Euclidean Rhythms

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
buddard
RE Developer

15 May 2018

There wasn't a separate thread for this device yet, so I created one. :)

Euclidean Rhythms
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... n-rhythms/

Introductory Offer: 39$ through 8 June, 59$ after that (about 33% off).

Euclidean Rhythms is an algorithmic rhythm player for Reason. It means that instead of coming up with and playing your rhythm patterns yourself, a rhythm pattern is generated for you according to Euclid’s ancient algorithm. By tweaking just a few knobs in real-time, or using automation or CV, you can get almost endless variations and inspiration for your tracks!
What's the difference between Euclidean Rhythms and Euclid Rhythm Generator?

In a nutshell, Euclid is about modular experimentation (multiple CV connections, true polyrhythms etc), while Euclidean is about playability -- You just drag it onto your instrument and play.

Both of them have unique features:
- Euclid has four different gate outputs, CV inputs for every parameter, and special inputs/outputs/thrus for clock, mute and reset, and true polyrhythm support (i e 1/3, 1/5, 1/6, 1/7, ...).
- Euclidean has polyphony, sample accurate sync and built-in keyboard controls (Retrig, Hold and Input Range). It can also run without the song clock, and responds to the "Run Pattern Devices" button in combinators, and of course sends the pattern to track with a single click like all other players.

buddard
RE Developer

15 May 2018

We've also created a quick tip video about how modifier keys (Alt and Shift) can be used when interacting with the display:

Please note that all the features shown here are also included in the latest update of Euclid, 1.3.0.

BRIGGS

15 May 2018

I find Euclidean super handy. Definite buy.
r11s

buddard
RE Developer

18 May 2018

And here's another video showcasing the new combinator sync feature:

Re8et
Competition Winner

18 May 2018

Got a hook on it, it chop down your notes progression in Rythmns just popping it in between a device and the cv out (like in a combinator, or another player), no wiring required, love it!

altron

19 May 2018

Trialed it. I was hoping it can help generate cool, percussive patterns but that's not what it's doing. Demoing through all the combinator presets revealed that there's nothing really I can't already quickly do with the sequencer, the matrix or any other drum sequencer. My impression so far is that it's a four-to-the-floor note player packed into a shiny interface (which does look nice) but I expect a lot more from a rhythm pattern generator with an "ancient" engine.
Trap is where music goes to die.

guitfnky

21 May 2018

altron wrote:
19 May 2018
Trialed it. I was hoping it can help generate cool, percussive patterns but that's not what it's doing. Demoing through all the combinator presets revealed that there's nothing really I can't already quickly do with the sequencer, the matrix or any other drum sequencer. My impression so far is that it's a four-to-the-floor note player packed into a shiny interface (which does look nice) but I expect a lot more from a rhythm pattern generator with an "ancient" engine.
I haven’t touched it in a while, but isn’t there an offset function? you shouldn’t be locked into having the first note always on a downbeat, and you certainly aren’t limited to four on the floor-type stuff.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

buddard
RE Developer

22 May 2018

Here's another quick tip, this time on how you can use the Input Range to have different instances of Euclidean playing different keys on the same instrument. So you can build up complete drum beats this way, or combine it with other players such as Kompulsion or Drum Sequencer to have an algorithmic element on top of your programmed beats.

If you want to do something similar with Euclid Rhythm Generator, you can use several instances and combine them using TM-1 Trigger Multiplexer (which is also on sale right now).

danc

22 May 2018

altron wrote:
19 May 2018
Euclidean Rhythms comes into its own when you start automating the settings and make things morph over time. If you just "set and forget" then you might as well just create something in the sequencer - as you say.
Check my Soundcloud:

altron

23 May 2018

danc wrote:
22 May 2018
altron wrote:
19 May 2018
Euclidean Rhythms comes into its own when you start automating the settings and make things morph over time. If you just "set and forget" then you might as well just create something in the sequencer - as you say.
I guess that's what it is. I have to dig deeper to see what can be done. But the demos (patched and videos) don't exactly blow me out of the armchair.
Trap is where music goes to die.

guitfnky

23 May 2018

altron wrote:
23 May 2018
I guess that's what it is. I have to dig deeper to see what can be done. But the demos (patched and videos) don't exactly blow me out of the armchair.
presets can be a useful starting point, but twisting knobs and pressing buttons is where the real fun begins. 🙃
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

challism

30 May 2018

I really want Euclidean. It looks very useful. I have most of the other Robotic Bean REs, and love them dearly. RBean puts out some great stuff. But since I can't shell out the $39 for Euclidean, I decided to use some of my other REs to get similar results. This is what I did with Euclid, Step Recorder and Lectric Panda's free CV Player TAP, and it's working well (see picture below). It still has the Euclidean rhythms because Euclid is feeding Step (CV clock in), then I have Step going to TAP, and the other players I put under TAP make enable it to be polyphonic (Scales and Chords and Dual Arp running together, for example).

Granted, this isn't playable in a live situation (Step sequencer feeds the notes), but perhaps there is another/similar way to make this sort of thing playable (I'm looking at you, Thor). At the end of the day, Euclidean is the way to go, for sure. I still have my eye on you, Euclidean and a couple other RB REs.... you will be mine.... I'll just do this until I can get the real deal.
Eu.jpg
Eu.jpg (147.59 KiB) Viewed 4800 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

buddard
RE Developer

31 Aug 2018

Euclidean Rhythms has been updated to 1.0.3. It fixes a rare timing issue that would occur at certain combinations of tempo and samplerate.

buddard
RE Developer

05 Oct 2018

Euclidean Rhythms has been updated to 1.1.0, with the same feature addition as TM-1: The LRN buttons can now be latched by double-clicking or Alt-clicking them. Then click on them again to save the value.

manisnotabird

10 May 2019

It behaves very strangely with a Dual Arpeggio in line in front of it. Even with the Euclidean's density at zero, various seemingly random selections of notes from the Dual Arp are making it through to the instrument.

buddard
RE Developer

10 May 2019

manisnotabird wrote:
10 May 2019
It behaves very strangely with a Dual Arpeggio in line in front of it. Even with the Euclidean's density at zero, various seemingly random selections of notes from the Dual Arp are making it through to the instrument.
Thanks for reporting this!

I can't seem to reproduce it on my end, do you think it would be possible for you to send us a combi patch where this problem occurs?

And just a quick thought: Have you double checked the Input Range settings on Euclidean? Because Euclidean will let through any notes that are outside the range.

manisnotabird

10 May 2019

Here's an example: https://ufile.io/xzyje7hk

manisnotabird

10 May 2019

If I put just the Dual Arp in, then "send to track", then delete the Dual Arp and add the Euclidean Rhythm, it behaves like I'd expect it would (producing silence, for example if the density is set to zero).

manisnotabird

10 May 2019

Weird quirk I just noticed sending the Dual Arp to track: some of what should be perfect 16th notes (length set to 100%, rate to 16th notes) are 2 or 3 ticks longer than a 16th note.

buddard
RE Developer

10 May 2019

Thanks, I was able to reproduce it now! :)

We're working on a fix now, will be released as soon as possible!

manisnotabird

10 May 2019

buddard wrote:
10 May 2019
Thanks, I was able to reproduce it now! :)

We're working on a fix now, will be released as soon as possible!
:thumbs_up:

buddard
RE Developer

15 May 2019

And Euclidean 1.1.1 is out!

Fix list:
  • Bug fix: Now behaves correctly inside combinators if "Run Devices" is switched off while the main transport is running
  • Bug fix: Unwanted notes would get passed through the device under certain conditions, even if Density was 0 or an empty step was playing
  • Shiny new Robotic Bean logo!

manisnotabird

15 May 2019

It's now randomly dropping notes when placed after a Dual Arp. :(.

https://ufile.io/zp8k87sj (I sent the notes to track in this file to demonstrate what happens)

manisnotabird

15 May 2019

Again, if I put the Dual Arp in, send the notes to track, delete the Dual Arp, then add the Euclidean, it behaves like I expect it to (no randomly dropped notes).

buddard
RE Developer

15 May 2019

manisnotabird wrote:
15 May 2019
It's now randomly dropping notes when placed after a Dual Arp. :(.

https://ufile.io/zp8k87sj (I sent the notes to track in this file to demonstrate what happens)
Ouch, I didn't notice this as at all when I was testing! There might be some subtle difference in how the two devices sync to the song clock. I'll look into it!

In the meantime, a workaround: If you add a tiny bit of positive Slide on Euclidean, it will give Dual Arp the opportunity to feed it the notes before the step is triggered. For me it was enough with a single tick to fix the problem heard in your song.

Euclidean_1tick_Slide.png
Euclidean_1tick_Slide.png (70.04 KiB) Viewed 3204 times

• Information