The Animus Shimmerverb Ensemble - now in the PropShop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

15 May 2018

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... -ensemble/

Introductory Offer! Only $39 until May 31st!

A first for the Rack Extension format, JPS presents Reason's premier Shimmer Reverb device!

Inspired by the classic 80s effect originally created by Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno, by pitch-shifting a long-decay reverb and applying a high feedback, you can create a shimmering pad that sits under the original signal. The effect is particularly useful on decaying sounds, such as pianos and guitars, yet can be used to create interest to any input audio.

The Animus features up to six independent and highly-tweakable shimmer channels, driven by a long-decaying algorthimic reverb, or a set of high quality convolution impulses, giving you the perfect shimmerverb: from the smooth and the subtle, through to distorting granular pitch effects, you can even layer and mix different shimmer effects within the same device!

The original reverb can be mixed back into the shimmered signal to control the depth of the shimmer itself, while the reverb can be filter-modulated along with the shimmer, or it can bypass the filter.

Animus_Shop_Rack.PNG
Animus_Shop_Rack.PNG (552.28 KiB) Viewed 4915 times

aeox
Competition Winner

15 May 2018

★★★★★

Despondo
Competition Winner

15 May 2018

Nice! Thanks for making this device! Will play a central role in a lot of my tracks. :-)

ohmygoff

15 May 2018

If you're into the Shimmer - amazingness. :thumbs_up:

RandyEspoda

15 May 2018

O1B

15 May 2018

I like the demos so far!

Nicely, nicely laid out. Looks like I'll be wasting lots of time studying this.
Epic movie-level ambiance - from what I felt.

The color is Proper, as well. Any significance to the ultraviolet?

If I wait till June 1st, its cause Im lazy and I dont mind paying the extra $10.
P'head's site is still a pain for me. I Cant easily find REs anymore.

Thanks for this!

djadalaide

15 May 2018

Its magical!

nickb523
RE Developer

15 May 2018

This is very nice. :)

All your stuff has a good angle man... i'd be happy to pitch in some presets in future. ;)

Faastwalker

15 May 2018

It's Amazimus! Lovely effect. Epic. I didn't know I was looking for shimmer and then I found Animus.

Jmax

15 May 2018

Congrats on the release! Another beauty.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Bumbum

16 May 2018

hydline made a review

Loque

16 May 2018

Bumbum wrote:
16 May 2018
hydline made a review
Not available here.
Reason12, Win10

aeox
Competition Winner

16 May 2018

Loque wrote:
16 May 2018
Bumbum wrote:
16 May 2018
hydline made a review
Not available here.
I watched it earlier and it wasn't really a review. It was a 5 min video of him trying to replicate what The Animus does but with Echobode, Polar, and DR-1.

He probably uploaded wrong video on accident?

qn5

16 May 2018

Wondering if I should pick this up, considering I already own Valhalla Shimmer... is this essentially the same style of reverb?
QN5 MUSIC
qn5.com

Bumbum

16 May 2018

Loque wrote:
16 May 2018
Bumbum wrote:
16 May 2018
hydline made a review
Not available here.
ah there was some glitch in video,maybe he uploads the corrected version soon

Faastwalker

16 May 2018

The ReasonExperts Animus video is up;

PSoames

16 May 2018

Wow! This is a thing of beauty and pairing it with the unique sounds of the X-705 and JPS HS is giving me goose-bumps.

Nice touch with the combinators too; is that Esselfortium's avatar?

Really, really good job.

Photoindra

17 May 2018

qn5 wrote:
16 May 2018
Wondering if I should pick this up, considering I already own Valhalla Shimmer... is this essentially the same style of reverb?
I was comparing it yesterday with Valhalla and couldn't even get close to the beautiful and natural sound of Valhalla. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but Animus sounded very digital and thin.

aeox
Competition Winner

17 May 2018

Photoindra wrote:
17 May 2018
qn5 wrote:
16 May 2018
I was comparing it yesterday with Valhalla and couldn't even get close to the beautiful and natural sound of Valhalla. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but Animus sounded very digital and thin.

Can you tell which one is which? :D

I think you can achieve the same sound as Valhalla shimmer easily, but you can't achieve anywhere near the same amount of sounds as Animus with Valhalla.

Photoindra

17 May 2018

aeox wrote:
17 May 2018
Photoindra wrote:
17 May 2018

I think you can achieve the same sound as Valhalla shimmer easily, but you can't achieve anywhere near the same amount of sounds as Animus with Valhalla.
Sounds like the second one is Valhalla :) Great idea using allihoopa for testing. I should do this too and provide an example. I was A/B testing yesterday for 2 hours at night. I love extensions developed by JiggeryPokery and really want to like this one.

aeox
Competition Winner

17 May 2018

Photoindra wrote:
17 May 2018
aeox wrote:
17 May 2018

Sounds like the second one is Valhalla :) Great idea using allihoopa for testing. I should do this too and provide an example. I was A/B testing yesterday for 2 hours at night. I love extensions developed by JiggeryPokery and really want to like this one.
Shimmer 2 is Animus :puf_bigsmile:

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

17 May 2018

aeox wrote:
17 May 2018
Photoindra wrote:
17 May 2018

This pleases me ;)

_______

Regarding thinness, the likely solution will be to adjust the filters. Use the LFP FX Filter (I often went to for BP actually in presets), and/or dial the high pass FX Cut back to allow more low end through, and avoid having too much high end by adjust the low cut up/down as required for enough "sparkle" will avoiding a fatiguing high end. It's a fine balance, is shimmering: I generally erred on the side of caution in presets in regards to low and high end to prevent it immediately swamping everything you guys try it with, which would be equally off-putting to potential users. ;)

If you have Valhala, I can certainly understand there's probably less need for another unless the extra features appeal. As the first proper shimmerverb RE in Reason, I hope people who've not experienced shimmer find lots to love about The Animus!

aeox
Competition Winner

17 May 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
17 May 2018
aeox wrote:
17 May 2018

This pleases me ;)

_______

Regarding thinness, the likely solution will be to adjust the filters. Use the LFP FX Filter (I often went to for BP actually in presets), and/or dial the high pass FX Cut back to allow more low end through, and avoid having too much high end by adjust the low cut up/down as required for enough "sparkle" will avoiding a fatiguing high end. It's a fine balance, is shimmering: I generally erred on the side of caution in presets in regards to low and high end to prevent it immediately swamping everything you guys try it with, which would be equally off-putting to potential users. ;)

If you have Valhala, I can certainly understand there's probably less need for another unless the extra features appeal. As the first proper shimmerverb RE in Reason, I hope people who've not experienced shimmer find lots to love about The Animus!
Yea it was the filter section that is making the "Init" sound thin by default

̶T̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶I̶ ̶m̶a̶d̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶V̶a̶l̶h̶a̶l̶l̶a̶ ̶S̶h̶i̶m̶m̶e̶r̶'̶s̶ ̶d̶e̶f̶a̶u̶l̶t̶:̶ Edit: Nevermind I didn't save it. I'll update after I get some sleep

I think it was a slight variation on the default Init patch
Last edited by aeox on 17 May 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Faastwalker

17 May 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
17 May 2018
I always prefer to buy RE where possible. Loving Animus & the shimmer effect. It's absolutely magical. Purchased yesterday evening to take advantage of the intro price. One of the best RE's in a while IMO.

jimmyklane

17 May 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
15 May 2018
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... -ensemble/

Introductory Offer! Only $39 until May 31st!

A first for the Rack Extension format, JPS presents Reason's premier Shimmer Reverb device!

Inspired by the classic 80s effect originally created by Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno, by pitch-shifting a long-decay reverb and applying a high feedback, you can create a shimmering pad that sits under the original signal. The effect is particularly useful on decaying sounds, such as pianos and guitars, yet can be used to create interest to any input audio.

The Animus features up to six independent and highly-tweakable shimmer channels, driven by a long-decaying algorthimic reverb, or a set of high quality convolution impulses, giving you the perfect shimmerverb: from the smooth and the subtle, through to distorting granular pitch effects, you can even layer and mix different shimmer effects within the same device!

The original reverb can be mixed back into the shimmered signal to control the depth of the shimmer itself, while the reverb can be filter-modulated along with the shimmer, or it can bypass the filter.

Animus_Shop_Rack.PNG
So....I’ve got my 30-day trial that started today, and I’m already in love with the sound, however, I want to clarify some of the terms that you’re using:

“DELAY”—this is the delay line for the entire section (up to 4 seconds)

“SAMPLES”—this is the “splice time” like what would be used in an Eventide “crystals” patch (???)

“QUALITY”—this sounds like the bit depth of the delay lines...am I on base here?

“CLOCK RATE”—for the BBD, this is how quickly the overall timing circuit cycles through the virtual capacitors, and causes aliasing just as it would in a true analog system.

Pitch, mod, and filter are self-explanatory....but I’m unsure about the Reverb—>Shimmer signal path. Are the pitched delays sent through the reverb before the feedback circuit? If there is a manual for this product I haven’t been able to find it, but I would LOVE to have a breakdown of exactly what it’s features and functions are.

BTW: this is very very deep and sounds amazing! Nice work putting this all together!
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

• Information