers and in song credits. I consider this to be a community and with most communities its "all hands on deck", and everyone is expected to help because the success of anyone is a success to us all... Not for criticism but for typos and the like. Grammar issues matter a lot to some very prudish people and especially those typos which inadvertently have "naughty" words in them.
I think no one took this as an offense and EdGrip is right, probably easy to find here some ppl to help out a bit, regardless beta testing, proof reading, patch creating....
Reason12, Win10

C//AZM

15 May 2018

Loque wrote:
15 May 2018
C//AZM wrote:
15 May 2018
I think no one took this as an offense and EdGrip is right, probably easy to find here some ppl to help out a bit, regardless beta testing, proof reading, patch creating....
Fair enough.
But I've seen proofreaders miss words. This happens all the time.
I've had misspelled names and grammar errors pointed out to me and I've always been appreciative. I've also had people proofread things and the errors still made it to the final print. Perhaps it's just me, but I'd rather come off as a possible douchebag than have someone miss something -no matter how minor- and I could've said something.

turn2on
RE Developer

15 May 2018

Hi friends. You know we not native language speakers. And its OUR problem. But if anybody can help to fix text, its can be very good.
Note that we have 4 text checkers (native English and US speakers). I think its can be enough to check any texts. But as I see, text after it have problems :D

Anyway, if anybody can help there, its good. You can write PM with errors. In another way in this topic we start to talk only about Typo, not about device..

I need to add info to product/manual:

Effect can have range from simple detuning drums, bells, chimes and human voice in order to create ambience, to the frequency shift of typical synthesizer waveforms to create new tone colour.

How it work (Pitch VS Freq shifting)
Sawtooth. It has harmonics / partials with exact whole numbers of the fundamental points. Original sawtooth at 100 Hz:
100 200 300 400 500 600 700 800

Frequency-shifted wave:
150 250 350 450 550 650 750 850

For this shift, we set Scale upward to 50 Hz. The frequency shifter causes a linear, additive shift; the fundamental frequency is now 150 Hz — but the upper partials have also been shifted 50 Hz, so they are no longer whole number multiples of the fundamental. That is, their ratios are no longer in the natural harmonic series.

The pitch-shifter and the frequency-shifter do very different things!

But you must know how work another type of shifters - pitch-shifters.
A pitch shifter preserves the ratios among the partials through a nonlinear shift. Pitch-shifted wave:
150 300 450 600 750 900 1050 1200

Pitch-shifter transposes pitch, but without transforming the tone colour. A Frequency-shifter changes frequency for the express purpose of changing the tone colour.

Elements of Frequency-shifter
Frequency Shifter is capable of continuous frequency shifting from 0.05Hz up to 5.0 kHz. Yes, as you can look, shifter has expotential ranges.

The Shift knob select on how many % you shift signal in selected frequency position in Hertz. It can be positive or inverted / negative and with it Scale of effect can be ±5kHz.

The Scale knob selects the range of frequency in Hz:
- At "Zero" shift effect is bypassed.
- EXP setting (exponential) is math operation for range 0.05Hz -5.0 kHz. You can view this as steps x10 (0.05 Hz / 0.5Hz / 5Hz / 50 Hz / 500 Hz / 5000 Hz). And with maximum positions of SHIFT (±100%) you can use range of ±5kHz.

From 1 Hz you can get effects known as “Barberpole flanging/phaser”.

In hardware world analog frequency-shifters have big price. But you can try it now as Rack Extension for touch to legendary effect!

turn2on
RE Developer

16 May 2018

Users ask us about difference with ECHOBODE shifter

EchoBode is a great device, but used changed architecture of original BODE FQ Shifter, Echobode have range 20Hz- 40kHz, when original analog BODE and our RE have 0,05Hz - 5kHz. They make range bigger, change it coming out of native BODE resolution. Our RE is more native and near to original device.

Echobode include delay with feedback, we use feedback for BODE shifter without additional effects (you can route what you want before and after w/o fdbk, but have feedback into Bode FQ shifter part).
In scheme of device, we use Hilbert Transform, when copy of signal rotate phase 90degree, look at picture at top of topic)

ECHOBODE use Sidebands A+B, where A=upward, B=Downward.
We at current version have MODE (Up/Down/Up-Down/Down-Up) as single sideband solution. Single sidebands like original BODE. And its be a really standard of BODE and Moog System FX that is HALF-RINGMODE effect.
Echobode use Upward(A)+Downward(B) to get at mid cross effect like a full ring-mod (up+down as 2 halfs of ringmod = ringmod).

But in near update our RE have more options of BODE, than have original BODE and Echobode changed fq-shifter too.

We Create in coming update second line of BODE with mixture them. And our RE in updated version have A(Up/Down/Up-Down/Down-Up) + B(Up/Down/Up-Down/Down-Up). And this make big differnce to final sound of effect.
Deeper shifts of BODE, deeper spectre of tone colors to the mix.

In this position Echobode is LIMITED (have only Up+Down mix).
Our HarmBode is:
- more original FX to analogue original BODE that modular musicans love,
- have in near update more flexible BODE-Core with 2 sidebands and changable modes of them.
As you see, when you search additional creative FX, Echobode is cool!
If you search more natural original BODE, with deeper Core of BODE, its our RE, because its more than ECHOBODE (up+down sidebands).

With new update you easy get not only full Ring-modulator, but a various solutions of sideband modes and mix them as you need.
Its what totaly change sound of our RE from ECHOBODE (becuse core of BODE is deeper) and from Original BODE with not coming out from native range of original.

turn2on
RE Developer

22 May 2018

Update 1.1.0

Mixture knob: add mix of A/B sidebands. Original Bode (TM) Frequency Shifter and also many variations of frequency shifters in RE/VST world use basic structure of 2 sidebands A/B mix (where A = Upward, B = Downward).
HarmBode have exclusive sidebands Modes (Upward, Downward, Upward/Downward, Downward/Upward). Last two hybrids work also as channels Pan-Shifters.

Now HarmBode support Mixture of sidebands.
Examples:
- Mixture = 100%. Same as selected mode (If Mode=Up, Mixture in 100% = Up)
- Mixture = -100%. Opposite to selected mode (If Mode=Up, Mixture in -100% = Down)
- Mixture = 0%, is a true Ringmod effect.
Mixture control help to create interesting mutations of signal

Loque

22 May 2018

Seems more interesting after this update. Thanks for the update.
Reason12, Win10

• Information