Selig NoteView

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
seqoi

08 May 2018

Yes!!! https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... -noteview/

Such trivial and simple device yet so good. I missed something like that from Ableton workflow!

Thanks for that!!

Re8et
Competition Winner

08 May 2018

wait......... players have cv in out now?????????????

selig
RE Developer

08 May 2018

Re8et wrote:wait......... players have cv in out now?????????????
Yes, hallelujah! ;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Voyager

08 May 2018

I tried but wasn't able to make it work. How can i make this player work with a matrix hooked to a cv tuner ?

selig
RE Developer

08 May 2018

Voyager wrote:I tried but wasn't able to make it work. How can i make this player work with a matrix hooked to a cv tuner ?
This player doesn’t transpose cv. Could be an interesting update though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Parameter

08 May 2018

Hey Selig,

1) Thanks for this new device

2) Could you please add an area which would show the exact name of a note a user is pressing eg C4#.

If there are several notes pressed - then it would show all of them like, C4, D5b, E6

Possible?

selig
RE Developer

08 May 2018

Parameter wrote:Hey Selig,

1) Thanks for this new device

2) Could you please add an area which would show the exact name of a note a user is pressing eg C4#.

If there are several notes pressed - then it would show all of them like, C4, D5b, E6

Possible?
Yes, totally possible. Will need to make room for it on the panel, but otherwise I agree it would be a great addition. :)

Selig Audio, LLC

seqoi

09 May 2018

Awesome!!

I hope many people buy this. Because it is...awesome !

Pralijah

15 May 2018

To transpose in realtime is incredible useful. Have it in trial. Use it all the time.
Make music shake again!

ljekio

19 May 2018

Amazing simple and usable Player, Selig!
Transposition in the Reason never been so easy before :)
Thanks!

Catblack

19 May 2018

I woke up this morning wondering if I put two NoteViews together, but one transposed up 7 octaves and one transposed -6 if the notes off the range would be cut off. But alas, they weren't.

I still think there needs to be a player that acts as a note gate or key range if you want to call it that. So you can add players but only notes in the range you specify get passed to players below. To me it's the last missing piece for true modular player heaven.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Robert

20 May 2018

Catblack wrote:
19 May 2018
I still think there needs to be a player that acts as a note gate or key range if you want to call it that. So you can add players but only notes in the range you specify get passed to players below. To me it's the last missing piece for true modular player heaven.
+1

selig
RE Developer

20 May 2018

Catblack wrote:I woke up this morning wondering if I put two NoteViews together, but one transposed up 7 octaves and one transposed -6 if the notes off the range would be cut off. But alas, they weren't.

A note filter, like a Combinator? I’ve received that suggestion already (was it you?) and agree it’s a good idea.

Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

21 May 2018

Voyager wrote:
08 May 2018
I tried but wasn't able to make it work. How can i make this player work with a matrix hooked to a cv tuner ?
Put the synth in a Combinator. Connect Matrix to the Combinator. Add the player to the synth in the Combinator. Or use a CV to MIDI converter like the free one from lectric panda.
Reason12, Win10

Boombastix
Competition Winner

24 May 2018

This can be very useful when auditioning sounds and preset. Like when you go through bass presets that differ by an octave, then you just change the octave right in the rack. Or when you audition an NN-XT patch with many snares, then you can transpose one semi tone at the time and just scroll through the sounds as the sequencer is looping.

However, now you need to click the little box and drag with the mouse and it is a bit fiddly. Would be great if the was a pair of "+" and "-" button for each of the Midi octave and Midi semi tone transpose to make the 100% user friendly. I think you can move things a bit to make space, looks like it Whadda ya think?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

manisnotabird

28 May 2018

Wish there was a "release time". Short notes can be hard to see, and it would be cool if they faded out a little more gradually when the gate turns off.

Catblack

15 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
20 May 2018
Catblack wrote:I woke up this morning wondering if I put two NoteViews together, but one transposed up 7 octaves and one transposed -6 if the notes off the range would be cut off. But alas, they weren't.

A note filter, like a Combinator? I’ve received that suggestion already (was it you?) and agree it’s a good idea.

I do think there should be a more dedicated 'keyrange' player. Something that lets you filter out a range of notes. But I also think that you should change the transpose behavior of NoteView.

The issue is that the midi note range is 0 (C-2) to 127 (G8) so if you transpose NoteView up too far, you end up with a G, or transpose down too far and all your notes are C-2. I think NoteView should cut the notes out that are not in range. So you at least get the musical note you expect or nothing in those cases. (Maybe flash the left/right arrows to show note out of range?)

Keep in mind that with, for example, adding a Scales and Chords player above a transposed NoteView, you could easily have a higher octave note added that could get turned into a G8 all of a sudden.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

selig
RE Developer

17 Jun 2018

Boombastix wrote:
24 May 2018
This can be very useful when auditioning sounds and preset. Like when you go through bass presets that differ by an octave, then you just change the octave right in the rack. Or when you audition an NN-XT patch with many snares, then you can transpose one semi tone at the time and just scroll through the sounds as the sequencer is looping.

However, now you need to click the little box and drag with the mouse and it is a bit fiddly. Would be great if the was a pair of "+" and "-" button for each of the Midi octave and Midi semi tone transpose to make the 100% user friendly. I think you can move things a bit to make space, looks like it Whadda ya think?
Noted, will try to add in next update!
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

17 Jun 2018

manisnotabird wrote:
28 May 2018
Wish there was a "release time". Short notes can be hard to see, and it would be cool if they faded out a little more gradually when the gate turns off.
Good idea, maybe a minimum "on time" for every note, so that longer notes are not affected but shorter notes hold a little extra?
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

17 Jun 2018

Catblack wrote:
15 Jun 2018
selig wrote:
20 May 2018

I do think there should be a more dedicated 'keyrange' player. Something that lets you filter out a range of notes. But I also think that you should change the transpose behavior of NoteView.

The issue is that the midi note range is 0 (C-2) to 127 (G8) so if you transpose NoteView up too far, you end up with a G, or transpose down too far and all your notes are C-2. I think NoteView should cut the notes out that are not in range. So you at least get the musical note you expect or nothing in those cases. (Maybe flash the left/right arrows to show note out of range?)

Keep in mind that with, for example, adding a Scales and Chords player above a transposed NoteView, you could easily have a higher octave note added that could get turned into a G8 all of a sudden.
OK good points. But allow me to counter: how often to you WANT to hear a note of 0 or 1, or 126 or 127? Those are not very useful (musical) pitches, right?

Can you show me the example that caused this problem for you so I can understand the use case?

Another option would be to extend the range above/below the 0-127 range so that even if transposed many octaves up/down, you could still "un-transpose" and get back to where you started? If you just cut off notes, you cannot ever get them back! Thoughts?
Selig Audio, LLC

Boombastix
Competition Winner

17 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
17 Jun 2018
Boombastix wrote:
24 May 2018

Noted, will try to add in next update!
Sweet, life is getting better by the day :lol: :thumbs_up:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

manisnotabird

09 Nov 2018

I'm using a Matrix with the gate and note CV outs from the Matrix going to the gate and note CV ins on the NoteView. C3 on the matrix is no transposition as expected. C#3 transposes up one semitone, D3 two semitones, etc, except when I get to C4, which is only transposing up 11 semitones, same as B3! C#4 then transponses up 13 semitones!

selig
RE Developer

09 Nov 2018

manisnotabird wrote:
09 Nov 2018
I'm using a Matrix with the gate and note CV outs from the Matrix going to the gate and note CV ins on the NoteView. C3 on the matrix is no transposition as expected. C#3 transposes up one semitone, D3 two semitones, etc, except when I get to C4, which is only transposing up 11 semitones, same as B3! C#4 then transponses up 13 semitones!
That's really weird - transposing down works as expected, as does every other note except C4. That one slipped by for sure. In testing, I also see the problem with RPG8, but not with the new Dual Arp when converted by LoveOne's MIDI-CV Player or with Thor or Korde.

Will have to dig deeper into this one…thanks for the heads up!
Selig Audio, LLC

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2019

Any sign of any of the update suggestions being implemented.
This for example: “ 2) Could you please add an area which would show the exact name of a note a user is pressing eg C4#.“
I’m working nights just now and about to press the buy button on this :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2019

MrFigg wrote:
09 Feb 2019
Any sign of any of the update suggestions being implemented.
This for example: “ 2) Could you please add an area which would show the exact name of a note a user is pressing eg C4#.“
I’m working nights just now and about to press the buy button on this :).
Now that I think about it (a bit fuzzy after being awake for 72 hours) the only person who can answer this question is probably Giles himself. The functionality of seeing the name of the note I press is pretty much the most important part for me. I think there’s a chord name RE but it’s the Selig one I want as it does other stuff I could use. That in addition to loving all his other REs obviously. So if you’re reading this Giles is there any likelihood that this’ll be added in a future update :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information