Players Challenge - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
tiker01

20 May 2018

It is rather quiet here! Are you struggling with making the videos or everyone is polishing their creation to perfection?

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

BRIGGS

20 May 2018

tiker01 wrote:
20 May 2018
It is rather quiet here! Are you struggling with making the videos or everyone is polishing their creation to perfection?
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the rules. I have been playing around though. Not sure about submitting anything yet.
r11s

Bes
Competition Winner

21 May 2018

yea i dont know at this stage. i got started on a set up that i like but I've also caught a nasty flu and have never made a video before so i feel the learning curve might be beyond me for this event :(
- Certified Reason expert

Loque

21 May 2018

tiker01 wrote:
20 May 2018
Videos... Never done that before. No software yet. And still not sure about the rules. Lot of stuff for rare time.
Reason12, Win10

xplaur

22 May 2018

Hi folks!
I might be too late for this one, but a couple of questions, I have: trial version of those third party Player devices are accepted, or just the full versions? Certain level required or everyone is welcome for a shot?

Cheers!

QVprod

22 May 2018

xplaur wrote:
22 May 2018
Hi folks!
I might be too late for this one, but a couple of questions, I have: trial version of those third party Player devices are accepted, or just the full versions? Certain level required or everyone is welcome for a shot?

Cheers!
You're not too late. Trial versions are expected to be used as the prizes are the player rack extensions themselves. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by certain level required, but this challenge is open to everyone.

*sidenote: trial Rack extensions are the same as the full versions. The only difference is the 30 day limit on trials.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 May 2018

tiker01 wrote:
20 May 2018
I could be wrong but I think it's just too much stuff going on at once for most people to join. The challenge seems to be confusing to many people.

Lots of rules to follow. The challenge itself probably makes sense from a judge perspective, but from a creative perspective your met with a wall of rules/restrictions. And only using players as a way to write music perhaps isn't the most intuitive way of writing music. (maybe that's just me)
It's 7 new REs to get your head around in a pretty limited time.
The submission rules alone are most likely too much for most people to join. Making a video, combinator patches, song file. Are they all being judged? What's important? The song, the video, the patches? It's pretty confusing.
And it's also likely many people don't have any experience making videos (or even want to make videos).

And unrelated, there is also the May Madness sale going on. People are probably busy checking out potential RE to buy.

I don't know. Maybe keep things simpler for the next challenge. Not trying to be an asshole, just want to share my thoughts.
Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, it's great that these challenges exist and I think a lot of Reason folks appreciate them.

joeyluck

22 May 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
22 May 2018
tiker01 wrote:
20 May 2018
I could be wrong but I think it's just too much stuff going on at once for most people to join. The challenge seems to be confusing to many people.

Lots of rules to follow. The challenge itself probably makes sense from a judge perspective, but from a creative perspective your met with a wall of rules/restrictions. And only using players as a way to write music perhaps isn't the most intuitive way of writing music. (maybe that's just me)
The submission rules alone are most likely too much for most people to join. Making a video, combinator patches, song file. Are they all being judged? What's important? The song, the video, the patches? It's pretty confusing.
And it's also likely many people don't have any experience making videos (or even want to make videos).

And unrelated, there is also the May Madness sale going on. People are probably busy checking out potential RE to buy.

I don't know. Maybe keep things simpler for the next challenge. Not trying to be an asshole, just want to share my thoughts.
Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, it's great that these challenges exist and I think a lot of Reason folks appreciate them.
Simply put, the competition focuses on the Players. And because Players by themselves don't make sound, it's nice to see them in action. The judges want to see and hear and want the public to see how you are using the Players. So the video really is the primary focus. There is no strict guideline on the format of the video and how it is presented. It can be with dialogue, with captions, or just screen capture by itself with details in the YouTube description. You can lead into a song with an explanation or just take off.

There are seven Players in the prize pool and three people will win them all. It's a $203 value (considering the current sales) and a $229 regularly priced value. Sorry for any confusion in the rules. You must use all the players since the prize pool for each winner is all of the players. For simplicity, the rest is limited to Reason devices, because again, the focus is the utilization of Players.

Folks are free to ask any questions if anything is unclear. But in the end, those who put forth the effort will be the ones with a chance to win the prizes :puf_smile:

eusti

22 May 2018

I agree that the rules seem to be too complex. At least too complex for me to dive deeper and want to participate.

D.

tiker01

22 May 2018

joeyluck wrote:
22 May 2018
TritoneAddiction wrote:
22 May 2018

Simply put, the competition focuses on the Players. And because Players by themselves don't make sound, it's nice to see them in action. The judges want to see and hear and want the public to see how you are using the Players. So the video really is the primary focus. There is no strict guideline on the format of the video and how it is presented. It can be with dialogue, with captions, or just screen capture by itself with details in the YouTube description. You can lead into a song with an explanation or just take off.

There are seven Players in the prize pool and three people will win them all. It's a $203 value (considering the current sales) and a $229 regularly priced value. Sorry for any confusion in the rules. You must use all the players since the prize pool for each winner is all of the players. For simplicity, the rest is limited to Reason devices, because again, the focus is the utilization of Players.

Folks are free to ask any questions if anything is unclear. But in the end, those who put forth the effort will be the ones with a chance to win the prizes :puf_smile:
The video doesn`t need to be Ryan Harlin good. You could even use your mobile to make the video and bounce the audio of Reason and sync it to it. I guess you can even do that on an iPad or similar.

To help you a free screen recorder is mentioned in the rules and a link to a tutorial is added as well.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 May 2018

joeyluck wrote:
22 May 2018
TritoneAddiction wrote:
22 May 2018

Yeah I understand that this challenge has to be set up in a different way compared to a normal synth challenge. That makes sense.

To be honest I wasn't commenting from my own perspective of participating or not since I'm not even interested in any players, new or old. So it's very likely I wouldn't have entered this particular challenge whatever the rules where.

Putting my own motivation aside I was more trying to make an objective observation on why more people probably aren't joining the challenge. The rules may seem logical and all, but if people as artists don't feel inspired by them then it's less likely they'll enter. After all how something feels matters a lot when it comes to music and creativity. Logic matters less.
Again I say all this not to put the people down who set this challenge up. I say it because I want these awesome challenges to continue here at RT with a lot of participation. They're great and we're all greatful people make the effort to set them up..

We'll see what happens. There's still time left. Maybe more people will join. That would be great. Looking forward to hear what people come up with.

joeyluck

22 May 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
22 May 2018
joeyluck wrote:
22 May 2018

Yeah I understand that this challenge has to be set up in a different way compared to a normal synth challenge. That makes sense.

To be honest I wasn't commenting from my own perspective of participating or not since I'm not even interested in any players, new or old. So it's very likely I wouldn't have entered this particular challenge whatever the rules where.

Putting my own motivation aside I was more trying to make an objective observation on why more people probably aren't joining the challenge. The rules may seem logical and all, but if people as artists don't feel inspired by them then it's less likely they'll enter. After all how something feels matters a lot when it comes to music and creativity. Logic matters less.
Again I say all this not to put the people down who set this challenge up. I say it because I want these awesome challenges to continue here at RT with a lot of participation. They're great and we're all greatful people make the effort to set them up..

We'll see what happens. There's still time left. Maybe more people will join. That would be great. Looking forward to hear what people come up with.
Oh for sure. We'll see what happens. Still five days left. Thanks for voicing your opinion.

joeyluck

22 May 2018

tiker01 wrote:
22 May 2018

The video doesn`t need to be Ryan Harlin good. You could even use your mobile to make the video and bounce the audio of Reason and sync it to it. I guess you can even do that on an iPad or similar.

To help you a free screen recorder is mentioned in the rules and a link to a tutorial is added as well.
Another option for screen capture for macOS is Quicktime (already installed).

Just open Quicktime.
Go to 'File' > 'New Screen Recording'
You can define what audio you would like to record, I use Soundflower from Reason.
You can also define if you would like to record the whole screen or part of it.
Very light and simple to use.

Aosta

22 May 2018

Personally it just seems like a lot hassle and time not just learning the players and how they fit into Reason but coming up with a concept, theme, track and then putting together a video of it all for presentation. Also the percentage of reason users interested in fully diving into players is not that big.
I'm think it would be like someone doing a video challenge of how people use blocks to construct a track and the process involved. Blocks aren't for everyone and I'm guessing neither are the players.
Tend the flame

Galaxy

23 May 2018

Reason for not entering the challenge = not wanting to waste trials for every available player in the store. Have to use all players and not all players work into production methods. Can't make videos on shitty computer. Quality of video has to make a difference and be considered for marketing purposes. Judges might be different this time around cause so many designers extensions being used but never impressed me the tastes of judges selections in the past. Different strokes I guess. Would have been better to break up this challenge on a per player basis.

Re8et
Competition Winner

23 May 2018

Grab Obs recorder. It's free. Make new window with :re: reason open and boom.
I had to struggle with the record output because it would not listen to the main asio reason used, and I failed for two days at making it listen the virtual return mix (which I remember once Imade it work), Instead I had to use the return usb driver from my Allen and Heath mixer (which works as audio card). Windows I would have like to have added in youtube but nope, they removed windows pop ups, so plugging in blender would have taken me two weeks just to re learn how to make windows not flickering bad....

5 days left? I do not like the feeling like, I won first prize ... and then... yeah, you were alone, p#^*%* :)
Last edited by Re8et on 23 May 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Re8et
Competition Winner

23 May 2018

Galaxy wrote:
23 May 2018
Reason for not entering the challenge = not wanting to waste trials for every available player in the store. Have to use all players and not all players work into production methods. Can't make videos on shitty computer. Quality of video has to make a difference and be considered for marketing purposes. Judges might be different this time around cause so many designers extensions being used but never impressed me the tastes of judges selections in the past. Different strokes I guess. Would have been better to break up this challenge on a per player basis.
I agree the editing part is quite tuff, and youtube took off the windows/messages popo ups for marketing reason... I too did not have enough time for it, I'm right into a firestorm, that's why I kinda rushed it, no fancy editing, but it's something that interests me, and I could get back into this, :thumbs_up:

tofu
Competition Winner

23 May 2018

hi, here is my entry to the challenge, tried a one matrix song without going to deep on the technical side
hope that makes sense

will email the rns

joeyluck

23 May 2018

tofu wrote:
23 May 2018
hi, here is my entry to the challenge, tried a one matrix song without going to deep on the technical side
hope that makes sense

will email the rns
:thumbs_up:

Thanks, tofu! Good luck!

Bes
Competition Winner

23 May 2018

I do so enjoy these challenges but I am going straight back to bed after this. I'm glad I was able to get this in one take, I do not think I would have had the energy for multiple takes to fix the volume level or remember all the things I should have described like how the combinator is being strummed over three octaves and being key split to the three ID8 devices or the use of probablity on the high hats or the pattern automation of the strumming but I hope this fulfills the criteria.

Good luck to all the entries

- Certified Reason expert

Boombastix
Competition Winner

23 May 2018

Hello, I uploaded my video. This was quite a challenge, to learn so many devices, come up with some innovative use that makes musical sense, and then make a song. Sorry for the sub-par voice quality, had to learn how to make and edit videos too. Phew! First I play the song, then I go over how I use them and connect players between combinators too. One such connection is to transpose several instruments with Midi note change in the sequencer, the other cross-connection is to rob the already transposed Midi from one combinator to the next. Forgot to mention that the Grain sound is a stock clarinet wave, and the reverse noise/crash is a stock cymbal both with a some of effects. There is also panning from L-R automation of percussion in the sequencer. I think I was able to explain everything else. I hope you like the ideas.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

tiker01

24 May 2018

tofu wrote:
23 May 2018
hope that makes sense

will email the rns
Could you please upload the Reason file and combis and PM me a link?

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite

asterionmusic
Competition Winner

24 May 2018

Artist: Asterion Music Project
Song: Ale Pinta
Genere: Rock, Electrorock
Reason 10.1 (demo)
Windows 10 64 bits
Video:

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

24 May 2018

Managed to keep this short ;) LOL

Here is my entry.

PoohBear

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

• Information