The Animus Shimmerverb Ensemble - now in the PropShop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Photoindra

18 May 2018

aeox wrote:
17 May 2018

Yea it was the filter section that is making the "Init" sound thin by default
Thanks. That helped. I definetly going to play around more. And mixing 30% of Valhalla with 70% Animus is fun too:

Steedus
Competition Winner

18 May 2018

I am genuinely confused .. Am I missing something with the convo reverbs? They seem extremely short. Like the "Large Halls - Long Hall" reverb cuts off after 3 seconds at full decay. Similarly most of the others I tested abruptly cut off (albeit with a quick fadeout) within the 2 - 3 second range. Is this just a limitation of the impulses used, or am I missing some setting? I was hoping this would be suitable for ambient guitar drone-y type stuff..

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

18 May 2018

Steedus wrote:
18 May 2018
I am genuinely confused .. Am I missing something with the convo reverbs? They seem extremely short. Like the "Large Halls - Long Hall" reverb cuts off after 3 seconds at full decay. Similarly most of the others I tested abruptly cut off (albeit with a quick fadeout) within the 2 - 3 second range. Is this just a limitation of the impulses used, or am I missing some setting? I was hoping this would be suitable for ambient guitar drone-y type stuff..
It's absolutely suitable for ambient guitar droney- stuff!! I'm actually really surprised at this, especially given one tester pulled out precisely because the reverbs are long! The algorithmic reverb is moreorless infinite, and has the advantage of being adjustable, whereas convolutions don't anyway. ;)

It seems to me there aren't what we might consider "long" convolutions out there: they do seen to top out at 3-6 seconds. Most real-space reverb recordings probably aren't longer than that.

I used my own hardware convolutions from earlier products and sourced some additional royalty-free ones as listed where required in the user manual, and then I also combined a few. I've seen nothing that's longer than what I've included. Creating new ultra-long convol reverbs, what would be the simple alternative? Well, it would most likely be to use a software algorithmic Hall reverb anyway. And that's right there in the default mode.

Sure, I suppose I could have created new long convols from a software hall or plate: but that would be cheating, even misleading you, wouldn't it? I'd guess there are people out there who would happily do that without hesitation, and probably have, banging out a free-version-Voxengo-job on an RV7K Hall and disingenuously saving it as "My Actual Convolution of The Sistine Chapel" or something.

I don't disagree with you some longer convols would be nice (and I was also conscious during building of the 200MB upload limit, things get problematic about this, the GUI alone on a 2D project of this size is around 150MB) but my view is anything not within The Animus, is probably acheivable simply by adding a different algo reverb before it (setting The Animus' reverb decay to 0 if need be). The result would still be the similar as any equally long convol you find, because chances are it was probably an algo to start with.

That said, if you or anyone knows of any genuinely royalty-free and commercially reproducible ultra-long convolutions of the Sistine Chapel—or any other lovely space!— I'm all ears and I'll more than happily add them in an update. ;) If people explicitly want me to recreate the, ahem, Cystene Chapel in software, I'll boot that Deconvolver up right away. :lol:

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

18 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
17 May 2018

“DELAY”—this is the delay line for the entire section (up to 4 seconds)

“SAMPLES”—this is the “splice time” like what would be used in an Eventide “crystals” patch (???)

“QUALITY”—this sounds like the bit depth of the delay lines...am I on base here?

“CLOCK RATE”—for the BBD, this is how quickly the overall timing circuit cycles through the virtual capacitors, and causes aliasing just as it would in a true analog system.

Pitch, mod, and filter are self-explanatory....but I’m unsure about the Reverb—>Shimmer signal path. Are the pitched delays sent through the reverb before the feedback circuit? If there is a manual for this product I haven’t been able to find it, but I would LOVE to have a breakdown of exactly what it’s features and functions are.

BTW: this is very very deep and sounds amazing! Nice work putting this all together!
Yes / Maybe (I've not used it!) / Yes / Yes but I've left if turned off by default as frankly I don't think it's as useful here as in our BBD delay and chorus devices, just there was no reason not to include this function for deconstructive shimmers ;) / and No, but I'd suggest that setup, especially across six channels, would potentially be a lot of CPU time to add reverb to the each feedback loop. FYI, we ruled that out for Steerpike. But I can't say more there yet ;)

The manual link is on right the shop page. :) I stopped linking to my site in the product text when PH finally added support for support documents!

EdGrip

18 May 2018

All this shimmer talk inspired me to do some good ol' experimenting last night. Sending a send channel to its own mix channel (which you're all doing anyway, right?) and then sending that mix channel to the same send. Things can get very, y'know, exciting, pretty quickly.
Loads of fun to be had!

Loque

18 May 2018

EdGrip wrote:
18 May 2018
All this shimmer talk inspired me to do some good ol' experimenting last night. Sending a send channel to its own mix channel (which you're all doing anyway, right?) and then sending that mix channel to the same send. Things can get very, y'know, exciting, pretty quickly.
Loads of fun to be had!
I had with this technique pretty fast some hard feedback loops. I use a delay in between, that means 2 send fx, one delay and one reverb. Send the signal to the reverb, which will be send to the delay, which will send to the reverb again. Now use a delay with a breakout and add some pitch shifting, frequencey shifting, parallel filtering with high resonance, additional delay and reverbs, and you are in heaven...
Reason12, Win10

Steedus
Competition Winner

18 May 2018

Thanks for the response JP. That makes sense - sorry don't mind me, I'm a n00b when it comes to convolution reverb. Just something I noticed... I just thought something weird was going on, because to me they sound like they intentionally fade out "unnaturally", like the decay falls linearly for 2 or 3 seconds, then quickly fades off.

But anywho .. yes the algo reverb is nice and long, and the spring reverbs on their own make this a brilliant 'spring tank' reverb for guitar. There's ALOT to like here.

jimmyklane

18 May 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
18 May 2018
Steedus wrote:
18 May 2018
It's absolutely suitable for ambient guitar droney- stuff!! I'm actually really surprised at this, especially given one tester pulled out precisely because the reverbs are long! The algorithmic reverb is moreorless infinite, and has the advantage of being adjustable, whereas convolutions don't anyway. ;)

It seems to me there aren't what we might consider "long" convolutions out there: they do seen to top out at 3-6 seconds. Most real-space reverb recordings probably aren't longer than that.

I used my own hardware convolutions from earlier products and sourced some additional royalty-free ones as listed where required in the user manual, and then I also combined a few. I've seen nothing that's longer than what I've included. Creating new ultra-long convol reverbs, what would be the simple alternative? Well, it would most likely be to use a software algorithmic Hall reverb anyway. And that's right there in the default mode.

Sure, I suppose I could have created new long convols from a software hall or plate: but that would be cheating, even misleading you, wouldn't it? I'd guess there are people out there who would happily do that without hesitation, and probably have, banging out a free-version-Voxengo-job on an RV7K Hall and disingenuously saving it as "My Actual Convolution of The Sistine Chapel" or something.

I don't disagree with you some longer convols would be nice (and I was also conscious during building of the 200MB upload limit, things get problematic about this, the GUI alone on a 2D project of this size is around 150MB) but my view is anything not within The Animus, is probably acheivable simply by adding a different algo reverb before it (setting The Animus' reverb decay to 0 if need be). The result would still be the similar as any equally long convol you find, because chances are it was probably an algo to start with.

That said, if you or anyone knows of any genuinely royalty-free and commercially reproducible ultra-long convolutions of the Sistine Chapel—or any other lovely space!— I'm all ears and I'll more than happily add them in an update. ;) If people explicitly want me to recreate the, ahem, Cystene Chapel in software, I'll boot that Deconvolver up right away. :lol:
The problem the original poster pointed out, and that I’ve noticed too is that the convo verbs simply cut off. As in they decay normally for a few seconds and then instantly cut. Every one I’ve tried does this, and all of the convolution IRs I own (thousands over all these years) none of them do this. My question to you: is this intentional behavior? If it is, then that’s cool. If not, perhaps they could use a quick fade at the end or something. As for super long “real space” verbs...you’re probably right. I’ve got a bunch that I’ve made from my own hardware (mostly Eventide and Lexicon) that are much longer, but the real spaces tend to fade out at 6-8 seconds unless stretched.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

18 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
18 May 2018

The problem the original poster pointed out, and that I’ve noticed too is that the convo verbs simply cut off. As in they decay normally for a few seconds and then instantly cut.
Having a closer look now. I'm not sure. The decay of Huge in RV7K is actually far shorter than in Animus with 100% reverb wet (no shimmer), max decay times

So reverb only, after the note is released:
verb.PNG
verb.PNG (43.73 KiB) Viewed 2804 times

I also note there's a massive DC offset on RV7K (6% on the right channel!!).

I'm just wondering, could the "cut-off" effect you're noticing simply be a side-effect of an abrupt end to the note being played through it?

jimmyklane

18 May 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
18 May 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
18 May 2018

The problem the original poster pointed out, and that I’ve noticed too is that the convo verbs simply cut off. As in they decay normally for a few seconds and then instantly cut.
Having a closer look now. I'm not sure. The decay of Huge in RV7K is actually far shorter than in Animus with 100% reverb wet (no shimmer), max decay times

So reverb only, after the note is released:

verb.PNG

I also note there's a massive DC offset on RV7K (6% on the right channel!!).

I'm just wondering, could the "cut-off" effect you're noticing simply be a side-effect of an abrupt end to the note being played through it?
That’s possible, yes. I’ve been sending both synth EP type sounds as well as abrupt staccato notes all to get a handle on what it’s doing. I think part of the issue is that there are SIX shimmer delay lines, along with a reverb mixed in. I’m very much used to my H3000 which I think is probably less complex in terms of raw modules. With the H4000 I can use VSig to see the algorithm but no such luck with the H3000. I spent a few hours this morning coming to grips with parameters I am not at all used to dealing with (nice touch to give this much control and still keep the underlying DSP together!) and to be truthful, I’ve been trying to emulate instead of allowing it to be its own creation. I’m going to play around again tonight, except using a piano instead of synths, so I can get a more organic feel for what’s happening under the hood.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

guitfnky

18 May 2018

bought Animus, Steerpike, and Chenille. been a long time since I’ve bought anything other than compressors and EQs. time to have some fun for once... 🦄🐐
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

miscend

19 May 2018

Is this similar to the shimmer setting on the Strymon Bigsky.

Catblack

20 May 2018

Just a test here of using Pump after an Animus to get a gating effect.

If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Faastwalker

23 May 2018

Have to bump this back onto the front page where it belongs ;) Really loving this RE

Just a reminder that's it on sale until the end of the month as well.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

28 May 2018

Mann... I really love this RE.

Such an inspiring and good sounding tool! Really worth it's price!

Melody303

24 Aug 2018

I went to check this out now with the sale going, and unfortunately it chokes my system out on more than half of the presets I've tried, but I don't want to waste my trial on account of that. Does anyone have any specific recommendations of presets to try out or specific settings to play with? (note I'm not looking for subtle effects here)
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Aug 2018

Melody303 wrote:
24 Aug 2018
I went to check this out now with the sale going, and unfortunately it chokes my system out on more than half of the presets I've tried, but I don't want to waste my trial on account of that. Does anyone have any specific recommendations of presets to try out or specific settings to play with? (note I'm not looking for subtle effects here)
What do you mean? DSP? I had my finger on the buy button before I read this. What system are you running?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Melody303

24 Aug 2018

MrFigg wrote:
24 Aug 2018
Melody303 wrote:
24 Aug 2018
What do you mean? DSP? I had my finger on the buy button before I read this. What system are you running?
Yeah, DSP. It's an AMD 8350 with 8GB of RAM.
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Aug 2018

Melody303 wrote:
24 Aug 2018
MrFigg wrote:
24 Aug 2018

Yeah, DSP. It's an AMD 8350 with 8GB of RAM.
Old? New?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

24 Aug 2018

Melody303 wrote:
24 Aug 2018
I tried it on an pretty old i7 and it worked quite well. Can you please give some more info? Maybe what OS and what power management do you use? As an example, if i use an avarage power savings settings i get crackles and half of DSP is full on simple stuff. If i use high power settings, the DSP meter is not event winking most of the time (yea, ok, if i have a bunch of stuff in it, it does...). So, please provide more info, before you talk about performance problems.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Aug 2018

Hmmm. You know, for the last five years I haven’t trialed a single RE before buying. I did a lot when they were first introduced. CPU hit was something I never even considered but this post has got me thinking. I should maybe trial this first just to be sure or maybe I’m just worrying unnecessarily. More info please.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

24 Aug 2018

MrFigg wrote:
24 Aug 2018
Hmmm. You know, for the last five years I haven’t trialed a single RE before buying. I did a lot when they were first introduced. CPU hit was something I never even considered but this post has got me thinking. I should maybe trial this first just to be sure or maybe I’m just worrying unnecessarily. More info please.
Relax. Trying is always a good advice before you seriously consider buying stuff. Reverbs are expensive in general. Nothing special about performance from my side, when i tried Animus on an old i7.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Aug 2018

Loque wrote:
24 Aug 2018
MrFigg wrote:
24 Aug 2018
Relax. Trying is always a good advice before you seriously consider buying stuff. Reverbs are expensive in general. Nothing special about performance from my side, when i tried Animus on an old i7.
Cool. Relaxed and ready. Push the button.
Incidentally, I’ve got all the reverbs I need. It’s the shimmer I’m after :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

24 Aug 2018

MrFigg wrote:
24 Aug 2018
Loque wrote:
24 Aug 2018

Cool. Relaxed and ready. Push the button.
Incidentally, I’ve got all the reverbs I need. It’s the shimmer I’m after :).
You gonna luv it...
Reason12, Win10

aeox
Competition Winner

24 Aug 2018

Really love this device for it's shimmer section combined with DR-1 Reverb!

• Information